• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Abyss 3DS (JP) play impressions

mutsu

Got the game today, and just started playing for about 15 minutes. Got some early impressions to share. Will add more as I play.

Opening intro - Not redone in 3D. Think Super Street Fighter 4.

Graphics - Having been playing Zelda 3DS for the past 2 weeks, it feels like play TotA 3DS is a complete downgrade. So much so that it feels like I am playing a title from a different generation. The 3D in this game is minimal, probably on par with some of the earlier third party launch titles. It does an ok job but again I am a bit bias having just played Zelda 3DS, it's really not that great.

What's worse is that there are LOTS of jaggies... So much so sometimes it feels like looking at a crippled piece of paper being made flat again. In some scenes the edges bleeds so much that it feels like a total mess. It is really a jaggy fest, I guess it's a bit like its PS2 counterpart, and not much effort has been made to improve the graphics at all besides adding those subtle 3D. And, the jaggies have nothing to do with the 3D, so turning the slider all the way down doesn't help.

Loading screen - Yep, that infamous loading screen is still present in the same form, but obviously the loading is much improved over the PS2 version. But the loading screen is still there, and I've seen it stay for a max of 2-3 seconds in some scenes so far.

That's all the early impressions I have so far. Everything else feels ok. The portrait used in the skits feel like they are just downscaled to fit on the 3DS resolution, so it looks a bit blurred and not crisp. The game really feels like what it is, a direct port from the PS2 version with as little budget as possible. During anime cutscenes the bottom screen is just blank, where they could have at least put some subtitles there.

Any questions you may have, fire away. Keep in mind though that I've only played about 5 hours of the PS2 version, so I can't do much comparison for ya.

Levyne

Banned
The jags were an issue in the PS2 version as well. I guess people expecting a re-mastering are going to be disapointed, just a blurry port :(. Still a fun game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Shame the budget was probably minimal for the port. Keep updating as you progress with any further tech issues you notice, particularly when combat gets more hectic with effects tossed all over the place.

Oh and have you hit the overworld yet? That is where the bulk of the PS2's worst loading existed. Loading battles when navigating it was upwards 10-15 seconds as I recall.

Also how is the loading for the menu? It was also pretty terrible just to access it during gameplay on the PS2.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I have good memories of Abyss on PS2 (specifically, spent a lot of time learning Japanese while playing through the JP version), so I might have to just stick with the PS2 version if it does turn out the 3DS version is a crap port.

Seda

How long does it take for a battle to load on the world map?

PounchEnvy said:
How's the framerate during combat? If I remember correctly, it was pretty terrible in previous footage.

There was also footage of pretty good framerate in battle.

mutsu said:
The 3D in this game is minimal, probably on par with some of the earlier third party launch titles.

If I'm remembering correctly, TotA was supposed to be released closer to the Japanese launch but was delayed because of the earthquake. Namco must have just sat on the game instead of making any real improvements (aside from removing any potentially upsetting references, of course). That's a shame.

scy

ShockingAlberto said:
If they were going to do a sloppy port, they should have gotten it out for launch.

I think Namco just having bad release timing is basically their MO now.

mutsu

Loading the menu is QUICK, a snap really.

Haven't hit overworld yet. Just started training with Vaan (sorry don't know the proper spelling in English).

Oh yeah, as negative as I sound, I'm just happy to be playing the game really! Fan of the series but haven't been able to play this pinnacle before, so I'm just happy :)

ShockingAlberto said:
If they were going to do a sloppy port, they should have gotten it out for launch.

I think they had to hold it back to do something about the earthquake references in the game. This aside though...you right.

Poyunch

Seda said:
How long does it take for a battle to load on the world map?

There was also footage of pretty good framerate in battle.
I will expect the worst from pubs until proven otherwise!

Jeels

Yikes, hopefully Namco does not look at this game when considering potential localization for future titles because this looks like a mess.

ToD_

Is the game rendered below the native 400x240 that makes it more jaggy than other games? I don't get it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Jeels said:
Yikes, hopefully Namco does not look at this game when considering potential localization for future titles because this looks like a mess.

I don't think the words 'hopefully' and 'Namco' go together very well. We know what they're like.

nckillthegrimace said:
Oh, its sales. Understood. That said, I think it will do fine unless it comes out close to Mario or Mario Kart.
Abyss originally launched in America opposite of FFXII.

They'll find some way to fuck this up, trust me.

matmanx1

Definitely will need more impressions as you get a little farther into the game but I appreciate what you've done so far.

Load times, frame rate and sound quality are all on my list as key elements of the port that could have gone either way and that I'm curious about.

watershed

Banned
DR2K said:
Considering OOT 3DS looks like shit, it's surprising that Tales could look worse.
Have you played the game? What are you using to judge?
Edit: too bad about tales 3ds, I never played it on the ps2 and was looking forward to getting a solid rpg for the 3ds. Will probably pass now.

Gambit

Sounds disappointing, but I will get it nonetheless.

I have only played about 5 hours of my PS2 US-import and the load-times really annoyed me. So, despite the fact that I liked the characters and the combat, I stopped playing.

Now you seem to say the game looks just the same, but has no loading issues, so I will buy begrudingly. Although I am not happy supporting Namco's shoddy ports.

ShockingAlberto said:
I honestly would have preferred a slightly remade Symphonia with cleaned up graphics, decent 3D, and free-run.

If we're wishing for things, then I would have preferred a new Tales.

DR2K said:
Considering OOT 3DS looks like shit, it's surprising that Tales could look worse.

Please tell me you think it looks like an N64 game.

Reknoc

Sounds like a pretty average port. Yet it is still a lot better than the PS2 version's PAL release... and by that I mean it'll actually come out over here.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What I want to know is if this is a good experience if you never played the original and you're not expecting any improvements?

Rpgmonkey

The loading in the PS2 version was about 2-3 times as long, so that's a pretty big improvement at least.

Everything else is definitely copied straight from the PS2 version, complete with the horrible jaggies lol.

Truth101

Banned
Easy_D said:
What I want to know is if this is a good experience if you never played the original and you're not expecting any improvements?

It's the exactly the same as the PS2 version except the loading times are better and so is the framerate.

DR2K

Banned
artwalknoon said:
Have you played the game? What are you using to judge?

The pictures Nintendo use to promote it. It's rather crap for something as advanced as the 3DS.

grumpy

DR2K said:
The pictures Nintendo use to promote it. It's rather crap for something as advanced as the 3DS.

For the most part, OoT 3D looks like a mid to late gen xbox (1) game. Still pictures don't do it any justice, at all. And that's quite a feat for a game whose technological underpinnings began life in 1994-1995.

Top Bottom