• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith shows Gotham City Imposters (XBLA/PSN/PC, 4v4 FPS) [Up: First Screenshot]

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Dacon said:
That's....not really relevant bro.

This game is about a bunch of wannabes shooting at other wannabes.

Batman Inc is a worldwide organization of vilgilanties officially sanctioned by Bruce himself.
also they still don't have guns

Furret

Banned
S1kkZ said:
awesome! looks like nolf meets arkham asylum.
we have enough gritty shooters, really happy that they try something different here.

What's nolf? Was your life really too busy to type out the full name?

Also, this game makes no sense.

Batman would hate the "Bats" as much as the Jokerz. You've got the whole DC Universe at your fingertips and this is all they could come up with?

1-D_FTW

SykoTech said:
The assumption that what we know so far qualifies as a "creative approach" is the only response blowing my mind here.

Give me a break. This thread is kind of embarrassing. People shooting hyperbole rockets into the sky without knowing a single thing.

As for the creative bit, look at the Element quote that I bolded. This game has a chance at having unique gameplay and being really cool. I love the fact the Monolith is letting a small group of guys really experiment with something they're passionate about. If it's revealed and looks like trash, then people can freely mock away.

Furret said:

Also, this game makes no sense.

Batman would hate the "Bats" as much as the Jokerz. You've got the whole DC Universe at your fingertips and this is all they could come up with?

NOLF is No One Lives Forever. Only Monolith's greatest game (plus the sequel) by a wide margin. They're not only Monolith's greatest games, they're two of the greatest FPS games ever made.

It's pretty clear you're not alone, though. It seems a lot of people in this thread have never heard of or played NOLF. If they did, they would see how the premise could be super campy with outrageous over the top gameplay and be excited by just what they're doing with this game.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Furret said:
The full name was mentioned 6 posts above his, as well as probably two dozen times throughout the topic.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Joker gal is wearing freaking bunny slippers.
How the fuck does that work in a fight?
Probably better than wearing a full-body molded rubber suit and a cape.

Goldrusher

sKNK0.jpg

TheOddOne

This gonna sound so highschool, but damn those chicks are hot. I seriously need a girl.

Edit: there is a dude with a kilt. FUCKING BOUGHT.

this idea is stupid. But I'm definitely keeping it on radar just because old Monolith team is working on it.

Oh and also grappling hooks in a competitive fps sounds intriguing.

This actually sounds like a recent batman arc (called Imposters) where a collection of rogue cops donned bat gear and guns, etc versus people who were taking the joker toxin and were going crazy. So things kept escalating until a full blown war across the city. Not the best of arcs.

Not interested a game that is like that

1-D_FTW

Goldrusher said:

Where are you guys getting info/shots from? And OMG. Is that screwball on the left the Scottish dude from NOLF? I can't wait to see what they're doing. In my mind I'm picturing an over the top NOLF type game that was given the Batman license so that superficial people would give it a chance (I realize NOLF is dead, but they could have went generic).

1-D_FTW

faridmon said:
How the mighty have fallen. I want another IP altogether or, better yet, bring back NOLF!

But it is NOLF. The characters are just dressed in tacky Batman outfits to fool the masses into buying it. That's the joke.

Discotheque said:
Oh and also grappling hooks in a competitive fps sounds intriguing.

Grappling hooks in anything is intriguing. Metroid Prime 2's multiplayer was shit, but swinging around in place with the grapple beam was brilliant. Of course, I'd want a Just Cause 2 beam copy, but I'll make do.

If the Bats side is trying to be proper Batman impostors, they need the works. Smoke bombs, gliding capes, some sort of sonar, everything. Jokerz (ugggghh) need lots of silly but dangerous weapons. Chattering teeth please, they could work like those fucking Microgoombas on SMB3, slowing down Bats.

I'm even more lost now. I like the character designs (plus both genders is always cool to see in a multiplayer setting) but I still don't understand why you need the Batman stuff on this.

wwm0nkey

Net_Wrecker said:
I'm even more lost now. I like the character designs (plus both genders is always cool to see in a multiplayer setting) but I still don't understand why you need the Batman stuff on this.
So it will sell?

wwm0nkey said:
So it will sell?

I mean...yeah....but...no.

If it turns out to be a great game, more power to them, and I hope the license pushes that many more sales, but I'll still never comprehend how this idea came to be.

wwm0nkey

Net_Wrecker said:
I mean...yeah....but...no.

