• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancelled Mortal Kombat HD Arcade Kollection Screenshots/Mockups

First off, forgive me if the pics get taken down after I post this.

Saw this over at TRMK, One of the artists working on the cancelled MK HD Arcade Kollection (which has now become the MK Arcade Kollection-- sans HD) posted some of screens/mockups of the HD Arcade Kollection including high res background art, new UI elements, and recaptured digital actors.

Some of the screens look a little rough/unfinished but thats expected considered its an unfinished project.

Link: http://jwmontenegro.blogspot.com/2011/06/mortal-kombat-arcade-kollection-ui-work.html

Artist said:
Mortal Kombat: Arcade Kollection was announced weeks ago which finally stirred me to put these up. Oh and also the fact that I played Mortal Kombat (9) over the weekend. Can we say 4player grind-house fight splatter?

In anycase, these are UI screens and elements I got to create while working with Other Ocean Interactive in association with NetherRealm Studios and WB. They are a great loss for me in the sense that none of the following screens (save for the Friendly Kombat screen) will be seen in the actual DLC game itself. The scope of our project was changed and thus the demand and need for the UI did as well. Regardless I am very proud of these and feel like the crucible of what I've learned, and what makes me the UI Artist I am today, is from the experience of working on this game and its UI.

Some of it was upres work but I did get to redesign new screens and some brand spanking new UI elements based off the feedback of NetherRealm,WB and some initial style mockups sent in pre-production.

Character_Bio_mk2_final.png

EndScreen2_mk1.png

Mk2Hud.png

Test_Your_Might.png

Ranked_Kombat_Screen.png

Heres one final pic for good measure, seems like it could be some sort of XMB art for the PS3 version:

XMB_Mockup.png

edit: oh and heres the MK Treasures screen that I missed
Treasure_Screen.png

tim1138 said:
Yeah that Lui Kang fatality looks pretty bad.

The Dragon? I think it looks rad. The Jax sprite looks bad, but thats obviously because they were using old art there. My assumption would be that the actually fighter sprites would be HD like the Kano "Test Your Might" screen. Only thing that I don't like is the changed fonts and the background hues from the original game.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Test_Your_Might.png

this looks absolutely terrible. They could at least not stretch the awful character video.

Sucks that it was cancelled.

When are we going to get a Trilogy re-release? Goddamn.
I have UMK3 on 360, I have MK2 on PSN. I don't give a crap about MK1 aside from nostalgia.

Seems like Trilogy will never happen. :(

Card Boy

Banned
Apprently the Kollection (the normal one) is coming to PC aswell. Hopefully it makes it to Steam, I dont want to put another dollar into the PSN.

Salsa

Gez said:
Apprently the Kollection (the normal one) is coming to PC aswell. Hopefully it makes it to Steam, I dont want to put another dollar into the PSN.

i think i read that was the plan

Slime

Banned
Looks super cheeseball. At least the low quality images in the original added a degree of abstraction that made it more palatable. This just looks like a goofy Photoshop experiment. I can't imagine actually playing it and taking it seriously.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
It looks like this was cancelled for a good reason. The lo-fi captures of the 2D games just look silly when recreated in high resolution. This looks more like Way of the Warrior (which isn't a good thing). As a designer myself I can't agree with the claims that the UI screens are anything to write home about, though I don't doubt the earnest intent of the people involved.

Edit: oh, hey, the designer is from Charlottetown! The thought of someone working in PEI on a Mortal Kombat game warms my heart.

Big One

Banned
Oh god this could've been amazing. Authentic recreation of the arcade games with similar level of graphical detail? Sign me up. Especially if the fighters can crossover between games.

I was always really sketchy of this collection when they first announced it. I'd love an HD MK, but it just can't exist. It's like HD 80's TV shows... won't happen.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Wasn't this announced recently? I wonder why it got canned so quickly.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
ULTROS! said:
They never officially announced it. WB abandoned this in favor of a collection of the standard arcade games.

ULTROS! said:

The version currently announced is just the arcade versions ported to home consoles. This was a remake of MK, MK2 and UMK3. They went out and hired new actors so that it would display properly in HD.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Honestly, it looks pretty close to how I'd imagined it would look. It's campy as hell but if you think about it, it makes sense why it would be.

Shame it was cancelled. There's absolutely no chance I'd buy the regular kollection but there is a good chance I would have bought this to try it out because it is at least something new.

Shaneus said:
Those (at least, the first two) are from the Genesis/MD version by the looks of the font.

They are all from the arcade games.

Shaneus

Slamtastic said:
mk2_kitana_profile.gif

Raidend1.gif

mk20456.png

9d1Gz.gif

For comparison.
Those (at least, the first two) are from the Genesis/MD version by the looks of the font.

Chalk up one for me being disappointed... in the very least, being able to switch b/w original and HD would've been nice. Looked like it could've been a bit of fun :(

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
corkscrewblow said:
Have you seen the OP?

Yes but I was slightly confused. At least the others cleared it up for me.

Shaneus

Baron Aloha said:
They are all from the arcade games.
Oh shit, there you go! I only know that font from the home Sega versions. Very strange that they used that... I don't think it was in the first MK arcade.

Edit: Oh, it was. Such a dumbass ahaha

I would've paid good money for this kollection. :/
It looks fine, and I am sure the purists can have the option of using the original sprites too.

Top Bottom