• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare 3 using Steamworks + Dedicated Servers, like Black Ops did

LiK

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...-steam-will-support-dedicated-pc-servers.aspx

Unlike its major competitor, EA's Battlefield 3, Activision's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 for PC will be available on Valve's Steam download service.

According to a press release just sent out by Valve, Modern Warfare on PC will be available for purchase on Steam and use the full suite of Steamworks services. You can now pre-order the game on Steam, and it will be available for play immediately upon the game's November 8 release. Modern Warfare 3 will utilize Steamworks achievements and auto-updates, among other features. It will also support dedicated servers -- something that was not available in Modern Warfare 2, much to the chagrin of the series' passionate PC audience.

This is in contrast to EA's controversial move of pulling Battlefield 3 from Steam. It will be interesting to see if this plays into the much publicized war of words between EA and Activision over the competition between MW3 and Battlefield 3.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh, I thought the big point here was Steam Works, not the Dedicated Servers. I was going to say every Call of Duty since World at War has been steamworks.

If it wasn't for friends on the PS3 I'd be all over a steamworks CoD.

Shame that the more PC centric of the two shooters isn't on Steam.

cmoyano

Banned
this is how much i hate origin and their stupid idea of not putting bf3 on steam...I WILL BUY MW3 just to support steam over origin.

Interfectum

hooollyy shit...

gauntlet1.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Drkirby said:
Just like the past three Call of Duty Games! I am so shocked Activision has continued to do the exact same thing.

Every Call of Duty since World at War has been Steamworks
World at War wasn't Steamworks. It started with MW2 and has obviously been working very well for Activision.

Steam has made it incredibly easy for Activision to market the game to the PC audience who is interested in shooters.

Firestorm

Wallach said:
Dedicated servers were in the last CoD?
I think he's referring to the Steamworks part. Battlefield also has dedicated servers. Hopefully EA doesn't kill the PC version by not putting it on Steam. I have no interest in picking up BF3 unless it's Steam-enabled. I'm not dealing with another platform and plenty of other games are just as interesting to me to pick up over BF3 that do come with the features I want.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wallach said:
Dedicated servers were in the last CoD?
Yeah, I was thinking they were pointing out Steam Works integration yet again, not the Dedicated servers. Like Steamworks was a big "Aw Snap!" to how EA is not having BF3 on Steam.

Derrick01

Banned
No surprise as it's been Steamworks the last few years but any spit in EA's face is greatly appreciated from me. Nice job Activision.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Moaradin said:
It will still be a much, MUCH superior game. EA just has stupid marketing tactics.

Regardless of whether or not your statement is true, a large chunk of the hype around BF3 was the fact that it wasn't CoD.

Now you can make a pretty strong argument that it's more of what people hated about CoD than MW3 is.

Firestorm said:
I think he's referring to the Steamworks part. Battlefield also has dedicated servers. Hopefully EA doesn't kill the PC version by not putting it on Steam. I have no interest in picking up BF3 unless it's Steam-enabled. I'm not dealing with another platform and plenty of other games are just as interesting to me to pick up over BF3 that do come with the features I want.

Have you been sleeping for the past year? Battlefield 3 is NOT coming to Steam.

Exuro

Stallion Free said:
World at War wasn't Steamworks. It started with MW2 and has obviously been working very well for Activision.
I'm sure they love the full screen ads Steamworks exclusive games get on the store page.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The other interesting thing is that Activision is one of a few companies that has embraced the free weekend sale method on Steam. It's a great feature that Valve implemented and is a fantastic way to market your game.

Geoff9920 said:
I hope that means we can expect it to use VAC instead of Punk Buster.Black Ops uses dedicated servers.
MW2/Blops used VAC. As usual, I was never kicked for not updating VAC. Can't say the same about any recent title that used punkbuster which can't auto-update for shit.

DMPrince said:
Unsure if want. i want BF3 too and swore off MW3 lol.
just be like me and almost everyone else, act like you're only get one of them, then cave and buy both and play whichever you're in the mood to play.

Geoff9920

Stallion Free said:
MW2/Blops used VAC. As usual, I was never kicked for not updating VAC. Can't say the same about any recent title that used punkbuster which can't auto-update for shit.
Ah, didn't realize MW2 also used VAC.

-Pyromaniac- said:
just be like me and almost everyone else, act like you're only get one of them, then cave and buy both and play whichever you're in the mood to play.
i might get both. since MW3 is Steamwork i can just wait for a price drop on some site like GMG. i hope they have it for $35 or lower lol.

Top Bottom