If it turns out to be a great game, more power to them, and I hope the license pushes that many more sales, but I'll still never comprehend how this idea came to be.
Like I said....so it sells :lol

yeah I know it sucks but hey it still looks like it can be a great game just with a batman theme thrown on.

faridmon

1-D_FTW said:
But it is NOLF. The characters are just dressed in tacky Batman outfits to fool the masses into buying it. That's the joke.
Well they succeeded in making this a laughing matter... :/

This is the most perplexing game I've heard of in a long time. A 4v4 fps set in the Batman universe without batman and a humorous artstyle? I don't even know what to think. Brave concept though.

i really don't know what to think at this point.

Monolith are litereally one of the most consistent devs of FPS games. the quality of their output is high, and they actually ship product fairly regularly. i can't imagine that this will be terrible, but i really don't understand it at all yet.

i want it to be good.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
plagiarize said:
i really don't know what to think at this point.

Monolith are litereally one of the most consistent devs of FPS games. the quality of their output is high, and they actually ship product fairly regularly. i can't imagine that this will be terrible, but i really don't understand it at all yet.

i want it to be good.
They really, really aren't. Blood 2 was trite, and so was Contract Jack. FEAR 2 was kind of a let down from what I've read, and the same is also true for Condemned 2 (although I liked it, mind you).

If any, Monolith is pretty consistent at ruining stupendous games with poor sequels. Of course, this is a new game, so yay?

I would totally bone the joker chick.....

Funky Papa said:
They really, really aren't. Blood 2 was trite, and so was Contract Jack. FEAR 2 was kind of a let down from what I've read, and the same is also true for Condemned 2 (although I liked it, mind you).

If any, Monolith is pretty consistent at ruining stupendous games with poor sequels. Of course, this is a new game, so yay?

So, by that logic, they make a good FIRST game, and then just fuck up the sequel. So this should be great! It's not looking good for Gotham City Imposters 2, though.

Funky Papa said:

i made up a word. litereally. i could pretend it doesn't mean the same as literally, but i don't back track :).

Contract Jack was a shitty add on pack, no arguments there, but i overlook it as a quick and dirty attempt to make more money from the brilliant NOLF 2. FEAR 2 was good, not quite as good as the original overall, but close. It was a damn site better than the add ons that other companies made for the original FEAR, and the DLC Monolith made for 2 was even better than the stuff in the campaign (though DLC sized in nature and only a couple of hours long).

Blood 2 was forced out the door unfinished, and was not shipped in a state that Monolith were happy with. that made them fall out with the publisher, and since they'd only been paid a lump sum to make the game, and since the publisher had decided it was 'finished' Monolith decided not to patch it (since they wouldn't be getting paid to do it, and weren't receiving any royalties from sales).

i'm sure if it had been finished it'd be in line with their other games.

also, i have to say i rather enjoyed Condemned 2. again, i look at it like FEAR 2. made a number of improvements, but faltered in other ways to end up not being as good as the original, but still a good game. both i'd peg at about 8/10 compared to the original two being 9/10 ish.

i think that was the consensus on reviews too.

Lith made Shogo, NOLF, NOLF2, Tron 2.0, AvP2, Condemned, FEAR, Condemned 2, and FEAR 2 and i'd rate all of those at 8/10 or higher. that's a pretty good haul.

they aren't always GREAT but they're pretty much always good, Contract Jack and Blood 2 aside.

.la1n

Honestly this looks and sounds completely useless, good thing we still have rocksteady to make a decent batman game. Glad monolith passed on having another go at fear because it's obvious their talents are best used for Batman /sarcasm.

I'll wait for some videos of how this works but really, are we not all at least a little bit burned out on FPS multiplayer?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Yeah, it's certainly a strange-fitting concept, but then, action figure aisles have been filled by Scuba Ninja Strike and Volcano Armor Batmen for the last 20-some years.

Sometimes it's okay to throw faithfulness to the side for fun.

plc268

SalsaShark said:
well call me stupid, but the design got my hopes up a bit

at least is something out of the ordinary

Me too. I'm not sure why so many people here are being negative nancies, but judging on that picture has got me intrigued.

We don't even have any shots of gameplay and people are already completely dismissing the game...wtf?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: People informing me that "Jokerz" is a real thing in the comics. Hoisted by my own petard, self-owned, etc etc.

Sorry Monolith for assuming your team came up with such a crappy name. Next time I'll blame DC ;)

Top Bottom