• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lesser known PS1 games you loved back in the day

kevm3 said:
4192HGB3G4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I owned a PS1 and a multi-tap back in the day. I remember many band practices at my house where we would end up getting distracted and just playing this game instead. So much fun.

They should re-release the MGS: VR Missions on PSN. I've never played it before, but I do enjoy the VR missions. Plus, I want to play as the cyborg ninja.

Slime

Banned
I only ever played a handful of the games in this thread, but it astounds me how many of these covers are embedded in my mind, probably from ads in old issues of OPM and EGM. Surreal.

Speaking of ads, there were plenty for this game, but I never hear anyone talk about it. Not the greatest game in the world, but I thought it was a charming little RPG
for babies
:

15fng9l.jpg

I also found out about this game from an ad, specifically the one about it being "the reason you started playing RPGs in the first place." And it totally captured that sentiment. Now, it's not very obscure anymore because the later entries have been pretty popular, but I doubt many people played it (or else the series would be more successful). It definitely felt pretty obscure at the time though, and is very underrated:

n55u82.jpg

Also have to echo some titles mentioned earlier in the thread, specifically Omega Boost, Koudelka and Azure Dreams. Good stuff.

So much nostalgia evoked from certain games posted.

2pr91sw.jpg

Already mentioned, but whatever. I put countless hours into this. I was so good at it.

2arrc8.jpg

I'm so desperate for a new NanaOn-Sha game. :( This was another game that I played endlessly. I honestly preferred it over PaRappa the Rapper.

Definitely Jumping Flash (new sequel plz) and Heart of Darkness, as well, as mentioned earlier...

I can't really think of anything obscure. There was one creepy samurai game that I remember... You fought zombie-esque soldiers, and I remember one boss being a monk or something with a paper bag on his head. Speaking of scary games, I want a new Dino Crisis. :(

e7ce1e.jpg

I also remember this wonderful puzzle game, Kula World... That game would be incredible on the 3DS.

OMGOMGOMG, I just remembered Kingsley's Adventure. I loved the characters and setting. I remember it being quite tricky in parts, though.

NotebookJ2 said:
Yeah, I have absolutely no idea what was up with that, lol. I didn't even realize that was on there when I was younger.

Also, adding in some more.

YMfq5.jpg

QgSNy.jpg

Pretty much they were car combat games like Twisted Metal, only they took place in the 1970s. I enjoyed them a lot more. Mind you, my first TM game was 3 which was apparently horrible. I also liked the character designs as well as the car themselves, though it would what you were expect from a game that takes place in the 1970s and a tad bit stereotypical, but it's kinda tongue in cheek in the first place, though the second game got a little weird what with time travel and
monkey
astronauts.
V8 >>>>> Twisted Metal. Although I haven't played a V8 game since the Dreamcast days.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Ballistik said:
I dont even know if this is the real cover, but its what I found when I googled it.
wUOBF.jpg
Real cover:

3r6tt7y

Note the ESRB rating on your fake cover. The game was never released in the U.S. And, you know, that title is pretty poorly 'shopped on there.

Funshine said:
games were so good and this song just tied it all together
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seER8GiDJPA

Oh man, I'm kinda torn. On one hand, I really do like the higher quality tracks in the PS1 versions, but on the other hand, the N64 music really captures the cheesy 1970s atmosphere much better.

Slime said:
I also found out about this game from an ad, specifically the one that about it being "the reason you started playing RPGs in the first place." And it totally captured that sentiment. Now, it's not very obscure anymore because the later entries have been pretty popular, but I doubt many people played it (or else the series would be more successful). It definitely felt pretty obscure at the time though, and is very underrated:

something something awesome PS2 remake something something i hate namco for never bringing it over etc.

Ballistik

Whimsical Phil said:
Real cover:
Note the ESRB rating on your fake cover. The game was never released in the U.S. And, you know, that title is pretty poorly 'shopped on there.

Oh cool. Yeah I knew something was fishy... that's why I said that I wasn't too sure if it was the cover.

Sofo

Whimsical Phil said:
I really enjoyed Konami's awkwardly-numbered fishing trilogy:

5ucsxha
6enu9mu
68ndq6k
Haha, that's really awkward, you're right!

Relating other covers, I can't believe how awful most of them look. At least from the ones posted here. Then again, these were not really polished games, right?

Benedict

572468_11244_front.jpg

Johnny Bazookatone
Early 2D platformer with "Donkey Kong Country" graphics. I enjoyed it.
398178-johnny-bazookatone-playstation-screenshot-introductions.png

Rapid_Reload.jpg

Rapid Reload
Another 2D-game. There were quite a few in the first year, before it all went 3D. But too difficult for me. Think I only made it to the Mine-cart level or the next one.
204386-rapid-reload-playstation-screenshot-a-jungle-stage-in-a-side.png

ActuaGolf2.jpg

Actua Golf 2 was one of my most played sports game on Playstation. The era before Tiger Woods took over.
56274_full.jpg

1129844129-00.jpg

Fade To Black
The Sequel to Flashback, this time in 3D, and not the easiest game to control. But i finished it and had a good time.
218154-fade-to-black-playstation-screenshot-step-on-the-field-to.jpg

573645_11994_front.jpg

Thunderhawk 2 by Core design. Played the first game on Atari ST so this was an instant buy for me. Not disappointed.
436152-thunderstrike-2-playstation-screenshot-another-helicopter.png

256px-Formula1_97_front.jpg

Formula 1 97
Best F1 game on PSX.

762206-micro_machines_v3_large.jpg

Micro Machines V3. Always thought this was better than Micro Maniac.

Street_Racer_Coverart.png

Street Racer. Super Mario Kart on Playstation. Didn't maybe have the greatest reviews, but it was a good game.

1143497809-00.jpg

True Pinball. Good pinball game from Digital Illusions (DICE), makers of Pinball Fantasies and some other games like Battlefield-series, Mirrors Edge etc.

431456-true-pinball-playstation-screenshot-babewatch-3d-mode-bottoms.png

803297ad7ffe865be3f8a157f14b20a7-DefCon_5.jpg

Defcon 5. I was amazed by the opening FMV. A FPS-"strategy game"
You have to defend a space station with turrets and find key cards. The game itself was short but entertaining.
1000690.jpg

Other worth mentioning:
Disruptor
ESPN Extreme Games
Final Doom
International Track & Field
Krazy Ivan
Kurushi Final
Syndicate Wars
Tempest 2000
Rage Racer (Best RR-game in the series)
V-Rally 2 (preferred this over Colin Mcrae)
X-COM: Terror from the Deep (save file took one whole memory card)
Tombi
Tombi 2
Supersonic Racers

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'll also go with Koudelka. I liked it a lot for what it was. Plus it was a spiritual prequel to Shadow Hearts, one of my favourite games of all time.

Blackheim said:
I barely remember anything about this game since I last played in it something like 1999. I do remember it having a neat battle system and liking the game a lot though:

ED1Y2.jpg
Loved this game. I played through it a lot of times. Killed a few of the optional bosses in multiple playthroughs too. I distinctly remember getting this game after saving up a little bit more during the summer because my summer game was originally supposed to be Beyond the Beyond. Plus it was the last game I played before our local pizza place (which was not part of a chain) closed down (and they made some damn fine pizza).

The music was good too:
Attack
Melody of Memories
My Name is Songi
Noel
Unrivaled Chaos
Koru Battle
Another Misty Nest

And who could forget...
Wanna Wanna?

Fuck, I love this game. I think I might play through it during my Reading Week.

Also, Arc the Lad I and Arc the Lad II don't get enough credit, I feel (though Arc III was pretty awesome too!). I still get the feeling that I like the Arc Collection because I saved up my money for the whole school year just to buy that collection (even though I didn't have a good idea about what the games were about). Guess it had a lot to do with the lovely Working Designs packaging (though I never owned any other WD game, unfortunately).

Arc_the_Lad_cover.jpg
Arc_the_Lad_2_cover.jpg
Arc_the_Lad_3_cover.jpg

They were my first proper and most memorable foray into the strategy genre, and I think all of them did a wonderful job at introducing me to it. Sure, there were some difficulty spikes in Arc II, but the narrative was awesome, the guild quest structure in Arc II was well-designed (as was Arc III's--a nice improvement from Arc II's), the characters were well-written, I liked the localization very much. Arc I+II and Arc III were so huge, and I just couldn't stop playing because I wanted to see what happened next (for example, the ending of Arc I blew me away
A big-screen TV in the middle of the kingdom?! What the hell?
). Too bad there was that inventory limit in Arc II, though. :(

It's awesome that WD brought all three PS1 Arc games over. I loved 'em a lot. And I'm so glad that I now have digital copies of all three to play on my PSP!!

The music ain't bad, either!
Father, Yoshua
Battle 1 (Arc I ver)
Battle 2 (Arc I ver)
Seiyra
Battle 9
Battle 2 (Arc II ver)
Elc (Arc II ver)
Last Battle
Battle 7 (Arc III ver)

Chacranajxy said:
083717170402F.JPG

It's really not a good game, but it was pretty cool at the time just because it was basically Resident Evil with samurai. There was some good music, too. Probably not worth playing or even thinking too hard about today, though.

So what you're saying is, it was Onimusha before Onimusha was Onimusha?

Dizzy-4U

lolmark said:
585e7a4c0e44460b7ef5577c2f1a2e9f-Trap_Gunner.jpg

I really liked this game

edit: lets try that again
Hell of a game, looooved it!

I secretly love every RACDYM game. Specially their music. They are all so catchy! Snowboards Kids, Critical Blow, Trap Gunner, etc...

Chris R

Blackheim said:
I barely remember anything about this game since I last played in it something like 1999. I do remember it having a neat battle system and liking the game a lot though:

ED1Y2.jpg
Game did have a kick ass combat system. I'd love to see something similar done now, I think it would do pretty well.

edit: nobody mentioned this game yet???
Ldiv9.png

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Benedict said:
ActuaGolf2.jpg

Actua Golf 2 was one of my most played sports game on Playstation. The era before Tiger Woods took over.

I still have Actua Golf 3, which is the one I played. Fantastic game, the first of its kind I think that used right analogue stick to swing the club. The career mode was brilliant, in that you made a character, played tournaments and as you got getter, you got promoted from Amateur to Proffesional and when that happened, the control scheme changed from simple to complex.

One of my favourite golf games ever, along with PGA European Tour on the Amiga 1200.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
cr_blah_blah said:
I found a copy for $50 at a random game place near me. Worth it for that much?

Definitely! If you're referring to the boxed set, as stated on the cover you're basically getting 4 games (Arc the Lad 1-3 and Twilight of Spirit). The leveling and skill system is not as elaborate as Final Fantasy Tactics but the characters are cool and each one has their own abilities. Also I found the stories compelling.

N4Us

upfOH.jpg

Spent way too much time with this game. Had such a great storymode and was goddamned leagues above the GB game. Sadly my copy got damaged pretty badly a while back, and I would buy a PS3 and risk my card info if it ever got put on PSN.

IndieJones said:
The suspicious thing about this, and maybe I'm missing something, is that the Nintendo official magazine is saying that this Playstation-exclusive game is the Mario killer.

That sure is some liberal quoting by the good folks at GT Interactive...

Sorta answered, but the game was in development for both the N64 and PSX, and the N64 version was cancelled at the very last minute.

Even funnier was that there was an ad for this game in Nintendo Power, and it was advertised as the PSX game as well. I'm sure Nintendo wasn't happy about that at all.

First one that springs to mind is Poy Poy. I had/played a load of lesser known games back in the PS1 days though. Might have a search through my collection later and see what else I can remember.

Aspiring

Courier%20Crisis%20%5BU%5D%20%5BSLUS-00442%5D-front.jpg

This was the bomb. my brother and I would play this everyday for hours on end. So addictive and fun!

525-1.jpg

While probably not lesser known, it was one of the greatest PS1 games. Loved it to death!

Dunan

Slime, high-five! I'll always have a soft spot for Tales of Destiny; I picked it up while studying in Japan as an exchange student in 1998. It was the first anime/manga-ish game I'd ever played, and every time I fired it up after taking it back to the US, I felt like I was back in Japan again. The whole thing just exuded Japanese-y charm.

Kikujiro (Beat Takeshi fan?), now you beat me to the post I wanted to make! Almost nobody knows about Soukaigi and it's an underrated gem.

Now why did you have to go and pick the most annoying, least awesome music track of them all? ^_^; Soukaigi is full of gems -- I shelled out for the official soundtrack, and even had the chance to chat online with Hiroki Kikuta about it. (Wouldn't have known that that Noto stage music was in Malay otherwise.) The Takachiho stage music (Fire Wire) is probably my favorite, not least because I was happy to finally be out of that first stage, with a more powerful character (Daiki) on my team, and had basically gotten the hang of the gameplay.

My favorite thing about Soukaigi was how all the writing was vertical, and particularly how they used (as you normally do when writing vertically) Japanese numerals all the way through. There's no reason why video games shouldn't be like this all the time; it was an accident of history that Westerners got the upper hand in text direction. Since it's also normal to write Japanese from left to right, they understandably went along with it.

But Japanese numerals just look too awesome:

ss01.jpg

(That's 60 Garan-seki left to destroy, 09 talismans in hand, and 02 green stones; I forget their function...)

ss05.jpg

Hifumi Sudo is this game's equivalent of FFT's Orlandeau. I loved using her. (11 Garan-seki, 11 talismans, and 02 green stones.)

ss06.jpg

Little Azusa Kotohira has 96 of those green stones as she fights through the desert labyrinth in (I think) Tottori.

