• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So an airline clerk (in Saudi) lashed out at my gf for saying "d as in dog"

Status
Not open for further replies.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I live in Saudi Arabia and my gf booked a flight to NYC but won't be able to make the reserved date so she decided to call up the airline and reschedule. When the airline clerk (Indian Muslim fellow) requested the booking number, she gave it to him. When she got to the letter D, she simply said "D as in Dog" and the dude goes into a hissyfit. He told her not to say Dog and proceeded to ask her whether or not she was Muslim several times.

What the fuck? I mean what the fuck? This fucking country, man...

Wanace

That's weird, I probably would've paused for a second and said, ".....OK then, D as in dickhead customer service rep."

VariantX04

There are plenty of households in Saudi with dogs but some people (religious zealots and their followers) consider it a sin to own a dog.

Use the NATO alphabet next time to make sure not to offend anybody. Seriously I don't see the problem and why the airline guy freaked out so much about that. Probably had a bad day, is underpaid, etc. whatnot.

MrHicks

Banned
muslims have some problem with dogs i think
they are "unclean" or some BS

same way they don't eat "pigs" yet eat allot of other animals who are a whooole lot more "unclean"

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
I have had to start using Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Echo etc etc at work (fuck outsourcing IT)............. but when im on the phone im in public and feel like some head case.

jaxword

AgentWhiskers said:
My gf booked a flight to NYC but won't be able to make the reserved date so she decided to call up the airline and reschedule. When the airline clerk (Indian Muslim fellow) requested the booking number, she gave it to him. When she got to the letter D, she simply said "D as in Dog" and the dude goes into a hissyfit. He told her not to say Dog and proceeded to ask her whether or not she was Muslim several times.

If I am correct in interpreting this, as the details are a little scant, it seems that the agent found the word "dog" offensive.

I believe, under traditional Islamic rules, that culture does not view dogs in a positive light. They are not to be pets because they are unclean, and thus are not "good" creatures. Muhammad is said to have a negative view on dogs.

So I can see some extremely religious fanatic completely freaking out and thinking she (a woman, at that) is bringing up an unclean animal of your religion.

Sort of like, say, talking about really good food to a Jewish person and comparing it to really succulent pork. Oops, forgot, sorry.

AgentWhiskers said:
My gf booked a flight to NYC but won't be able to make the reserved date so she decided to call up the airline and reschedule. When the airline clerk (Indian Muslim fellow) requested the booking number, she gave it to him. When she got to the letter D, she simply said "D as in Dog" and the dude goes into a hissyfit. He told her not to say Dog and proceeded to ask her whether or not she was Muslim several times.

I've come across muslims like this many times. The worst kind.

I have the feeling that the clerk must have thought your GF was muslim too or something. That's what usually happens.

Zapages

MrHicks said:

same way they don't eat "pigs" yet eat allot of other animals who are a whooole lot more "unclean"

My grandparents used to have pet dog in their home. But my Grandfather was a veterinarian though so it slightly different. :)

Tideas

Banned
AgentWhiskers said:

this country? you do know the person probably isn't from the US right?

Carton

Should've said the rest in breeds of dogs: "Oh, i'm sorry. D as in Doberman" "Hmmph, that's better."

Enosh

Zapages said:
Clerk = idiot. Nothing to do with being Muslim at all.
that's bullshit

regarding dogs as unclean is a muslim specific issue, if he wasn't a muslim he could still be an idiot but he sure as fuck wouldn't have problem with dogs

MrHicks

Banned
*knows Muslim guy is on phone*

Lulz: "uuuuum yes imma give you the number"

Muslim guy: "okay"

Lulz:
"P as in Pig"
"J as in Jew"
"I as in Israel"
"T as in Talmud"

Muslim guy: "FFFFFFUUUUUUUU"

20110128203738!Trollface.png

Zapages

MrHicks said:
*knows Muslim guy is on phone*

Lulz: "uuuuum yes imma give you the number"

Muslim guy: "okay"

Lulz:
"P as in Pig"
"J as in Jew"
"I as in Israel"
"T as in Talmud"

Muslim guy: "FFFFFFUUUUUUUU"

20110128203738!Trollface.png

I think we should try this... ROTFL:D

m0dus

Banned
Calling someone a dog would be an insult in the cultural context, but in this circumstance, you gf didnt violate some sacred Islamic law. The guy was just an idiot and a dipshit that deserves to be fired.

VariantX04

crazy monkey said:
you are as smart as the clerk
Could you please elaborate?

Tideas said:
this country? you do know the person probably isn't from the US right?
My girlfriend and I are from Saudi Arabia. This call was to an office in Saudi Arabia. I probably should've communicated that better in the OP. Apologies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jaxword said:
If I am correct in interpreting this, as the details are a little scant, it seems that the agent found the word "dog" offensive.

I believe, under traditional Islamic rules, that culture does not view dogs in a positive light. They are not to be pets because they are unclean, and thus are not "good" creatures. Muhammad is said to have a negative view on dogs.

So I can see some extremely religious fanatic completely freaking out and thinking she (a woman, at that) is bringing up an unclean animal of your religion.

Sort of like, say, talking about really good food to a Jewish person and comparing it to really succulent pork. Oops, forgot, sorry.

Just to add kindling to the fire, it should also be noted that the Prophet had a cat (Muezza) who he loved very much. Islam looks very negatively on those who mistreat or abuse cats and Muslims are encouraged highly to own and love cats as pets.

So, Cats vs. Dogs, go.

jaxword

m0dus said:
Calling someone a dog would be an insult in the cultural context, but in this circumstance, you gf didnt violate some sacred Islamic law. The guy was just an idiot and a dipshit that deserves to be fired.

Perhaps, even, he is...a dogshit?

gerg

jaxword said:

A relatively orthodox Jew, mind.

MrHicks said:

I understand the guy in the OP is a bit extreme, but help me understand his POV.

Why would Allah create such creatures if even naming them is a grave offense?

Vagabundo

ymmv said:
Of course it has. Lots of muslims think dogs are unclean. It's the only relgion in the world with this crazy hatred of dogs.

Well Jews wont eat ANY of the following, according to wikipedia:

Abalone
Alligator
Ape
Bear
Cat
Catfish
Cheetah
Clam
Cockatoo
Coyote
Crow
Dog
Dolphin
Eel
Elephant
Fox
Gecko
Gibbon
Hedgehog
Horse
Hyena
Iguana
Jaguar
Kangaroo
Koala
Kookaburra
Leopard
Lion
Lobster
Lynx
Magpie
Parrot
Penguin
Prawns
Quokka
Quoll
Rhinoceros
Ratel
Raccoon
Rat
Scallop
Seal
Shark
Squid
Squirrel
Snake
Starfish
Skunk
Tasmanian Devil
Tiger
Turtle
Umbrella bird
Viper
Wallaby
Wolf
Wombat
Worm
X-ray fish
Yapok

mmmm squirrel...

Stumpokapow said:
Just to add kindling to the fire, it should also be noted that the Prophet had a cat (Muezza) who he loved very much. Islam looks very negatively on those who mistreat or abuse cats and Muslims are encouraged highly to own and love cats as pets.

So, Cats vs. Dogs, go.
29xt4l3.gif

gerg

Vagabundo said:
Well Jews wont eat ANY of the following, according to wikipedia:

I propose that the vast majority of Jewish people don't follow any particularly thorough reading of the kashrut laws.

jaxword

Instigator said:
I understand the guy in the OP is a bit extreme, but help me understand his POV.

Why would Allah create such creatures if even naming them is a grave offense?

Yeah, you do realize those kinds of logical questions do not work in religious reasoning, right?

"Why would God do (contradictory act X)?" never, ever gets a straight answer, so I wouldn't bother.

nib95

Banned
Lol, you sure the guy wasn't just having a laugh? Because there's nothing in Islam that says anything about mentioning "dog" lol. Never heard that one.

Vagabundo

gerg said:
I propose that the vast majority of Jewish people don't follow any particularly thorough reading of the kashrut laws.

Lol I'd be surprised if many Jews (and non Jews) have eaten anything from that list.

I don't think I've eaten anything on it myself.

Ydahs

Guys, nowhere does it state that Muslims cannot mention dogs. Killing or harming any animal is a sin, whether it be a pig or a dog. There is no hatred for dogs in the religion.

jaxword

Ydahs said:
Guys, nowhere does it state that Muslims cannot mention dogs. Killing or harming any animal is a sin, whether it be a pig or a dog. There is no hatred for dogs in the religion.

Are Muslims are allowed to have dogs in the house as pets?

Raist

Banned
Vagabundo said:
Lol I'd be surprised if many Jews (and non Jews) have eaten anything from that list.

I can check 14 in that list :X

Zapages

jaxword said:
Are Muslims are allowed to have dogs in the house as pets?

As I said, yes. My grandparents had a few pet dogs throughout the years. Jeez. :| Also my grandfather was veterinarian.

gerg

Vagabundo said:

A lot of the shellfish is quite common, and shark may come up if you ever want to eat shark fin soup. (Ignore the other ethical concerns with the production of that dish.)

But, still, I really don't think that the majority of Jewish people really pay a lot of attention to the kashrut any more. If you're willing to accept (as many do) that the Torah is a man-made work of many authors, with very little literal content, then further believing that the kashrut laws were created, possibly for health reasons, in a bygone era isn't a big step to make.

lol51

I remember when i was first learning English spending time trying to translate all the bad language i knew.

Arabic "ibnil kelb" literally translates to "son of a dog". That doesn't sound insulting, so I figure closest would be "Son of a bitch."

This is probably a situation where Dog and Bitch are interchangeable here.

I think it takes a pretty toxic (if interesting) blend of fundamentalism and political correctness (for lack of a better term) to go from, "Dogs are unclean," to, "Dog is an unclean word."

Note, I would being saying the same thing if this were an orthodox Jew saying, "Prawns are unclean. Are you Jewish? Use a different word."

Zapages

lol51 said:
I remember when i was first learning English spending time trying to translate all the bad language i knew.

Arabic "ibnil kelb" literally translates to "son of a dog". That doesn't sound insulting, so I figure closest would be "Son of a bitch."

This is probably a situation where Dog and Bitch are interchangeable here.

In Urdu, calling someone a dog means what I have bolded in your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom