• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare Releasing New Star Wars Novel: Revan

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yep, the story of what happened to Revan is finally being revealed through a new novel by Drew Karpyshyn.

There's a long interview about it here: http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110422

Here are some highlights.

BioWare said:
Question: How does it feel to finally reveal that the title of your latest Star Wars book is Revan?

Drew Karpyshyn: I'd like to start by saying how gratifying it was to work on this book. Knights of the Old Republic™ (KOTOR) was my first creative foray into the Star Wars universe, so writing Revan felt a little bit like I was returning to my roots. I also know a lot of fans have been patiently waiting a long time to find out what happened to Revan after KOTOR -- it's probably the number one question I'm asked on my website. I'm glad the story is finally being told, and I'm ecstatic that I'm the one who gets to tell it.

Question: How much of this is material that had been developed earlier for KOTOR? Was Revan fleshed out at that point, or was he always a sort of a cipher to be filled in later?

Drew Karpyshyn: Anyone familiar with the KOTOR games knows that we walked a delicate line with Revan: the legend and reputation of this great Jedi-turned-Sith were well established, but players were also able to define many aspects of the character as they played.

Obviously this wouldn't have worked for a book with Revan as the main character, so I decided to focus on certain universally established elements from the KOTOR games while also reinforcing previously established canon from the greater Star Wars universe, such as Revan being male and choosing the light side/redemption ending of the game.

However, by coloring in these details I was also able to delve much deeper into the character than we did when Revan was the "blank slate" of the games. It was a difficult decision, but I feel the payoff was worth it. Fans want to know what happened to Revan after KOTOR, and now they'll finally get to see that story.

Question: What other characters from Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic II might we expect to see?

Drew Karpyshyn: You can't tell a story about Revan without also exploring his companions; they were such a key element of the KOTOR experience that it wouldn't feel right without bringing some of them back. Of course it would be impossible to include all of them in a novel in a way that would make a cohesive and fulfilling story, so I focused on those who felt most directly relevant to what happened to Revan after the KOTOR games. I don't want to give too much away, but Canderous, T3-M4, the Exile and Bastila Shan all have significant roles to play in the novel (along with some significant characters who appear in Star Wars: The Old Republic).

Question: How much time do the events of Revan span? And where does it sit in relation to the other Star Wars: The Old Republic novels?

Drew Karpyshyn: The story picks up right after the end of the first Knights of the Old Republic and continues through and beyond KOTOR II -- a span of roughly five years. There are allusions to the events of KOTOR II, but my focus was on the story taking place before, between and after the games -- I didn't want to rehash a story fans already knew.

Because we're set in the same time period as the KOTOR games, we're roughly 300 years earlier than the other The Old Republic novels... though the events of this book have a major impact on shaping The Old Republic universe.

Question: In what ways will readers who have read Revan benefit when playing Star Wars: The Old Republic?

Drew Karpyshyn: I think the novel will give them a much better understanding of the Sith Emperor and the Empire, for one thing. The Old Republic Sith Empire is very different from what people know from the movies, or even from the Great Hyperspace War comics that focus on characters like Naga Sadow and Ludo Kressh.

The novel will also give them some very direct background and detailed information that ties in directly with key Flashpoints in the game. I can't say too much, of course, but like any great prequel the books will give you the details of what came before to add an extra layer of depth to the experiences in the game.
Source: http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110422

So sad that we aren't going to be shown this in a game, especially after all the hints KoTOR II gave about Revan's future and where he had gone.

Such great games they were too, a shame there's not going to be a proper, direct sequel to finish the story.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mama Robotnik said:
So sad that we aren't going to be shown this in a game, especially after all the hints KoTOR II made.
I get the impression you will also see a fair amount of this in SWTOR flashpoints (story dungeons) based on some other things in the interview.

Edit:

I'll go add that question to the OP.

Nirolak said:
I get the impression you will also see a fair amount of this in SWTOR flashpoints (story dungeons) based on some other things in the interviews.

Oh, I was under the impression that the new Star Wars MMORPG was considerably further on in the timeline than KoTOR - maybe I was mistaken on this.

Still, I can find out on Wikipedia I suppose. I'm considerably averse to subscription-based games and will not be playing it.

I still don't understand that if KoTOR 1 and 2 were financially successful, why didn't we get a proper third game instead of trying to force a MMORPG that no one asked for down our throats?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mama Robotnik said:
Oh, I was under the impression that the new Star Wars MMORPG was considerably further on in the timeline than KoTOR - maybe I was mistaken on this.

Still, I can find out on Wikipedia I suppose. I'm considerably averse to subscription-based games and will not be playing it.

I still don't understand that if KoTOR 1 and 2 were financially successful, why didn't we get a proper third game?
The team that made KotOR is the same team that made Mass Effect.

BioWare wanted to switch to internally owned IPs so they didn't have to pay licensing fees, which make games significantly less profitable.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Mama Robotnik said:
I still don't understand that if KoTOR 1 and 2 were financially successful, why didn't we get a proper third game instead of trying to force a MMORPG that no one asked for down our throats?

Quite a lot of people asked for a new Star Wars MMO. A lot more people than even played KOTOR.

Effect

I haven't bought a Star War novels after being really turned off by the New Jedi Order series. Looks like I'm about to be pulled back in. Knights of the Old Republic was the last Star Wars Expanded Universe content that I fully enjoyed story wise. So I'm down for finding out what happen to Revan after KOTOR.

Van Buren

Nirolak said:
The team that made KotOR is the same team that made Mass Effect.

BioWare wanted to switch to internally owned IPs so they didn't have to pay licensing fees, which make games significantly less profitable.

