• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese tourists stricken by Paris Syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raist

Banned
No, this is not some kind of disgusting disease due to poor hygiene standards in Parisian restaurants.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6197921.stm

A dozen or so Japanese tourists a year have to be repatriated from the French capital, after falling prey to what's become known as "Paris syndrome".

That is what some polite Japanese tourists suffer when they discover that Parisians can be rude or the city does not meet their expectations.

The experience can apparently be too stressful for some and they suffer a psychiatric breakdown.

Around a million Japanese travel to France every year.

Many of the visitors come with a deeply romantic vision of Paris - the cobbled streets, as seen in the film Amelie, the beauty of French women or the high culture and art at the Louvre.

The reality can come as a shock.

An encounter with a rude taxi driver, or a Parisian waiter who shouts at customers who cannot speak fluent French, might be laughed off by those from other Western cultures.

But for the Japanese - used to a more polite and helpful society in which voices are rarely raised in anger - the experience of their dream city turning into a nightmare can simply be too much.

This year alone, the Japanese embassy in Paris has had to repatriate four people with a doctor or nurse on board the plane to help them get over the shock.

It was a Japanese psychiatrist working in France, Professor Hiroaki Ota, who first identified the syndrome some 20 years ago.

On average, up to 12 Japanese tourists a year fall victim to it, mainly women in their 30s with high expectations of what may be their first trip abroad.

The Japanese embassy has a 24-hour hotline for those suffering from severe culture shock, and can help find hospital treatment for anyone in need.

However, the only permanent cure is to go back to Japan - never to return to Paris.

lol, wimps.

As a french man, I have to say
Paris sucks

G.O.O.

4900-0.jpg

I'm from Paris and I have this shirt

this is nuts, but I guess I can sort of understand if you're in your 30s and travelling for the first time...and you had a built up perception in your mind about how magical traveling abroad is...and you think all societies are just like yours...and you never bothered to consider reading in depth about where you're traveling to...and you never talked to anyone else who had been there...and you were very mentally fragile...

wait wtf japan lol

SmokyDave

I love Paris. Yeah, lots of the people fucking suck but that's the same with any capital city. Yeah, the banlieue look like a 3rd world shanty-town, but so do lots of areas in lots of capital cities. Yeah, some streets smell like raw sewage, but others smell like bread & beer.

I love Paris, the Japanese need to man up.

Salazar said:
This is something I would not abide.
This is where you & I differ, sir. When in France, speak French.

Also, partially, because I know that an English waiter would act the same when confronted with a French speaking customer.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
A 5 year old news story? It's funny how these things randomly appear on the Most Read section of the BBC site.

Anyway Paris isn't that bad, though it does seem to have more rude waiters than elsewhere. Luckily I speak French so it's not an issue for me. That said I don't think it's much worse than any other world capital, this reflects worse on Japanese culture than on the French.

Chuckie

glaurung said:
Paris ain't that bad. The Japanese should travel to Eastern Europe or the poorer parts of the East.

The problem isn't that Paris is that bad, the problem is the difference between the expectation and the reality. Paris has been idolised as THE city of romance for centuries.
If you expect a clean beautiful city full of people wearing barets eating baguette's and saying "Bonjour mademoiselle" then you are gonna get fucking disappointed.
The city stinks and the inhabitants can be fucking rude... just like all the other big cities in the world.

Salazar said:
This is something I would not abide.

Yeah but I can imagine if that french guy came to america or any other english speaking country actually you'd expect him to speak English when ordering food right? Rather than reeling off his order if fluent French and you had no idea what in the fuck he was talking about?
I think most Parisians just get fucked off with people constantly assuming they speak fluent English I suppose? I know I would!

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Erm, isn't that simply called culture shock? That's not something special. Same thing happens to westerners in Japan.

It's just too different for some people to adapt.

Salazar

SmokyDave said:

I would do my best, but I recognise that my French has patches of inelegance here and there.

And the only person I will suffer to shout at me is a football referee or a very beautiful woman.

Johnlenham said:
Yeah but I can imagine if that french guy came to america you'd expect him to speak English when ordering food right? Rather than reeling off his order if fluent French and you had no idea what in the fuck he was talking about?

The standard (and pretty fucking intuitive) compromise is to hold up the menu and point at what you want. Waiters in Rome manage superbly in this respect.

ShinNL

Des0lar said:
Erm, isn't that simply called culture shock? That's not something special. Same thing happens to westerners in Japan.

Really? I thought Japan was amazing :eek:

gerg

Why are we posting a four year-old article?

Anyway, I love Paris (as do I the rest of France), but I can understand why Japanese expectations of the culture would be so suddenly and greatly shattered.

Raist

Banned
Salazar said:
And the only person I will suffer to shout at me is a football referee or a very beautiful woman.

So fair game is you're being served by a beautiful waitress?

Des0lar

will learn eventually
SmokyDave said:
I love Paris. Yeah, lots of the people fucking suck but that's the same with any capital city. Yeah, the banlieue look like a 3rd world shanty-town, but so do lots of areas in lots of capital cities. Yeah, some streets smell like raw sewage, but others smell like bread & beer.

I love Paris, the Japanese need to man up.

Also, partially, because I know that an English waiter would act the same when confronted with a French speaking customer.

When in Germany speak German? When in Italy speak Italian? When in Croatia speak Croatian? Doesn't work like that bro.
There is a reason why waitresses in other countries have to know at least a little bit of English.
Being angry at someone because he doesn't speak your language is one of the most arrogant things ever.

Soneet said:
Really? I thought Japan was amazing :eek:
Maybe for a week. Try working and living there. I'm not saying everyone feels the same, but I know of a lot of people who couldn't handle it.
When expectations meet reality stuff like this happens.

James-Ape said:
A news article from 2006?
Yeah, I read this article ages ago, although I remember the wording being different, saying that the Japanese tourists suffered post-traumatic stress disorder after their ordeals with rudeness.

Enosh

The experience can apparently be too stressful for some and they suffer a psychiatric breakdown.
seriously?

basicly PTSD from visiting a city as a tourist and the people being mean to you...

Des0lar said:

Well you should read up on the city/country first to be honest, I was told I would get culture shock when going to India but when I got there it was pretty much exactly hwo I had read about it and pictured it so it didn't effect me atall. Infact I got it coming BACK to England as I realized how unfriendly people can be here and how there were so few people around by comparison

Raist

Banned
gerg said:
Why are we posting a four year-old article?

Came up on the "most popular" section on the BBC website. didn't really pay attention to the date. I guess it's still valid anyway :p

G.O.O.

Tence said:
The city stinks and the inhabitants can be fucking rude... just like all the other big cities in the world.
Pretty much.

It's a beautiful city with some really awesome places. But still a big city.

Also, people are more and more depressed here, which could be why they get rude so easily.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Johnlenham said:
Well you should read up on the city/country first to be honest, I was told I would get culture shock when going to India but when I got there it was pretty much exactly hwo I had read about it and pictured it so it didn't effect me atall. Infact I got it coming BACK to England as I realized how unfriendly people can be here and how there were so few people around by comparison

Was it a trip or did you live in India for a while?
And yeah, I know this makes my point kinda moot because those tourists weren't living in France either lol

Neo Child

Banned
I remember hearing about this when I went to Paris with my (ex)girlfriend 2 years ago. I didn't believe her fully but I could see how it might be shocking as it's pretty dissapointing when you get off the plane. Though once you actually explore Paris is incredibly beautiful and full of these little cobbled streets and markets and everything you expect Paris to be. Basically in love with the place now.

SmokyDave

Salazar said:
I would do my best, but I recognise that my French has patches of inelegance here and there.

That's cool, I'm not fluent. Making the effort makes all the difference. Shouting the order in English is the height of uncouth behaviour.

Des0lar said:
When in Germany speak German? When in Italy speak Italian? When in Croatia speak Croatian? Doesn't work like that bro.
There is a reason why waitresses in other countries have to know at least a little bit of English.
Being angry at someone because he doesn't speak your language is one of the most arrogant things ever.
It does for me. I learn the basics of the language of the country I'm visiting. Normally takes a month, 6 weeks tops. Sticks with me afterwards too.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Ah, the infamous "Paris syndrome".

