• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danball Senki Impressions. Robots, Cardboard, and Conspiracies!?

Shouta

So uh, game's been out for two weeks in Japan and no one's posted anything on it yet? Sheesh. I guess I'll do a bit, been awhile since I've done a thread though. No pictures at the moment unfortunately as I'm at work.

Anyway, the game can be described basically as Level-5 Medabots. The robots are actually toys in the game's setting, albeit really dangerous toys. So much so that they were banned in the game's world once before the beginning of the story. However, because Enhanced Cardboard was created, the toys were allowed again because they could fight in those boxes without having to worry much about damage. They were then called Danbell Senki or Cardboard Troopers (literally robot) hence the title of the game.

Graphics

So despite not looking anything like the PR shots they released ages ago, the game is actually rather nice-looking. It's very colorful, the areas are packed with a lot of neat little details. In a lot of ways, these graphics are the style I'd imagine a new Megaman Legends game would look like on the PSP, a very cartoon-y but warm feel to it despite the technical deficiencies. The character models look very close to their artwork and the robots are pretty details themselves. So while the game isn't anywhere near what the expectations were, I think it's a rather great looking game still.

Sound

I'm not a big aficionado of game music but the soundtrack seems very nice overall. Much of the map music is pretty good and the battle theme isn't too bad either. The biggest point on the sound issue is that there's a lot of voice-acting in the game. I'm only three chapters in and it's surprising how much there's been for almost all the characters. Most of it is solid which helps as well.

Gameplay: RPG section

As the game puts it, there are two sections to it. There's the RPG section, i.e. walk around town, talk to people, progress the story, customize your LBX etc and the battling section.

The RPG section is pretty standard fair though actually, it reminds me of Persona 3/4 in a lot of ways. I think it's because of the way the game sets up the areas and the map. It works exactly like P3/4s map system, areas of town are contained and when you exit it you go to the town map to pick another area. On top of that, the usual areas are all found in it, there's the shopping district, the school, the station, the housing district, the area by the river, etc. In fact, the perspective in the shopping district kind of reminds me of P4's district as well.

One of the other reasons why this section reminds me of P3/4 is, while there is no actual time system to DS, the game progresses the story and presents the characters as living their day to day lives. So your characters go home because it's their curfew or they have to go to school, or an event is set at a certain time to their day. So while you don't have control of the day, it still feels like you're watching their daily lives occur. You also get periodic emails from your friends and can call them to battle at designated spots.

To take it a step further, the game has a Quest BBS that looks a little like the quest system from P3/P4 and functions the same too. You go around town solving people's problems for rewards and the like. It's all really strange how close it feels.

The biggest part of the RPG section is the customization though. The LBX can be customized to a ridiculous degree parts, weapons, internal chips, special attacks, etc. You can mix and match however you like to make your own robot. The only thing I haven't seen yet is the ability to customize the coloring scheme. I haven't seen any option for it in Chap 3 yet but I highly doubt it'll be in the game though I could be wrong. The parts you like also increase in stats as you use them so you can create your own robot and use it for most of the game you want.

Gameplay: Combat

Before the start of matches you're given a chance to customize your LBX and scope out the type of terrain and your opponents a little bit it comes up as a nifty little VS screen

The game is far more action-based than I imagined it to be. Battles are up to 3v3 as well or can be handicap matches as well. You run around the field smacking your opponents with the weapons you equipped to your LBX (up to 2 at a time). It actually reminds me a lot of the gundam arcade games in how it moves or maybe some of the arena battling games.

You'll be running around the field and beating up opponents is basically the concept. However, to prevent you from spamming in the game, it uses a tension meter that drains with every attack. If you repeatedly attack too much, the meter drains and your LBX temporarily becomes massively weakened dealing pretty much no damage to the enemy and taking more. So the game isn't just about mashing the attack button as much as possible. Maneuvering to get in using Jump and Dash is pretty important to the game as well so of course the game moves very quickly overall

You'll also get special attacks and items to use in battle that you can customize before the fight. Special attacks are initiated by R1 if you have enough Charge Points to use them. You can equip a max of 3 between your two weapons and they come in two varieties, the Special and the Super variety. Specials are lower level and come out instantly while the Supers charge some, require more CP to use and usually deal bigger damage as well. You can also avoid special attacks, though I'm not sure about Supers.

There are also different rules for matches that can occur. One style involves the first side to down your opponent three times wins the other is is side with a robot still standing wins. And within that, there's matches with restrictions on items and the like. There are also battles where the limiter is released on the LBX giving them 3x HP and 2x the attack power. It's all a little confusing until they explain it to you but it certainly keeps it a little interesting. I could describe the match setups that they have in the game but eh, too much space taken.

The 3v3 matches in the game are interesting and a little hectic at times. You control only one of your units and the other two are AI partners. You can change their AI setting mid-battle as need be though. The AI is generally competent enough to handle itself as well which is a relative relief. The game hasn't been super hard though and considering L5, it probably won't get hard either.

Other stuff

I think the thing that's surprised me the most is that it has that kids franchise look to it and they're trying to have a story in it. Right from the get go we have folks smuggling tech out of labs, torn families, conspiracies, and presidential assassinations. That's all in the first 2 or 3 chapters of the game. It's all kind of simple stuff but it manages to be strung together in a rather fun manner and it's actually trying something with its setup. Game feels like it's closer to Inazuma Eleven/Layton L5 than it does WKC L5 (not that it would be hard to be better than WKC L5). I'm actually rather interested in how the story turns out, which is crazy for an L5 game.

That's all for now, I'll update this thread as I get farther into the game. No one else is playing it and there's no official thread so oh well!

Takao

Banned
I don't know any Japanese, so it pains me see how cool this game is since I know it won't be localized on PSP. I know if I'd import I'd just be lost due to the importance of customization (the same goes with Medarot sadly).

I just hope Level-5's bullshots from ages ago just meant they scaled the graphics down in the render for PSP, and have a higher res version set for something else.

Shouta

Everything is duckroll bait.

And so far, customization is nice but it doesn't seem you need it as much. That was one of the things the Famitsu reviewers mentioned a few weeks ago, lots of customization but they felt you didn't really need to and it would've been nice to force a bit.

randomkid

Sounds really cool actually. I've kinda been keeping my eye on this game for I guess years now, but I wasn't aware it had a Persona 3/4-esque structure, neat.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Shouta said:
Game feels like it's closer to Inazuma Eleven/Layton L5 than it does WKC L5 (not that it would be hard to be better than WKC L5). I'm actually rather interested in how the story turns out, which is crazy for an L5 game.
Delightful.

I think the title would be a decent romp to fiddle with but I don't see it absorbing me as much as it could have. Maybe I'm getting too old and picky about my imports.

syoaran

Awesome, thanks for the impressions. Was considering picking this up.

A small part of me is dieing inside with so many good games never seeing a localised port, but that just makes my desire to pick up the language so much greater.

GhaleonQ

I'm all for preplanned franchises that try to elevate their audience rather than diminish them. Great post.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is the story fun and cool like:
ed6da5153ae3163539a34276748f4e320ed31b92.jpg

It looks like Plawres Sanshiro: The Role Playing Game. The combat seems like a simpler Virtual On with all the dashing about. I want it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Game sounds pretty interesting actually... especially in terms of the storyline. I don't really know much about the title so I appreciate the OP... perhaps this will get a digital release or a Vita up-port so there's a chance we might get to play in English?

Takao

Banned
perfectnight said:
This is indeed a lot like Gundam vs games. Do you know if it's on PSN?

Does it have multiplayer?

PSN is still not up in Japan.

I believe it does have a multiplayer mode, but of course, it's local IIRC.

Shouta said:
And so far, customization is nice but it doesn't seem you need it as much. That was one of the things the Famitsu reviewers mentioned a few weeks ago, lots of customization but they felt you didn't really need to and it would've been nice to force a bit.
It's similar to Inazuma Eleven then. You could chose between hundreds of players to build your team, but in the end it didn't make much of a difference.

GhaleonQ

slaughterking said:
It's similar to Inazuma Eleven then. You could chose between hundreds of players to build your team, but in the end it didn't make much of a difference.

Hopefully, like that series, they experiment and make you think things through in later games (whether by puzzle-like 1-solution-only enemies or just good design).

Shouta

perfectnight said:
This is indeed a lot like Gundam vs games. Do you know if it's on PSN?

Does it have multiplayer?

JP PSN isn't up as someone mentioned and yes it does have multiplayer.

djtiesto said:
Game sounds pretty interesting actually... especially in terms of the storyline. I don't really know much about the title so I appreciate the OP... perhaps this will get a digital release or a Vita up-port so there's a chance we might get to play in English?

The storyline isn't anything revolutionary so far but it's amusing and interesting.

Spoilers unless you've seen some of the anime and then you already know what happens!

Chapter 1 deals with Ban, the main character, getting his own LBX. He gets the frame from a mysterious woman running away from a trio of shady characters and she tells him that it's the key to saving the world or destroying it or so. It also deals with Ban getting the armor parts for his LBX, the Achilles set. He has defeat to the school's gangleader for it, which is the video I posted up there. Banchos ahoy!

First chapter also sets up Ban's backstory about his father and why he has such a love of LBXs. It also explains a little bit about why the villains are after Ban's new LBX and why they have to continue battling him in LBX fights instead of simply stealing it or smashing the unit.

Chapter 2 is mainly about Kazu, one of Ban's friends. He gets his own unique LBX frame in this chapter and it's kind of a story about Kazu regaining his confidence. Of course, this involves a presidential assassination that only the kids can stop. It also tells the specific reason why Ban is being targeted and why that organization exists.

It actually surprises me that they progressed the story in such a proper manner. The last L5 game I played was WKC2 and man that was a freaking mess from a story perspective.

Takao said:
PSN is still not up in Japan.

I believe it does have a multiplayer mode, but of course, it's local IIRC.

You can use Ad-hoc party if you want to play it online though, which is somewhat nice.

slaughterking said:

That makes sense. If they added just a little bit more of a puzzle element to it so that you sometimes needed to customization for a certain situation, it'd be a great addition.

GhaleonQ

Ha! This takes place in
the Inazuma 11 universe as a tangential prequel
, says Japanese Wikipedia. There's nothing major up, so don't worry.
SYNERGY

NeoGAF's paranoid about even the tiniest story things, so I covered them just in case. They're miniscule, though.

Takao

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
Ha! This takes place in
the Inazuma 11 universe
, says Japanese Wikipedia. There's nothing major up, so don't worry.
SYNERGY

NeoGAF's paranoid about even the tiniest story things, so I covered them just in case. They're miniscule, though.

I watched a bit of the anime, and some streams of this game, and
I noticed right away that the universe seemed like it was in Inazuma Eleven. There's a bridge side where Mark, and the group often play that looks exactly the same in Danball.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The game seems interesting. I definitely want to check it out, but import prices lately are pretty damn steep.

Shouta

Been slow going with the game the last few days because I've been busy and I haven't had the energy to play as much but I did finish chapter 5 last night.

Some spoilers:

So Ban finds out the location of his father and he plans to raid the place to get him out. Of course, it's super dangerous so Hiyama takes him to a place that can help and Ban learns that there's an organization combating the Innovators called the Seekers. They've recruited Ban and most of his friends to fight the terrorists.

So they raid the place, find out it was partially a setup for Jin to battle Ban again 1 on 1 and it's interrupted when the MiBs come barging into the room. Ban heads to the other room in the place and finds Yoshimitsu there and battles his Gekkomaru which soundly beats Ban, Ami and Kazu. Then a bunch of shit happens, get captured, almost break free because of a coward hiding behind a curtain then they get captured because of a traitor. Yoshimitsu brings in Ban's dad as well. Yoshi says he's won because he has the Platinum Capsule but ol Prof Yamano says "Nuh uh" and goes on about his back-up plan just in case things went south. Then Prof Yamano blows up the place with explosions he's rigged up and everyone escapes though Ban isn't reunited with his father, end of chapter 4.

For 5 chapters into the game, they seriously had a lot of stuff going on already. It's really refreshing to have the story move this quickly and not be super hung up on silly things. Apparently there are a bunch more chapters so I'm looking forward to what kind of crazy shit they bring up next. I mean, it's not the most incredibly thing ever but I'm having a lot of fun with the story.

GhaleonQ

Shouta said:
For 4 chapters into the game, they seriously had a lot of stuff going on already. It's really refreshing to have the story move this quickly and not be super hung up on silly things. Apparently there are a bunch more chapters so I'm looking forward to what kind of crazy shit they bring up next. I mean, it's not the most incredibly thing ever but I'm having a lot of fun with the story.

So, what I'm reading is that the content itself is simple, but there are a lot of moving pieces coming together in a satisfying way?

Shouta

More or less, yeah. Lots of simple pieces are coming together fairly well and it's rather enjoyable. A little bit of it here and there is cliche but it works well with the story because of its importance to the flow of events. Chapter 4 is a pretty decent example of this.

Edit: My bad, I'm off on my chapters, I think. I just finished chapter 5.

squall23

I'm kind of going slowly with the game. It's not that I don't enjoy these types of games (Custom Robo is awesome), it's just the battle system of this particular game is a little slow for me even though I went in with that expectation.

And the story is too similar to Inazuma Eleven's for my liking. Damn you Hino and your rehashed storylines. It's going to be the same thing for Gundam AGE too.

Shouta

I'm in the process of moving so I haven't had a chance to finish it yet but the later parts of the game get a little hard because the enemies are stronger and can knock you out easily.

Top Bottom