• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So megaman X collection for ps2 doesn't allow you to use component?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Luckily I have 2 ps2's and can use one as a megaman X collection machine with Composite cables, but this is unacceptable. Game looks noticeably worst with composite..

So I guess this thread should serve as a warning to anyone looking to pick this game up. It works fine with component until you choose a game to play and then the screen goes video feed goes out.

Also: not limited to the ps2 version and possibly only effects some set ups.

jbueno

Are you playing on an HDTV? Some HDTVs have trouble displaying 240p content through component. Though I am not sure if said game is indeed true low res.

I don't know much about Mega Man X Collection, but it's possible that the resolution changes to 256x240 like the real SNES or 320x240 like the PS, which IIRC doesn't work over component.

I'm basing this on the fact that some homebrew emulators on the Wii give you the option to switch to native 256x240 resolution, but you get a black screen over component, then a message saying it's unsupported.

Eusis

Betting it sends a 240p signal, much like Ico, Disgaea, and most PS1 games, and I'm presuming a lot of TVs don't bother supporting that over component. Try those games out and see what happens!

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
jbueno said:
Are you playing on an HDTV? Some HDTVs have trouble displaying 240p content through component. Though I am not sure if said game is indeed true low res.
The tv I use for all sd game consoles (dreamcast, ps2, wii) which is a crappy "HD" monitor. I should add that this isn't an isolated incident and has happened to a lot of people.

Ico ect work fine btw. Haven't had an issue with any of my ps2 games like this.

Why would you do that? said:
I don't know much about Mega Man X Collection, but it's possible that the resolution changes to 256x240 like the real SNES or 320x240 like the PS, which IIRC doesn't work over component.

I'm basing this on the fact that some homebrew emulators on the Wii give you the option to switch to native 256x240 resolution, but you get a black screen over component.

This seems like the most likely culprit, since as far as I'm aware there is nothing like HDCP that can be built into a component signal (like there is with HDMI cables). It's not a copy protection issue, it's an issue of compatibility between resolution and your television.

stuminus3

This isn't a problem with the game, it's a problem with your TV not being able to display 240p through component. I couldn't play the GC version of MMX on my old HDTV but it works fine on my Aquos.

The original MM collection outputs at 480i though (so works on everything), I'm not sure why MMX is different.

_dementia said:
If it's a resolution why do other low-res PS2 work fine over component, like DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou?
Because they're actually outputting upscaled 480i.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
stuminus3 said:
This isn't a problem with the game, it's a problem with your TV not being able to display 240p through component. I couldn't play the GC version of MMX on my old HDTV but it works fine on my Aquos.

The original MM collection outputs at 480i though (so works on everything), I'm not sure why MMX is different.
Well since I haven't had this issue with any game before, I'd like to think this game is at fault.

jbueno

_dementia said:
If it's a resolution why do other low-res PS2 work fine over component, like DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou?

I don´t know, weren´t the Arika ports only 240p when played on regular TATE mode only? I believe TATEHOSE mode is indeed 480i so it plays on most displays, but don´t quote me on that.

jbueno said:
I don´t know, weren´t the Arika ports only 240p when played on regular TATE mode only? I believe TATEHOSE mode is indeed 480i so it plays on most displays, but don´t quote me on that.
Okay, that makes sense

Cheerilee

IIRC, the PS2 Megaman games also locked out your ability to use a true-digital Dual Shock 1 and mandated that you must use a pressure-sensitive Dual Shock 2.

ruby_onix said:
IIRC, the PS2 Megaman games also locked out your ability to use a true-digital Dual Shock 1 and mandated that you must use a pressure-sensitive Dual Shock 2.

this was true of most PS2 games. after a while they required a Dualshock 2 to work.
note that the "analog" functions for the face buttons weren't turned on in all games, only some of them. (metal gear solid 2, for instance).

stuminus3

FootNinja said:
While the thread is still afloat I just want to say these games are incredible and I will enjoy destroying all these reploids baby.
It IS the game at fault, because Capcom for whatever reason left the games outputting at 240p instead of 480i (which was weird because as I mentioned even the original MM collection output at 480i)... but it's at fault because of your TV. If you could hook up the SNES via component to your TV it'd be a problem for everything.

OP, maybe someone can loan you some PS2 S-video cables. There isn't THAT much difference between the two, and since Svideo doesn't support progressive scan it should avoid the issue.

The Mana Legend said:
All the more reason to release the Super HD Mega Man Ultimate Collection with every Mega Man console game ever on it!
I'm sure Capcom would sooner make Megaman 11 for the digital services.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
stuminus3 said:
It IS the game at fault, because Capcom for whatever reason left the games outputting at 240p instead of 480i (which was weird because as I mentioned even the original MM collection output at 480i)... but it's at fault because of your TV. If you could hook up the SNES via component to your TV it'd be a problem for everything.
This is truth. After all that complaining, I am just happy I get to play the games though.
965619-479459_mega_man_x2014_super_super.png

I wont let you down T.Light!

Jin34

Is this a problem with HDTVs only because I remember playing Megaman X collection with component on PS2.

jbueno

stuminus3 said:

Yeah Capcom should have offered more display options for their titles, but I believe they didn´t handle all of the conversions themselves. Since I play my pre-HD era systems on a CRT SDTV I would prefer it if Capcom made their PS2 anthology titles display 240p. I know the Capcom Collections Vol 1 and 2 can be patched, but Third Strike and Alpha Anthology are strictly 480i which look awful on a CRT. What can I say, I need my scanlines!

Jin34 said:
Is this a problem with HDTVs only because I remember playing Megaman X collection with component on PS2.

Seems to be only certain ones, because back when I played this on release I was using an old Zenith with component on my PS2 and never had a problem displaying anything.

Vamphuntr

Eusis said:
Betting it sends a 240p signal, much like Ico, Disgaea, and most PS1 games, and I'm presuming a lot of TVs don't bother supporting that over component. Try those games out and see what happens!

I had no idea. The more you know...

I'm playing PS1 games on my PS2 through component on my HDTV and it works fine. I guess my TV is not so bad after all.

gwarm01

The Gamecube version has a similar problem. I can't remember if it was every game on the collection or just a few, but the screen would go black when you selected a game. I'm not sure if it was just a compatibility problem with the Wii or due to using component cables, but it really pissed me off.

Wait, what happens exactly? I'm pretty sure I played X1-4 on my PS2 over component cables, on my HDTV. I had to set the TV (not the PS2) to 4:3 mode, though.

jbueno

Gryphter said:
Wait, what happens exactly? I'm pretty sure I played X1-4 on my PS2 over component cables, on my HDTV. I had to set the TV (not the PS2) to 4:3 mode, though.

Its just that some HDTVs don´t really like being fed 240p content through component cables, so they display an "Incompatible Format" message or something like that, resulting in no picture. Composite or S-Video work fine on those sets.

RedSwirl

Wait what? I've only played MMX Collection briefly on a BC PS3 through HDMI. I should probably check how it looks on my PS2...

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Heysoos said:
I wish they would release some of the Megaman X games on XBLA. :(

Exactly but for PSN for me. I LOVED playing as Zero in x4 he's so damn cool. Capcom release it on PSN

Ranger X

I wonder what kind of shit TV we need for "240p" to fail. Thing is, I don't think it's a real resolution. 240p is 480i with one image (first scan of 240 lines) and then a black screen (the other 240 lines) interlacing each other. The TV shouldn't jack about that and simply receive a 480i signal.

Top Bottom