• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flora and Fauna 3D Field Guide [3DS] info

rpmurphy

Japanese title: 花といきもの立体図鑑
Release date: September 29, 2011 (JPN)
Price: 3800 yen
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Nintendo

One of the more overlooked titles from the 3DS conference, but it looks like a robust software that looks very useful for those outdoor hikes.

- 1286 species of plants, 386 insects, 166 birds and more, 2000 items in total
- encyclopedic information provided by Heibonsha
- pictures and 3D models
- library of insect and animal calls
- search by a variety of categories, such as color, size, season, location, etc.
- uses the 3DS's outer cameras to help identify flowers
- uses the gyro for looking at virtual galleries
- explore relationships between plants and animals
- quiz mode: test your flower-identification skills

Official site: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/asuj/index.html
Overview trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVmuXMjUUXc
CM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhM4mHn2NAQ

There's probably more information that I'm missing.

Screenshots from the 3DS conference site:

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
That looks really neat actually. I love encyclopedic database type things. Too bad it'll never be localized, I'm sure it's focused around Japanese flora/fauna.

rpmurphy

Tathanen said:
That looks really neat actually. I love encyclopedic database type things. Too bad it'll never be localized, I'm sure it's focused around Japanese flora/fauna.
Yeah, although there is a possibility that NoA might request for one to be made that's American-focused. We did end up getting a couple of Cooking Navi titles on the DS.

I would have loved this when I was living in Kyoto and would go hiking to try and find the forests and temples which apprently inspired Miyamoto for Zelda :D

It seems very cool!

It's a pity we are never going to play it, unless it turned to be a huge success in Japan.

Any road I reckon 3DS needs much stuff like this in Japan, so it seems like a smart move to me, hope it will sell well so we may expect more niche experiments in the future.

Thanks for the info! I was looking something about this software since I am writing an article for an Italian website and Nature 3D is one of the game of the topic. Is someone going to buy it? Is 3D implemented in someway outside object to observe and rotate (e.g. Pictures or videos)?

I do think 3DS needs also this kind of software from Nintendo, I'd like to see something similar for tourism, like guides which exploit the AR. Anyway, I'll check here for more information if someone is picking this up next week.

This is the type of software that, while awesome, is available on smartphones/tablets for $5 -$10.

I have an ipod touch loaded with field guides, which collectively probably cost less than what Nintendo will charge for this.

Oh look, an original IP/software concept, aimed at the expanded audience (Touch Generations audience)

But but but I thought that Nintendo were abandoning the "casual" gamer?

Looks cool anyhow, but if the DSi travel guide is any indication, chances are that we won't get it outside Japan. A shame really, I'd like to give this a try!

Vamphuntr

outunderthestars said:
This is the type of software that, while awesome, is available on smartphones/tablets for $5 -$10.

I have an ipod touch loaded with field guides, which collectively probably cost less than what Nintendo will charge for this.

Basically this. You're also better with a book since it will never run out of batteries. The 3DS battery's life is so short that it's next to pointless to bring during camping or long hike.

We do have to see the differences between the two, it's likely 3DS one has a bigger database, or more complete in terms of information; moreover it's in 3D and that may be a selling point for someone.

rpmurphy

Shiggy said:
How long until an iOS app which does just the same for a much lower price appears?
I dunno. Just for the Audobon bird guide it's $15 on the Apple App Store.

EDIT: Yeah, there's also a birds+mammals+trees+wildflowers one for $20. It looks like it's designed really at a more hardcore audience though from the content type and amount and user interface. The 3DS guide here seems designed for a more casual or younger demographic of nature observers so it provides the data in a different way.

Shiggy said:
How long until an iOS app which does just the same for a much lower price appears?

Depends on the content. I'm sure someone could come up with a cheap guide for iOS (or already has) but I remain to be convinced that you can produce cheap, original and content-rich stuff like this. Hitting two of the three is easy enough, but all three? You can dump iOS versions of your printed guides cheaply and easily, but producing original versions as rich as a print guide for the sub-$10 market? Not sure.

IMO, that's the big issue for the iOS market - you can push out lots of cheap, original stuff with little content, or you can port existing content over (essentially using the original release to subsidise it) but I don't see a market there yet that would support the costs involved in producing rich, extensive content for appropriate prices.

disco

And again - the main conclusion from iOS software is that it's not as good as anything on a dedicated gaming device. This will always be true by and large.

Kosh

discocaine said:
And again - the main conclusion from iOS software is that it's not as good as anything on a dedicated gaming device. This will always be true by and large.

Games I can agree with to an extent, but not for this sort of stuff. lol

Famassu

If they made a localized release (for Europe/Northern Europe), I'd be very much interested in this. I really need to brush up my recongintion skills in regards to plants & birds.

MLH

I've always thought this is the type of improvement I would like to see added to Animal Crossing; the museum was enjoyable but the lack of detail made it a bit pointless.

Anyway this looks pretty cool, especially the flower identification, assuming it works well.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
There are field guides on iOS, but the good ones tend to be in the $30 range.

The use of cameras to ID plants is a really good idea. Wonder how effective it is.

Deku

Banned
rpmurphy said:
Honestly, I don't think so, if you mean separating it out between flowers, trees, birds, animals, etc. The virtual gallery and especially the relationship features that's in this software depends on the availability of all of the different data. It's demonstrated in this part of the overview video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVmuXMjUUXc#t=3m01s

I'm just lamenting NOA's pricing. DS used to have a $20 line of touch generation games. This would fit that branding. They've now gone with $40 or bust.

Deku said:
I'm just lamenting NOA's pricing. DS used to have a $20 line of touch generation games. This would fit that branding. They've now gone with $40 or bust.

They haven't released any Touch Generations style games yet (Nintendogs was never a Touch Generations game and the original DS game was released at the full $30 price) So far, this is the only retail 3DS game that would fit this branding and it's being released at budget price in Japan.

I wouldn't go blaming NOA for anything yet. If there is a price discrepency, then you can moan.

rpmurphy

Deku said:
I see. They're putting this one out at a budget price though (even for DS games I think), so maybe it's a sign that they will start supporting software with a wider range of retail prices.

rpmurphy said:
I see. They're putting this one out at a budget price though (even for DS games I think), so maybe it's a sign that they will start supporting software with a wider range of retail prices.

That is what Iwata said that he wanted to accomplish with the 3DS. A market that can support all types of games (from big to mid and low budget)

fernoca

Deku said:
Though, isn't NOA's pricing the same as NOJ's pricing? The price of this is 3800 yen which is around $40 in the US; so is not like NOA is ripping off people. You bet that the moment NOJ makes a 1500 yen game; NOA will release it at $20. Like the "touch generations" games you mentioned, though not all those "generations" games costed $20. Nintendogs , Hotel Dusk and a few others costed $30; yet were still part of that label.

On topic, this looks and sounds rather neat. Doubt they release it in the US; but hope they do.

Shahadan

Flora and Fauna 3D

Pope3.jpg

Edit : Either you didn't catch the joke, or you're too young, or you all put me on ignore list I don't know but I'm upset !

Shiggy said:
Tut tut come on now, this is nonsense really isn't it?
If an iOS app 'did the same' there's no way it would be a much lower price.
Plus the presentation would likely be far worse (no cooking iOS app is anywhere near as well designed as Nintendo's Cooking Navi for example) and wouldn't be in 3D of course which, seeing how well it works when taking 0.3 megapixel stills, I can imagine would work wonderfully well in software such as this.

fernoca said:
Though, isn't NOA's pricing the same as NOJ's pricing? The price of this is 3800 yen which is around $40 in the uS; so is not like NOA is ripping off people. You bet that the moment NOJ makes a 1500 yen game; NOA will release it at $20. Like the "touch generations" games you mentioned, though not all those "generations" games costed $20. Nintendogs , Hotel Dusk and a few others costed $40; yet were still part of that label.

On topic, this looks and sounds rather neat. Doubt they release it in the US; but hope they do.

This is a budget title in Japan. 3DS games usually retail for around 5,800 yen/$76 (yes, the Yen really is that strong!)

fernoca

Nuclear Muffin said:
This is a budget title in Japan. 3DS games usually retail for around 5,800 yen.
Yep, but is not like there's a big discrepancy on actual pricing. What I'm trying to say (in bad english and everything) is that if this costs $40 in the US; it wouldn't be that crazy since it's technically what it costs in Japan. Even when the other 3DS games costs more.

And blaming NOA for the price, doesn't make sense as they usually price things accordingly to the Japanese prices, sometimes less.

EDIT:
Also yep; if they do follow tradition since the difference is around $20 in price.
5,800 yen = $75
3,800 yen = $49

This could be a $20 3DS game; so we'll see.

Truth101

Banned
fernoca said:
Yep, but is not like there's a big discrepancy on actual pricing. What I'm trying to say (in bad english and everything) is that if this costs $40 in the US; it wouldn't be that crazy since it's technically what it costs in Japan. Even when the other 3DS games costs more.

And blaming NOA for the price, doesn't make sense as they usually price things accordingly to the Japanese prices, sometimes less.

Uh... If it was released in NOA it would be a budget price too. There is a reason it is a budget price in japan and that reason exists in the NA market also.

rpmurphy

BorkBork said:
There are field guides on iOS, but the good ones tend to be in the $30 range.

The use of cameras to ID plants is a really good idea. Wonder how effective it is.
From the videos, it looks in a way similar to how the Mii Creator works: the picture brings up a bunch of possibilities based on a few key factors (shape, color, size, and month), and then you narrow down the choices by inputting additional attributes. In the overview video, the initial capture of the picture brings up over 100 possibilities! Doesn't look too bad though.

fernoca

Truth101 said:
Uh... If it was released in NOA it would be a budget price too. There is a reason it is a budget price in japan and that reason exists in the NA market also.
But that's what I'm saying. Though re-reading, guess I forgot to add a few things in the spanish-to english translation.

Guess it's one of those days. Heck, have been banned in prior occasions for similar things; even when I'm agreeing with others; so I'll watch carefully what I write today. :p

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well, in Japan it already is at a lower price: 3800 Yen instead of normal Nintendo 3DS software price, 4800 Yen.
And... it is already near / in Amazon top100.
With the new 3DS price, and especially with its hardware sales ( 50k territory, PS2 numbers in its best period, while 3DS' one is yet to come ), it could surprise. Like Art Academy, maybe...

Prez

Are you guys serious? There are thousands of guides that are much better than this at a fraction of the price, but now you're suddenly interested?

rpmurphy

Stabbie said:
Are you guys serious? There are thousands of guides that are much better than this at a fraction of the price, but now you're suddenly interested?
There are very few choices on Android. Very few as in one.

outunderthestars said:

Is this more a virtual book than a software with camera identification, quizzes and the possibility to watch all the species from different angles?

Anyway, european fauna and flora are pretty large, I've always dreamed a complex software like this since I have many books but it is not feasible to bring them on vacation, and they don't have stuffs as the voices and the like.

Top Bottom