The wholesale destruction that takes place in this game -- something like 12% of Japan's lad area is simply obliterated in what looks like giant circular hole-punch shapes -- isn't something to enjoy, particularly in these post-earthquake days, but the gameplay was so much fun. The scene that takes place in Sendai is like a grim harbinger of what comes in 2011; at one point in that stage you can actually see a building on which the telephone number 022-261-1111 is visible. I remember Googling for it to find that it belonged to City Hall -- now swamped with real destruction that exceeds what was in this game!

The virtual tour of the country really added to the game. You visit Noto, Takachiho in Kyushu, an island off Kyushu or Shikoku (I forget which), Shimane, Sendai, Nara, Ibaraki, and a couple of other places.

The controls are awful by today's standards -- I actually converted my ancient disks for the PSP and couldn't play it without L2 and R2 buttons at the ready -- and the polygon graphics haven't aged well. But the music will live forever. Kikuta is a genius.

If anyone wants to start a LTTP Soukaigi playthrough, I'll give you all the help you need. This game deserves to be played.

Stubo

StarEye said:
:O I came in here expecting no-one to have heard of this, I love you GAF!

Also huge YES's to F1 '97, Porsche Challenge, Pandemonium, Point Blank, Hogs of War, Gex 3D and others.

I think it was this demo disc that made me buy Motorhead. The music at 33 seconds was ingrained in my head while looking for videos of the game!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
cr_blah_blah said:
I found a copy for $50 at a random game place near me. Worth it for that much?
Does it come with the case, the hardbound instruction manual, and everything in the omake box intact? If so, then probably.

If not, you can get the games you want from the collection for cheaper on PSN.

jTp1t.jpg

Rapid Reload.

Saw this on a CBBC show around the time of the PSone launch and knew that day I had to get a PlayStation. The 3D games on the machine looked ugly to me, but stuff like this really made me salivate for the new machine. It was a while before I got to go hands-on, but it's so awesome.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Too many to mention. I loved the PSX (yes, PSX, its real name bitch) and used to try all sorts of awesome games from my nearby rental place. That and the free demos every month were awesome - including some great Net Yaroze games.

Turnstyle said:
This one is probably just rare in retrospect, I don't remember it being especially obscure at the time. Nobody ever talks about it these days though.

51DK8UBDUgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Whatever happened to Gex? I put a lot of time into this game as a teenager!

I completed Gex: Enter the Gecko "127%" - basically complete the game with everything and you get a bonus ending with concept art and stuff. I loved that game. At the time I liked it more than Mario 64 (which I don't love that much) and Banjo-Kazooie (my favourite all-time platform game.)

Pylon_Trooper said:
Chase the Express was a great little action title. Really enjoyed that.

The More You Know: It's called Covert Ops: Nuclear Dawn in the USA.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
confused said:

NotebookJ2 said:
Speaking of movie-based games

h0QXx.jpg

While it didn't do anything groundbreaking [well, I did love the detail of seeing Buzz's reflection when you went into first-person view], but it was competently designed and I liked the music. Also, the stage select screen looked really cool because it looked like a sketch. It was kinda like celshading... except not really. Let's end this post on a sad note though.

onQ123 said:
hercules.jpg

I loved this game lol

Boss! These were awesome for their times

I also liked the Bugs bunny games (lost in time & Timebusters)

edC6s.jpg

Got a copy of this at comic-con many years ago…loved the game's original soundtrack! Probably because using my own music CDs with that game was a bitch due to the fact that my modded PS1's "disc tray is open/closed" button was permanently stuck down…was impossible to swap out discs with some of my games. If I wanted to use my own music CDs when I played Vib Ribbon, I usually had to wait until level two before it would start playing from the CD I swapped in.

Cesar

Banned
Nightmare Creatures, awesome game:

Nightmare%20Creatures.jpg

Fighting Force, if you took the disc out while playing, the game went into slow motion untill the end of the level!

2086.2.jpg

Slappers Only

I want to take this chance to say that Hammerhead did a HELL of a job porting Quake 2 to the Playstation. It's nothing that would appeal to any non Quake fan, but man, that sucker performed like a 32-bit dream.

Jigsaw

Banned
Hard-edge-PSX.jpg

(t.r.a.g. in america)
resident evil clone with terrorists

gungagepalcdcoversccfro.jpg

japan & pal-land only,3rd person shooter by konami

SilentBomber.jpg

one of the best puzzle/action mixes on ps1/ever

Top Bottom