• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A half an hour spent in Skyrim

Bethesda, the folks behind Fallout plus various other titles, came to NYC earlier today. And they brought with them a work in progress build of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, which I got an up close look at.

For starters, I am woefully unfamiliar with the Elder Scrolls games, and therefore was not a part of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. All my diehard role-playing fans certainly ate it up, whereas I passed (though mostly because it was also an early 360 title, and I was somewhat of a late adopter).

One main reason, despite dabbling with JRPGs, is the whole notion of doing whatever the hell you want, and it having an affect on everything. Which sounds great on paper, but seems daunting. And other similar games just seemed, from afar, really cumbersome and clunky. Sorry, but I liked the handholding that offerings from Square and similar parties provided. That was, until they tried widening the scope and scale of their title, to compete with Western offerings, yet still kept things ultra rigid. All of a sudden, that focused path became quite cumbersome, as well as boring.

Meanwhile, Skyrim appears to offer the entire world on a plate, one that’s easy to digest and not headache inducing. Though before going into all that, the first thing that stands out is the graphics. Dear God, they are GORGEOUS. Every single element in the game is there to be examined, up close. Gone are the days of mountains that are just window dressing; you see it? You can go to it. And I realize that such things have been in gaming for a long time, but never has everything looked legit beautiful, as well as fully realized.

Speaking of looks, I guess another reason why I never touched Elder Scrolls beforehand was the perspective, so thank God for the new third person camera. The Bethesda rep explained that this was mostly to make European gamers happy! Certainly helps me out, given my issues with motion sickness as it pertains to first person views (it’s an Asian thing… hence why I wouldn’t be surprised if Elder Scrolls all of a sudden gets a few extra plays in Japan or Korea). Though no matter what view you chose, when a particularly epic kill takes place, the camera will pull back to show all the gory details. Something that I was told was borrowed from Fallout 3′s VATS system.

Though what I was truly afraid of before has either completely done away, or was never an issue to begin with: the interface is super simple and approachable. Basically, each hand does different things, and they’re tied to the trigger buttons. If your right hand has a sword, RT will swing it, and if your left hand has a shield, LT with raise it. Your magical abilities also stem from the palms of your hands, and if you know multiple spells (and you will), one can go double fisted. In fact, if both hands have the same spell equipped, it can have double the effect or damage!

Oh also, one can assign “favorites” to the d-pad. Everything from weapons, to items, even specific spells. And we’re not talking just a limit of four, for each direction, but basically as much as you want. It’s hard to explain without visuals. But let’s just say that the interface is super easy to understand… and very Apple like, in how one access folders and items nested within on the Mac. Again, it’s tricky to explain.

Things are far less locked in as well; as has been always the case, everything is governed by a particular class or character type one adopts, which affects your proficiency in things, as well as the kinds of abilities adopted. But one can make a change if one realizes that they enjoy this more than that which was chosen, via birthstones that are found throughout the game. Another thing that has bugged me about games in which you can do anything is how you’re actually punished for choices made way early on, so problem solved. There’s 18 different skills to chose from, which can be leveled up to various degrees. Each new ability that comes as a result is called a “perk”, though I wasn’t able to find out if they get lost when one changes their skill.

I only got half an hour with the game, but it was quite the jam packed thirty minutes. Walked around a very serene countryside, then made my way through a village, populated with all manner of folks, even animals. I asked if one could have a pet in the game, and was only told that Dogmeat was pretty popular in Fallout, so… Anyway, I eventually ended up in some cave, up in mountain that I had previously seen in the distance. As foes were taken down by bow and arrow from afar, I noticed time had slowed down… one of the aforementioned perks I spoke of.

Though in addition to magic is a totally separate set of mystical energies call dragon shouts. It’s connected to your character’s back-story; apparently have dragon’s blood in your family, or something like that. Anyhow, unlike regular magic and everything else, the only way to enhance and grow those abilities, you have to capture dragon souls, and that’s only achieved by taking them down. They reside all throughout the lands, and you’ll have all sorts of encounters, some pre-scripted, some completely random. Easily the best part of the demo was, while trying to take down a giant, one was out of the blue swept away by a dragon wanting its lunch!

So yeah, color me extremely impressed. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is due later this year, with an easy to remember street date: 11/11/11.

http://guyism.com/lifestyle/a-half-an-hour-spent-in-skyrim.html

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I think I am going to wait for the game of the year edition with all the DLC. Bethesda has a horrible track record with the performance of their games on day 1.

godhandiscen said:
I think I am going to wait for the game of the year edition with all the DLC. Bethesda has a horrible track record with the performance of their games on day 1.

I think some will hold out for the possible Wii U version with all the DLC.

InertiaXr

godhandiscen said:

Hopefully that is negated somewhat, as this is some new engine, not Gamebyro which was what Oblivion/Fallout 3/New Vegas all used and that engine sucks. It won't be perfect at launch though, as you said, still Bethesda.

soqquatto

a completely useless writeup. he doesn't know about previous games so he doesn't know what to look for. and third person, hooray! we had it in oblivion and fallout as well even if it was unplayable. but the graphics are pretty. whoop-de-fucking-doo. we already knew that.

gblues

Banned
Would it really have killed them to bring in someone who's at least played Oblivion (if not older TES titles) for the test drive? I mean, it's great that Skyrim is purdy enough to charm the pants off someone with no prior TES experience, but I'm more interested in how it compares to Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion.

KAP151

Buggy or not, this is an absolute day 1 for me. I put up with Morrowind and Oblivion, I sure as hell can put up with this beauty.

This and SR3 is all I need for the rest of the year.

soqquatto

InertiaXr said:
Hopefully that is negated somewhat, as this is some new engine, not Gamebyro which was what Oblivion/Fallout 3/New Vegas all used and that engine sucks. It won't be perfect at launch though, as you said, still Bethesda.

on a very well known engine they managed to sneak in cartload bugs at every launch. on a brand new engine, on the other hand, you expect them to do better. I'm not sure it was an engine problem buth rather a performance problem on the team's part. we can suppose they're too focused on content to be bothered with form and stability. but I guess it's useless to worry now, we can just wait and see.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE ELDER SCROLLS SERIES OR CRPGS, SO WITH THAT IN MIND HERE ARE SOME PARAGRAPHS PASTED FROM THE PR MATERIALS...ANYWAY, I WALKED AROUND FOR A HALF HOUR AND SAW SOME DIFFERENT SCENERY. SKYRIM COMES OUT ON 11/11/11 LOL THAT'S CLEVER!

Forkball

EviLore said:
I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE ELDER SCROLLS SERIES OR CRPGS, SO WITH THAT IN MIND HERE ARE SOME PARAGRAPHS PASTED FROM THE PR MATERIALS...ANYWAY, I WALKED AROUND FOR A HALF HOUR AND SAW SOME DIFFERENT SCENERY. SKYRIM COMES OUT ON 11/11/11 LOL THAT'S CLEVER!
Video review

Sethos

Banned
Pointless.

Sums it up.

Micerider

gblues said:
Would it really have killed them to bring in someone who's at least played Oblivion (if not older TES titles) for the test drive? I mean, it's great that Skyrim is purdy enough to charm the pants off someone with no prior TES experience, but I'm more interested in how it compares to Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion.

Well, they have probably invited a sh*tload of journalists, TES players or not. This one happens to be one of the later, and that is still a very interesting viewpoint too as we get away without much comparisons and at least, this might better describe how someone stranger to the series might react when getting into the game. We would certainly see other similar previews blossoming all over the web, written by TES proofed writers. :)

Xian

Neo Member
InertiaXr said:

On the other hand it might have even more bugs, being an all new engine.

Not that it would make any difference. It's a day one buy whatever the amount of bugs.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Xian said:
On the other hand it might have even more bugs, being an all new engine

It's not an all-new engine. Just another iteration of their gamebryo engine, renamed for PR purposes.

Does shit like this really excite anyway? Aside from the grammar errors and the author being shit from explaining things, this is pretty much just regurgitating cliches we've heard for years and years about a ton of games. I mean, the author even admits that the stupid "You see it, you can go there" thing is nothing new. So why include it?

Author also seems totally ignorant of the series. "New" third-person camera? OK...

Nix

Banned
I don't really care about what this guy said, but the incoming torrent of news on Skyrim...Goddamn, it's making me want to buy the game! I said I wouldn't since I'm over budget this year but..but! I said Goddamn, double fireballs!! Third person! Why don't they stop torturing me.

ampere

herzogzwei1989 said:
Mine is too. I'll be double-dipping on Xbox 360 and PC versions.
Wait for a price drop and mods to be made for PC :p

I'll probably end up being too busy around 11/11/11, but I'm very excited and will get it eventually.

Orayn

dr3upmushroom said:
Author also seems totally ignorant of the series. "New" third-person camera? OK...
It is new, in that it's actually functional this time around. Morrowind and Oblivion both took away your crosshair and kept the camera centered somewhere around your character's neck. Apparently this one retains crosshair and has been moved around a bit so you can see what you're doing and not have to eyeball it.

Wallach

Man. Skyrim is one of my most anticipated games, but this article is fucking unbelievably bad.

The part where he just says "oh, well I'd tell you about this favorites thing but it's too hard to explain."

Who writes something like that in an article? This guy has been published in EGM? Really? Was it through the Make a Wish Foundation?

soqquatto

Micerider said:
Well, they have probably invited a sh*tload of journalists, TES players or not. This one happens to be one of the later, and that is still a very interesting viewpoint too as we get away without much comparisons and at least, this might better describe how someone stranger to the series might react when getting into the game. We would certainly see other similar previews blossoming all over the web, written by TES proofed writers. :)

you have a very strange notion of interesting. this guy is an inept: the only bit we get from him is that it looks like a big world and that the vistas are pretty and these are both things that we ALL know. we also have screens and videos so 'good looking' is not an useful information. game mechanics are also known or am I wrong? here's what happened: "hey, next week you'll have half an hour with skyrim, are you in?" and he should have prepared himself, reading about and at least trying oblivion. obviously he did neither. so, what kind of job is he doing exactly? the clueless tourist on press tours? this thread shouldn't even exist.

I feel like the hype for this game has leveled out a bit. People are beginning to realize that this may very well end up being a shinier Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (for better or for worse).

zon

24FrameDaVinci said:
I feel like the hype for this game has leveled out a bit. People are beginning to realize that this may very well end up being a shinier Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (for better or for worse).

How can a shit article like that generate any hype?

Sophia

24FrameDaVinci said:

I don't think so. You've got the usual shitters, but the actual footage itself is giving more of a Morrowind vibe.

Orayn said:
It is new, in that it's actually functional this time around. Morrowind and Oblivion both took away your crosshair and kept the camera centered somewhere around your character's neck. Apparently this one retains crosshair and has been moved around a bit so you can see what you're doing and not have to eyeball it.
I'd say that's "improved," not "new." New implies that the previous games didn't have third person at all.

It's a small nit-pick, but then so are the many grammatical errors. It's just one more small mistake that leaves the whole article reading like something out of a high school newspaper.

Speevy

Banned
I spent half an hour in Skyrim and already I can tell it is groundbreaking and transcends genres to create innovative immersion.

Meanwhile, Skyrim appears to offer the entire world on a plate, one that’s easy to digest and not headache inducing. Though before going into all that, the first thing that stands out is the graphics. Dear God, they are GORGEOUS. Every single element in the game is there to be examined, up close. Gone are the days of mountains that are just window dressing; you see it? You can go to it. And I realize that such things have been in gaming for a long time, but never has everything looked legit beautiful, as well as fully realized.

Sounds like my reaction to Oblivion. I'm hoping Skyrim will blow me away just the same.

Forkball

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Is it just me or does Skyrim look pretty mediocre, graphically?
VbHBc.jpg

Micerider

soqquatto said:
you have a very strange notion of interesting. this guy is an inept: the only bit we get from him is that it looks like a big world and that the vistas are pretty and these are both things that we ALL know. we also have screens and videos so 'good looking' is not an useful information. game mechanics are also known or am I wrong? here's what happened: "hey, next week you'll have half an hour with skyrim, are you in?" and he should have prepared himself, reading about and at least trying oblivion. obviously he did neither. so, what kind of job is he doing exactly? the clueless tourist on press tours? this thread shouldn't even exist.

When I mean interesting, is that it brings light on what an un-experienced TES player might be struk by when putting it's hands for the first time on this game (wooaaww, big, good looking open-game).

No I have to agree with the fact that his description of the game is void of any new information or valuable data for me and most players.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Forkball said:
Awful texturing.
Low poly.
Clipping.
Flat lighting.

Not the best screenshot to showcase its graphical prowess I'd say. Hopefully it looks nothing like that on my pc, and best part are the vistas and open world anyway,.

ajf009

Dash Kappei said:
Awful texturing.
Low poly.
Clipping.
Flat lighting.

Not the best screenshot to showcase its graphical prowess I'd say. Hopefully it looks nothing like that on my pc, and best part are the vistas and open world anyway,.

Really? nothing will ever look perfect

soqquatto

Speevy said:
I spent half an hour in Skyrim and already I can tell it is groundbreaking and transcends genres to create innovative immersion.

a wild sarcasm appears!

I'm not even interested in Skyrim. I've completed Oblivion years ago and I feel no interest in coming back to that stuff right now, but I used to write about videogames and I used to do it well and with a passion. this write-up is probably suited to its outlet (a 'guy' site?) but it's a waste of time all the same.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
soqquatto said:
a completely useless writeup. he doesn't know about previous games so he doesn't know what to look for. and third person, hooray! we had it in oblivion and fallout as well even if it was unplayable. but the graphics are pretty. whoop-de-fucking-doo. we already knew that.

It is a pretty terrible article. The prospect of pets is exciting though.

daviyoung

Banned
Oh also, one can assign “favorites” to the d-pad. Everything from weapons, to items, even specific spells. And we’re not talking just a limit of four, for each direction, but basically as much as you want. It’s hard to explain without visuals. But let’s just say that the interface is super easy to understand… and very Apple like, in how one access folders and items nested within on the Mac. Again, it’s tricky to explain.

I get it.

The_Monk

If this gets a Collector's or Limited Edtion I don't know what to do...

I can´t believe this will come so close to Dark Souls, BF3, Assasins Revelations and Uncharted 3... It's just unfair, really... I have been a good guy to my wallet, but come oooon...

Top Bottom