• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhamer 40K: Space Marine MP armor customizer (this is so good)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
This 10 minute long video showcases what you can do to customize your character in MP.

It's slightly old, but I didn't see it posted. I think it needs to be showcased anyway - as a 40K fan, the amount you can do here shamefully makes me incredibly giddy. It's also weird that this has probably made the game a day-1 purchase for me. I don't collect the figurines any more, but I did have a ton of fun in Dawn of War 2's army painter, and this Space Marine completely eclipses that in terms of breadth and detail.

pvb6i.jpg

Leunam

Lots and lots of choices. He was able to crank out an Iron Hands marine easily since bionic arms are one of the choices. Really looking forward to this.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Considering a day one buy after this.

Ponti

Was aware that there was some form of customization in the game but I didn't know it was this indepth, looks great. Wouldn't mind this level of unit customization in DoW3.

I have no idea why, but I blindly pre-ordered this on Steam a few months ago. Maybe it was the free copy of Darksiders that did it.

Whatever the reason, the more I see of this game the happier I am. I just hope it won't turn into another Red Faction: Armageddon. (the last THQ game I pre-ordered)

They haven't even detailed the perks yet, I'm really looking forward to those.

I don't know much about 40K and Space Marine lore, but the preorder DLC that Gamestop is offering for the Space Wolves looks awesome! Too bad you can't use any of the preorder DLC in the armor customizer.

daedalius

My collectors edition is already on order, can't wait!

I wonder how close I can get the armor customizer to a grey knight.

Looks SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good.

Already ordered the CE off THQ's online store.

Going to get my buddy at Relic to have the team sign it. :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This looks great, but I'm a little disappointed that they didn't lift the wargear system from DoW2.

Bankoiia

I know next to nothing about Warhammer, but I'm really looking forward to this. Had a blast with Dawn of War II and I think I would like a TPS even more.

Ponti

Kalamoj said:
Dark Angels with veteran robes, please. What about the terminator armour?
I could see Terminators being a separate class rather than just an armour piece. Might be revealed in the next vid on the classes, haven't seen anything about them though in the videos so far.

Leunam

I doubt Terminator Armor, or Scout Armor for that matter, will make it into the multiplayer side of things. I hope it does.

Herla

The Terminator armor would be overpowered, but I can see it in some sort of VIP mode (though it wouldn't make much sense lore-wise...).

Ponti said:
I could see Terminators being a separate class rather than just an armour piece. Might be revealed in the next vid on the classes, haven't seen anything about them though in the videos so far.

Won't be in the base game. There are three classes, check out the multiplayer dev diary or the multiplayer video previews on GT or IGN.

Kalamoj

The Antitype said:
Won't be in the base game. There are three classes, check out the multiplayer dev diary or the multiplayer video previews on GT or IGN.
Bummer. Then no bone-white deathmachine for me. In SP you can play with the smurfs only, i guess.

Philthy

The Antitype said:

noooooooooooooooooooooooo

Everyone who dreams 40k is dreaming about Terminators. Battle for Macragge was the ultimate sacrifice and badassness of Terminators.

*smashes the wall down*

Can't wait for Space Marine. I bought Kill Team and it was my first excursion into the Warhammer 40,000 universe. Found myself very intrigued.

Ponti

The Antitype said:
Bah was hoping there would be more than just three classes.

daedalius

Ponti said:
Bah was hoping there would be more than just three classes.

Question is what would they be?

I could see a 'captain' class with buffing abilities sort of like the Leader in WFC though.

I'm at work, can't properly search GAF and don't have the time to do this properly. But this is definitely "New thread for new News" worthy:

Space Marine will have CO-OP added at least 30 days after release as "free" DLC

Just learned this from co-optimus.com. Relic will announce full details pretty soon, I'd assume.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Why? The game looks great.
The bits and pieces I've seen of the single player look very repetitive and monster closet central. Very similar to a Dynasty Warriors without character selection.

And I have no interest in multiplayer, so I can't speak on that.

secondratesaint

Neo Member
Pretty confident this is currently my most anticipated game. Hope it holds up and that there'll still be a crowd playing it online when Gears 3 hits. Not the same, I know, but similar enough to draw the crowd.

