• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obscure and Overlooked SNES and Genesis/Megadrive Games

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Trumpets said:
588307_59815_front.jpg

1-3979_3.png

One of my favourite games and totally overlooked. Best soundtrack ever.

Have you ever played Solstice on the NES? I believe this was the sequel to that game. I am only going off from what I vaguely remember from Nintendo Power.

Some of my favorite obscure gems from this generation are:
SANRIO SMASH BALL
sanrio_smash_ball.png

ROCKY RODENT
rocky-rodent-20090105021527231_640w.jpg

PAC-MAN 2: THE NEW ADVENTURES (somewhat known but no one I knew really played it except myself)
s7012fe85afabc6411cee0678983e728d.jpg

BLACKTHORNE (maybe not that obscure due to Blizzard activity)
44406-Blackthorne_(U)(Mode7)-2.jpg

TAZ-MANIA (really fun arcade game even though I was jealous of the Genesis Taz games, I would say actually a far amount of Looney Tunes and with especially Tiny Toons games were pretty fun during this generation)
0.jpg

Jamie OD

Uniracers.png

Uniracers (Unirally in Europe) was a 2D racing game with a focus on performing mid-air tricks and stunts for speed boosts. It was a lot of fun and I wondered why the game never got much attention.

Looking at the game info on Wikipedia, there's a paragraph about how the game developers lost a court case to Pixar because they copied the unicycle designs from a Pixar short. As a result Nintendo had to stop producing extra cartridges and only 300,000 copies of the game were made.

Hunter-Zero said:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/1/586081_88570_front.jpg[IMG]

One of the best sci-fi rpg that i played in my life, Mass Effect pales in comparison with this one.

It uses a mixture of isometric an 2d view, the graphics are bad, but the game is really great, character creation using a dice rolling system, varied skills, turn based battles using a wide range of weapons, space battles, several sidequests, space travel with tons of places to visit like alien worlds, asteroids, space stations, derelict ships... it´s awesome.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gJHHUeMrBs[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeiytu5loDM&NR=1[/url][/QUOTE]
Ouch, looks like they ported over the garish EGA graphics of the original DOS version without a single nod towards the Genesis's larger palette, talk about frighteningly lazy. I keep on reading good things about this game, but man do I loathe the EGA color palette.

571008_32774_front.jpg

Rushing Beat Shura. Most people know it better as the bastardization The Peace Keepers. Shura is a better version for many reasons. Wish somebody would translate it because the story in it is way different than the story The Peace Keepers tells.

Metal%20Combat%20-%20Falcon%27s%20Revenge-1.png

Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge. The best use of the Super Scope in the history of the peripheral and is one hell of a justification in owning one. A shame that Nintendo can't/won't put it up on VC due to emulation issues. This is just a kick ass game I know deserves more attention. An assist trophy in the next SSB would be a wonderful start in the right direction.

Twisted_Tales_of_Spike_McFang_SNES_ScreenShot1.jpg

The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang. A really cool action RPG with a lot of charm and heart. Really easy to get into but gets a bit hard due to some changes during localization. But the fun outshines all its small flaws.

And I see all the love Buster Busts Loose is getting so in turn I'd suggest playing the SNES version of Animanics.

Animaniacs.gif

There is a SEGA version as well but IMO its not better than the SNES version is. The SNES version focuses more on the 3 working as a team vs the SEGA version where they have different abilities and you have to figure out how to use each of them for the correct situation.

Starflight for the Genesis - I kinda doubt gamers nowadays would have the patience to play a game like this now. I didn't think I did back in the day but I got hooked. You're a budding starship captain that needs to mind minerals on planets to buy upgrades to his ship and explore the galaxy. It was awesome.

Steel Empire for the Genesis - I'm not a big fan of shoot-em-ups but I liked this one and surprisingly, it's from Flying Edge, better known as Acclaim.

Shaneus said:
Sub-Terrania

I clicked this thread thinking I for sure was going to be the first to mention this one. I had never heard anyone mention it when I rented it and was completely blind to it. Loved it.

Hunter-Zero said:
Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday

Another game I wanted to recommend and pretty much knew that no one would have mentioned. Glad to see I was wrong.

