• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith shows Gotham City Imposters (XBLA/PSN/PC, 4v4 FPS) [Up: First Screenshot]

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Chairhome said:
batwars.jpeg
Man I love Bat-88. I always thought SCUD: The Disposable Assassin's design was loosely based on IG-88.

TxdoHawk

I think the concept is interesting on paper. Surprised people are so quick to hate on this when we have almost zero details. Sick of Modern Warfare and Halo games, so I'm willing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt and see what they come up with.

This can't be the only project Monolith have been working on since finishing Fear 2... can it?

Looks interesting, but I was kinda getting my hopes up for an Inception game when they mentioned they were working on a WB property.

Xater

element said:
Built on a HIGHLY modified F.E.A.R. 2 tech.

Lots of people are missing this...

Why is that so interesting? Like someone else already said I have not enjoyed a single MP mode Monolith ever did. Their SP is where it's at, especially with NOLF.

I had a chance to check out the multiplayer deathmatch which put me in the shoes of a Bat armed with an assault rifle, shotgun, pipebombs and grappling hook.

Everything I have always wanted in a Batman game. Suck it Arkham City.

Dacon said:
I just don't understand why you would do this, a shooter in the Batman universe? Geez.
Batman is popular. Shooting stuff is popular. Combine the two and you have the Game of The Year in Gotham City Imposters.

Vice

I was hoping for something like AC:Brotherhood's multiplayer.

Maybe it will have some interesting objective gametypes.

Why not just make a NOLF sequel without the license?

What a terrible mix of IP, dev, and genre. Batman FPS, what's next, a Superman arcade racer by Polyphony?

Dacon

Banned
Darkshier said:
Batman is popular. Shooting stuff is popular. Combine the two and you have the Game of The Year in Gotham City Imposters.

Somehow I doubt that quite a bit. I'd rather have had a multiplayer game utilizing arkham city gameplay. But I suppose this works for some people, I'm just burnt out on most shooters I guess.

element

Xater said:
Why is that so interesting? Like someone else already said I have not enjoyed a single MP mode Monolith ever did. Their SP is where it's at, especially with NOLF.
MP in FEAR (PC) was great. MP in NOLF was good. MP in Shogo was super fun. Which is what this team has worked on. This team didn't work on MP for Condemned 2 or FEAR 2.

Xater

element said:
MP in FEAR (PC) was great. MP in NOLF was good. MP in Shogo was super fun. Which is what this team has worked on. This team didn't work on MP for Condemned 2 or FEAR 2.

Glad you are trying to educate me on Monolithe games but I played all those games and I still didn't like a single one in MP.

markot

Banned
Wouldnt a 4 on 4 in the style of AA be a better idea >_<?

Batman, Robin, Batgirl and Nighthawk V selected baddies.... Hell, a super big co op game ala l4d...

But a fps?......

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Xater said:
Glad you are trying to educate me on Monolithe games but I played all those games and I still didn't like a single one in MP.

Monolith MP is generally pretty bad except for AvP 2 which was a blast multiplayer.

This sounds really stupid, of all the projects to put Monolith on, this is what WB greenlights?

Xater

Sinatar said:
Monolith MP is generally pretty bad except for AvP 2 which was a blast multiplayer.

This sounds really stupid, of all the projects to put Monolith on, this is what WB greenlights?

Shit forgot they made AvP2. Ok that one was actually fun.

squicken

element said:

So if this is Monolith's A Team, why are they working on an XBLA shooter that awkwardly incorporates an IP owned by their parent company? What's the B team doing? iPhone games? Has the studio really fallen that much?

element

squicken said:
So if this is Monolith's A Team, why are they working on an XBLA shooter that awkwardly incorporates an IP owned by their parent company? What's the B team doing? iPhone games? Has the studio really fallen that much?
Actually this team wanted to do something smaller so they could take more risks and try something different.
The other team at Monolith is working on big games.

SykoTech

Wow. How unexpected...not really in a pleasant way, but more of a "WTF"-way.

I guess I'll be waiting for footage/screenshots before getting too critical, but the premise alone has already killed a lot of my interest.

Raide

Could be Batman's answer to Spies Vs Mercs. FakeBats sneak around and use stealth etc, FakeJokers use traps and weaponry.

Busty

Banned
Isn't this 'imposters' storyline linked to the Hush mini series/graphic novel?

LiK said:
Only 4v4?

This sounds the most interesting part if you ask me. The perfect downloadable experience should offer something that a 'disc release' doesn't and vice versa.

Provided that WB Games and Monolith still intend to unveil a 'proper' NEW IP at E3 this all sounds fine to me.

GQman2121

Banned
I don't know how I feel about this. I'm going to need to see the art, but 4 v.4 seems like an odd choice for a shooter now days.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DMczaf said:
When time runs out, does the real Batman crash into the map with the Tumbler and arrest everyone who's still alive?
God, I hope so.

squicken

element said:
Actually this team wanted to do something smaller so they could take more risks and try something different.

Well I loved FEAR1 and Condemned1, and didn't think FEAR2 was as bad as most people seem to. But there are soooo many MP shooters, so I don't really see how this is "something different" other than having the player models in different costumes.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
twBB9.jpg

It's not Bruce Wayne or whatever, but you get the idea...

TxdoHawk

I think the vigilante fake Batman angle is enough to cover the use of weapons. Makes sense. Most wannabes (with a couple of exceptions) would be obsessed with the "cool factor" of being Batman, and not so much his moral choices. Who knows though? With customized layouts, maybe the team has plans to enable combinations of items that let you be effective in a non-lethal capacity.

Raide

Rolf NB said:
Batman shooting guns? You have got to be jokering.

Remember in the Batman film where those fake Batmen run around with guns? More like that and less like actual Batman.

1-D_FTW

If this is taking Monolith back to their more outrageous roots, sign me the fuck up. Sounds awesome (and I don't even like comics, so Batman does nothing for me).

element said:

F yeah.

Sounds stupid, was hoping the Batman XBLA/PSN game would have been a coop beat em up like the Batman Returns game on the SNES. Not another FPS title.

Forkball

If they want to do a Batman multiplayer game, they should have it like Splinter Cell where there's a team of guys with guns and then Batmen with gadgets (or maybe just one Batman).

Top Bottom