• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First In Game Screen of MGS3D (off screen, looks different)

Luigiv

2132449893_full.jpg

The graphics look quite different from the Naked Sample tech demo. It's much more colourful but all those fancy shaders are missing. Is this a straight port of the PS2's assets? I can't tell (having not played much of the PS2 version).

A couple of other titbits of info. Apparently the game will have some form of gyro controls and will use the touch screen for switching weapons and items. Will be playable at E3 (no surprise there really).

More info at Andriasang.com

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Luigiv said:
The graphics look quite different from the Naked Sample tech demo. It's much more colourful but all those fancy shaders are missing. Is this a straight port of the PS2's assets? I can't tell (having not played much of the PS2 version).

I do suspect that there will be more effects in cutscenes than in gameplay.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Stumpokapow said:

There will be, like all MGS titles (or games in general for that matter).

I do hope they can sustain a high IQ during gameplay though, with shaders.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I wouldn't say the fancy shaders are missing, honestly.
It does look much more colorful, though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Luigiv said:
2132449893_full.jpg

Are you sure it's not because the 3D is on and it's making the screen visibly distorted? The 3D light is on if you look at the switch on the right.

Luigiv

Stumpokapow said:
Well it's a MGS game so that's guaranteed. Still I was hoping for more normal maps in game.

Somnid

Plinko said:
Are you sure it's not because the 3D is on and it's making the screen visibly distorted? The 3D light is on if you look at the switch on the right.

3D light is always on if it can go 3D. The switch is down. Still the pic isn't the best.

Ahoi-Brause said:
Oh shit... downgrade confirmed?
This looks exactly how I remember the ps2 version. Where are the shaders?

MGS3 on a portable is all you need!

Can't wait to pick up my 3ds and this game!

Rich!

Plinko said:

Dunno if you own a 3DS, but the light stays on regardless of whether you have the slider turned on or not. Look at the slider - it's turned right down, and is off.

The light just lets you know that the content can be viewed in 3D. That screenshot there is in 2D mode.

Lol I was actually first looking at the bottom screen to see how they implemented the menus. And I like what I see. Big space for the map (and possible camera rotation) the complete HUD removed from the top screen. Nice.

Also the game really looks colourfull. Maybe it's to facilitate the smaller screen. MGS3 could be dreadfull to spot enemies at times even on a TV due to the low contrast and saturation of most scenes, so imagine the brown in brown mess on a small portable screen.

Honestly from this screen it looks identical to the released footage (except colour range)

Ahoi-Brause said:

I see some green there, I'm pretty sure the PS2 only contained brown and nothing else.

Empty

liking the bottom screen stuff. should save time bopping in and out of menus and the top screen looks great with no hud.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Ahoi-Brause said:
You can't make them out from that screenshot. It really looks weird.
Actually, I have been looking for older screens for a straight comparison, and these are the only ones at native res I found showing some grass and trees:

pe8da.jpg

Td8sX.jpg

hY4Eo.jpg

Any more I missed?

StuBurns

Banned
I haven't been following the game, but I really hope they've addressed the micromanagement issues. I still think the PS2 version will be better just due to controls.

jett

D-Member
Looks really similar to the original.

Stumpokapow said:

I don't, Kojima has never done that before. Character models are the only things that get improved.

Plinko said:

NO.

The 3D light is NOT an indicator of whether 3D is active or not, it tells you whether 3D content is there or not. Even when the slider is down to zero, the light stays.

wrowa

Cant really see that much on that screen honestly, but a visual downgrade compared to last years demo would be immensely disappointing.

It wouldnt surprise me at all though. I always get the feeling the 3DS port is more of a simple job to KojiPro that they want to ship as soon as possible than a game they are actually are interested in developing.

Luigiv

jett said:
Just noticed there are no camera controls on the touchpad. Shame.
Well if the game was going to have touch screen camera controls, it'd probably be done "mouse look" style (in which case there would not necessarily need to be any markings on the screen for it) however the positioning of the weapon switch buttons suggests that "mouse look" is not on table either, which is a real missed opportunity.

How can people even tell anything about this screenshot? (it looking diff etc)

It's tiny tiny tiny, the camera is facing upwards and all you can see is some grass, a bright sky and snake's back from a distance.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
ThoseDeafMutes said:
NO.

The 3D light is NOT an indicator of whether 3D is active or not, it tells you whether 3D content is there or not. Even when the slider is down to zero, the light stays.

SETTLE DOWN. It was already answered--I forgot it's on all the time in 3D mode.

So, what's on the touch screen?

Bottom-Right: Weapon + Attachment, Item.

Top Right: Camo, Backpack.

Middle: Map.

Top: Life, Stamina (With weird 4x sign)

Top-Left: ???? (Any Ideas??)

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I don't know what you guys are talking about, looks like the demo to me. It's just a small blurry screenshot.

Morokh

SneakyStephan said:
How can people even tell anything about this screenshot? (it looking diff etc)

It's tiny tiny tiny, the camera is facing upwards and all you can see is some grass, a bright sky and snake's back from a distance.

I'm even surprised no one made a comment about the number of FPS at that point :D

boris feinbrand said:
My eyes, OH God the headache, where did you find this?

Haha, a bad youtube capture of the same area, I tried to brighten it up a bit.
The point was the cliffs look the same, but I should have said that.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Graphics Horse said:
Haha, a bad youtube capture of the same area, I tried to brighten it up a bit.
I thought you were being sarcastic by showing the blurriest picture you could find :O

jett

D-Member
Actually now that I remember I think the PS2 version didn't have bloom lighting on the skies, so that's one noticeable improvement you can gather from the screen.

Luigiv

Graphics Horse said:
The point was the cliffs look the same, but I should have said that.
Yeah first thing I noticed too. The Naked Sample demo had a very different cliff face texture with some very obvious normal mapping. In the new screen the Cliff texture looks identical to the PS2 version, very obviously without normal mapping.

herod

Assets are bound to be the same. I guess they will add effects as appropriate while keeping the framerate acceptable. Seems pretty obvious.

Top Bottom