• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts vanished from XBLM

Long story short: replaced my xbox 360, and went to go download Psychonauts again, only to find that has been removed from the marketplace. Now I have no way to play a game that I bought through XBLM. :(

Has anyone else had this happen with paid content? Is there any way to get it back?

Sorry man, I may be wrong but I think MS eventually takes down every game after a certain amount of time, so best to buy it while it's there.

JJD

If I'm not mistaken Psychonauts rights reverted to the developers. I think the publisher was Ubi right? This might be the cause.

LiK

JJD said:
If I'm not mistaken Psychonauts rights reverted to the developers. I think the publisher was Ubi right? This might be the cause.

yup, Double Fine got it back.

Syriel

outunderthestars said:
Long story short: replaced my xbox 360, and went to go download Psychonauts again, only to find that has been removed from the marketplace. Now I have no way to play a game that I bought through XBLM. :(

Has anyone else had this happen with paid content? Is there any way to get it back?

What Subliminal said.

You bought it. It's in your download list. You can just go through your previous purchases and redownload.

The reason it disappeared is likely because Majesco (publisher) had the rights expire and as such, the game reverted back to Double Fine (developer).

Since Double Fine now owns the rights, the game image will likely have to be remastered to remove the Majesco references for legal reasons. Given that Double Fine is a fan focused company, I wouldn't be suprised to see it re-appear on the Xbox Originals marketplace soon enough.

PooBone

snoopeasystreet said:
Double Fine bought the rights back from Majesco. I'm betting we'll see a HD rerelease sometime next year.

cena_whistling_gif.gif

Yea an HD remake would be full of win, but it seems risky to reinvest into a game that failed commercially and is only known (for the most part) by a niche audience.

LQX

odin toelust said:
Yea an HD remake would be full of win, but it seems risky to reinvest into a game that failed commercially and is only known (for the most part) by a niche audience.
I think it can have different type of success on XBLA and PSN as marketing it will not be the same as full retail release.

wwm0nkey

Phonomezer said:
Pretty much almost confirmed, isn't it? At least I got that impression a few months ago.
Yeah I remember them hinting at it pretty hard when they got the rights back. If anything we will probably hear something tomorrow if they where going to do a XBLA HD remake.

LQX said:
I think it can have different type of success on XBLA and PSN as marketing it will not be the same as full retail release.
How did Beyond Good and Evil HD do? That would be a good comparison to make. My understanding is it didn't exactly set the world on fire but like you said, maybe it didn't need to.

V_Ben

Banned
Neuromancer said:
How did Beyond Good and Evil HD do? That would be a good comparison to make. My understanding is it didn't exactly set the world on fire but like you said, maybe it didn't need to.
I recall it selling quite well actually. The $10 price point helped probably. Double Fine can't self publish yet can they... I wonder who would put it on PSN and XBLA.

wwm0nkey

Neuromancer said:
BG&E did VERY good in sales according to Ubisoft.

Persona7

Banned
If you don't want to scroll through the entire list go to xbox.com,downloads and you can select full games and all you need to do is hit add to queue and it downloads instantly next time you turn your xbox on or if it is already on.

Speevy

Banned
Thankfully you can still buy this game from anywhere for a few bucks.

Otogi 1-2, Rallisport Challenge 2, and Voodoo Vince rest in peace.

wwm0nkey said:
BG&E did VERY good in sales according to Ubisoft.
V_Ben said:
I recall it selling quite well actually. The $10 price point helped probably. Double Fine can't self publish yet can they... I wonder who would put it on PSN and XBLA.
Ah well there you go then.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
The Broken Ska Record said:
For a second there, I was worried. Then I realized I had the physical disc for Xbox, the PC version on disc, and the Steam version.

You're missing the GOG.com version, noob. :p

FoxSpirit

V_Ben said:

Why?

Speevy

Banned
AND the import Gamecube version. :3

You're either joking or I missed the part where Psychonauts Gamecube wasn't outright laughed at by Tim Schafer himself.

PooBone

AND the PS2 version. AND the import Gamecube version. :3
WHO is that girl in your avatar.

I think I've owned 4 versions of BG&E. Don't claim I never voted with my wallet.

Speevy said:
You're either joking or I missed the part where Psychonauts Gamecube wasn't outright laughed at by Tim Schafer himself.
Nah. I have no interest in getting either. I played the PS2 version of Psychonauts, but the sound cut out on me during the last cutscene and I don't care to import the Gamecube version of the game. Like I said, I have three versions of the game. I think that's enough.

PooBone said:
WHO is that girl in your avatar.
Airica Michelle Her tumblr is NSFW.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Neuromancer said:
At least a hundred thousand on XBLA alone. I'd say they probably sold more than 200k which is a great success for a game like that.

Syriel

Mini GAFbrag.

Rarest Psychonauts disc out there (print run on the demo discs was stupid low).

Signed by the man himself.

Nah. I have no interest in getting either. I played the PS2 version of Psychonauts, but the sound cut out on me during the last cutscene and I don't care to import the Gamecube version of the game. Like I said, I have three versions of the game. I think that's enough.

Airica Michelle Her tumblr is NSFW.
There's a GameCube version of Psychonauts?

I guess not even Nintendo is free from the stench of over rated Double Fine games.

Top Bottom