• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanathus

I really don't get the point of the battletag list. Are people actually adding random GAFfers on the list to their friends list and inviting them to play?

blainethemon#1826

already played the shit out of the beta, don't know if i'm even going to play it at all anymore until release...but when the game comes out i'm going to be on it constantly

Got the beta today. Beat the beta as a Monk in 3 hours. It was really fun. Normal difficulty seemed too easy.

Replays cut that time in at least half, especially if you skip conversations. If you don't fill out the map and rush to the end, the beta can be completed even faster.

Still, 3 hours is about what it took me my first playthrough, subsequent maybe done in 1:20 on relatively leisurely runs (from level 1). You're not going to be listening to everything and absorbing all the ambience, modifying settings, etc. after the first time.

IceMarker

I really don't get the point of the battletag list. Are people actually adding random GAFfers on the list to their friends list and inviting them to play?

It's simply for reference, it will especially come in handy when I want to re-add all my NeoGAF friends currently in beta when the game is released at retail.

NZNova

Just got the beta yesterday, beat it as a wizard in a couple hours. Good times were had, although I didn't like having to choose between magic missiles/electric thingie and the frost beam and arcane orb... is there no fast way to switch between them without going through the skills screen?

Calidor

Only 1 month to go until Diablo 3

longest month of my life. I have beat the beta soooo many times....

Now, how are you guys playing the game on launch day? if you choose to play in public games, I assure you that everyone will be rushing their way to Act IV Inferno.
Myself I'd like to play co-op it with my brother but he's probably going to be really busy around that time.
Instead I believe that I'll be playing the single player campaign on my first run, since I'd like to explore the maps, listen to the conversations and do all the questing.

Valnen

Now, how are you guys playing the game on launch day? if you choose to play in public games, I assure you that everyone will be rushing their way to Act IV Inferno.
Myself I'd like to play co-op it with my brother but he's probably going to be really busy around that time.
Instead I believe that I'll be playing the single player campaign on my first run, since I'd like to explore the maps, listen to the conversations and do all the questing.

I won't be touching anything but private games until nightmare is unlocked. I will remain as unspoiled as possible.

kirblar

Just got the beta yesterday, beat it as a wizard in a couple hours. Good times were had, although I didn't like having to choose between magic missiles/electric thingie and the frost beam and arcane orb... is there no fast way to switch between them without going through the skills screen?
You can switch to "advanced" mode and put them on your hotbar. They're actively trying to discourage "skill swapping" based on encounters.

BattleTag: Zeouter#2918

Finally got it fully installed and updated (bit of an issue with client forcing me to move the directory on the top folder of the C: Drive.
Now unable to login. Understandable, considering the load, but still, I want to plaaaay.

will i need to start the game first on normal difficulty on release or i can start the game on nightmare or other setting?

Normal unlocks Nightmare.
Nightmare unlocks Hell.
Hell unlocks Inferno.

I believe the progression was stated as something like 1-30: Normal, 30-45: Hell, 45-60: Nightmare. 60+/Endgame: Inferno.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Yeah I think everybody should go through the game in single player the first time on Normal. You can go at your own pace in exploring the story and I actually kinda like having the dialogue with the followers.

Aesthet1c

Aesthet1c#1327

Please add me to the list. I'm not in beta, but will be playing this heavily on release.

I just barely missed battle tag #1337

I'll probably co-op with my brother, possibly some others if they express any interest. I'm usually pretty patient, so I usually finish all my business in town and then wait at the gates/waypoints. I know a lot of people aren't keen on that though so I don't co-op with many people at all.

forrest

formerly nacire
Yeah I think everybody should go through the game in single player the first time on Normal. You can go at your own pace in exploring the story and I actually kinda like having the dialogue with the followers.

This is what I'll be doing. There will be way more time afterwards to have all of the multiplayer fun you want. However, I just want to experience the story and the full scope of the game the first time through. When it's time for Nightmare, then it's on!

