• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How come so many Warhammer 40k video games get delisted from digital storefronts so quickly?

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's pretty ridiculous. Most of the games that have been delisted from Steam and other storefronts are barely a few years old. I think I even saw one that was out for barely 1-2 years and it's already unavailable for purchase.

It got to a point where I just started collecting these games on Steam, regardless of what they are. I'm a huge 40k fan and I would probably check out all of those games at one point or another, but if they are to be delisted within a year of the release, I figured that I'd better grab them as soon as there's a sale. Lest I want to end up having to hunt for second hand steam keys on shady grey markets. And don't even get me started with those fucking scalpers who somehow ended up with leftover steam key for games like Adeptus Titanicus, and try to resell them on the very same grey market for an extortionate price due to artificially created scarcity of the game.

So far I was pretty lucky since I was able to hunt down most 40k games on Steam at fairly cheap prices. But there are still some that are missing from my collection, mostly due to aforementioned grey market prices. I mean, I love 40k, but not enough to spend a 100 dollars on a mediocre turn based strategy. Fuck that.

Regardless, this got me thinking about why Games Workshop is doing this? I assume it's their doing since they're the license holder and whatever they say goes. Plus I think it even says on Steam store pages that most of those games have been taken down at GW's request or whatever. It's stupid. Just let me buy this shit instead of having to chase it down on some scam websites. Do they hate money or something? And if they're concerned about the quality of those games, then maybe they should just license the property out to companies who will be able to make stuff that's actually good, so that they wouldn't have to shamefully delist it a year later.

Drizzlehell

Banned
okay-i-see.gif

LRKD

usually just a licensing issue, very rare for games to get delisted for any other reason. Sega delisted some sonic games for having low online reviews years ago, and sometimes publishers will delist the original release if a remaster releases. But 99% of the time it just seems to be expired licensing. Wonder if warhammer games just have really short licensing? Or maybe the publisher is worried the older, cheaper games would cannibalize the newer more expensive games sales? No matter what it's bs when these things happen.

Drizzlehell

Banned
usually just a licensing issue, very rare for games to get delisted for any other reason. Sega delisted some sonic games for having low online reviews years ago, and sometimes publishers will delist the original release if a remaster releases. But 99% of the time it just seems to be expired licensing. Wonder if warhammer games just have really short licensing? Or maybe the publisher is worried the older, cheaper games would cannibalize the newer more expensive games sales? No matter what it's bs when these things happen.
Yeah, or maybe those games that flopped because they were crap (i.e. most of them) don't get renewed because if there's no interest then there's no revenue in it, so why bother with licensing fee?

Which is probably why:
Dawn of war series it's still there and it's the best 40k experience so it's ok

Although this doesn't seem to be a very consistent rule because stuff like Space Hulk Deathwing is also still available everywhere and that game was awful, and as far as I know, very few people care about it these days. So idk, it's probably just a crapshoot.

One of the recent casualties of this was Regicide which not only was delisted for a while, but they also recently shut down online services for it completely. Which is a shame because I always heard positive things about it and was meaning to try out the online modes.

Sucks to imagine that this is the fate that probably awaits most of those games.

Last edited:
I bought 40k inquisitor a few weeks ago and it was a decent diablo clone. Mechanicus was great! I bought chaos gate full price when it released and was really disappointed. The whole thing about not being able to use your injured units put me off. I was thinking about darktide but im not sure, to be honest, as much as I love warhammer, the games are meh :/

Last edited:
Top Bottom