• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orcs Must Die finally coming for XBLA!

Raide

Orcs Must Die XBLA

Finally they have announced it for XBLA! Cannot wait to see more of it.

Robot Entertainment announced today that Orcs Must Die!™ will be available on Xbox LIVE Arcade and PCs later this summer. The game will be playable at the upcoming 2011 San Diego Comic-Con which runs from July 21st to 24th. Robot Entertainment also announced that it has chosen Microsoft Studios to publish and distribute the game. Said Patrick Hudson, CEO of Robot Entertainment, “Players on both Xbox LIVE Arcade and PCs will get their chance to massacre orcs by the thousands soon. We’re excited that Microsoft shares our orc bloodlust and will publish the game.”

TheOddOne

Awkward, Ex-Emsemble devs making game for Microsoft Studios.

Good though, really suprised with this pick up and the Shogun one.

wwm0nkey

Great game, got some hands on time with it at E3. Will buy it even without co-op, but if there is a second one, there better be online lol

Ceebs

Guessing Microsoft has budged some with the PC versions of indie games they are publishing for XBLA. Both this and Skulls of the Shogun are keeping their PC versions after signing with Microsoft.

Atomski

TheOddOne said:
Awkward, Ex-Emsemble devs making game for Microsoft Studios.

Good though, really suprised with this pick up and the Shogun one.

They made Age of Empires Online for MS studios as well.. I don't see how its awkward when they have been working with them all along.

Rad-

Atomski said:
They made Age of Empires Online for MS studios as well.. I don't see how its awkward when they have been working with them all along.

Yep, supported Halo Wars as well for a while.

TheOddOne

Atomski said:
Didn't that game move to another developer?

wwm0nkey

TheOddOne said:
Moved to Gaspowered games. Robot did pretty much all of the work though.

Robot is just ensemble under a new name to be honest with you XD

wwm0nkey said:
Moved to Gaspowered games. Robot did pretty much all of the work though.

Robot is just ensemble under a new name to be honest with you XD
Part of them. Bonfire/Newtoy which is now Zynga Dallas is the other parts.

Seventy5

Well fuck, wasn't this supposed to be coming to PSN also? I know I read that a couple months ago and was super pumped for this, it looks great. I guess they don't get my money. This sucks.

Atomski

TheOddOne said:
Yep, when the game was almost complete. Seems like to me they just finished the game up and got a new developer to continue supporting it. Its free to play so I am sure the new dudes are just making content to sell.

wwm0nkey is pretty much right, it seems like Esemble under a new name and a few people missing. There must be something business wise that makes it financially better to just shut a studio down and form a new one rather than attempt to keep a old one alive. I'd be interested to see why.

badgenome

Seventy5 said:
Well fuck, wasn't this supposed to be coming to PSN also? I know I read that a couple months ago and was super pumped for this, it looks great. I guess they don't get my money. This sucks.

Yeah. It was featured in the last issue of PTOM, in fact.

Seventy5

badgenome said:
Yeah. It was featured in the last issue of PTOM, in fact.
Yep, I just remembered seeing it there, and Joystiq had PSN/PS3 tags listed in all it's coverage. I was buying this day 1 for sure...til today.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
S1kkZ said:
xbla is just insane this year.
Is it? Huh. I don't think I've bought anything from XBLA this year.

Rad-

thetrin said:

Second half includes games like Fez, ITSP, Spelunky HD, Retro City Rampage etc. Looking to be pretty much the best XBLA year so far.

TEJ

darkpaladinmfc said:
Both games were out first on more suitable platforms.

but they are still good-great on the xbla. Torchlight was a fantastic port, it works very well with the 360 controller.

alphaNoid

Banned
Rad- said:
Second half includes games like Fez, ITSP, Spelunky HD, Retro City Rampage etc. Looking to be pretty much the best XBLA year so far.
Add Bastion, Toy Soldiers Cold War, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, From Dust, Orks Must Die!, Crimson Alliance .. on and on

TEJ said:
not even half minute hero or torchlight?

I've quite enjoyed stuff like Ilomilo, Stacking, Beyond Good & Evil HD, The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile, Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes HD, Outland and more recently Ms. Splosion Man this year too. I'll likely get Trenched as well when it's available here.

The rest of the year looks insanely good though.