Fantastic WRPG.

kokujin said:
Almost the entire Genesis library is overlooked.
El Viento
El_Viento_GEN_ScreenShot1.gif

I remember El Viento and it is an under-appreciated gem. Actually, a lot of Wolf Team's games were under-appreciated, like:

Earnest Evans, Arcus Odyssey, and Sol-Deace, another shoot-em-up that I absolutely loved even though I wasn't really a fan.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Correctomundo said:
http://www.wwgaming.com/games-images/dungeons-dragons-warriors-eternal.jpg

Man, I loved this like one of my children. Damned if anyone ever talked about it. I think I may be the only one who even liked it.

LOOOOOOVED this game! As a kid, I had been following it ever since it was originally unveiled as a Sega CD game. It was eventually broken down to a regular Genny cart, but damn me if the game didn't have some of the best voices on the platform! I had every single dungeon mapped out on graph paper, and had even jotted down my party's post-endgame checksum values, which were to be used to transfer them over to the sequel that never happened! Crazy ending!

Phonomezer said:
*rings of power stuff*

This game has perpetually been on my radar, but I never got around to buying it. Every few years I revisit the idea, but have never managed to get sold on it. Strangely, your post has me leaning towards 'buy' for the first time in at least a decade! Time to research it a bit more...

McCloud?

Metal Marines (SNES)

tba5k.jpg

yPnzl.gif

XRVTL.gif

It was sort of a cross between Populous and Battleship, with mechs thrown in for good measure. For something resembling an RTS, it's amazing how well they got it to work with a Super Nintendo controller.

thebeeks

Banned
ReXXXSoprano said:
Twisted_Tales_of_Spike_McFang_SNES_ScreenShot1.jpg

The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang. A really cool action RPG with a lot of charm and heart. Really easy to get into but gets a bit hard due to some changes during localization. But the fun outshines all its small flaws.

I was going to come in and post Spike McFang. Good to see someone got to it before me.

Trumpets

AlternativeUlster said:
Have you ever played Solstice on the NES? I believe this was the sequel to that game. I am only going off from what I vaguely remember from Nintendo Power.

It is, you're right. The puny NES couldn't achieve the atmosphere generated in Equinox though, so it isn't half as good.

kswiston

The game my avatar is from:

E.V.O._-_Search_for_Eden_Coverart.png

EVO is a cool side-scrolling action rpg/platformer hybrid. You fight your way through 5 geological periods (age of fish, amphibians, reptiles, mammals, and humans) evolving your body parts with EVO points earch from enemies to become more effective in your environment. The game has a fun art-style, is (very) loosely based on the history of earth, and features dinosaurs (which is always a plus). Really, my only complaint would be the uneven difficulties of the boss fights.

Check it out!

evobee.gif

evobront.gif

daevv

Came to post D&D Warriors of the Eternal Sun for Genesis and E.V.O. for SNES but I see some fine gentlemen already did. Kudos!

I still play those games today on my PSP emulators! In fact I played D&D just lastnight!

~d

Dunan

My favorite SNES baseball game as a kid was Extra Innings:

588314_40198_front.jpg

The mechanics were basic, but it was so much fun to play, and the music and sound were, for 1991, totally amazing.

proyakyuganbaleague2.gif

The Japanese original used parodies of Nippon Pro Baseball teams and replicated their 12-team league, but the American version didn't, so they named all the players after scientists, painters, politicians, video game magazine editors (Nick Des Barres, Ed Semrad, Sushi-X, etc.), musicians, mathematicians, authors, you name it. My favorite team was the scientifically-minded Bunkers (themselves renamed from the Kintetsu Buffaloes):

eicameos2.gif

Players had basic stats which would then vary based on the player's mood for that game, which ranged from an unhappy red face to an ecstatic, put-me-in-Coach blue and white flashing smile.

The anime style wasn't common at all outside Japan in those days, and it was fun. There were cheerleaders who would stand on the dugout when you hit a home run:

ExtraInnings015.png

...and there were two different female fans who would have happy or surprised expressions on their faces when the result of the game was announced.

ExtraInnings024.png

This game was such a joy to play. It got two sequels that never made it out of Japan, Ganba League '3 and Ganba League 3. The latter ones incorporated trades, injuries, and jersey numbers for the players, but eventually the more popular Powerful Pro Yakyu franchise took over as the #1 cartoony baseball franchise.

And this is how I feel about Extra Innings not being popular anymore:

eiloser.gif

Another vote for Crusader of Centy/Ragnacenty/Soleil. Great game. For anyone interested, I would suggest the European translation (as "Soleil"). The US translation is quite sloppy, though it's perfectly playable.

250px-Rolo_to_the_Rescue_cover.jpg

Don't let the kiddie aesthetic fool you. This is an incredibly solid and challenging platformer.

dave_d

charsace said:
eternal_champions_gen_screenshot1.jpg

I don't understand why Sega doesn't use this franchise anymore. It unintentionally inspired a ton of combo heavy fighting games.

Oh, because if they used it then it might make Yu Suzuki feel bad.

dave_d

kevinski said:
I'm not sure about Mega Drive, but I seem to recall that Budokan only works on Genesis consoles that included Altered Beast as a pack-in. As such, I've never played it.

All I remember is that at one point trying to repeatedly bash an unarmed guy with either a bo staff or nunchucks. My guy consistently lost because he got tired.

King%27s_Bounty_Coverart.png

Kings_Bounty_GEN_ScreenShot2.jpg

One of my favorite Genny games. May not be totally obscure, but its fantastic. Random generation of enemies, creature lairs, and other such things. Did get a sequel recently which was fantastic.

Also gonna throw out:

robotrek.jpg

robotrek_02.png

RoboTrek was one of Quintets less-discussed titles (at least to me). It was an RPG that featured Lunar-like tactical battles which incorporated an amount of time that you had to input codes to do combos to attack the enemy, or button mash to attack them. You could customize your robot with many types of weapons - guns, swords, axes, bombs - each with their own abilities. You could have three 'bots in battle which allowed you to mix and match abilities.

I don't think I ever beat it on SNES, but I got darned close to the end. At least in my mind, its a pretty long and involved game.

Ultratech

SmartBall
Smart_Ball_Cover.jpg

Smart%20Ball%20(2).gif

General Chaos
250px-General_Chaos_cover.jpg

generalchaos.gif

Bushi Seiryuuden: Futari no Yuusha
bushi-4.png

Late-gen Super Famicom game that was developed by Game Freak in 1997.

iidesuyo said:
http://www.insert-disk.com/images/stories/Sega_Mega_Drive_Covers/budokan%20sega%20mega%20drive%20cover.jpg

Was it good? I don't remember, but it's forgotten, that's for sure.

Man, only game I ever had stolen from me as a kid. Still salty about it. Played it about 3 years ago, still a pretty decent game. Played a lot like Warlord on the C64 if you ever played that.

I believe some of the Way of the Samurai guys cut their teeth on this.

Edit: River City Ransom was pretty obscure back in the day. I was the only guy in my town that had it. We had many good times with RCR and Super Dodgeball.

Man, I loved that designer (except crash and the boys, fuck off)

33v0kee.png

Energy Breaker. Strategy RPG by Neverland that came out in 1996, late in the SFC's life, before the company kind of lost it. It's a great game, but you can tell it was rushed in places. I don't know how well-known it was in Japan, but most of what I've seen about it in the west relates to a few links to the Lufia series, which is a shame, because the game is more than a couple of cameos.

Lopson

Neo Member
Undead Line's insanely hard. You HAVE to know where every single enemy will be coming from, if you want to survive. It's not fun, it's a chore.

Energy Breaker's translation is still stalled, right? Haven't heard any news from the translator in a long time.

zmet

Lopson said:
Undead Line's insanely hard. You HAVE to know where every single enemy will be coming from, if you want to survive. It's not fun, it's a chore.
This game had me punching the stuffing out of my couch cushions because of its insane difficulty. But I finally beat the son of a bitch a couple of months back.

NukeDukem

Banned
Shed_a_Ninja said:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/4/366854_57114_front.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/1/588651_40382_front.jpg

FUCK YEAR SHADOWRUN

I dont have the boxart for it, but robotrek was one of my favorite RPG's for the SNES was Robotrek.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Damn interesting thread. I haven't seen or played a lot of games here. I think every SNES game I was into, wasn't exactly a secret find.

Top Bottom