• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

MagniHarvald said:
I didn't pretend, I didn't know (I haven't looked at the achievement list). Thanks for jumping to conclusions though.

Double bad decision there.

I'm not really 'calling you out' or anything, but did you get 100"% on Forza 3? I'm just curious why you'd be pissed if you didn't bother with the previous one. I know very few people IRL and on my friends list who 100% games to be honest so when I see people complain about factors like this I only assume you have 100% on a few games.

SPEEDxNASTY

Neo Member
Dan ITW at the Paris event from X360Racer, best interview so far in my opinion (not the usual same generic questions like everyone else).
[Translated with Firefox, too lazy to do it myself]

http://www.x360racer.com/divers/149-5-questions/3086-5-questions-a-dan-greenawalt-forza-motorsport-4

Question 1

X360Racer - Since you started in Turn10, in interviews I've seen of you or the articles I've read, you always spoke of the history of "vision". Can you explain a little about how this "vision" has evolved since your beginnings until now? Are there things that you thought, and in the end you did not include the game and back things that you would not even think and are now present in Forza?

Dan Greenawalt - Absolutely, the "vision", as such has been the same since the beginning, these are the cars, love cars, a passion for cars and the fact the players to turn into love Car lovers and car players. But as a team we have evolved, we grew up and how we tried to pursue this vision surprised me because we have very creative guy. On the other hand, it may take time for technology to make certain things possible and there are opportunities that I would like to propose soon ... but honestly, it is ideas and creativity of our team that we have achieved such leaps between FM2 and FM3 FM4 and now, while maintaining the same vision.

Question 2

X360Racer - A question I am often asked, who had the brilliant idea to allow players to make paintjobs in Forza, and you thought that success would also be huge? For example, if you type the name of a car on google image ... like a Turner Motorsport BMW, most of the time you find pictures of the car in the game before the real car!

Dan Greenawalt - It's funny that you mention Turner Motorsport as it is at home that I bought my BMW! But getting back to your question was a team decision, we really wanted to try to push the customization options and the most interesting stuff in there that we wanted to propose means of personal expression to players but we never expected such a result. When we saw the reaction of the players we thought " wow, ok now we will look for ways to move forward , "then we looked at things like the auction house in World of Warcraft and it was suggested our own auction house, and the success was enormous, so we continued and we presented the "showcase", and that too it was a phenomenal box. The trick is that each new feature we think it will have a significant impact, and we would be delighted if it did ... but in reality it explodes completely!

Basically, all this is that we respect the car culture, we respect the gaming culture and we try to give people tools to express these passions. Among these people, there is a small percentage that is capable of things of this world.

Question 3

X360Racer - As of today if we put FM2 and FM4 side by side it almost seems that this is not the same hardware! As a player, do what I can expect to see yet another leap forward in quality of the Xbox 360 or do we reached the max of its abilities.

Dan Greenawalt - The answer is yes. Innovation is the spirit, not material . The material does not give you more features, it offers you the opportunity to achieve them. But once you spend a lot of time on the same hardware and you start to know him ... then you know how to use it, how "fake" to draw the necessary power. The top is not having new material, the top is a few years when you know all the tricks and you know how to get the max for a particular application. But even at that time, there is still room for further improvements, it is always possible to discover new approaches. We have numerous partnerships with ... Hollywood , Warner Brothers , Pirelli , and this often results in innovation, new approaches and that's what makes the difference. Not the hardware, but the approach of the material.

Question 4

X360Racer - For Forza 4, you have "injected" the real data of Pirelli in the game in the physics of tires. Should we expect in future games, which take only the data from the real world and Bilstein for suspension ... a F1 wind tunnel for aerodynamics etc ...?

Dan Greenawalt - Honestly this is the direction we want to add more and more partnerships for data more accurate. The problem however is that when you propose parts "aftermarket" for the modification of vehicles, the number of opportunities and panel data becomes so large that perform the proper research would require a titanic work ... I'm not 100% sure but I answer to your question is moot anyway.

X360Racer - so it would not work with the original car, that's what you mean?

Dan Greenawalt - well, what I know is that through partnerships we can do simulations, but the difference between a damper KW and H & R or Bilstein at the hardness and the physics of springs .. . is very low. The difference here is played at the deflection, hardness ... so here what interest us beyond brands are the different deflections of springs ... Another example, what is the pressure of the clutch this car over it? Rather than test them all, we seek a partner who will enable us to achieve a simulation of the physics of the clutch the best possible, and once completed, we are going to add different variables to represent the differences you see ... I am getting?

X360Racer - I love the natural feel and at the side line but when it comes to math and numbers I passed!

Dan Greenawalt - I just love the numbers, I love math (laughs) . When you play Forza 4 or when you watch someone play this game you know so well, what is the thing you're most proud of?

Question 5

Dan Greenawalt - What I like most is when we realize the closed beta playtest or within our team of Microsoft. What I love is to look at different players approach the game of passion, a passion for the automobile from different perspectives and monitor their progress in the game then they come to us and say " wow that was really cool, you put this in the game, for against, I understand why you put it so ... " and sitting next to that player then there is another player who He does not play as the only feature that the first did not like! And for me it is something great. All players do not necessarily see the game the same way, they do not apprehend the game the same way, but somehow, they find exactly the game they love.

So to answer you, it's really about that which I am proud because I think it is possible, by means of an excellent game design, to make a game without compromise for a player to another. I think it is possible to make the most advanced simulation without removing the fun side of the game for a kid for example. A kid who wants a player who is interested in cars, over time, it removes the driving aids, it is moving gradually towards a more "hardcore" of motor racing. And for the hardcore gamers who have children like me, well it's a way to restart the machine, pass the baton, my children play with the game via Kinect and begin their journey on the same path. This is something I am very proud because in the end is what will replace me, I try to have something that will replace me and that will give future generations the same passion for automobiles that people of my generation.

shinnn

List of Forza Motorsport 4 Autovista Cars

2010 Ferrari 458 Italia
2005 Ford Ford GT
2010 Lexus LF-A
2011 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG
2010 Aston Martin One-77
2009 Bugatti Veyron 16.4
1982 DeLorean DMC-12
1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa
2011 Ferrari 599 GTO
2009 Ferrari California
2002 Ferrari Enzo Ferrari
1995 Ferrari F50
2010 Gumpert Apollo S
2006 Hummer H1 Alpha
2006 Koenigsegg CCX
2008 Lamborghini Reventon
1993 McLaren F1
2005 Mercedes-Benz SLR
2010 Morgan Aero SuperSports
2009 Pagani Zonda Cinque Roadster
2009 #9 Peugeot Sport Total 908
2010 C8 Laviolette LM85
2005 TVR Sagaris

Additional unlockable vehicles:
2554 AMG Transport Dynamics M12 Warthog FAV ("Halo" Warthog)
1931 Bentley 8 Litre

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1196207p1.html

edit: the IGN "exclusive" is the Gumpert AV lol

shinnn

- CVG Dan Interview

- 9lives TV Interview

moar gifs
gamespot_mazda_foxsj2c.gif
gamespot_various1zj5o.gif

Magni

flyinpiranha said:
I'm not really 'calling you out' or anything, but did you get 100"% on Forza 3? I'm just curious why you'd be pissed if you didn't bother with the previous one. I know very few people IRL and on my friends list who 100% games to be honest so when I see people complain about factors like this I only assume you have 100% on a few games.

Currently finishing up the last achievement, which I do intend to get (though probably not before FM4 hits..). I did not get 100% on FM2 because my save file got corrupted and I can't go back to it anymore :(

skyfinch

Just watched gamespot's Zonda F footage back to back with a clip from FM3. The difference in speed, shaders, and sound is crazy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
shinnn said:
List of Forza Motorsport 4 Autovista Cars

2010 Ferrari 458 Italia
2005 Ford Ford GT
2010 Lexus LF-A
2011 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG
2010 Aston Martin One-77
2009 Bugatti Veyron 16.4
1982 DeLorean DMC-12
1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa
2011 Ferrari 599 GTO
2009 Ferrari California
2002 Ferrari Enzo Ferrari
1995 Ferrari F50
2010 Gumpert Apollo S
2006 Hummer H1 Alpha
2006 Koenigsegg CCX
2008 Lamborghini Reventon
1993 McLaren F1
2005 Mercedes-Benz SLR
2010 Morgan Aero SuperSports
2009 Pagani Zonda Cinque Roadster
2009 #9 Peugeot Sport Total 908
2010 C8 Laviolette LM85
2005 TVR Sagaris

Additional unlockable vehicles:
2554 AMG Transport Dynamics M12 Warthog FAV ("Halo" Warthog)
1931 Bentley 8 Litre

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1196207p1.html

edit: the IGN "exclusive" is the Gumpert AV lol
I thought you only started with 3 or so AV cars and had to unlock the rest and those last two were just secrets/extra hard to get?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Xanadu said:
gametrailers "HD" videos are so damn compressed ugh
Racing games videos are by far the most demanding in terms of of compression (since basically each frame is highly different from the previous one), so low bitrate streams like GT's will always look the worst with this type of games. It's the main reason why my stream is still 640x360, with a bitrate higher than GT's "HD".

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I'll try to do a 60 fps version of the Fujimi Kaido video tomorrow, I just got back from vacation so I couldn't do it before.

Couple of questions that may or may not have been answered or known at this point.

1. When upgrading a car to a new class will the computer upgrade to new class levels as well or are we stuck racing against whatever stock class the computer is in?

2. Matte Paint?

3. Can we take photos from replay angles (such as high distances, outside of track, etc.)?

eso76

1. When upgrading a car to a new class will the computer upgrade to new class levels as well or are we stuck racing against whatever stock class the computer is in?

cpu will upgrade cars to top of class

2. Matte Paint?

unknown

3. Can we take photos from replay angles (such as high distances, outside of track, etc.)?

unknown

Iknos

I'm sure that Zonds is a very stable car but it still looks unnaturally flat especially the lack of pitch during heavy breaking.

Mascot

Found time for a few laps on an early build this evening (e3 Alps demo I assume, plus the M5/Nurb F1 combo). Looks very nice. What can I remember?
Gameplay was rock solid 60fps
Mirrors were 30fps
No replays as such, but the post-game bit using replay camera angles where the AI takes over was deffo 60fps with slowdown when the car got close to the camera.
Cockpit detail/clarity/shaders/lighting massively improved
Much harder with all assists off & sim steering
Load times still long
Snow bloom on Alps is a little overdone
I think that's all I can remember from the clusterfuck of the show floor.
Sound was drowned out by the usual cacophony of shite from all angles.

Like I said, early builds but looking good. Just don't expect a revolution.

Edit: chase cam reflections also 30fps, but hood cam ones 60fps.

This was at Eurogamer, BTW.

MagniHarvald said:
Currently finishing up the last achievement, which I do intend to get (though probably not before FM4 hits..). I did not get 100% on FM2 because my save file got corrupted and I can't go back to it anymore :(

Gotcha, see ... you're probably one of the few Dan was talking about. I don't really agree nor disagree with the idea of achievements and such as they aren't detrimental to the 'actual' game but I can totally see why you'd be irritated.

Just buy it and return it the next day lol!

Has there been any news on whether the LE comes with the Pass? I assume if they haven't mentioned it yet then it's probably not happening.

Hope does not need to be kept alive heh.

eso76 said:

cpu will upgrade cars to top of class
I was hoping they would upgrade even into a new class. Oh well. Can't win'em all.

Top Bottom