• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friday the 13th: The Game is being delisted at the end of the year. Base game will be $4.99.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Friday the 13th: The Game will be delisted at the end of the year, publisher Gun Interactive has announced.

The asymmetrical multiplayer horror game was released in 2017 and has continued to enjoy something of a following, despite its dedicated servers being shut down in 2020 (peer-to-peer matchmaking is still possible).

However, Gun has now stated that its Friday the 13th licence will expire at the end of 2023, meaning it will have to pull the game from sale on that date.

Following this, the game will still be playable for at least another year, for those who already bought it.

“The time has come,” a statement on the official Friday the 13th: The Game Twitter account reads. “Our license for Friday the 13th will expire on December 31st, 2023.

On that date, Friday the 13th: The Game will no longer be available for sale, both physically and digitally. The game will, however, continue to function through at least December 31, 2024, if you already own it.

At this time, we’ve made the decision to reduce the price to $4.99 for the base game and $0.99 for each piece of DLC content. We will continue to offer the title and content at that price point right up until it is removed from digital/physical storefronts on December 31st, 2023.

We would like to thank our community for the dedication they’ve shown to Friday the 13th: The Game and Gun Interactive as a whole, and we are happy the game will live on awhile longer and continue to be enjoyed by anyone owning the game already.”

hlm666

I would like to know exactly how this license worked, has anything ever lost it's ip license this quick before? Wonder how long that evil dead game is going to last.

MiguelItUp

It's wild to me because I personally still think there are SO many cool and good things that can be done with asymmetrical multiplayer. Of all the genres that have oversaturated the market, I don't feel like asymmetrical multiplayer really has. Especially when looking at at all the "fad" genres like BRs, extraction shooters, vampire survivor-likes, etc.

Friday the 13th was one of the best ones IMO, jank and all. Texas Chain Saw Massacre is looking to be the same, again, jank and all.

I just know that there are cooler things that could be done. I hate that Dead by Daylight is as big as it is, because compared to everything in that genre, it feels the weakest. At least with F13 it was fun to play as both survivors AND Jason, Texas Chain Saw Massacare feels like the same.

I feel really bad for Gun, between the court case and this. I feel like they've gotten so dicked with this project. I hope it was at least successful for them to some degree.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I would like to know exactly how this license worked, has anything ever lost it's ip license this quick before? Wonder how long that evil dead game is going to last.
Seems kind of obvious how it worked. They signed an agreement to use the license until the end of calendar 2023. Either there's no renewal clause or the renewal option is more expensive than the revenue potential to keep the game alive.

Laieon

Seems kind of obvious how it worked. They signed an agreement to use the license until the end of calendar 2023. Either there's no renewal clause or the renewal option is more expensive than the revenue potential to keep the game alive.

The lawsuit/legal battle might have complicated renewing the license too.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
It's wild to me because I personally still think there are SO many cool and good things that can be done with asymmetrical multiplayer.
kLNztrK.gif

Alright, they can stay, but only with a good single player element! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I was so excited then pissed to hear Evil Dead went this route..

..And Predator.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

This is why I’m thinking I really need to buy that Terminator game soon.

Also a big reason why I picked up Guardians of the Galaxy not long ago. I know I’ll be pissed once all the bitchin’s music’s gone, too.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

kLNztrK.gif

Alright, they can stay, but only with a good single player element! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I was so excited then pissed to hear Evil Dead went this route..

..And Predator.
Haha, don't be triggered! Yeah, I can agree with that. I'd love for games to have packages full of multiple game modes rather than just one, like they USED to, but we'll see. Yeaaaah. I was excited just to see an Evil Dead game period, and looking as good as it did/does. I just think certain IPs REALLY make sense going the asymm route, and others don't. I honestly don't think Evil Dead ever should've gone that route lol.

Hunting Grounds could've been SO much better, it just felt very... bland, honestly.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Soooo, I guess someone will have to hack the game to get it to work on an independent server.

Kind of like what was done with the original Hellgate London.

I will grab a copy of it.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Haha, don't be triggered! Yeah, I can agree with that. I'd love for games to have packages full of multiple game modes rather than just one, like they USED to, but we'll see. Yeaaaah. I was excited just to see an Evil Dead game period, and looking as good as it did/does. I just think certain IPs REALLY make sense going the asymm route, and others don't. I honestly don't think Evil Dead ever should've gone that route lol.

Hunting Grounds could've been SO much better, it just felt very... bland, honestly.
I was just joking, i'm not triggered. It's Friday, i'm just wined :messenger_sunglasses::messenger_tears_of_joy:

I was the same with Evil Dead. I would love a game based on the 2nd film! Voiced by the man himself

El Muerto

There has been an ongoing lawsuit lasting over 5 years about who owns the actual Friday the 13th license and it's currently complicated. The writer for the original Friday the 13th, Victor Miller, owns the license of the first movie, when Jason was a kid. But the Friday the 13th part 2 and up movies are owned by Sean Cunningham who was a producer. But a judge ruled Cunningham has to get permission from Miller to make more movies or shows. So it's a complete mess.

hlm666

There has been an ongoing lawsuit lasting over 5 years about who owns the actual Friday the 13th license and it's currently complicated. The writer for the original Friday the 13th, Victor Miller, owns the license of the first movie, when Jason was a kid. But the Friday the 13th part 2 and up movies are owned by Sean Cunningham who was a producer. But a judge ruled Cunningham has to get permission from Miller to make more movies or shows. So it's a complete mess.
Sounds like a shitshow, didn't know that was going on.

Top Bottom