• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Reveals Sales Hopes For Anarchy Reigns And Binary Domain

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This article is a bit old, but it seems no one posted it.

VG247 said:
And while its already been made clear in the past that Madworld failed to live up to expectations, Bayonetta was a big ticket for developer and publisher, having become a million-seller. Vanquish? Not so much: Hayes told us that it had sold as much as three quarters of a million worldwide since its release last October.

“Bayonetta was a hugely successful title in Japan and it was a successful title in Europe and America, so overall, that’s performed extremely well. And we’d like to think that’s now an IP that is relevant for the market. How we take that forward in the future, that’s all to be looked at, to be announced, no decisions are made on that, but that did well.”

Which brings us to Anarchy Reigns, the next tile from Platinum. While its previous games was under a previous publishing deal under Sega, Anarchy Reigns, says Hayes, is a “standalone deal.” Its releasing the game in January next year, which is normally a relatively quiet period, which may have been part of the reason why Bayonetta did well when it released 18 months ago.

“I think we’ve got reasonable hopes on Anarchy Reigns. We’re going for this point of difference of a multiplayer brawler with the Platinum Games seal of quality. I think Anarchy Reigns is going to be a solid game that works very well. We’re not expecting Anarchy Reigns to break out and sell 2 million units, that’s not our expectations at all.

“But I’d like to think Anarchy Reigns is going to sort of notch up the numbers sort of in between Vanquish and Bayonetta. And if that’s the case, that will be the success we want it to be.”

But one other title Sega has planned for the relatively quiet Q1 period is Binary Domain from Yakuza creator Toshihiro Nagoshi. Sega’s aiming big for this one, with it being aimed to be in “the Bayonetta A++ position in terms of potential” breakout chances.
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/15/sonic-boom-segas-hayes-on-the-future-and-more/

Or, in recap:

Anarchy Reigns: Above 750,000, but below 1.1 million.
Binary Domain: 1.1+ million.

DaBuddaDa

Wow, I want what they're smoking. After what happened to Shadows of the Damned, I don't expect something like Anarchy Reigns to break 100-200k world wide.

mattp

what sucks is, this isn't funny because sega's gonna see anarchy reigns as a failure and not fund more platinum projects

Korigama

Yeah...not seeing this, Sega. Going on the look/art direction alone, I'd say Anarchy Reigns is the least marketable console title Platinum has made since MadWorld, so I wouldn't expect much higher than 250k worldwide (if that).

DaBuddaDa

If either of these stand a chance of hitting those kinds of sales numbers in the west, they need to be astoundingly polished, incredibly reviewed and garner expansive word of mouth. I honestly don't see any of the happening.

Anyone know what happened to the DC digital release program? Did that just come to a screeching halt after lackluster sales of the easy to port games?

Binary Domain might perform well in Japan since it has been placed in the "Yakuza window", a period where PS3 users are usually fed up with a new Yakuza game; Binary Domain could represent a good alternative and if it sells 150-200k in Japan alone, worldwide it'll reach over half a million copies... Half of the expectations though.

Anarchy Reigns, instead, will performe worse than Mad World in my opinion.

Htown said:
Doesn't Sega have a history of insanely inflated expectations?
IIRC, they don't always say what their sales expectations are, but they tend to say "This met expectations" and "This did not meet expectations."

For whatever it's worth, Overkill met expectations but still got ported away with a kind of blame-y press release along the lines of "It's the same game, but in the HD you always wanted it!"

Their public expectations for Vanquish were kind of vague:

Vanquish will be a challenge because it is a new IP arriving in October with so many other great games, but it is a very good product and therefore has a chance of doing well

So it seems like they expected it not to do well and it did worse than that.

soultron

Banned
I think AR will be a much harder sell than BD. With the right marketing, BD might appeal to the Gears/Shooter crowd.

But how do you even market AR?

I love that SEGA's taking risks with both titles, but I think they're expecting a little too much here. They really better get on the marketing train sooner rather than later if they want those numbers.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I need to get my PS3 fixed so I can finally play through Vanquish. The demo has some of the best gameplay I've experienced with a controller.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Here's a better idea Sega, how about you put some more resources and focus on getting PSO2 out worldwide and on consoles in a timely manner.

If AR can break the 300.000 barrier worldwide, that will be a surprise for me. Shame that Vanquish didn't reach the one million, fantastic game.

Argyle

I played Binary Domain at E3, it was surprisingly fun (knew nothing about it beforehand). Did not know Nagoshi was involved...will definitely keep an eye on it.

sarcoa

Spent time with both at E3, had an argument with someone else on our site over which was more disappointing. It was too bad because I went in as a huge fan of both Platinum and the Yakuza series.

mattp said:
what sucks is, this isn't funny because sega's gonna see anarchy reigns as a failure and not fund more platinum projects
But on the plus side, it means no more Platnium projects in the vein on Anarchy Reigns.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
How do people on GAF not know what Anarchy Reigns is? This makes me sad.

rvy

Banned
Hayes told us that it had sold as much as three quarters of a million worldwide since its release last October.
sam-being-awesomeuj1g.gif

Why do people hate good games?

faridmon

Anarchy Reign looks stupid. Too bad Sega can't see it. I hope Binary Domain sells though, it looks intruiging so far.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
JumpingTheGun said:
je-sus christ. now I have to play Vanquish again.
Vanquish is also the only game I can think of where playing makes you look more badass than the cutscenes.

faridmon said:
Anarchy Reign looks stupid. Too bad Sega can't see it. I hope Binary Domain sells though, it looks intruiging so far.
Anarchy Reigns looks awesome >:O

Coxy

I think Anarchy Reigns will do reasonably well, it wasnt getting much buzz up until lately but the new trailers seem to have people excited.

BD I forsee complete failure on

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think Binary Domain will do okay.

Unless Irrational decides that Infinite comes out in February. I don't think they will though.

mattp said:

and then WB or someone will fund their next game. Platinum has a high pedigree and is considered one of THE best developers in Japan. They'll be just fine.

Top Bottom