• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Australian games company invents technology 100,000 times better

Gowans

Hi everyone. We've been working very hard and we hope you like what we've made. This is just our 1 year report, after which we will probably go quiet again while we finish our work. This demo only shows what was ready at the time, we have a lot of really good stuff here but we are keeping it secret for now. (Yes grumpy forum people, we do have animation, but you'll just have to be patient.)

It's been a busy year, and all is going very well; we only have 9 people working here, but will be hiring a few more soon. We also have another piece of technology that isn't graphics, but does something game related that's also pretty clever, but we'll keep that secret for now.

We get a lot of fan mail from Germany and Brazil so I thought I'd put a link to the transcript of the video underneath just in case my accent is hard to understand.

I'd like to thank you all for your emails and kind support.

Kindest Regards, Bruce Robert Dell -- CEO Euclideon.

http://www.euclideon.com
info@euclideon.com

Transcript: http://www.euclideon.com/transcripts.html

Mithos said:
Unlimited Detail (July 31st, 2011)
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKUuUvDSXk4

Credit to Mithos in the AMD: Next Xbox Graphics Will Look Like AVATAR thread

Sethos

Banned
I'm still baffled how they made it work - Lots of explaining on what it does but it's still rendering these atoms and lots of them, how are modern processors handling that, what's their secret? Intriguing nonetheless.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
I'd like to see how lighting is going to work with the point cloud data. Apparently they talk a bit about it at the end of the episode, still doesn't seem like they have any realtime lighting.

Ashsturm

I wonder if there's anything stopping them pumping in data from a 3D scanner

Edit: Yep, should've finished watching first

glaurung

The polygon converter sounds like something that could shake the pillars of the 3D industry.

But I do think there is some kind of a tradeoff in there somewhere. Still, new graphics technologies are always fascinating, even if they do not pan out, they might still spark another approach.

A real time demo would be interesting.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Interesting but first thought is...what are the memory requirements for an environment that isn't a repetition of a relatively small set of assets?

Prez

It's the same as any other realtime demo. They can make it look better because they don't use lighting, physics, AI and FX.

sohois

I think there's been a thread on this before, in which most of the graphics guys on GAF rubbished the claims made by the video.

Can't remember what the thread was called though.

edit: though i suppose if this is their 1 year report they could have made some big new advancements from the last time

undu

Don't see any kind of physics applied to these "atms". Does anyone know anything about that?

They should get some real artists doing some demos. This looks like early 90s developer art.

I dont see:
- complex shading effects
- animation

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
animating millions of atoms, lighting over them, collision detection, texturing process. Theres a reason polygons work well for games.

Also could they find a snottier sounding narrator.

PaulLFC

maniac-kun said:
They should get some real artists doing some demos. This looks like early 90s developer art.

I dont see:
- complex shading effects
- animation

So you didn't watch the video where they continuously say "we're a technology company, not a games company, we want to see what a REAL games company can do with this"? And you also didn't read this quote from the OP: " (Yes grumpy forum people, we do have animation, but you'll just have to be patient.)"?

If this actually gets implemented, it could be amazing.

daviyoung

Banned
redjeep.jpg

Is this a joke?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
this is old as shit

gets posted every eight months or so like it's new

I guess the company keeps re-uploading it under different accounts so that it seems new.

Here's a version from February of 2010.

The prevailing theory seems to be that it's a hoax with nothing behind it. Google "unlimited detail" and note the search suggestion.

-Winnie-

Sounds like this could be an enormous breakthrough, I'm surprised there hasn't been more fanfare. If it really works like they say it does, game companies really need to start investing in this tech!

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So what if our reality is a video game, that was created by a civilization that's also a video game created by a video game?

Like, whoa.

Also, this is bullshit.

Foffy

Banned
Remember dudes, they're just doing technology, not games. They don't have any game artists to showcase their works with that "wow" punch like other engine demos.

But if this gets adapted into a game, it'd be cool. Some simulation-like games such as the ArmA games could clearly benefit from this. No more awkward bush textures for cover!

Cptkrush

Htown said:
this is old as shit

I guess the company keeps re-uploading it under different accounts so that it seems new.

The prevailing theory seems to be that it's a hoax with nothing behind it. Google "unlimited detail" and note the search suggestion.
I don't think you watched it, he clearly says that they did this a year ago and then disappeared and that this is where they are now, or what they're able to show.

Ydahs

Htown said:
this is old as shit

angular graphics said:
This is a different video. A followup to the one you both linked.

As they've mentioned several times in that video, there's still a long way to go. But the improvement from the old video and the new video shows great progression. Two key points which haven't been illustrated though are animation and collision. If that gets nailed, exciting times await us.

Top Bottom