• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3: First Trailer-September 14th [Out Now]

Untracked

I'm the biggest fan of 1 & 2, so I'll pick it up for old times sake, but I'm just not feeling it at all.

I need more motivation than a random girl being kidnapped.

Darklord said:
The theme doesn't suit the game at all anymore.
Agreed.

R* What have you done? :(

Shaka

Oh man, we gonna be hearing this it's not in NY bullshit for a long time. It's gonna be a fun ride until the release date.

Chiggs

JohngPR said:
Some people are impossible to please.

The closer they stick to the original, the more derivative and unoriginal they are being and the farther away they go away from it, the more they are ruining the franchise.

For Christ sakes, let them make the game they want and decide if it sucks when you actually play it.

I like the fact that he's fat. If future trailers show "emotional eating" gameplay scenes and out of breath/stumbling animations, I will drive right on down to Gamestop and pre-order it.

I'd also be happy with Max getting the "meat sweats" at certain points during the game.

JohngPR said:

The closer they stick to the original, the more derivative and unoriginal they are being and the farther away they go away from it, the more they are ruining the franchise.

For Christ sakes, let them make the game they want and decide if it sucks when you actually play it.
Without the MP theme. Would you have known/or cared if this was the next Max Payne? Or just some other shooter?

Angry Fork

JohngPR said:

When it comes to Max Payne atmosphere and setting are more important to me than lol har har bullet time take out a bunch of random guyz cover time rocket launcher har har. You don't need to play the game to see the difference from MP1 and 2 to this game.

You can get that corny shit in any third person shooter. I loved Max Payne because everything else was different compared to other shooters. This is RE5 part 2 right now as far as I'm concerned.

Actually:

Full Hair and beard Max:

1ApUA.jpg

looks like:

crqQe.jpg

Jim Raynor from Starcraft... goota admit, he trims the beard better.

Fjordson

Oh shit, they used the theme!

So awesome to hear that narration again after all these years. Him shaving his head is a bit random in the trailer, but looking good otherwise. Those action scenes look amazing.

Still not hint of the flashback stuff. Dying to know what that's all about. March seems so far away now =(

SamuraiX-

JohngPR said:

Wtf?

There was nothing derivative or unoriginal about MP1 & MP2. No games were doing what they were doing back then, both in terms of gameplay and narrative.

Concept17

JohngPR said:

Yeah, its rather annoying. Hes bald and Africa is involved. Has to suck, right? My only concerns are with the engine feeling too GTA/RDRish.

Zeppelin

Didn't feel very Max Payne to me but I guess it'll probably turn out alright (gameplay wise). Not sure how interested I am in this game at this point...

A "shit is bad there yo" story set in South America is probably the most unoriginal thing you can do in 2011 so yes I'd rather have another Max Payne set in NYC.

KageMaru

Lack of diving while shooting = fail. I'll remain open minded, loved MP1 and 2, but not terribly excited for this so far.

uh, i thought there would be some more emotional weight behind the shaved head. :(

"WHOOPS HAVE TO SAVE GIRL" *SHAVE HEAD*

oh well, still excited

Something about it seems very incongruous. Hm. I really want to like this. I think if they want a change of theme they need to go the whole way and drop his raspy soliloquies and the Italian mafia-esque nostalgia theme. They can't try to keep the fans from whining and go in a different direction (São Paulo, no less) all in one shot. What was the other game that got completely fucked because the devs let the fanbabies have their say? I forget...

JCtheMC

KageMaru said:
Lack of diving while shooting = fail. I'll remain open minded, loved MP1 and 2, but not terribly excited for this so far.

There's a falling while shooting bit in the trailer.

JohngPR said:

Yeah you right.
It could have been worse.

We could have gotten a visceral First Person Shooter.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Backfoggen said:
A "shit is bad there yo" story set in South America is probably the most unoriginal thing you can do in 2011 so yes I'd rather have another Max Payne set in NYC.

would be much more derivative and unoriginal if it was set in NY but you guys are on a roll so I won't bother you.

KageMaru

JCtheMC said:
There's a falling while shooting bit in the trailer.

Oh ok, watched the trailer 3 times and thought that was a dead body falling. Now realize it's hobo Max diving to the left, never mind.

Still miss old Max. =/

Angry Fork

SamuraiX- said:
Wtf?

There was nothing derivative or unoriginal about MP1 & MP2. No games were doing what they were doing back then, both in terms of gameplay and narrative.
Exactly what i'm trying to say. People keep acting like MP1 and 2 have outstayed their welcome or something but NOTHING has come close since (or even tried).

I wish so bad we could get a Max Payne 3 by Remedy in NYC. It doesn't even have to be NYC it just has to be winter time, dirty, dreary, seedy, black, creepy, atmospheric etc. these are the buzz words that apply to MP1 and 2. When I think of MP3 I think of party, sunlight, riverboat, tank top, GTA4 clayface, colorful beach clothing, etc.

Backfoggen said:
subversus said:
would be much more derivative and unoriginal if it was set in NY but you guys are on a roll so I won't bother you.
Not at all, the environments in MP1 and 2 have rarely been used again. Just because GTA4 was in NYC doesn't mean anything. That NYC was completely different than the one in MP1 and 2.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i liked the idea of max being a fatty washout with bad skin doing morally reprehensible things for money, got bored as soon as the main arc kicked in.

bhlaab

highluxury said:
Well at least the trailer explains why he got bald.

the reason: he shaved his head. Well that wraps up that mystery!

trailer was nothing too upsetting but not too reassuring either. maxs character seems way off and his actors performance is kind of dicey under rockstars direction. he sounds like the movie trailer guy doing a shatner impression.

how bad is it that i've gone from thinking this game would be a crime to being a reasonably well done followup in the face of xcom and syndicate

Top Bottom