• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare 3 download is huge due to “increased amount of content” [200GB]

Draugoth

Gold Member
Modern-Warfare-3-download-size-550x309.jpg

Modern Warfare 3 is almost here, and Call of Duty continues to grow stronger a good decade after the series’ beginnings. With MW3 on many of our minds and a new CoD campaign underway, publisher Activision is making last-minute preparations and answering the community’s final questions before the full release drops. The publisher’s latest message addresses Modern Warfare 3’s download sizes and reveals just why the game is so darn big compared to its predecessor.

It comes as no surprise that Modern Warfare 3 is one of the most looked-forward-to FPS games this year. Call of Duty invokes nostalgia in almost all of us somehow, whether that be through its reminder of simpler days or its ability to grow and evolve alongside players. Following MW3’s beta access, the developer is gearing up for the shooter’s full release. The file download sizes are downright massive though, and the game itself can exceed 200gb. That’s even bigger than Starfield which is 140gb.

“Modern Warfare 3 is almost here,” Activision begins its post detailing the release and file sizes. “In preparation, we would like to provide an update on file sizes which are larger than last year.” The publisher explains that the larger sizes are “due to the increased amount of content available” on launch day, such as the highly anticipated open-world Zombies and items from previous games like Modern Warfare 2 and Warzone’s maps.

Activision then clarifies that “as part of our ongoing optimization efforts, your final installation size will be actually smaller than the combined previous Call of Duty experiences” and goes on to say we can manage all of the files “in the ‘manage files’ section of the CoD HQ launcher menu.” This means that any unused content that you find you’re not actively playing through is available to selectively uninstall.

At the end of the post, the MW3 publisher reveals that the team will “be sharing more information regarding launch in the coming days.”

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They want to take up as much of your SSD as possible so that you can't play anything else.
100% true.

It's no different than companies fighting for shelf space on Walmart shelves. The more you get, the less competing companies get. And the best result is your company gets an extra two feet of space and some competitors lose all their products,

The more that happens, the more people buy your shit at stores.

Crowd out strategy.

Last edited:
I thought one of the biggest factors in moving from Warzone 1 to Warzone 2 was to be able to better manage games, storage space and have better compression?! Trim the fat if you will.

There is no logical reason that this heap of shit needs 200GB of space other than to just take up the room. Back to BF2042 for me.

Dream-Knife

Banned
In managing thr add ons, my install should be 40gb, but it is instead 120.

After how trash mw22 is, I'm done with this series.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
My gf said that size doesn't matter. Was it just a lie to make me feel better?

Engagement rates will be through the roof once nobodys able to install anything else besides Netflix. What does increased content mean? Didn't some GAFer on here just post the campaign is like 3.5h?

Last edited:

emmerrei

They're just discouraging people to unistall it due it's size, so it's more probable that someone start and "play" it, of course if there aren't other 100gb of patches to do.
A game like that has no reason to weight more than 4gb. 10 if you put 4k textures, nothing more.

//DEVIL//

How many times has this cat given up on Call of Duty.........
This guy is worse at quitting Call of Duty than I am at quitting smoking.
And I aint even tried.
money talks. he gets paid for playing the game.

besides... COD is one of those games that fees like a drug to anyone who was playing since call of duty 4.

its the same game since the PS3 days. but its just addiction.

IT also helps that you can have short play sessions every now and then and not having worry about the control or how to play the game or what are you supposed to do in story mode in some games. like If I play horizon forbidden west and leave it for a 1 month? i will forget all that I did and what I am supposed to do and it will be hard for me to get back to the game.

FeralEcho

They're just discouraging people to unistall it due it's size, so it's more probable that someone start and "play" it, of course if there aren't other 100gb of patches to do.
A game like that has no reason to weight more than 4gb. 10 if you put 4k textures, nothing more.
But at the same time it discourages people to buy this heap of shit in the first place.I'm interested in the campaign as I was with the Black Ops one but I ain't buying either of that shit knowing I need 200 gb on my ssd for a 5 hour campaign.

aint nobody got time for that GIF

Goalus

Isn't this because it's three games together? Warzone, MWII and MWIII.
It would be interesting to check how much storage space is additionally occupied after downloading MW3 if MW2 is already installed.
That would be the actual number that MW3 takes up.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You can consider me a fallen out call of duty fan. I bought last year's game and I really like it. I might boot it up once in a while. I put enough time into it which for me was around 50 hours. And for somebody like me that wants a little bit more depth and story that is saying a lot. Other than rocket League, I'm not going to put in no three or $400 into some games anymore like this. But then to see this as something that I'm sure is going to be a fine game, but just another reason to charge you more money on a yearly basis. It just reminds us of why we were critical of call of duty and when it fell a little bit from Grace despite it selling reasonably enough because casuals are going to do their thing. Obviously. That's why people buy Madden every year. Even if it's turned into a shit show. They don't know. They just see shiny new graphics or an animation or some behavior that they've taken away and brought back to artificially create value.

That's what I feel is happening a little bit here. I know you have to answer the powers that be but it is so different than it was in the first to installments on PC. It has had some reasonable games in the past. And by that I mean modern warfare one or two or in my case last year's modern warfare. But it has worn on me and I'm sure a lot of the core base. I'd rather just buy the same game and they make it more like a games as a service. But obviously you pay for the yearly expansion. Cuz at this rate this is what it is except they're charging you $70 for what amounts to what you would call glorified downloadable content. I will give them credit for making a new campaign, but all the tools and everything that's been there for years facilitates a really streamlined experience that does take some effort of course and does cause money, but it isn't like they're developing a new engine or brand new tools from the ground up other than stuff that maybe behind the scenes wouldn't matter to any of us regular people. It has been there and I'm certain that much like efficiency and console revisions, some degree of efficiency is taking place for these guys to make these games on a yearly basis.

I think I would rather enjoy this more if it was a $20 edition because I'm not the person that buys them every year, but apparently there's a lot of suckers out there.

This cod hq is the biggest pile of crap I've ever seen in my 35 years of gaming.
How can u design such an unfriendly UI is beyond me.
On Xbox why in fucks name am I forced to download mw3 campaign when I didn't even prordered the game , why for warzone I have to click down 3 times to get to my game it's just a mess

I don't even own MW III, but it still forces me to download it before I can continue to play my MW II multiplayer. That is criminal.

This is little off topic but I always curious about why in COD these professional soldiers dress like psychopath in one of those Purge movies.
That's Ghost which in the original MW trilogy looked like this and he never showed his real face.

vn6so2hxqhg91.jpg

Ghost in MW2 (the 2022 game) became kinda of a meme due to some youtube and tiktok videos of him and Soap (another cod mw character and a buddy of Ghost) which went viral. I'm sure you've seen a bunch of the edits with Ghost by now. If not, well here's a recent one :p

Anyway, maybe someone with more deeper COD knowledge can provide better context.

Last edited:
Top Bottom