Bankoiia

Reluctant-Hero said:
I'm at work, can't properly search GAF and don't have the time to do this properly. But this is definitely "New thread for new News" worthy:

Just learned this from co-optimus.com. Relic will announce full details pretty soon, I'd assume.
Damnit, now I won't be able to play the game as intended for a whole year, since I'm going abroad.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Reluctant-Hero said:

That's great. But, 30 days after release? I'll be balls deep in GoW3 co-op and horde. :(

Duffyside

Banned
When this game was announced, I was all "pfft, 'SPACE MARINE.' What dumb, shitty title. It looks like a Gears ripoff. And 'Warhammer 40k?' That might be an even DUMBER name than 'SPACE MARINE.' LOLZZZZ."

Now I'm all like "Day... 2." (Not quite there yet, but damn the game looks better and better. And actually getting interested in the universe itself.)

Duffyside

Banned
elrechazao said:
as opposed to what? army 1 vs army 2 basically every other shooter?
Heh, now that you bring it up, how awesome would it be if a shooter did the Starcraft thing of having multiple race types where each played differently but were all balanced?

Has any game done that? What about that 360 Fantasy-Shooter Cross-PC thing?

elrechazao said:
That's it, it's very common nowadays to see just opposite armies, which are pretty identical to each other. I wait from WH40k shooter to have different armies, not that trivial shit. They're also making an equal sign between Imperium and Chaos and it is pretty dumb to me as a fan. I thought Relic guys are versed in the Warhammer 40K universe.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
elrechazao said:

They could have done it like L4D. 4 Marines against an ork horde with the ork players taking controll of the more powerfull ones. Would probably require a lot if work though.

duffyside said:
When this game was announced, I was all "pfft, 'SPACE MARINE.' What dumb, shitty title. It looks like a Gears ripoff. And 'Warhammer 40k?' That might be an even DUMBER name than 'SPACE MARINE.' LOLZZZZ."

Now I'm all like "Day... 2." (Not quite there yet, but damn the game looks better and better. And actually getting interested in the universe itself.)

Did you bother to do any research into the DECADES OLD Warhammer 40,000 license between Day 1 and Day 2? :p

The_Player said:
Multiplayer looks pretty meeh to me. Imperium vs Chaos, how pathetic and ordinary.

Or you could call it elegantly simple and smartly balanced.

I LOVE asymmetrical multiplayer modes, where different teams have different stats, objectives, weapons, and the like. But it takes a lot of time and effort to get right. Even Bungie couldn't quite nail it out the gates with Invasion mode in Reach.

As a Dawn of War fan, would I love to see some on-the-ground battles between the Space Marines, Orks, Eldar, Tau, Tyranids and Necrons? Sure... but it would be tough. Maybe in a sequel?

The_Player said:
That's it, it's very common nowadays to see just opposite armies, which are pretty identical to each other. I wait from WH40k shooter to have different armies, not that trivial shit. They're also making an equal sign between Imperium and Chaos and it is pretty dumb to me as a fan. I thought Relic guys are versed in the Warhammer 40K universe.

I think it's fair to say that while the two races aren't exact mirror images of each other, they are the most similar of the races when it comes to abilities, power, weapons, fighting techniques, etc.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The_Player said:
Honestly, people just expect Imperium and Chaos. If it were anything else, fans would cry out why that race was chosen over their favorite.

Personally, I'd love to have that amount of armor customization with Eldar, but now some lurker is at my throat, asking why not Orks, or Tau.

I think it just makes sense as a kicking-off point for a series to start small. I mean you start with these races and try to gradually include more and more if you get sequels. That lets you keep the quality up to snuff.

Trying to include too many would have meant watering down options, and I'd rather have an amazingly tight experience that can be expanded on.

Nome

It looks freakishly cool. It's going to be weird seeing everyone decked out in different colors though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Nome said:
It looks freakishly cool. It's going to be weird seeing everyone decked out in different colors though.
In Tribes you could force team colors from your viewpoint. They should do that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Lyphen said:
Honestly, people just expect Imperium and Chaos. If it were anything else, fans would cry out why that race was chosen over their favorite.

Personally, I'd love to have that amount of armor customization with Eldar, but now some lurker is at my throat, asking why not Orks, or Tau.
I don't know about that. I think a lot of the 40k crowd is understanding and would want to see something other than Space Marines because they're in EVERYTHING 40k games-wise

edit: whoops double post

Top Bottom