• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-order Dungeon Siege 3 on Steam, get DS1&2 free; DS3 to support Steamworks

Patryn

AgentOtaku said:
Fuck yeah!

...um, are DS1 and 2 even worth a damn at this point? I'm curious

I used to have a copy of DS2, and from what I can tell it's fun, but you get a ton of crap loot.

JoeBoy101

I've been intrigued by DS3 but was going to wait for reviews. But given this deal, I think I'll jump on the preorder.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
It's actually a pretty good deal since Dungeon Siege II goes for a pretty penny now

Also means DSI/II should be out on Steam too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
JoeBoy101 said:
I've been intrigued by DS3 but was going to wait for reviews. But given this deal, I think I'll jump on the preorder.

I'm thinking the same thing.

JaseC

Tryckser said:
Question is, DS3 on PS3 also supports Steamworks?

Nothing's been announced in that regard, but I wouldn't hold your breath. It's extremely unlikely.

Salsa

store page:

Purchase Dungeon Siege III before release and receive single player versions of Dungeon Siege and Dungeon Siege II to play now!

Wasnt there an MP component in those games ?

kodt

Banned
From the Steam page:

Purchase Dungeon Siege III before release and receive single player versions of Dungeon Siege and Dungeon Siege II to play now!

Why does it say single player versions? Did they strip the MP? DS I and II are not worth playing unless it is coop/mp.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The servers have probably been taken down since they were run by Microsoft and now the rights are owned by Squeenix.

JaseC

SalsaShark said:
store page:

Wasnt there an MP component in those games ?
kodt said:
From the Steam page:

Why does it say single player versions? Did they strip the MP? DS I and II are not worth playing unless it is coop/mp.

Yeah, there's MP in the previous Dungeon Siege games.

How strange. Why would they remove the MP component? :|

Sinatar said:
The servers have probably been taken down since they were run by Microsoft and now the rights are owned by Squeenix.

Ah. Was there no local MP at all? I haven't played either game in yonks.

JaseC said:
Ah. Was there no local MP at all? I haven't played either game in yonks.
I know that there is at least LAN support for DS1, even though the official servers were taken down a few years ago. Also there's the option to connect to others based on IP address over the internet, providing you organise somebody to host the game.

You don't gain experience while playing cooperatively as the visiting player in someones quest in Dungeon Siege 3, I read that on RPS a while back. That's quite possibly the dumbest design choice if it's still true.

Also it looks like they stripped the coop function from DS1 and 2, kinda puts a damper on that pre-order bonus.

Edit: You will essentially have two different characters, one for single player campaign and one for multiplayer. Still kind of a dumb design choice.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/27/dungeon-siege-iii-will-have-co-op-xp/

Last month, word got around that the co-op in Dungeon Siege III wouldn’t offer any XP rewards to players who were dropping into another person’s game. Co-op players were deemed to be guests in the host player’s worlds; and as a mere assistant to the main player would receive no reward at all for questing and killing enemies. It has now been revealed that is is not strictly true; XP will be awarded to characters, but the character in question be be used exclusively for co-operative games, and XP and loot cannot be transferred to a single-player campaign character.

JaseC

OgTheClever said:
I know that there is at least LAN support for DS1, even though the official servers were taken down a few years ago. Also there's the option to connect to others based on IP address over the internet, providing you organise somebody to host the game.

Seems strange that they'd yank out MP altogether, then.

Deadly

is DS3 a loot-whore type of game like Diablo? I'm pretty interested in this since it's Obsidian and it looks like a Diablo-esque game.

bjaelke

Deadly said:
is DS3 a loot-whore type of game like Diablo? I'm pretty interested in this since it's Obsidian and it looks like a Diablo-esque game.
Very much. But you'll pick up a lot of crap along the way as stated earlier in this thread.

Weenerz said:
This game needs TF2 hats or weapons, and it's day one for me.
god damnit can't i go one day without having to use this

Mfayh.gif

glaurung

A heads up for anyone thinking about the Steam trilogy offer:

The first Dungeon Siege game has known compatibility issues with Windows 7 (might be also with Windows Vista). This means the game is unplayable. I haven't been looking for a solution yet.

Dungeon Siege II plays nice.

OneMoreQuestion said:
Also, DS1 and 2 are SINGLE-PLAYER ONLY!
I must have been playing the wrong game when I played with my brother over LAN a few years ago.

EDIT: Unless you're talking about this re-release.

wit3tyg3r

glaurung said:
A heads up for anyone thinking about the Steam trilogy offer:

The first Dungeon Siege game has known compatibility issues with Windows 7 (might be also with Windows Vista). This means the game is unplayable. I haven't been looking for a solution yet.

Dungeon Siege II plays nice.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I think I may have found a solution to the DS1 issues. I found this under the system requirements for DS1:

Steam said:
Note on Windows 7: Driver version 270.51 or greater is required for Nvidia-based graphics cards. AMD graphics card owners may need to run in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode.

Note that driver 270.51 is still beta as of this post, so update at your own risk. I am trying this right now and will post results here after the attempt.

Update: OK, so I just tried this and IT WORKED! :D w00t!

So, all you NVIDIA GeForce guys need to download the 270.51 beta drivers from here, do a quick reboot, and then launch the game! OK, time to play some DS1. Cya!

I am getting the 360 version of DS3, so this kind of sucks (I've been looking for the first two DS's for a decent price for years now). Oh well.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
wit3tyg3r said:
If you get them through Steam, it's $50 for all three Dungeon Siege games. You get the first 2 free

But no multiplier, which makes them useless. Why would you play a Diablo-clone by yourself!?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
TheSeks said:
But no multiplier, which makes them useless. Why would you play a Diablo-clone by yourself!?
I had fun with both Games even without a mp back then, though I don't know how they are holding up nowadays. Still at least DS 2 was very entertaining.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This sounds great and all, but the multiplayer for DS3 sounds fundamentally broken. You can't play the character you want if a game you join is already using it. So it's basically Diablo, but you don't get to be the Barb you've been playing the whole time, because xXJonny420Xx already chose him before the game started.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Steamworks + Obsidian guaranteed this as an eventual purchase, but I don't know if I care to go back and play the first two. I got kinda bored with the demo of DS1 back in the day.

Top Bottom