• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III | Review Thread

Predict The Final Opencritic/MetaCritic Scores for MWIII

• 30-39%

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • 40-49%

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 50-59%

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 57 25.8%
  • 70-79%

Votes: 67 30.3%
  • 80-89%

Votes: 34 15.4%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 95-99%

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Draugoth

Gold Member

call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3.webp

Game Information​

Game Title: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III
Platforms:
  • PC (Nov 10, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Nov 10, 2023)
  • PlayStation 4 (Nov 10, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Nov 10, 2023)
  • Xbox One (Nov 10, 2023)
Trailers:
Developers: Sledgehammer Games, Infinity Ward, Treyarch, Beenox, Demonware, High Moon Studios, Raven Software, Toys for Bob

Publisher: Activision

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 55/100 - 5% Recommended

hcS1HHR.png

MetaCritic - 53/100 (PlayStation 5) - Based on 28 Reviews

PS8W1r1.png

Critic Reviews​

GamePro - Tobias Veltin - German - Unscored
Unfortunately, the two big "innovations" – Makarov and the open combat missions – don't work for me at all. On the contrary, the latter, with their generic gameplay feel, even become the biggest weakness of Modern Warfare 3, because to put it bluntly, I'm just running over disguised Warzone maps and shooting stupid AI minions overboard.
IGN - Simon Cardy - 4 / 10
Underbaked, rehashed, and cobbled together from multiplayer parts, Modern Warfare 3’s single-player campaign is everything a Call of Duty story mode shouldn’t be.
CharlieIntel - 7.0/10.0
Shorter Call of Duty campaign overall. Open Combat Missions are just Spec Ops, not really that exciting. Good overall continuation of the Modern Warfare universe.
Shirakko - 5.0/10.0
The ending feels extremely rushed and the game ends on a rather weak note, while it tries a few great ideas with its missions, they never feel like the team had enough time to fully achieve their vision, I cannot recommend the MW3 campaign.
The Game Crater - 4.0/10.0
The MW3 campaign gets by on Call of Duty's expertly refined gunplay and little else. Its nonsensical narrative comes across as pitiful and dull, further hindered by the uninspired mission design that never extends beyond "go here and shoot them." Purchasing MW3 for its campaign is a massive waste of money, let alone time.
Seasoned Gaming - 5.0/10.0
If you hope to see the series’ campaign design feel like it’s not simply going through the motions, rehashing past glories and not half-baking potential new ideas, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III will leave you wanting.
Entertainment Geekly - 2.5/5.0
It’s a campaign that, despite its moments of graphical splendor and fleeting adrenaline, ultimately feels half-baked—a shadow of what could have been a robust addition to the “Call of Duty” anthology.

Last edited:

dem

Did they just plop this turd out to fulfill some obligation or something?

Even the cover art is terrible

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Can't say I'm surprised. It really does feel like the most bare minimum cash grab yet. I'm sure if anything, the multiplayer will be better than the campaign itself. I mean, what I played in the beta was pretty enjoyable if you're into that kind of thing, even if it was the old MW2 maps, lol.

Codes 208

Not even worth $70 let alone $70 billion.
Well the campaign is a small fraction of the experience. The multiplayer (at least the beta) was better than the last few titles and theres also that new open world zombies mode

I’d say this is a shock but it is cod, campaign stopped being a focus for the franchise after infinite warfare and they clearly stopped caring in general after blops 2

skit_data

Well, if CoD keeps reviewing like this every year that highly regarded Metacritic Publisher of the Year Award seems out of reach in perpetuity

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'd have bought it, cause it sounds top notch...But sadly I chose kusoge like Mario Wonder and SO2R. No doody for me. But shoot the bangs for me!

Codes 208

Raven Software did the Blops CW campaign, right? I really enjoyed that one. I think that them, IW and Treyarch should be the main devs on COD and Sledgehammer be relegated to support studio instead.
Tbf i actually really liked sledgehammer’s work on advanced warfare, i think a major issue is they just needed more time, having mw3 a year after mw2 instead of cw2 or a new line was a mistake

TrebleShot

I’m enjoying it more than mwii because I can shoot stuff and not have to craft distraction gadgets like a crappy TLOU knockoff. That being said yeah, it’s clearly a rushed campaign and this was clearly not meant to be a full sequel. Scores look about right to me
Yeah that bloody crafting was out of control utter shambles

SJRB

Gold Member
CharlieIntel - 7.0/10.0
Shorter Call of Duty campaign overall. Open Combat Missions are just Spec Ops, not really that exciting. Good overall continuation of the Modern Warfare universe.

> Release content that started as dlc for the previous game as a full game
> It's like 4 hours long, tops
> charge people 100 bucks
> get a 7 because the dlc content is a "good overall continuation" of the previous game

009760d7c69c54cebfa76b6108ed2723.jpg

Last edited:
The campaign is the worse COD campaign ever. The levels are just basically single player Warzone maps.

Un fucking believable that they had the gall to sell such a shameless rip off/cash grab/ "campaign" devoid of any respect for their customers and for their own series! MW2019 was actually a great game so to see the following two entries devolve into this ...a 3.5 hour game with recycled warzone maps? I'm beside myself. Gaming in 2023 right here folks. They're not even trying anymore. Blatantly ripping off fans and no, HELL NO, I will not be buying this.

These games used to be fun and worthwhile 8-10 hour "blockbuster" experiences. How did we even get here?

CharlieIntel - 7.0/10.0

> Release content that started as dlc for the previous game as a full game
> charge people 100 bucks
> get a 7 because the dlc content is a "good overall continuation" of the previous game

009760d7c69c54cebfa76b6108ed2723.jpg

Any clown that gives this above a 5 is what's wrong with reviewers today. Even IGN had some self respect this time. I hope the people that got ripped off cause some well deserved backlash for Activision and the devs that made this piece of shit. 3 5 hours campaign and not a single original map for multiplayer? That's some egregious shit right there.

Codes 208

Advanced Warfare was at least a fun little experience with some effort put into it. The jetpack stuff was fun for a campaign
The conflict in the story was decent too, even if it was retreading the poison gas strat from mw3, and graphically it was impressive for the time (the game before it was ghosts, the first “next gen” cod for ps4/xb1, but holy shit that one was basic af)

Also infection mode with the double jump stuff made for awesome clutches

Last edited:

BigLee74

not a single original map for multiplayer
To be fair, they are remakes from a 14 year old game. A lot of folk won’t have played them, and those that have won’t remember all of them. I for one am looking forward to them - I remember loving Skid Row and Sub Base back in the day, and they have never been remade.

Top Bottom