I attended a conference on this 2 years ago (or was it last year?), and what came out of it is that nothing came out of it. Nobody was able to define the syndrome scientifically or explain with any degree of precision why it happened. Worse, instead of broadcasting documentaries, interviewing people who were once affected and people who knew them, what we got was amateur-level short movies of all things. Yeah, fictional work is always a sound basis for discussion of a supposed real-life medical condition.

The Paris syndrome is just the Japanese/France version of the good ol' culture shock. People going abroad having highly unrealistic expectations and being brought down to earth the hard way. Hits them like a brick. Now, you might argue that this is some kind of special case because 1) the Japanese's view of France is ludicrously dream-like (basically, it's all romance, fashion and beautiful monuments), 2) they're not exactly the most "internationally aware" people in the first place. That might be true, and what's also true is that as a consequence there are many Japanese people in Paris, but it doesn't make the phenomenon itself some kind of geographic/identity-exclusive disorder. France is not special, and the Japanese aren't special either.

Johnlenham said:
Yeah but I can imagine if that french guy came to america or any other english speaking country actually you'd expect him to speak English when ordering food right? Rather than reeling off his order if fluent French and you had no idea what in the fuck he was talking about?
I think most Parisians just get fucked off with people constantly assuming they speak fluent English I suppose? I know I would!

No waiter in America would get to yell at their customers for not being able to speak English without getting fired. A pretty big percentage of American resturant customers probably only speak Spanish.

Salazar

Trent Strong said:
No waiter in America would get to yell at their customers for not being able to speak English without getting fired.

Muttering would be so much more effective, anyway.

"Oww dare you Eeeeeenglish pig-dogs..."

ShinNL

Des0lar said:
Maybe for a week. Try working and living there. I'm not saying everyone feels the same, but I know of a lot of people who couldn't handle it.
When expectations meet reality stuff like this happens.
Oh work, I thought you were talking about vacations. I know about the working conditions, they're pretty much workaholics there. I didn't think people actually want to work there :eek:

Last time I went there for a month, so as a tourist it's an awesome place :p

gerg

Sir Fragula said:
Paris sucks, London sucks... most capital cities suck.

London is the best city in the world.

It's almost de facto because it has the British Museum.

Trickster

SmokyDave said:

English is a much more universally accepted and spoken language than french. French people really need to accept that.

Also the flaw in your argument is that it would require french people to speak the language of whatever country they travel to, and they sure as fuck don't most of the time.

Edit - and no, an english waiter would not shout at a customer for not speaking english, that'd be really unprofessional.

SmokyDave

gerg said:
London is the best city in the world.

It's almost de facto because it has the British Museum.
Prague > London.

Although there are tiny slices of London that I like.

Trickster said:
English is a much more universally accepted and spoken language than french. French people really need to accept that.
Outside of France, I agree.

Also the flaw in your argument is that it would require french people to speak the language of whatever country they travel to, and they sure as fuck don't most of the time.
That's their problem. It takes minimal time and effort to acquire basic language skills in most languages, certainly European, and the courtesy makes a huge difference in how you will be treated.

Salazar

SmokyDave said:
Prague > London.

Ugh. A friend is off to Prague for the Shakespeare conference.

She's staying in the most crude accommodation imaginable, but it still burns me up.

jorma

is now taking requests
Trent Strong said:
No waiter in America would get to yell at their customers for not being able to speak English without getting fired. A pretty big percentage of American resturant customers probably only speak Spanish.

In the US all the rude people get fired from McD and end up working for the TSA instead?

Des0lar said:
Was it a trip or did you live in India for a while?
And yeah, I know this makes my point kinda moot because those tourists weren't living in France either lol

I was there for five weeks backpacking :)

gerg

Willy105 said:
They did it politely.

Tell that to the Chinese!

Yes, I get the joke.

I also wonder what Japan's prior war sins have to do with modern-day travel expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom