• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKWORKS presents The Deep

Shiggy

French developer Darkworks presents The Deep

There are only few game developers with which publishers are as dissatisfied as with Darkworks, which nonetheless exist for more than 10 years (only Silicon Knights comes to my mind as another example).

A troubled history

Darkworks' first release was Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare in 2001. However, in the late 90s, they started work on various prototypes including 1906: An Antarctic Odyssey and Alive (resurfaces years later as I Am Alive). 1906 evolved into USS Antarctica/Lost Mantis which was meant to be published by Capcom. In 2002 the deal fell through. Darkworks started a new project, now in conjunction with Namco US: Time Crisis Adventure for XBOX. You might imagine what happened.

uss_01.jpg

Then, as a surprise to everyone, Darkworks works together with Ubisoft and releases a game: Cold Fear. But that's enough to celebrate because after that Darkworks goes back to their Alive concepts and pitches them to Ubisoft, who were pretty happy with Darkworks after Cold Fear.
The relationship changes drastically during the development of Alive (later I Am Alive). In early 2009, Ubisoft announces to retailers that the game will ship in March of the same year, even though nothing was published except for a E3 trailer and a few magazine hands-on articles. Only weeks later, the game is delayed until June because Ubisoft wants some major changes. Finally, in March, development is moved to Ubisoft Shanghai.

5664152527_d5847dc013_z.jpg

One cannot blame Darkworks for this, they built the game they wanted and it's Ubisoft's fault when they do not tell them what they want. We all know the story of I Am Alive (completely rebuilt), but what did happen to Darkworks?

Darkworks, the developer of game technology?
Darkworks had become a developer of game technology. Together with TriOviz they made a kit that "enables smooth stereoscopic 3D conversion of video games or multimedia products". In addition, they recently announced Kusanagi. But what about games?

Since the I Am Alive debacle Darkworks worked on various prototypes, most neither found a publisher nor were they revealed publicly. Though many of them are quite intriguing and would be worth to be posted, I should concentrate on "The Deep" today.

What is "The Deep"?
The Deep is a Darkworks prototype directly started after I Am Alive was "taken away" and it was continued throughout 2009. When no publisher came to sign on, Darkworks used it for public presentation purposes of their 3D TriOviz technology as seen here. Below I attached concept art, screenshots and a video scene from the game prototype. Someone with acces to GamesPress may add these.

5664788790_6ccf7ec18e_b.jpg

5664222007_8e3dbe94a7_b.jpg

5664222377_c581c0a976_b.jpg

5664772510_44e689cce8.jpg
5664771220_c65cf9ce53.jpg
5664772188_3da22cd699.jpg
5664205195_7b2186130d.jpg

And a video:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xigf55_the-deep_videogames

Just posted this in case anyone wondered what's going on at Darkworks. Images, artworks and video are copyrights of Darkworks and officially released.

http://www.unseen64.net/2011/05/03/the-deep-xbox-360-ps3-prototype/

Salz01

The concept art looks awesome. I want a game that looks like that! The video looks okay. Its just a short concept video.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Htown said:
Cold Fear?

Is that they one 1up used to call Resident Evil: Boat?

Indeed it was. Wasn't bad. Kind of poorly balanced is all.

Shiggy

Rygar 8 Bit said:
ubisoft is working on i am alive the last screen shots that went out did not bode well

Those were shots from the 2009 built done by Darkworks. Since then, Darkworks has produced another prototype which is in a major city which looks much better.

A.KU.MU said:
I love this game. So underrated.

gXQGA.gif

Agreed... It is gameplay mechanics and some part of the design was really good for the time it came out. If it was more polished, it could have been a much better game. I really liked the gameplay when it came out.

SalsaShark said:
Is it just me or does Ubisoft just plain sucks lately ?

Im still hurt over Bloody Good Time..
If by lately you mean this entire generation, then yes. They should sell their good IPs to EA and go make lazer tag and imagine games or something so I could stop caring about them completely.
madara said:
Dang how many years do we have to wait for games to look like the best part, the concept art!
I wanted to say that I've always liked your avatar a lot. Also, making games look like the concept art is not always a matter of horse power but also of developer ingenuity, so even if some very elite development houses could achieve it right now, not every developer is going to succeed even when the hardware reaches that stage.

But yeah, I look forward to the day developers no longer have to work around the hardware to achieve stuff but are instead empowered by it.

ArjanN

madara said:
Dang how many years do we have to wait for games to look like the best part, the concept art!

In Cryisis 1, the part in the alien ship looks exactly, exactly like concept art.

SalsaShark said:
Is it just me or does Ubisoft just plain sucks lately? Im still hurt over Bloody Good Time..
except for rushing a couple of games on pc I think they're doing quite ok (mainly il-2 cliffs of dover and silent hunter 5). cliffs of dover is steam only of course, but I'm pretty sure 1C is to blame for that. and I don't know, it seems like maddox was never going to finish the game anyway. now that it's actually released it's really put a fire under their ass to stop fucking around :-DD

but nadeo (trackmania, virtual skipper) looks like they're doing whatever they want. same with related designs and blue byte (anno series, settlers 7). so that's all fantastic. really interested to see if Reflections can finally redeem themselves with the new Driver game. somehow I doubt it. the new Heroes of Might and Magic looks like it's going to be good. hm, what else

I was never a fan of The Ship, so no idea what the Bloody Good Time thing is about?

CamHostage

Salz01 said:
The concept art looks awesome. I want a game that looks like that! The video looks okay. Its just a short concept video.

Darkworks' best quality IMO is its concept art, I didn't like Cold Fear (and I really wanted to, the tech looked amazing but the control and level design bothered me right away and I didn't get far) but their 1906 art compelled me for years to root for this company before I realized I hadn't ever gotten into one of their games. If they manage to ship a game that lives up to what's in my head of what I keep thinking they're capable of from the art, it'll be bad-assed.

Their cancelled demon Blade Runner looked pretty cool as well.

http://www.unseen64.net/2009/11/24/lost-project-xbox-ps2-concept/

Shiggy

Thanks again, V_Ben!

Darkworks has indeed some of the best artists.
Do you remember Orpheon? That was presented on their website around the time Cold Fear (initially called Time Crisis Adventure, I believe) was produced. Here's a small image from Darkworks' website:

fr_big_picture.jpg

Top Bottom