I remember reading about that, but it's funny how Mass Effect hires all these celebrities to provide their likenesses in-game. Would be interesting to know how profitable the Mass Effect games are in comparison to KoTOR.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Seriously. I'm shocked we never got a current gen KOTOR III.

It was a worthy sacrifice in exchange for Mass Effect.

Anyways, do people really read these books?

Jenga

Banned
I'm not familiar with Drew, I'm assuming he was one of the lead writers on KOTOR right?

EDIT: yeah says it right in the article lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Given that they're doing everything they can to make people forget about KoTOR2, they can go screw themselves. :p

Then again, the Star Wars EU is a piece of shit now anyway - and I say that as a sad nerd who owned all the Bantam published books.

Definitely looking forward to getting this book. KotOR is still one of my favorite BioWare games (next to Mass Effect).

Revan and HK-47 were my favorite characters from the game.

sflufan

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Given that they're doing everything they can to make people forget about KoTOR2, they can go screw themselves. :p

Then again, the Star Wars EU is a piece of shit now anyway - and I say that as a sad nerd who owned all the Bantam published books.

The Bantam books were getting downright awful towards the end of their publishing run.

szaromir

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Shitty tie-in books are almost always best sellers because they take an hour to read and you can dispose of them fairly easily (either by literally tossing them or flipping them at a used bookstore, GameStop style).
Halo novels are quite decent actually.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
sflufan said:
The Bantam books were getting downright awful towards the end of their publishing run.
Hah, yeah. I figure once they moved on to the whole "NJO" was the perfect time for me to abandon reading science fiction tie-in books.

szaromir said:
Halo novels are quite decent actually.
I'm sure they're fine for what they are, but would you read them if they had nothing to do with Halo? I say for most tie-in novels, once you take away the license they end up having stories that are on par with crappy video game stories, if not worse.

Kagari said:
Canon Revan is male.
It's stupid that I know this, but Canon Exile is female. Except KoTOR2 never happened, so it doesn't matter anyway.

Luthos

This piqued my interest.

But it really makes me wish that we got a current-gen KotOR 3. I mean The Old Republic looks nice and all, but I, and I'd assume almost everybody else, would of preferred a KotOR 3.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Obsidian Entertainment. Mass Effect 2/Alpha Protocol engine. KoTOR3.

That's a recipe for success - especially since LucasArts bailed on the MMO.

firehawk12 said:
Obsidian Entertainment. Mass Effect 2/Alpha Protocol engine. KoTOR3.

That's a recipe for success - especially since LucasArts bailed on the MMO.

Maybe in a universe where good things happen this game would get made and would sell bajillions of copies, surpassing the record for first week sales previously held by Psychonauts.

Jintor

FreeFallin' said:
Maybe in a universe where good things happen this game would get made and would sell bajillions of copies, surpassing the record for first week sales previously held by Psychonauts.

I WANT THIS ALTERNATE HISTORY SO BAD

Sullen

Maybe they should have made this into a game. Then I'd actually spend some money and support bioware again, considering kotor was their last good game. Instead they shit out a new mass effect/dragon age game every few months.

Jarmel

Banned
Anticitizen One said:
Fall of Reach didn't stop Halo:Reach from being made

The difference was that FoR came way before Halo:Reach and some of the info in this novel will probably be touched upon in TOR. This seems very much like backstory for the TOR quest. Honestly I can't seem them making Revan the protagonist in a new KOTOR game after this as we know how it ends and the book is going to fill in the details.

Also Reach is a shooter while KOTOR is a RPG where the story is a priority.

szaromir

Banned
Jarmel said:
The difference was that FoR came way before Halo:Reach and some of the info in this novel will probably be touched upon in TOR. This seems very much like backstory for the TOR quest. Honestly I can't seem them making Revan the protagonist in a new KOTOR game after this as we know how it ends and the book is going to fill in the details.

Also Reach is a shooter while KOTOR is a RPG where the story is a priority.
KOTOR 3 wouldn't be a RPG, Bioware doesn't make them anymore.

Pollux

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Seriously. I'm shocked we never got a current gen KOTOR III.

Makes me fucking pissed.
I'm going to play TOR but i'm hoping that it bombs so we can get KOTOR III.

Please god give us a KOTOR III.

Please.

Monocle

firehawk12 said:
I'm sure they're fine for what they are, but would you read them if they had nothing to do with Halo? I say for most tie-in novels, once you take away the license they end up having stories that are on par with crappy video game stories, if not worse.
I'm not sure you have a point there. The purpose of a tie-in novel is to broaden an extant fictional universe or to elaborate on key events within it. This has two implications worth noticing. First, that a tie-in novel is basically auxiliary in nature. It doesn't have to bear the full narrative responsibilities of an original novel, since a lot of information about the world in which its story occurs will have been filled in by the core parts of the series (in Halo's case, the games). This leads to the second implication, that readers of a tie-in novel, most of whom are probably interested in it precisely because of its relation to a series they enjoy, will likely approach it with a different set of expectations than they'd have for a book with an unfamiliar setting. Expectations related to characters, locations, and occurrences they already know. A tie-in novel that answers interesting questions or puts a new twist on old events can be satisfying even without a strong plot.

For the record, The Fall of Reach, Contact Harvest, and in particular, Cryptum, are perfectly respectable SF books in and of themselves (though to judge their quality in hypothetical absence of their licenses is to wander into shaky speculative territory.)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Are tie-in novels just an excuse to info-dump and meander into universe building, or do they aim to be as good as an "original" Arthur C Clarke or Ray Bradbury novel? I dunno.

I suppose that I can accept that tie-in novels should be treated differently, but at that point, I don't know what makes a "good" tie-in novel.

Top Bottom