• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So an airline clerk (in Saudi) lashed out at my gf for saying "d as in dog"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStop7

Banned
AgentWhiskers said:
I live in Saudi Arabia and my gf booked a flight to NYC but won't be able to make the reserved date so she decided to call up the airline and reschedule. When the airline clerk (Indian Muslim fellow) requested the booking number, she gave it to him. When she got to the letter D, she simply said "D as in Dog" and the dude goes into a hissyfit. He told her not to say Dog and proceeded to ask her whether or not she was Muslim several times.

What the fuck? I mean what the fuck? This fucking country, man...

should have responded to his muslim question with "D as in David. As in Star of."

Rapstah said:
So essentially his hate of dogs was really cultural from India and he's trying to excuse it religiously?
I don't think it is confined to India. I also don't know the man, so I can't say.

All I know is that a hatred of dogs isn't an Islamic thing, they are God's creation. Just because pigs are unclean, doesn't mean anyone should hate them. That is not rational, like hating a tree that has thorns that sting you.

I do have a particular love for cats though. They keep you humble.

alphaNoid

Banned
Zapages said:
Clerk = idiot. Nothing to do with being Muslim at all.
Actually since he was offended she used the word Dog, and asked if she was a muslim several times I would say that, Yes, Yes it does have something to do with him being a muslim.

alphaNoid said:
Actually since he was offended she used the word Dog, and asked if she was a muslim several times I would say that, Yes, Yes it does have something to do with him being a muslim.
But possibly more to do with being an idiot. TBH I don't know the situation, maybe he took it like someone saying 'b for bitch' and he was asking if she was Muslim to tell her not to use foul language?

I shouldn't be laughing but this scenario is just funny. The guy really has some pent up issues.

"D as in dog"
"Did you just call me a dog??! HOW DARE YOU"

artist

Banned
Its a cultural thing more than being Islamic. A "dog" is a derogatory term in the sub-continent.

Also it feels like we dont have the full conversation or all the details here and the convo looks jumpy.

AgentWhiskers said:
There are plenty of households in Saudi with dogs but some people (religious zealots and their followers) consider it a sin to own a dog.
Uninformed zealot.

womfalcs3

Banned
KaotikMind said:
He's talking about "ga7ba" or "gahhba", there's no real way to spell it in english.

And that is weird dude, I never knew dog would spark up such a problem.

"Gahba" means whore. Has no relation to dogs.

Abalone NOM Expensive as fuck tho
Alligator tastes like chicken
Ape
Bear
Cat
Catfish NOM
Cheetah
Clam NOM
Cockatoo
Coyote
Crow
Dog
Dolphin
Eel NOM with the Uagi sauce
Elephant
Fox
Gecko
Gibbon
Hedgehog
Horse NOM french love this stuff
Hyena
Iguana
Jaguar
Kangaroo
Koala
Kookaburra
Leopard
Lion
Lobster NOM NOM
Lynx
Magpie
Parrot
Penguin
Prawns NOM
Quokka
Quoll
Rhinoceros
Ratel
Raccoon
Rat
Scallop NOM
Seal
Shark YUCK too metallic
Squid
Squirrel
Snake NOM Tastes like EEL
Starfish
Skunk
Tasmanian Devil
Tiger
Turtle Tastes very gamey
Umbrella bird
Viper
Wallaby
Wolf
Wombat
Worm
X-ray fish WUT
Yapok

just fyi, when people say "unclean" or something like "ritually unclean", they're referring to the typical washing before prayer (ablution, wudu). If you get licked or pet a dog, your wudu is void and you have to perform it again if you want to pray. some other things that void wudu are:

going to the bathroom
vomitting
being unconscious

so to make as close of an everyday analogy as possible, petting and getting licked by a dog is about equivalent to taking a piss. just wash up before you pray and everything is fine. You don't have to be "ritually clean" all throughout the day--only if you need to perform acts that its mandatory for, the most common of which is prayer. the only reason I could see a typical everyday muslim avoiding a dog for is to keep ablution. I'd avoid petting my friend's dog when I stayed over at his house to keep my ablution between my noon and afternoon prayers for instance, its just out of laziness as washing up takes like 20 seconds.

Black dogs (and cats I believe too) are a different story, as many believe completely black animals to be evil, though I'm not really sure if this is cultural or religious. My dad doesn't like black animals for instance, lol, but from my private school teachings it seems to be ambiguous.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
systemfehler said:
Use the NATO alphabet next time to make sure not to offend anybody. Seriously I don't see the problem and why the airline guy freaked out so much about that. Probably had a bad day, is underpaid, etc. whatnot.

NATO? oh, rubbing your western imperialism in our faces now are we?

ymmv said:
Of course it has. Lots of muslims think dogs are unclean. It's the only relgion in the world with this crazy hatred of dogs.

they didn't call the clerk a dog, or say 'we love dogs, they are great'. It was just a word. Even if you think they are unclean, you can accept they exist and the word begins with the letter 'd'

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
ymmv said:
Of course it has. Lots of muslims think dogs are unclean. It's the only relgion in the world with this crazy hatred of dogs.
It has to do with him being Muslim the same way me being American has to do with me being fat. Granted, it's probably easier here, but that in no way means that I wouldn't be a whore for french fries if I lived somewhere else.

You shouldn't pigeonhole it as a "muslim" story.

Also, I could be wrong here, but I don't see "Human" on that list of food that Jews can't eat. Does that mean that if I convert to Judaism I can eat people?

womfalcs3 said:
"Gahba" means whore. Has no relation to dogs.

I know, but bitch means whore now a days so stop dancing around the subject. When you call someone a dog or kalb in arabic you're pretty much saying jerk, bitch on the other hand means either whore and slut or whiner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom