• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Corpse remained undetected in public pool for days

Status
Not open for further replies.
(CNN) -- Authorities say the body of a woman who died in a Massachusetts public pool went undetected for days as swimmers continued to use the pool before the victim was found floating.

The body of Marie Joseph, 36, was discovered by teenagers Tuesday evening in the Vietnam Veterans Swimming Pool in Fall River, Massachusetts, according to Bristol County district attorney's spokesman Gregg Miliote.

Joseph had gone to the pool on Sunday with a 9-year-old neighbor and his family. She collided with the boy while the pair careened down a pool slide, Miliote said.

After the collision, the boy surfaced but the woman did not, he said.

It was not clear Thursday what happened after the collision or whether the boy and his family sought Joseph's whereabouts when they left the pool.

Authorities continued to investigate the cause of death Thursday.

The pool -- which is 12 feet deep at its deepest --- was described as "cloudy" by a health inspector who examined the pool Tuesday, according to the mayor of Fall River, William Flanagan.

A decomposing body can take a couple of days before it becomes buoyant, Miliote added.

"It is in many respects disturbing and unreal," said Massachusetts Conservation and recreation Commissioner Ed Lambert.

The lifeguards and managers of the swimming pool, along with the three health inspectors involved, have been placed on administrative leave, authorities said.

Twenty-four state pools have also been closed pending further investigation, according to Lambert.

Authorities say the swimmers who used the pool during the two days are not considered to be at risk for health problems.

Meanwhile, a host of Massachusetts state and municipal agencies are conducting independent investigations over the incident.

Gross. Dirty pool indeed.

Dresden

"Mom, what's that smell? And why is it so murky?"

"Oh, someone probably just pissed in the water. Let's go."

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
nT9Nt.png

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Gaborn why do you keep on making these thre....

That nine year old sounds like a douche bag. He's probably the son of the devil.

I'm assuming the pool is always pretty dirty if they missed someone on the bottom of the pool. Of course I'm also assuming that the people she went to the pool with actually tried looking for her.

xbhaskarx

The pool -- which is 12 feet deep at its deepest --- was described as "cloudy" by a health inspector who examined the pool Tuesday

lol

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Six hours he's riding the subway before anybody notices his corpse doing laps around L.A., people on and off sitting next to him. Nobody notices.

Chamber said:
Six hours he's riding the subway before anybody notices his corpse doing laps around L.A., people on and off sitting next to him. Nobody notices.
Without a link to the story you're (presumably) referencing, you sound like a crazy person.

EGM92

Fuck I'm tired... but am I the only one who read corpse reanimated undetected in public pool for days? lol Doesn't help that I just finished reading Walking Dead #85/86

ElRenoRaven

I just can't fathom how you can't see a dead body in a pool. I really can't. That water has to be beyond cloudy not to see a dead damn body. Also once dead would the body not relax and release waste? Surely you'd notice some of that in the pool.

PsychoRaven said:
I just can't fathom how you can't see a dead body in a pool. I really can't. That water has to be beyond cloudy not to see a dead damn body. Also once dead would the body not relax and release waste? Surely you'd notice some of that in the pool.

They cant see a dead body in the pool, it shouldnt be too surprising if a turd floated by unnoticed...

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
PsychoRaven said:
HpK8E.jpg

"It's no big deal"

RoboPlato said:
As a lifeguard and someone that takes care of a pool daily I have no idea how this could even happen.

Came here to post this.

The amount of sunscreen that goes into our pool on hot days definitely makes it cloudy (and disgusting) but that's far from an excuse. How this happened is unfathomable to me.

woolley

Why would anyone go swimming in a dirty ass pool? If it's so dirty that you can't see the bottom of the pool then you should probably go somewhere else.

ATF487

woolley said:
Why would anyone go swimming in a dirty ass pool? If it's so dirty that you can't see the bottom of the pool then you should probably go somewhere else.

It's Fall River

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I don't know why they don't have people guarding pools. Put a few cameras down there. And maybe sensors for if anything stays there for too long.

Just watched the video, and it's easy to visualize some kid zipping down that tube slide onto a dead body. Ugh. Cloudy water indeed.

scar tissue said:
*shudders*
glad i've not been to the pool for years
ocean/lake/river>pool

Yes because you are much more likely to encounter a dead body in a public pool than in an ocean, lake or river

apparently the woman didn't know how to swim either. so im not sure why she was going down a slide at a public pool to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom