• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 sales -39% compared with the previous year's game - UK 2023

yazenov

At No.3 in the charts is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. Although it was billed as a full sequel to 2022's Modern Warfare 2, fans felt it was more like an expansion, which may explain why its sales are nearly 39% lower compared with the previous year's game.
EA Sports FC 24, Hogwarts Legacy and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 all had marketing partnerships with PlayStation, and over half of those games' sales were on Sony formats.

This is from the UK 2023 annual sales report which included both physical and digital.

Maddoxswe

married single ladies GIF

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Idgaf, I enjoyed my time with the short, lazy ass campaign.

- ZERO puzzles.
- ZERO padding.
- ZERO backtracking
- Not once was a door "locked from the other side"
- It's simply story, mission, progress. I respect it.

Kind of ironic how the biggest franchise in gaming, doesn't suffer from any of the lame as shit modern day gaming tropes in the campaign.

Call-of-Duty-20231228180828.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228041455.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228041643.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228182037.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228183221.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228183232.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228183911.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228184054.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228184046.jpg

Its also nice and gritty in some parts

Call-of-Duty-20231228152652.jpg

Is that a dead child? Not many devs would do this

Call-of-Duty-20231228154057.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228175950.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228154521.jpg

S0ULZB0URNE

Terrible TTK for MP and a MP that launched with only old maps.

Short bot match-like campaign.

Only decent thing is the open world zombies but that needed to be pvevp but it isn't.

I only own this pos because it came with the Slims I got.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
You didn't need a crystal ball to tell you COD would be onr of if not best selling game every year for the last decade or so.
And Hogwart's Legacy, which was literally the first AAA game by an unknown studio? And FC 24 without Fifa's support for the first time in years and with a new name?

Sony's partnership instincts are worth highlighting. They have a few misses every now and then, but largely their record is amazing.

clarky

Gold Member
And Hogwart's Legacy, which was literally the first AAA game by an unknown studio? And FC 24 without Fifa's support for the first time in years and with a new name?

Sony's partnership instincts are worth highlighting. They have a few misses every now and then, but largely their record is amazing.
Not sure how on earth they managed to pick the multimillion selling FIFA franchise in all but name and the game that's tied to one of the biggest franchises on the planet.

Absolute genius' I tell ya.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Terrible TTK for MP and a MP that launched with only old maps.

Short bot match-like campaign.

Only decent thing is the open world zombies but that needed to be pvevp but it isn't.

I only own this pos because it came with the Slims I got.
Completely the opposite of how I feel. The TTK is perfect and I love the old maps. Much better than most of the maps they put out in 2019 or II.

You can always play hardcore if you're less skilled regarding the TTK.

Can't comment on the rest as I don't play zombies nor the campaign.

They fixed the horrific packet burst issue on PC that plagued II and Warzone for over a year so they get a brucey bonus point on top.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Not sure how on earth they managed to pick the multimillion selling FIFA franchise in all but name and the game that's tied to one of the biggest franchises on the planet.

Absolute genius' I tell ya.
Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Xbox always had FIFA marketing deal

Ozriel

M$FT

Hogwarts Legacy is certainly great strategy at work, but it’s beyond hilarious you’re trying to pretend FC24 didn’t have a 100% cast iron guarantee of being one of the best selling games of the year. Especially with no ‘FIFA 24’ on the shelves.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Completely the opposite of how I feel. The TTK is perfect and I love the old maps. Much better than most of the maps they put out in 2019 or II.

You can always play hardcore if you're less skilled regarding the TTK.

Can't comment on the rest as I don't play zombies nor the campaign.

They fixed the horrific packet burst issue on PC that plagued II and Warzone for over a year so they get a brucey bonus point on top.
Yup, the multiplayer and warzone is the best in a long time. Campaign was short, but it was enjoyable enough.

And Zombies is great, I have no idea why anyone would want that pvp shit in there, because that's what multiplayer is for anyway. In Zombies we now have a mode which is a largely solid co-op mode (needs tweaking for next season though). And I have to say helpful friendlies in Zombies is largely such a positive experience.

Kerotan

While this looks terrible it's not all doom and gloom for now. They threw the worst cod package ever together at double the price it deserved.

Warzone won't crash and burn just yet as they'll play the return card for now. Already announced that Fortune's and rebirth Island are returning.

And you can be guaranteed verdansk will return either this year or next and that'll be huge for another year. After that my guess is people get bored.

Then you have the next black ops coming this year and it's had 3 years of development if not 4. So it'll be huge. Again after that who knows because it should have been a proper MW3 releasing in 24 but after the MW2/3 fiascos people will be wary of 4. Bobby really butchered things on his way out.

clarky

Gold Member
Yup, the multiplayer and warzone is the best in a long time. Campaign was short, but it was enjoyable enough.

And Zombies is great, I have no idea why anyone would want that pvp shit in there, because that's what multiplayer is for anyway. In Zombies we now have a mode which is a largely solid co-op mode (needs tweaking for next season though). And I have to say helpful friendlies in Zombies is largely such a positive experience.
The TTK actually allows you to react when shot and get into gunfights now. Much better, coupled with the better maps makes for a much more solid experience. I couldn't give a shit if the maps are old, i'll take any of them over another Piccadilly or Border Crossing.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The last Call of Duty I've played was Modern Warfare 3... on Xbox 360. I don't understand the appeal of this franchise and why it's so popular.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I've bought a few of the COD games in recent years. I didn't bother with this one as it was widely reported to be dlc packaged as a full game with a short campaign.

On that basis, I'm surprised it sold as well as it has done, but also how strong the brand is that people will go buy it anyway.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Gold Member

- ZERO puzzles.
- ZERO padding.
- ZERO backtracking

Kind of ironic how the biggest franchise in gaming, doesn't suffer from any of the lame as shit modern day gaming tropes in the campaign.

I get it. I respect this opinion. I haven't played it but, I am a little tired of filler crap in games just to say it's over 40 or more hours. Main get for cod and same for bf is it's MP , if the MP is good you got 100s of hours to enjoy.

clarky

Gold Member
The last Call of Duty I've played was Modern Warfare 3... on Xbox 360. I don't understand the appeal of this franchise and why it's so popular.
I dropped it around the same time. Picked it back up for 2019 and bought every one since.

It's my go to game when i've nothing else on or just want to kick back and have a bit of fun.

Truly don't understand all the hate it gets on this board, its one of the most popular games on the market for a reason, its a good game. I could (and do) play Resurgence all day with my group its a ton of fun.

dotnotbot

- ZERO puzzles.
- ZERO padding.
- ZERO backtracking

Damn, I love this film grain, looks so good. Makes me sad many people bitch about it, would look so much worse and artificial if you turn it off.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Good, game is buggy as fuck. Still waiting for them to fix the event tab, let you put on attachments that are weirdly locked, and give me my content that I paid for, I want my tree thing back!

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Damn, I love this film grain, looks so good. Makes me sad many people bitch about it, would look so much worse and artificial if you turn it off.
Yup, i turn it all the way up to 10. (its like that by default actually) looks real good an gives the campaign a cinematic vibe

They'll have to really make a sick ass campaign again for me to buy another one, especially at full price.

MW2 I got as a birthday gift (didn't want to spend my own money) and I'm never buying another CoD until something really impressive happens.

MW2 is also SO much better than MW3 in terms of weapon handling, recoil and movement. I feel like a human with a gun in my hand, not a slippery snake that can vault walls at the speed of a German Sheppard.

BigLee74

I dropped it around the same time. Picked it back up for 2019 and bought every one since.

It's my go to game when i've nothing else on or just want to kick back and have a bit of fun.

Truly don't understand all the hate it gets on this board, its one of the most popular games on the market for a reason, its a good game. I could (and do) play Resurgence all day with my group its a ton of fun.
People hate success and mainstream. Especially forum geeks.

I can’t believe anybody can criticise the content or volume of it. The amount of current maps (reworks or not) and future maps to come, MP modes, zombies, single player campaign. The value is there, and keeps me entertained year on year.

But I’m not some arty-farty, blinkered hipster warrior trollop, so my opinion probably doesn’t count 😂

NickFire

I personally think MW3 is best version to play, but it was absolutely overpriced and the lower sales make sense.

There's a bigger issue though. This would be 2 of last 3 iterations coming in soft. I hope this is a lesson for the industry. Focus on your core customers with a fair price = potential for wild success. Remove either core focus or fair price = bad outcomes.

clarky

Gold Member
They'll have to really make a sick ass campaign again for me to buy another one, especially at full price.

MW2 I got as a birthday gift (didn't want to spend my own money) and I'm never buying another CoD until something really impressive happens.

MW2 is also SO much better than MW3 in terms of weapon handling, recoil and movement. I feel like a human with a gun in my hand, not a slippery snake that can vault walls at the speed of a German Sheppard.
Absolutley cannot agree with the bolded. They nerfed movement into the ground added a ton of visual recoil and muzzle flash. MW2 was a mess hence the reverse course.

Warzone 2.0 played fucking terrible because of the changes they brought in with II. Almost killed the goose.

Last edited:
Top Bottom