• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaga Legions DX - First REAL trailer

jvm

Gamasutra.
jetsetfluken said:
Release date came out of nowhere, so out of nowhere that there's still no PS3 date...sigh

Next week maybe?
There was an update to the Namco Generations news page you can view through Pac-man CE DX on the PS3. It says sorry that the game's not out yet, but they'll have it out soon, they hope. Also, no updates to Namco Generations news page until Galaga Legions DX PS3 is out.

Sounds to me like they thought it would come out by now, but didn't happen. I imagine it could be related to the PSN outage...

duckroll

This game is not coming out on PSN because as a Japanese game from a Japanese company they do not want to release it before the Japanese audience can get it. Since the Playstation Store is STILL down in Japan, Namco has decided to release it on XBLA only, until the Store is back in Japan. Everyone suffers for the sins of a few.

Was just playing the OG version the other day - really great, fun game. If some of the original staff are on this, I'm totally picking it up.

jvm

Gamasutra.
duckroll said:
This game is not coming out on PSN because as a Japanese game from a Japanese company they do not want to release it before the Japanese audience can get it. Since the Playstation Store is STILL down in Japan, Namco has decided to release it on XBLA only, until the Store is back in Japan. Everyone suffers for the sins of a few.
Are there no exceptions to this? I get the feeling you're saying it's a general rule, but I can't tell if you're serious that it's an absolute rule.

duckroll

jvm said:
Are there no exceptions to this? I get the feeling you're saying it's a general rule, but I can't tell if you're serious that it's an absolute rule.

I'm saying that in this case the Japanese company does not want to release it at all if they cannot release it in Japan at the same time or first. The company being Namco Bandai. It's not a rule or anything, it just depends on the company!

Ugh, I was really hoping it wouldn't come to the point of games not being released because of the effects of the PSN outage.

But it seems like it still will be releasing on PSN...as soon as the JP Store is back. Right...?
I was hoping for Tuesday for US Store but as long as it's coming out and not canceled for PS3 I'll be happy.

Seriously though...what is going on with the JP Store? It's STILL down. I think they're going to need 3 to 4 Welcome Back packages at this rate (luckily for SCEJ though, the Asian market isn't as demanding and whiny as the Western ones, but even they are probably starting to say, "alright, WTF"). Do we have any updates at all?

C-Jo

I got A ranks in levels 1-6 in hard mode and I was feeling pretty good about myself. But 7-9 just turned into survival mode. Fucking fun game though, feels like just the right amount of challenge.

entremet

duckroll said:
It's still down in Japan?

I know why, but I didn't know it would take this long. WOW.

This is such a fun game. The original Galaga on XBLA was the first game I ever got 100% of the achievement in. I hope it does well so they continue to release more versions of it in the future. I know I'll be picking up Galaga Dimensions for the 3DS as well!

Gaspode_T

C-Jo said:
I got A ranks in levels 1-6 in hard mode and I was feeling pretty good about myself. But 7-9 just turned into survival mode. Fucking fun game though, feels like just the right amount of challenge.

I seem to be getting B rank, any tips for what seems to break through to A? Do you try to clear/shoot bombs as fast as possible or shoot lots of enemies? I am assuming speed is key but just wanted to check

tetrisgrammaton said:
Demo feels very... bleh.

It take a bit getting used to, unless you play the first one. (Legion, not the original) Once in click it's really a lot of fun.

Mod should just make this poor-man OT. :/

Last I check there's about 4k on the leaderboard.

eroots

I'm looking forward to playing when it hits the Psn. The Giant Bomb QL was really good. Any news on a Psn release date?

MizzouRah

Galaxian.png

Always been more of a Galaxian man, myself. I wish they'd make an updated version.

C-Jo

Gaspode_T said:
I seem to be getting B rank, any tips for what seems to break through to A? Do you try to clear/shoot bombs as fast as possible or shoot lots of enemies? I am assuming speed is key but just wanted to check
Definitely speed, yeah. Especially when it comes to the final phase of each level. The more of those 99 waves you can get through, the better off you'll be.

Gaspode_T said:

You want to clear as fast as you can so you have more time in the area (once timer runout the stage is over, it's kinda like Pac-man CE). Also you should watch the top rank player (go to leaderboard and you can view their replays).

I "S" rank first area, and finishing up the time trial mode. I will try to "S" rank the rest of the area, well may be the first few areas. Area 7 and 9 are really rough or I have yet to figure out the pattern.

Curufinwe

tetrisgrammaton said:
Demo feels very... bleh.

I loved the demo, convinced me to buy the game last night at 11pm instead of going to bed. And then I cleared Area 1 and Championship.

The Joystiq review is embarrassingly bad. It's like the reviewer isn't aware that there are shmups that don't make dodging lethal bullets the main focus of the game, shmups like, say, the original Galaga.

Gaspode_T

I dare game reveiwers to play a game like Flak Attack if they want to see what dodging bullets was like "back in the day"...forget bullets, it's hard enough to dodge whole planes in that game.

Or maybe Spider Fighter on Atari 2600 if you want to go back even further. This game is still a little bit more puzzle than true shmup though...

Curufinwe

The retro skins look really cool, but they make it harder for me to see what's going on so I can only play with the modern graphics skin on.

Edgeward

By next week, I hope sometime before Tuesday so they can announce it coming to the store tuesday. I need this game on my ps3 noooooowww.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Today I loaded up Pac-man CE DX on the PS3. The NG News page says 2011.08.03 is the release date for Galaga Legions DX on PS3. WOOHOO.

Tizoc

So where's the Galaga DX OT?
I'd make one but...I'm too lazy to write everything in the first post, plus I didn't follow much of the game's development.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I assume we just use this thread to compare scores and whatnot?

Currently ranked 19th out of 4102 overall on PS3. Shooting for the Top 10! :D

jvm

Gamasutra.
Seraphis Cain said:
So I assume we just use this thread to compare scores and whatnot?

Currently ranked 19th out of 4102 overall on PS3. Shooting for the Top 10! :D
Daaaaaaaaaang. I'd be happy to stay top 1000 long term, like I did with Pac-man CE DX. I'm just not as hardcore as many people. :)

Top Bottom