• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Case Files: Dust to Dust screens

Kosma

Banned
There are 3 screens on the Big Fish website, one of them is the location of the game I guess

welcome.jpg

mcf-dust-to-dust-ss-01.jpg

mcf-dust-to-dust-ss-02.jpg

http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/mystery-case-files-dust-to-dust-for-wii-announced

I know this is not a hardcore franchise, more like something my mom and cousin play (and they do) but they are pretty cool in their own right :)

BluWacky

Green Scar said:
Photohunt games?

Really?

FWIW the Mystery Case Files games are the best hidden object games on the market; they have actual gameplay, and stories, and everything! I mean, the genre is totally over-saturated with rubbish now but people keep buying them, so...

This one's looking a little bit ropey, though; the screenshots aren't that flattering.

Princess Skittles said:
I say the same thing every time a shooter is released.

Different tastes..

I like to think people can distinguish between games from genres they don't like and games from POS waste of space genres that cost way too much and are obvious padding in Nintendo's catalogue, padding that could instead be, say, the million and one Wii games Nintendo refuses to localise.

But maybe that's just me.

Vamphuntr

I hope for them the game is 20$. The PC version of these games ar usually 10$ or 15-20$ with the solutions to the puzzles. I liked the PC games a lot but no way I'm paying 40$+ for this on Wii. You can usually beat them in 6-7 hours.

The where's waldo parts where you search for items suck but the puzzle are usually pretty good. The series also evolved a lot since the beginning. Druid Grove even had FMV and full voice acting.

Vamphuntr said:
I hope for them the game is 20$. The PC version of these games ar usually 10$ or 15-20$ with the solutions to the puzzles. I liked the PC games a lot but no way I'm paying 40$+ for this on Wii. You can usually beat them in 6-7 hours.

The where's waldo parts where you search for items suck but the puzzle are usually pretty good. The series also evolved a lot since the beginning. Druid Grove even had FMV and full voice acting.

Actually, the game was called Dire Grove. Was it that forgettable?

At any rate, I liked Dire Grove's use of FMV and voice acting because there wasn't much of it. When you see mostly quiet still screens, to suddenly see FMV for major plot points makes it effective. For example,
Seeing a character trapped in ice for the first time, click on it and it opens its eyes, chanting in monotone. Creepy, and lets you know things just took a turn for the weird.
That, and when you only get short bursts, it's easier to overlook flaws.

Its follow-up, 13th Skull, used FMV and voice acting all over the damn place. Stereotypes and fake southern accents everywhere. Is there some kind of rule that in any adventure game set in Louisiana, it's mandatory to have a middle-aged black woman who practices voodoo? (See also: the Colonel's Bequest) It was quite cheesy in its treatment. Maybe that's the effect they were going for, but it turned me off. I won't say all the voice actors are bad - the librarian in the bar was pretty good, as were the two housekeeping staff - but a lot of them were given shitty lines to deliver.

If they limit FMV and voice acting in this one, I'll be willing to give it a try.

I know this is not a hardcore franchise, more like something my mom and cousin play (and they do) but they are pretty cool in their own right :)

You're right...and good on you for having the guts to post it. Lots of hidden object games are shovelware, but these are the good ones.

Kosma

Banned
Someguy, have you played Drawn? I think Nintendo could have serviced core gamers (a bit) and casuals if that was brought over to be honest.

PS: Was there some avatar wipe on GAF btw? Had mine since like 2007.

Kosma said:
Someguy, have you played Drawn? I think Nintendo could have serviced core gamers (a bit) and casuals if that was brought over to be honest.

PS: Was there some avatar wipe on GAF btw? Had mine since like 2007.

No, I haven't. When it came out I took a look at the trailer and nothing about it grabbed me. Looked like a second-rate light-on-puzzles P&C adventure. If you're saying Drawn would have been a better choice than MCF I'd have to disagree. In addition to, maybe but even then I'm not so sure. Nintendo's already got MCF ports (MillionHeir, for example) and it's a known bankable franchise. Drawn would be a gamble, I'm guessing.

Also, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/announcement.php?f=2&a=44 for your avatar question.

Kosma said:
Ruroun, this was the latest one on PC, dunno if this one will have fmv too. Looks old school like 7th guest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r30sCtlzK0

I dont think GAF is the target audience though :)

That doesn't look good =(

The screens here look nice though. I was considering it but is it only photo-hunting?

The game apparently got renamed as well.

It's now called Mystery Case Files: The Malgrave Incident

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Big Fish Games? This is what they chose to bring to Wii? Couldn't they do a new Drawn or something... Or a collection with both The Painted Tower and Dark Flight... Those have lovely art and atmosphere and their gameplay can pass as normal p&c puzzles (though some are annoying), not just pixel hunting for random objects like that screenshot.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Big Fish is a fucking waste of space. Nintendo could have filled that slot with Regenleiv or Xenoblade. Nice job, assholes.

thetrin said:
Big Fish is a fucking waste of space. Nintendo could have filled that slot with Regenleiv or Xenoblade. Nice job, assholes.

LOL! Yes, I'd rather have both of those or The Last Story, or Disaster, or another code R! But I suppose they need to feed the casuals every now and then.

cj_iwakura

Mockingbird said:
LOL! Yes, I'd rather have both of those or The Last Story, or Disaster, or another code R! But I suppose they need to feed the casuals every now and then.

Now and then? They're ALL they've been feeding.

RurouniZel said:
Interesting. I'd love a gameplay trailer, Nintendo!

It's a Mystery Case Files game. It's hard to show a gameplay trailer without spoiling puzzles. (See above with the hidden-object picture that another poster subsequently solved.) Maybe brief bits of the mini-games?

Top Bottom