2th

Banned
Hell yes! I got to play this several times at E3 and was totally addicted. I cannot wait for this.

TEJ

GarthVaderUK said:
I've quite enjoyed stuff like Ilomilo, Stacking, Beyond Good & Evil HD, The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile, Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes HD, Outland and more recently Ms. Splosion Man this year too. I'll likely get Trenched as well when it's available here.

The rest of the year looks insanely good though.

those are all good choices. but with guardian heroes, radiant silvergun, and re4 the best has yet to come.

How is Mrs Splosion man anyway?

Robot Entertainment, the independent developer comprised of former Ensemble Studios team members, has finally revealed the specific platforms for its upcoming (and first) title.

Orcs Must Die, which blends tower defense with a third-person shooter, will be published on the Xbox Live Arcade and on PC by Microsoft Studios. A sell-sheet for the game given to Shacknews during a demo earlier today revealed the game will be released on PC via Steam.

Orcs Must Die!
During a demo today, a Robot Entertainment representative said revealed that the game is "essentially done." Now, the studio awaits certification for Microsoft's Xbox Live Arcade release. It's unclear if the game will be made available on any other PC digital distribution platforms.

Orcs Must Die is the first game from Robot Entertainment since it was established following the closure of Ensemble Studios. The studio had previously been working with Microsoft on Age of Empires Online, before handing development duties off to Gas Powered Games.

Orcs Must Die is a single-player title, featuring over 20 maps where players must use weapons, traps, and the environment to stop a horde of creatures from reaching (and thus destroying) an open rift in the world.

No specific release was revealed; however, it sounds like the game will arrive on the tail end of the summer season (between August and September). The PC and XBLA release will be simultaneous, Robot confirmed to Shacknews.

Those adventuring to Comic-Con will have a chance to play the game (at the Xbox Lounge in the Hard Rock Hotel on July 23-24) as well as get their hands on a prequel comic that outlines the game's story. Those lucky enough to play the game during the event will receive a "Limited print edition" of the comic for free, while a free, digital version will be released later this summer.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/69327/orcs-must-die-launching-on-steam-xbla

It's interested that this is a MGS published title that only has Steam as the only confirmed DD so far.

element

Orcs Must Die was one of the best games I played at PAX East in March. It was super fun. I can't wait and SixOkay is a cool guy.

Shurs

mujun said:
I'm not getting Uncharted 3 = it sucks?

We get it, you don't like the Xbox.

thetrin's not a fanboy.

For me it's been a good, but not great, year for XBLA thus far. The second half looks to be much better than the first.

In the near future, I am looking forward to Bastion and From Dust, though I'm thinking I might want to play From Dust on PC if it's not pushed too far back.

mujun

Shurs said:
thetrin's not a fanboy.

For me it's been a good, but not great, year for XBLA thus far. The second half looks to be much better than the first.

In the near future, I am looking forward to Bastion and From Dust, though I'm thinking I might want to play From Dust on PC if it's not pushed too far back.

Who cares if he's a fanboy. His comment came of as trolling and didn't exhibit much thought.

EagleEyes

thetrin said:
I guess your in the wrong hobby then. There have been some great games released so far and plenty more to come.

Shurs

mujun said:
Who cares if he's a fanboy. His comment came of as trolling and didn't exhibit much thought.

There's no need to act like he insulted you personally just because he doesn't like the XBLA lineup this year.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ceebs said:
Guessing Microsoft has budged some with the PC versions of indie games they are publishing for XBLA. Both this and Skulls of the Shogun are keeping their PC versions after signing with Microsoft.

From what I understand Microsoft doesn't mind PC versions of XBLA games since, technically speaking, they are still coming out on a Microsoft platform (Windows), tough those versions tend to get delayed due to the XBLA exclusivity window.

alphaNoid

Banned
Shard said:
From what I understand Microsoft doesn't mind PC versions of XBLA games since, technically speaking, they are still coming out on a Microsoft platform (Windows), tough those versions tend to get delayed due to the XBLA exclusivity window.
Do you know, does MS get any kind of Royal for ANY game released on the Windows platform?

mujun

Shurs said:
There's no need to act like he insulted you personally just because he doesn't like the XBLA lineup this year.

I said his comment came across as trolling. Fair enough if you don't think that is the case. Why don't you give me a reason why rather than trying to make it look like my problem.

Top Bottom