Also, when it comes time for serious progression and farming, I'd love to group with some of the people here who are more interested in full clears, etc. than just rushing through everything. I prefer patience and teamwork as opposed to faster single minded play. I really hope the end game pushing the "teamwork" factor making you really have to come together to accomplish the progression.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Loved Diablo 1 & 2 and put an ungodly amount of hours (years) into those games.

Got into D3 Beta yesterday and played for about 3-4 hours. I need to play it a lot more because I could NOT get into it. The biggest hurdle for me was going back to click-to-move and lack of camera control I have gotten so used to in other games. Frustrated me a lot, so much so that I really wanted to stop many times.

Everything else was awesome (hence why I played for so long).

I will power through it a lot more this weekend and see where I end up.

Teknoman

Same here, but i'll leave my game open for friends only. That way if someone happens to be around the same level/point in the story, we can just proceed from there. GAF was pretty cool about going through the storyline at a decent pace when we revisited Diablo 2 last year.

With everyone being new to the story, i'd expect the same this time. Random on the other hand, definitely wait till you beat the game once.

This is what I'll be doing. There will be way more time afterwards to have all of the multiplayer fun you want. However, I just want to experience the story and the full scope of the game the first time through. When it's time for Nightmare, then it's on!

Also, when it comes time for serious progression and farming, I'd love to group with some of the people here who are more interested in full clears, etc. than just rushing through everything. I prefer patience and teamwork as opposed to faster single minded play. I really hope the end game pushing the "teamwork" factor making you really have to come together to accomplish the progression.

Always one to go for a full clear. Feels more satisfying, and its never boring since most layouts seem random.

TylerD

You can mark me down for the full clear style of play as well. Everything must die and most every interactive object should be destroyed. :)

Dysun

Played 4 classes through the beta so far I'd rank them
Barb > DH > Monk = Wizard

Definitely gonna make a Barb at release

I wish it was May 15th

jinutsu

Neo Member
Played 4 classes through the beta so far I'd rank them
Barb > DH > Monk = Wizard

Definitely gonna make a Barb at release

I wish it was May 15th

Interesting. So far I've played DH, Wizard, and about 2/3rds of a run with a Monk. I'd put DH and Wizard on the same level with a slight edge to Wizard. Monk is well behind both. I'm going to finish the run with the Monk but so far it's been fairly bland with both main attacks being similar. I seem to be a little weaker than the other classes at this point too.

Did you make any of these runs pre-runes? Some of the Wizard runes were amazing... the lightning one that causes corpses to explode in particular.

Jackl

Feel free to add me Lacker#1531

I will be playing this game pretty heavily on release.

I'll either be doing Barb or DH. I thought about doing witchdoctor, but it just doesn't mesh with my favored play styles.

Dysun

Interesting. So far I've played DH, Wizard, and about 2/3rds of a run with a Monk. I'd put DH and Wizard on the same level with a slight edge to Wizard. Monk is well behind both. I'm going to finish the run with the Monk but so far it's been fairly bland with both main attacks being similar. I seem to be a little weaker than the other classes at this point too.

Did you make any of these runs pre-runes? Some of the Wizard runes were amazing... the lightning one that causes corpses to explode in particular.

I'd agree that Monk is pretty boring until you rune the kick move it really amped up the class for me. I just did these in the last 2 days since I got invited. I will try out Witch Hunter next to finish off sampling all 5 of them.

Flib

WD is so bad in the beginning, but by the time you reach level 9 and get soul harvest, they're ridiculous. Easily my fastest kill of the SK.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Anyone have any idea how this game performs on a 4870x2. Fucking card was top of the line when d3 was revealed. :(

Been wanting a damn beta key just so i can play this and get some performance feedback. Blizzard hates its most loyal minions.

iamblades

Anyone have any idea how this game performs on a 4870x2. Fucking card was top of the line when d3 was revealed. :(

Been wanting a damn beta key just so i can play this and get some performance feedback. Blizzard hates its most loyal minions.

I have a 4870x2, and it runs locked at 60 fps vsync with all high settings and AA at 1920x1200 in singleplayer. In massive battles on coop with 4 dudes, there is some stutter and framerate drop, but not terrible. Without V sync, you get crazy amounts of microstutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom