• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obscure and Overlooked SNES and Genesis/Megadrive Games

xPbnL.jpg

As long as I live I will extol the virtues of Pop'n Twinbee. I bought it because I loved the bright cover, at the young age of 12 or so. It was either that or Cool Spot, and this really stood out to me. It was the first really "anime" styled game I'd bought.

Wonderful, wonderful game with excellent music and really nice bright cute graphics. It's a travesty that I never see anyone talk about it.

The NES version gets a few releases here and there on virtual consoles and the like, but it's the SNES' Pop'n Twinbee which really brought the series to life. The arcade titles aren't too bad either, but I still find Pop'n the best of the Twinbee bunch.

Although actually, was this actually released in the US anyway? UK gamer here :p

Q7RBh.png
5uc4G.png

OWpmJ.png
F9OP5.png

Wonderful little skit animations after every stage, too :D

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Man, this is in no way obscure.

well, not just that - i'm confused by almost all the games listed as obscure! But as someone pointed out - that's probably because i'm an old fart gamer :D

Some more games :

Gley Lancer (MD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT-nQAxOd2M

Metal Warriors (SNES)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P85-pgQtYS8

Legend (SNES)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fnes665LEo

Miracle Girls (SNES)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIxtzEWrkzs

Magical Pop'n (SNES)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzEIEcwoZQA

Do Re Mi Fantasy (SNES)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySl0GIG9IUc

Gurume Sentai (SNES)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrg9Iqi57_s

Zenki - Battle Raiden (SNES)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5nIPz1dFgY

PetrCobra

goldenenergy said:
Another one:

Wiz 'n' Liz

Wiz%27n%27Liz.jpg

Very fast-paced arcade-type platformer. Not a great game but it's fun, with an interesting aesthetic and a cool soundtrack. Great two-player mode too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px-WdFMeYy8

Edit: apparently this game was developed by Bizarre Creations, who also developed the PGR series, Blur, Geometry Wars, etc.
Glad someone mentioned this. What do you mean it was not a great game? It definitely was. I mean, it IS.

One of my all-time favorite platformers. Very original. The music is great and the gameplay is furious. So many secret minigames, too... I had a table on a piece of paper with all the fruits to remember the results of mixing them.

When you finished the game on the hardest difficulty, an even harder difficulty appeared that included all the bosses of the other difficulties. That one was really difficult! But I finished it anyway in the end.

kevinski

Banned
DonMigs85 said:
This game any good? Saw it while going through an ancient EGM.

1217796606-00.jpg

It's better on Neo-Geo, but yeah, it's supposed to be a good game. Bear in mind that it's played from an isometric perspective, though, so it can sometimes be difficult to judge whether or not you're gonna get hit by certain things.

butanebob

Neo Member
Although actually, was this actually released in the US anyway? UK gamer here :p

I love Pop 'N" Twinbee! And yeah pretty sure it was PAL and JAP only i'm afraid. There was a semi sequel in Japan on snes also, it was some kind of platformer i think.

butanebob said:
I love Pop 'N" Twinbee! And yeah pretty sure it was PAL and JAP only i'm afraid. There was a semi sequel in Japan on snes also, it was some kind of platformer i think.

That one definitely made it to the UK too - Pop 'N' Twinbee's Rainbow Bell Adventures. It was a pretty fun platformer that retained the same cutesy style, although it wasn't very challenging. I loved that you could fly your guy all the way up into space, which I thought was a really cool, albeit pointless, touch.

Many of my first choices were already posted, so these two are my contributions. (Happy to see Granada listed...love that game.)

Metal Marines (SNES)
ug1cC.jpg

Excellent if simple single-player turn-based action-tactics game. Always wanted to see a more developed sequel, though the MS-DOS version, IIRC, included two-player versus over null modem/crossover cable.

Wings of Wor (Gen)
Kw52o.jpg

Older-styled horizontal SHMUP with a good soundtrack and lots of what Genny was good at and that was tons of sprites on screen and lots of raster/line-scroll effects.

Haunted

It's a fairly old thread to bump, but I didn't want to open up a new one for just one game I found again. I recently came across this old beaut at a flea market and the nostalgia doors just opened up and memories came flooding in as soon as I saw the cover (it was the Amiga version who uses the same artwork).

So yeah, anyone else play Ocean Software's Pushover (1992)?

snes-pushover-box-front.jpg

Push-Over_1.png
Push-Over_2.png

Fun little puzzle game about dominoes with various attributes. To be honest, I don't even know how obscure this thing was or if it was fairly well known in England - the Amiga version was sponsored by Quavers® and features plenty of in-game placement of the snack in all the cutscenes. :p

Maaseru

Banned
joeandmac-snes.jpg

^ Loved this gem when I was a kid. Scrolling beat-em ups were the order of the day back then. SO many good ones.

ghibli99

Does The Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES) count? I'm playing that right now, and while it's starting to feel a little rough around the edges (early 16-bit era), it's still a lot of fun, and the music is fantastic. I never did finish this back when it was new, so I'm hoping to fix that this time.

joeandmac-snes.jpg

^ Loved this gem when I was a kid. Scrolling beat-em ups were the order of the day back then. SO many good ones.

Joe and Mac was amazing. Love that game.

My contribution.

osOvM.png

exOYv.png

hdegj.png

wZ35xl.jpg

One of my favorite games ever. I would do terrible things for an HD remake.

Mieu

Waiwaiworldcover.jpg

I'd cut classes for this game. I really liked the first installment. For some reason, the sequel didn't really have the same fun this had.

Celine

Bump ?
Since the theme I must have already wrote something in here but I want to add Stunt Race FX.
It's not obscure (it's Nintendo) but it is an overlooked game IMO.
It's true that technology bog down the experience (you need to adapt to the low framerate) but this game is 100% Nintendo arcade goodness IMO.

I'd been thinking about hooking up my SNES yet again recently, and Hurricane Isaac effectively robbing me of cable for 5 days was all the excuse I needed. When the power came back after 3, I managed to find all my associated hook-ups and games, and although it looks a bit assy on a 46" screen, I've been enjoying the heck out of it.

I don't really own anything obscure, but this timely bump is reminding me of a lot of games I'd forgotten. Is ebay/craigslist the only real logical source for cartridges anymore?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Posted about Spanky in this thread early, but I just wanted to mention two of the most overlooked games on the Super NES might be Kirby's Dream Land 3 and Kirby's Dream Course.

Dream Land 3 was a very late life Super NES game and it seems like the one mainline Kirby game that no one has played. It's actually a very cool title with a unique look, lots of animal friends with cute animations and very tricky puzzles that seem lacking in recent Kirby games. There's a few nods to other Nintendo franchises, including an entire stage devoted to fighting metroids.

And Dream Course doesn't seem to get a lot of love, but I love the game. It's something of a golf / puzzle game hybrid and it's actually great for multiplayer. It wasn't originally a Kirby game at all, but the Kirby style + enemies do lend itself to the game. Few people will ever play the additional stages, as it requires you to score gold, or silver on all eight of the worlds. And that's tough. Really fun though.

Reclaimer

I'd been thinking about hooking up my SNES yet again recently, and Hurricane Isaac effectively robbing me of cable for 5 days was all the excuse I needed. When the power came back after 3, I managed to find all my associated hook-ups and games, and although it looks a bit assy on a 46" screen, I've been enjoying the heck out of it.

I don't really own anything obscure, but this timely bump is reminding me of a lot of games I'd forgotten. Is ebay/craigslist the only real logical source for cartridges anymore?

Try Amazon. Some of the 3rd party and individual sellers have great deals on carts in awesome condition. I bought a mint, like new, box and manual and all, Yoshi's Island off there for $25. Awesome deal. You can get cart-only deals for less.

ghibli99

Just wanted to say once again that this thread is fantastic. Even within the first few posts, there are games that I have honestly never heard of, and can't wait to look into more. Appreciate everyone's contributions!

Top Bottom