• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Targets 5 Million Sales in Debut Year for Next Numbered Persona Title

ma0qldfu1ou31.png

Sega has published the company’s quarterly investor Q&A for the Q2 financial results for the fiscal year ending in March 2024 (which is July, August and September 2023). The respondents were Sega Sammy’s Haruki Atami (Representative Director, President and Group CEO) and Koichi Fukasawa (Director, Senior Managing Executive Officer, Group CFO)
The Q&A includes an answer about the future sales potential of the Persona series.

Q: Is there a chance that, with its overseas popularity, the Persona series could sell 5 million copies in its first year?
A: By increasing the number of platforms it is available on and the regions it is released in, we have been increasing the sales of Persona 5. We believe that it would be possible for a major Persona title, such as a numbered release, to sell 5 million copies in its first year by releasing it on multiple platforms and simultaneously worldwide from day one.

We also have high expectations for the new IP Metaphor: ReFantazio from the developers of Persona 5.
In their FY Ending March 2024 Q1 Q&A session, Sega stated that the Persona series was one that they had high expectations for, with the likely expectation that Persona 3 Reload would sell over 1 million copies.

As per last reported numbers, no individual Persona release has yet to sell over 5 million. Between the original release and the remastered port, Persona 5 Royal will have sold at least 4 million copies as of the last reported figures in April 2023, with the Persona 5 series having sold over 9 million copies sold worldwide.

Sega Investor Relations

The saga's been getting more and more popular last years on every platform now, if they maintain the quality and go for a multiplatform release, yea, it's easily dethroning Final Fantasy as the best selling JRPG's nowadays, not counting Pokemon ofc

StereoVsn

Yeah and by 2030 or whatnot when it releases market will be even bigger 😞.

P5 released 7 years ago and P5R 4 years ago. And we probably won’t see P6 realistically not until 2026. Meh.

Would love to see Persona's splits on PC and Xbox.

I've never seen these games chart well on either, but they were released well after the fact.

I just hope the game isn't cross-gen.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Opening the series up to Nintendo, PC and Xbox has done the IP wonders in terms of popularity. but it'd be better if we could get a Persona game that's actually new and not like years old.

Thanks, though I mostly meant Persona 5.

This is where I think Steam units can be so misleading.

Persona 4 launched for 20 dollars on Steam in 2020 and has been as cheap as 12.99, so selling "1 million units" isn't the success I think that moniker generally would suggest, but as I said they took a game from 2008 and generated significant revenue for it, but would be interested to see if those million players would buy Persona 5, which has been on Steam for over a year now, but they want 60 for it.

YukiOnna

Thanks, though I mostly meant Persona 5.

This is where I think Steam units can be so misleading.

Persona 4 launched for 20 dollars on Steam in 2020 and has been as cheap as 12.99, so selling "1 million units" isn't the success I think that moniker generally would suggest, but as I said they took a game from 2008 and generated significant revenue for it, but would be interested to see if those million players would buy Persona 5, which has been on Steam for over a year now, but they want 60 for it.
Nothing misleading, if SEGA and Atlus considered it a success, which they did, it's all that matters. It was the big catalyst for their PC/Multiplatform initiative with P4G's Steam launch. Royal's Remastered ver also almost at 2M.

Nothing misleading, if SEGA and Atlus considered it a success, which they did, it's all that matters. It was the big catalyst for their PC/Multiplatform initiative with P4G's Steam launch. Royal's Remastered ver also almost at 2M.

I'm not sure I'd say it means it was a success. We'll see how this plays out long term. It could simply mean that they want to fully explore this.

It's like saying Sony putting Sackboy Adventure on PC and putting additional games on PC means that Sackboy was a success and is the reason for the continued PC support.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I'm not sure I'd say it means it was a success. We'll see how this plays out long term. It could simply mean that they want to fully explore this.

It's like saying Sony putting Sackboy Adventure on PC and putting additional games on PC means that Sackboy was a success and is the reason for the continued PC support.

In that very article the sega CEO said it far exceeded their expectations and was a catalyst for more PC ports. So nothing like Sackboy.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Cant wait for Persona 5 Remake on Unreal Engine 5

Fantazio
Persona 6

then probably the next remake. Persona 5 already has like a bajillion spin offs, I don't think it even needs a remake.

Persona 5 sold 9 million on PS4 alone, and then millions more when it was ported. It will be easy.

The 9 million is for Persona 5 "Series" including all of its spin-offs, and that figure also came out after the game got released on other platforms.

Last edited:
Xbox has blown it’s load all over Atlus. Marketing went crazy for gamepass on the Persona Series (P3R, P4G, P5R, P5T all GP).

I would be genuinely shocked if Persona 6 was a PS console exclusive at this point. That’d be a maaaaajor L for M$FT

Ozriel

M$FT
If it releases on PS4, 5, Switch 1 and 2, Xbox and PC? It's not...it's actually little.

If it launches day 1 on PS5, Switch, XBS, and PC... 5 million really isn't that much... In fact, that's a drop in the hat.

5 million in the first year is actually really good. Not sure what you guys are on about.
Persona 5 sold 3.2 million in around 2 years on both the PS3 and PS4 and was hailed as a breakthrough success for Atlus.

5 million in the first year is actually really good. Not sure what you guys are on about.
Persona 5 sold 3.2 million in around 2 years on both the PS3 and PS4 and was hailed as a breakthrough success for Atlus.

I hate how difficult it is to have conversations with people who don't read and don't know what they're talking about.

• What did I say, I said if it launched on 4 platforms and your response is let's take a look at a game that launched on the PS3 that undersold especially in Japan and PS4 that had a small userbase? It launched well after people were even buying games on PS3 anymore.
    • The game didn't even launch internationally for 6 months after the initial release
  • And as you said, it's a game that broke through, it has a significantly larger and sizable fanbase now.
    • That's like comparing sales of GTA2 and GTA Vice City after GTA3.
  • Simply launching on PC day 1 would open it up to more users than it ever has before, but the PS5 and Switch have sizable userbases now.

Neilg

Every persona game has had a much better version released later that couldn't be added as dlc and forced you to play from the top again.
Did they not lose a little loyalty on 5's royal version with fans ?
Personally I'll be waiting. I got enough in the backlog.

Last edited:
The title of ‘Persona’ being way more popular worldwide over the title of ‘Shin Megami Tensei’ is exactly why I stand by my point that the next Elder Scrolls game should simply be called “Skyrim 2” and it doesn’t matter if it doesn’t make sense.

Short and easy name recognition for bigger audiences and more sales. Persona 6 will reach 5 million quickly.

Ozriel

M$FT
I hate how difficult it is to have conversations with people who don't read and don't know what they're talking about.

• What did I say, I said if it launched on 4 platforms and your response is let's take a look at a game that launched on the PS3 that undersold especially in Japan and PS4 that had a small userbase? It launched well after people were even buying games on PS3 anymore.
    • The game didn't even launch internationally for 6 months after the initial release
  • And as you said, it's a game that broke through, it has a significantly larger and sizable fanbase now.
    • That's like comparing sales of GTA2 and GTA Vice City after GTA3.
  • Simply launching on PC day 1 would open it up to more users than it ever has before, but the PS5 and Switch have sizable userbases now.

Already used to you not being on point when it comes to numbers.

PS4, small userbase? Nearly 30% of launch sales were on the PS3. And whether or not it launched 6 months later in the west is immaterial since the 3+ million sales figure I provided is over 3 years.

FFXV sold 10 million in 6 years across multiple platforms…a highly anticipated entry in a much bigger franchise with a much bigger budget. Yet Persona selling 5 million in a single year is supposed to be a poor showing.

Already used to you not being on point when it comes to numbers.

PS4, small userbase? Nearly 30% of launch sales were on the PS3. And whether or not it launched 6 months later in the west is immaterial since the 3+ million sales figure I provided is over 3 years.

FFXV sold 10 million in 6 years across multiple platforms…a highly anticipated entry in a much bigger franchise with a much bigger budget. Yet Persona selling 5 million in a single year is supposed to be a poor showing.

• Yes, the PS4 userbase in Japan was pretty small in 2016.
  • 30% isn't a great number when you consider the size of the PS3 userbase.
  • It not launching in the West for 6 months doesn't matter to your 3 year time frame, it matters to the 12 month time frame of selling 5 million units. My point that you're missing again is that this game has far more advantage than P5 to sell much quicker.
  • FF15 sold 5 million units in checks notes... 1 day...

5 million units worldwide across 4 different platforms is something pretty minor games can accomplish.

It Takes Two sold 5 million copies in 1 year
Dying Light 2 sold 5 million copies within a month
Cuphead sold 5 million units within 2 years, launching before even launching on PS4

You seem to not understand how big Persona is now, how fast games sell now, especially releasing worldwide on multiple platforms.

Not sure where this 5 million number came from for a year, but if it sold only 5 million copies, it would be a dud.

poodaddy

I wish they'd remake both of Persona 2's games into one, but I don't think it'll ever happen. I think that was the high point of the series for my narrative preferences.

Top Bottom