• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'PS3.5' , 'XBOX 360 Plus' would you upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onQ123

AranhaHunter said:
If it's something like a revision like a PSP2000/3000 or DSi/DSXL, and the PS3 is smaller and consumes less energy, yes and I actually expect it next year. If it's the "PS4" then fuck no.

this is what I'm talking about but most people in this thread is just going off in another world about devs not supporting it & blah blah blah

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
onQ123 said:
did you read the OP?
Barely, I don't give silly ideas much thought, really. Doesn't seem like you did either.

Think about it. These games costs millions of dollars to make, far beyond the budget of DSi only features like camera addons.

So why would anyone work on an Expansion Pack game upgrade for such a small subset of the console's market, investing in worthless new additions? And RAM, which would allow for so many alienating changes.

onQ123 said:
this is what I'm talking about but most people in this thread is just going off in another world about devs not supporting it & blah blah blah
Adding more RAM is nothing like changing a screen or a front facing camera on a handheld. The extra RAM is for the browser - games don't use it. If you're actually talking about just a new "Slim" type model that reduces power and adds small new hardware features like wireless N, then that's completely different than what you put in the OP. And stuff like that has already happened.

onQ123

Metalic said:
Yeah because that idea worked flawlessly in the past.

Hint:
Sega32XBox.jpg

how is this anything like what I'm talking about?

Lyphen said:
Adding more RAM is nothing like changing a screen and a front facing camera on the DSi. The extra RAM is for the browser - games don't use it.

Yeah, this extra RAM in this hypothetical console would be for media purposes and maybe to cache some games like the PSP2000-3000-Go do. It would not be available for developers. Considering how slow the PS Store and in game xmb is at times, the PS3 would benefit from it greatly.

DonMigs85

DSi did also have more RAM and a faster processor which enhanced a few games. There were also a couple DSi exclusives, but I bet they sold pretty badly. What more for a big budget console release?
Even in the PSP's case, the extra 32MB of RAM was strictly for data caching - devs couldn't use it for anything else.
A faster Blu-Ray drive would also show little benefit other than initial game installs, since most games install to HDD or stream data anyway.

Nope... but the way hardware is going, in a few years we're going to have hardware where the main restriction will be the creativity of programmers and artists rather than limitations on the hardware itself.

So if I were in charge of the Xbox division for example.... I'd release the next console as "the new Xbox", and then every 18-24 months I'd upgrade the hardware much like Apple does. And hardware less than 5 years old would be made sure to run all software available at a minimum quality standard (30FPS, 1080p, 2xAA as an example).

Eventually it'd reach the point where the hardware upgrades don't even improve the games that much but would probably be used to increase the experience on the dashboard/media side (like getting rid of load times for any of the menus; whether that be the friends list, marketplace, games list, etc).

onQ123 said:
it's still the PS3/Xbox 360 , the extra stuff is on the hardware side devs don't have to do anything

So Sony up the hardware specs, have to test games, change their manufacturing process, presumably maintain or lower the price..for what benefit? Doesn't sound like it'd net them much if any money, and they're still smarting from the sky high dev costs.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
infinityBCRT said:
Nope... but the way hardware is going, in a few years we're going to have hardware where the main restriction will be the creativity of programmers and artists rather than limitations on the hardware itself.

So if I were in charge of the Xbox division for example.... I'd release the next console as "the new Xbox", and then every 18-24 months I'd upgrade the hardware much like Apple does. And hardware less than 5 years old would be made sure to run all software available at a minimum quality standard (30FPS, 1080p, 2xAA as an example).
Games take more than 24 months to make. Simple 1 hour app development is completely different. Sky-high dev costs to ensure backwards compatibility with all system formats, more QA, more bugs leak through, total chaos. Anarchy. PC Gaming. Why does my AMD card still hate Brink?

DonMigs85 said:
DSi did also have more RAM and a faster processor which enhanced a few games. There were also a couple DSi exclusives, but I bet they sold pretty badly. What more for a big budget console release?
Even in the PSP's case, the extra 32MB of RAM was strictly for data caching - devs couldn't use it for anything else.
A faster Blu-Ray drive would also show little benefit other than initial game installs, since most games install to HDD or stream data anyway.

I just want to a N wireless adaptor. Streaming shit on the PS3's "G" adaptor irritates the hell out of me.

onQ123 said:
how is this anything like what I'm talking about?

Because what you are proposing segments the PS3 software market, just like the Sega CD.

Souljiro

If they had a reasonable upgrade trade in program then maybe not really interested in the 3D, but the ps2 backwards compatibility sounds great.

Lyphen said:
Games take more than 24 months to make. Simple 1 hour app development is completely different.
You haven't given enough context to your response there so I'm not sure exactly what you are getting at.

I think that it would be dumb to continue this "new generation every 5-7 years" type of system BECAUSE the leap will start to get smaller and smaller in terms of fidelity. Instead, why not eliminate the growing pains of a new platform altogether by just constantly releasing new hardware out there, and ensuring that hardware released within the last 5 years still runs games perfectly well. I don't see how that increases the burden on developers.

onQ123

Para bailar La Bomba said:
I just want to a N wireless adaptor. Streaming shit on the PS3's "G" adaptor irritates the hell out of me.

Because what you are proposing segments the PS3 software market, just like the Sega CD.

no the hell it doesn't,

this is a PS3 with better features it's still playing the same PS3 games but has better hardware features

Subitai

3718356547_c0065dd78c_z.jpg

Seriously though. Sega in the 90s is all the evidence you need to see why this will not work. This sounds like something coming from the PC land of gaming, where it is already part of the business model.

You could argue this has already happened with the Balance Board, Kinect, etc. However, developers can still count on their software running to the same specs lowest common denominator. Without this their business model breaks apart quickly.

Flayer

I would upgrade to a PS3.5 (dependant on features of course). I see it somewhat like the ram expansion that you could get for the N64 but obviously a fully priced new console would need to be more feature rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom