• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feral hogs so problematic that Texas Senate passes "Porkchopper" bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subitai

http://www.statesman.com/news/texas/texas-senate-passes-pork-choppers-hunting-bill-1468938.html

The bill would allow coyotes and wild hogs to be hunted from rented seats on helicopters.

fh.map04us.jpg

BoarDamage3.jpg

Edit: Didn't realize that people didn't know this is a real problem. These things are getting gigantic and people have been attacked unprovoked.

http://panews.com/outdoors/x681446177/Wild-hog-attacks-rare-but-scary
There are numerous accounts of hunters (usually hunting hogs with dogs) getting hooked by a boar. While bowhunting for hogs on the 4X Ranch south of San Antonio I met a man that had 83 stitches on his left leg after a hog got hold of him in a cactus thicket while running it with dogs a few years previous. I have since lost track of the man, but I will never forget seeing his scars.

“In one instance, a boar attacked a woman on a Fort Worth jogging trail. Two years ago, a Cherokee County deer hunter died from a feral hog attack.”

The Benton County Daily Record chronicled a wild boar that, “attacked and flipped a utility vehicle on a job site in Waco… and severely injured a Gentry man.”

In 2004, the Associated Press reported, “A Florida Gulf Coast University student is suing the college for failing to control wild boars on campus.”

“Donna Rodriguez said in a lawsuit filed yesterday that a wild boar chased her on campus in October 2004, causing her to fall and suffer serious injuries. The suit claims the school knew the boars were a hazard and its failure to control them resulted in “an unreasonably dangerous condition.”
http://www.wesh.com/news/27626367/detail.html
MELBOURNE, Fla. -- A wild hog attacked two people on Mathers Street in Melbourne before it was captured Thursday.
Investigators said the hog was just one of three wild pigs that residents said have been chasing people in the area near U.S. Highway 1 and Aurora Road.

The area is not considered rural; it is a suburban neighborhood near the center of Melbourne. Residents said they're amazed that the pigs are running wild there.

Squash

Saw a documentary on this on TV awhile back. The whole time all I could think about is more BBQ ribs for me.

Lamel

Banned
That's pretty cool. Imagine all the wild animals N.A. use to have before it was massively settled.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Definitely seen a few around here. Haven't seen them in months, to be honest. Maybe my uncle chased them away when he decided to go midnight hunting for them.:/

I have no problem with people hunting them.

SUPREME1

Banned
I was at a party last week for my cousin's daughter's first communion and they were serving fresh chicharron at the party afterwards.

*fat man smiles*

evil solrac v3.0 said:
another "problem" that has to be decided by mass killings? classy.
You're right. We should release gorillas into the wild to control the hogs. Then snakes to kill the gorillas.

LQX

Wish we had some wild pigs around here. Only animal I can see myself hunting, killing then eating. Deep freeze would be stocked with ribs and bacon for months.

Slayven said:

It's just a little airborne! It's still good! It's still good!

This is pretty cool though. I have no problem with people hunting if they're going to eat the animal afterwards, especially if there's an overpopulation of them.

Rorschach

Just give the coyotes guns. Your hog problem is over. Give them both guns and both your coyote and hog problems are done.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
another "problem" that has to be decided by mass killings? classy.
Feral hogs are extremely dangerous and will attack people and small animals unprovoked. They're also damaging large amounts of vegetation and crops.

So yeah, they need to be taken care of, and that means killing them. Sorry if that bothers you. They're not indigenous - they're an invasive species and should be treated as such.

Slayven

BertramCooper said:
Feral hogs are extremely dangerous and will attack people and small animals unprovoked. They're also damaging large amounts of vegetation and crops.

So yeah, they need to be taken care of, and that means killing them. Sorry if that bothers you. They're not indigenous - they're an invasive species and should be treated as such.
Exactly these things have no redeemable value other then being good eating.

Its been mentioned but the wild hogs that are causing the problems are an invasive species that are really causing a strain on indigenous wildlife. They also can get very large and are very dangerous to people.

They should be hunted, I personally know nothing about helicopter hunting but if it helps cull the population it should be investigated.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck this. Domesticated humans are a bigger threat than wild hogs.

It's pretty insane that we have so much wild food running around we have to pass laws specifying we have to kill it and probably waste it. :/

omg.kittens said:
Fuck this. Domesticated humans are a bigger threat than wild hogs.

Spoken like someone who really doesn't understand the issue. If we are going to go with the "Man was the real monster the whole time" bit we'd better pay some royalties to the twilight zone.

Invasive species like the wild hog are a real danger to natural wildlife, farms, and people.

DoomGyver

This is the only thing that bothers me about this "porkchopper"
Bobcats, red foxes, wild dogs and various non-native "exotic" animals can also be hunted from the skies under the current program.
These should not be shoehorned in with feral hogs and coyotes. Well I guess it's a good thing those two tend to blend in very well. Good luck spotting them from a heli.

I'm surprised no company has tried to capitalize on this. From what I hear, free range boar is one of the tastiest meats out there, and they are pretty lean compared to domesticated pigs.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I remember eating wild boar's cheek when I was younger. It was tender and delicious. Don't know what happened to those massive tusks.

Masta_Killah said:
I'm surprised no company has tried to capitalize on this. From what I hear, free range boar is one of the tastiest meats out there, and they are pretty lean compared to domesticated pigs.
Oh, I'm sure they exist... just not in great enough quantity to control the population.

I wouldn't shed a tear if these pesty swines (lol) were erradicated. Just like I wouldn't cry if we could somehow erradicate the invasive Zebra Mussel or the Asian "Terminator" Carp from the great lakes and the mississippi. These creatures disrupt ecosystems and put native species at risk for extinction.

TL4E

Clearly we are just as problematic to them as they are to us.

But our existence is more justified than their existence, or something.

DoomGyver

TL4E said:

Hey, you know if they planted their own crops and ate their own crops I'd have absolutely no problem with them. They also cause the price of food to go up, the more crops destroyed by boar the less food there is to go around = higher prices at the store.

Ploid 3.0

I eat meat a lot, but seeing that pig laid out like that with it's back foot cut off kinda seem nasty to me. Like imagining a human corpse with his limbs cut off and red.

I don't like seeing my food with faces. I'm more comfortable seeing them sliced up and in a edible state already.

Ploid 3.0 said:
I eat meat a lot, but seeing that pig laid out like that with it's back foot cut off kinda seem nasty to me. Like imagining a human corpse with his limbs cut off and red.
But that's the best way to cook humans. Just think of the taste.

Proelite

How can you people be so cold hearted is beyond me. It's easy to bat an eye such mass murder behind the security of your computer screen. Almost as easy as shooting a helpless animal from 500 ft in the air.

What if you were zapped in your seat by an alien from his spaceship because of some reason obscure to you.

eosos

Banned
TL4E said:

I agree hogs need civil rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom