• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3’ Review Scores Are Below Redfall, Forspoken, Every COD Game

crying-wiping-tears-with-money.gif

Pretty much this. Same thing is said every year about CoD.

omg it’s the worst ever!
This is finally going to be the year CoD dies!!

Fast forward, game makes billions.

Harping on the meta score is pointless as well because most of those scores are heavily impacted by the cash grab mentality ABK took with the content and also because most people who buy the game buy it for MP and zombies and apparently both of those are quite good in many respects.

I don’t want to buy the game because I don’t want to show ABK support for such nonsense, but it is a weird situation because I know MS just bought them and while they had no control over MW3, if you look at Redfall and Halo and Forza and Starfield, had MS completed the sale earlier than MW3 would have been delayed or kept to its original plan of being DLC. Maybe I’ll buy cheap on some sale down the line. Then again I thought the same thing about MW2 and it never dipped cheap enough for me to bite 🤷‍♂️

AngelMuffin

I honestly don’t get the outrage. BLOPS 4 had NO campaign and sold over 14M copies. I DO buy CoD mainly for the campaign and didn’t buy BLOOS 4 and likely won’t buy MWIII, but I’m sure the game will still do huge numbers.

Kerotan

Forbes says it’s ‘stupidity’, but this is certainly making more money for Activision than going the expansion/DLC route or skipping COD this year.

Looks like this is the ‘business acumen’ many here praise Bobby Kotick for. The franchise itself has long been resilient to bad entries and will likely have no lasting damage as long as next year’s entry is solid.
Well more money at launch but if legs are trash over the 12 months it could backfire. But Bobby doesn't care because he wasn't going to be around for the fallout anyway.

It's a fucking disgrace. If this was marketed as a €50 MW2 expansion it would be a 9/10 update. Instead it's a full game robbery and deserves 5/10. They have smeared the biggest brand in COD

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Microsoft won’t fix this, they will in fact make it worse. They’re gonna keep it cross gen, and release it on switch, lowering the quality even more. With more platforms to develop for

The franchise will have a quarter of the power it once held under MS management.

Gamepass, releasing on switch, cross gen the entire gen, you name it. Milked trash

Rip cod

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Microsoft won’t fix this, they will in fact make it worse. They’re gonna keep it cross gen, and release it on switch, lowering the quality even more. With more platforms to develop for

The franchise will have a quarter of the power it once held under MS management.

Gamepass, releasing on switch, cross gen the entire gen, you name it. Milked trash

Rip cod
It'll likely be cloud on switch, unless they mean switch 2.

Skifi28

And a ton of people will still buy it. While Activision and MS laugh on their way to the bank.
Yes, but also no. One game with a low score alone doesn't mean much, but if the trend continues this is how you ruin franchises. The people that you "tricked" into buying this release might not come back again.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Microsoft just cares that it generated the monies regardless of how it's recycled yearly. I bought MW2 last year and the last day 1 CoD before that was MW2 for PS3.

Rip cod
HOLY SHIT!!!! Trolling never has been this crystal clear. Either that, or you're thick as pigshit....

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Activision is already making around $2 billion profit per year. The same as Sony's entire gaming division. So despite Sony selling tons of first party games, 30% cuts on everything third party digital, sub plan fees etc.... Activision is a better business model.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Yes, but also no. One game with a low score alone doesn't mean much, but if the trend continues this is how you ruin franchises. The people that you "tricked" into buying this release might not come back again.
Same reason Capcom "rebooted" Resident Evil after 6, even though 6 was the highest-selling RE to date.

They understood the impact of a release in a successful franchise with less-than-great reception impacts the NEXT entry's sales.

MiguelItUp

I hope they learn from this, will they? I can't say, honestly. Regardless of what happens, it's still going to sell well because it's Call of Duty. I just wish I could see the IP do better and better rather than same and same or worse.

Will still sell millions and nobody gives a fuck. Prime example the GTA Shitinitive Edition. Buggy piece of shit games that was a huge success even with low score shitty reviews all over the place.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
What's wrong with native on switch 2?
COD is the casualist of casual shooters. They'll throw that great aim assist on there for the joycons and smbb it up.
Switch 2 is rumored to be PS4 levels of power. May as well be considered cross gen development
HOLY SHIT!!!! Trolling never has been this crystal clear. Either that, or you're thick as pigshit....
Trolling? You're just soft. Everything I said is pretty much a given. Get real. Not every disagreement = "trolling" God you people love to abuse that word.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
No excuses for Activision management, but I do feel somewhat bad for the individual studio devs who've really been handed a no-win situation coming through and post-Covid.

All that disruption to the pipeline and they've been basically expected to carry on as if nothing has happened. Things were going off the rails a bit before the pandemic with Sledgehammer's project getting delayed/rebooted and Treyarch being forced to pull double-duty on pretty much everything since then.

Myself and a few friends were thinking about getting this year's game for Zombies, but its a ridiculous price to pay for what amounts to mishmash of rehashed content from Warzone and Cold War. Worse, knowing that Treyarch are also tasked with doing a full "proper" new iteration for next year's game makes it seem like the current version getting proper support over the next year seem like a massive stretch.

Its a mess.

Not sure why people keep blaming Microsoft for a bad release when the deal was closed only roughly a month before the release of MW3.

Yes the game is terrible, and we've been given a free copy by the publisher and it won't be receiving a good score from us.

BUT

You think they can just magically turn then game around with a month left after all the bad decisions by the original executives (Bobby Kotick) and demands of the higher ups? Ya'll really either fucking stupid (most likely the case) or just mad that MS finally sealed the ABK deal or both? Anyone who blames MS for a shitty CoD release when they absolutely had no control over the game's development is going on ignore. You have no real genuine opinions, just plain hate and plastic toy fanboyism and a bunch of brand loyalists. Fuck you.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I am not sure why all of a sudden Call of Duty is getting bad reviews. It hasn't been good since the Xbox 360 days. Either people have finally woken up to the fact its the Fifa of FPS games or there is some kind of conspiracy going on her.

Because it has in fact had multiple good entries since the xbox 360 days from both Treyarch and Infinity Ward.

False

Saw a TV commercial for the game and they actually had to quote Twitter hype comments because they had no solid quotes from the major outlets. Just sad.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Nobody working at Activision is shocked.

And MS doesn't give a shit.

This is my biggest problem with all of this. Activision isn't shocked and Microsoft won't care. Because either way, it'll make big buck! Maybe if COD scores this low 2 or 3 times in a row will it finally matter.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I wonder if the reviews will affect the sales at all. Cod seem like it has a fan base that just auto buys the next entry.
My friend bought it. I said I heard it wasn't great and was borderline DLC, before it unlocked and (I assume) he could get a refund on the preorder. He said "yeah but what are you going to do?" Like buying COD was unavoidable and just had to be done.

How similar that is for other COD buyers, no idea. But I guess once they have you, they have you.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

you know whats sad ? its the only COD that I really enjoyed since black ops cold war.

nothing against MW1 and 2. I own them like I own every cod game. but man, the maps sucked. this one even though most are old maps. they are really fun. the gun play it self is fun.

Since when these stupid reviewers do a single player review for a game that is considered a GaaS game in the first place ? there were few COD games that didn't even have a single player in the first place.

This is just a sad excuse by some bitter fans to put it down now that its owned by MS to be honest.

coffinbirth

Who buys CoD @ full price just to play the campaign? I mean...seriously, what are you even doing?

This is the best the MP has been in YEARS.

Top Bottom