• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'PS3.5' , 'XBOX 360 Plus' would you upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onQ123

say if next year 2012 Sony & MS fazed out the PS3 & 360 & replaced them with upgraded consoles with redesigns & better features same price range , would you upgrade to the newer PS3's / 360?

[Example]

PS3.5 or PS3D or whatever they call it

1GB total ram

8X Blu-ray drive

HDMI 1.4

Wireless N

PS2 backward compatibility

extra features like 3D & other graphical upgrades that you can turn on for all PS3 Games

& maybe a few games that are PS3.5 only like how there is a few DSi only games but not enough to piss off the DS only owners.

would something like this make you replace your old PS3 /360?

Tailzo

No, I'd rather wait for xbox 720 / Ps4.

I'd like to see PS3 games having some soft of framrate / resolution boost on ps4 though.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Tripling the RAM would essentially make it a new console, with games designed exclusively for it. So uh, sure, why not. I have money.

DonMigs85

glaurung said:
Someone's bored out of their mind and decides to guestimate total assness.
Though I'll admit, Sony probably should have upgraded to Wireless-N when they introduced the Slim. It's also a sin that the PSP Go was still saddled with Wireless-B.
But the extra RAM and faster drive speeds? Pretty useless at this point. Even the DSi was a fairly useless platform IMO.

dc89

x-Lundz-x said:
No,

Seems a little pointless to me. If I wanted to buy an Xbox 360+ I would just get a Wii U.

:O

Erm, it would have to include more than that I'm afraid.

V_Arnold

I just did. Replaced my defunct old 360 with a Slim one. Less power consumption, 250gb, built-in wireless.

I wont need more than this for one half generation.

pottuvoi

Banned
No.

Wii stopped the evolution of Nintendo for a several years, I would not want same to happen with Ms or Sony.

onQ123

DaBuddaDa said:
No, that defeats the purpose of consoles and would not be well enough supported by 3rd parties.

how is it not supported by 3rd parties? it's still the PS3/Xbox360

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Maybe down the line if there were solid exclusives but if this happened I'd probably save up and build a gaming PC since I'm just on an old Macbook.

Angry Fork

onQ123 said:
Everyone who wants to play future 360/PS3 games would have to upgrade in order to get the benefits of the better hardware (since games using 1gb ram wouldn't work on 512). That's the main reason probably that they don't allow upgrades (although N64 did have that little red RAM chip thing). I kind of wish there were upgrades but I have a gaming PC so it's not really necessary for me.

DonMigs85

onQ123 said:
Chances are they wouldn't sell very well so few if any devs would make any exclusive games ala DSi. Maybe instead they would treat these newer consoles like glorified N64 Expansion Paks.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
onQ123 said:
Math! you're bad at it!

1GB is not triple 512MB
PS3: 256 to 1024
Xbox: 512 to 1024.

When making a general statement about both, I'll say triple.

onQ123

Angry Fork said:
Everyone who wants to play future 360/PS3 games would have to upgrade in order to get the benefits of the better hardware (since games using 1gb ram wouldn't work on 512). That's the main reason probably that they don't allow upgrades (although N64 did have that little red RAM chip thing). I kind of wish there were upgrades but I have a gaming PC so it's not really necessary for me.

did you even read the OP?

only a few games that are PS3.5 only like the DSi games, the extra ram is there for the extra features like how the PSP go\ DSi has more ram than the PSP & DS,

Yeah because that idea worked flawlessly in the past.

Hint:
Sega32XBox.jpg

Radec

They can't upgrade the specs(RAM,CPU,GPU) of the PS3 and 360 since the devs can't support it anyway.

If the devs did, their games won't probably work on older SKUs.

Hardware Requirements consistency is what makes the console, a console.

If you want to an upgradable gaming machine, buy a PC.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Sony and Microsoft are looking to drop the price in the future. Adding more features in a new model will just make that hard for them. Also it's not that easy as it seems.

Will it be 100% compatible with older PS3/Xbox 360 software? Will the developers run into any issues? Etc. So yeah, no.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
onQ123 said:
did you even read the OP?

only a few games that are PS3.5 only like the DSi games, the extra ram is there for the extra features like how the PSP go\ DSi has more ram than the PSP & DS,
And are there many PSPGo or DSi only games? No. Well, guess this means the community won't adopt "Expansion Pack" specific features inside already small echo systems. Especially when it's RAM.

onQ123

Lyphen said:
PS3: 256 to 1024
Xbox: 512 to 1024.

When making a general statement about both, I'll say triple.

I said 1GB total ram

the PS3 has 512MB total ram

5 year later & people still think that the PS3 only has 256MB of ram? SMH

Ronabo

I'd buy a new 360 now that had more RAM just so the 3000 song bug in Rock Band 3 didn't hit me. Of course Harmonix would have to patch the game to work with more RAM and you know that wouldn't ever happen.

Zoc

I'm going to go against the grain and say it's a good idea, as long as it doesn't affect the games themselves. Add lots of stuff to the dashboard, stuff happening in the background of games, make the drives faster to reduce loading, etc.

You could even let devs add 1080p/3D to games running on the new console, as long as they still test it fully on the old versions.

onQ123

Lyphen said:
And are there many PSPGo or DSi only games? No. Well, guess this means the community won't adopt "Expansion Pack" specific features inside already small echo systems. Especially when it's RAM.

did you read the OP?

If it's something like a revision like a PSP2000/3000 or DSi/DSXL, and the PS3 is smaller and consumes less energy, yes and I actually expect it next year. If it's the "PS4" then fuck no.

Xena

If the PS3 by some weird chance brought back PS2 compatibility, then yes I'd be tempted to get another one. Otherwise, not really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom