• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III to Ship in Early 2012

Kifimbo

PR. Sorry if old.

Hell Freezes Over -- Diablo® III to Ship in Early 2012
Blizzard Entertainment extends beta test for hotly anticipated action role-playing game

IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Despite a sterling record of always hitting its release targets, Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that the expected launch window for Diablo® III, the next title in the company’s critically acclaimed series of action role-playing games, will be moving into early 2012.

“With every game we make, the temptation is always very strong to launch as soon as possible. However, we didn't put so many years of work into Diablo III to release a game that was almost ready”

."With every game we make, the temptation is always very strong to launch as soon as possible. However, we didn't put so many years of work into Diablo III to release a game that was almost ready," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "The beta test is going very well, and we look forward to making the most of the extra time we're taking to deliver an experience that lives up to our vision for the game and the expectations of our players. Next year is going to be an incredibly busy one for Blizzard, and we hope an incredibly fun one for Blizzard gamers."

Blizzard will use the additional time to extend the Diablo III closed beta test, which began September 20, potentially adding more testers than initially projected. Players who have an active Battle.net® account with any Blizzard game attached to it should visit Battle.net account management to opt in for a chance to participate in the beta test. Additional testing phases, as well as further details regarding the launch plans for the game, will be announced on the company’s Diablo III community website: www.Diablo3.com.

For more information about Diablo III, please contact Rob Hilburger in Blizzard public relations (rhilburger@blizzard.com).

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
man i had my money on this year with the beta n' all.

welp...torchlight by thanksgiving. les gogogogogo

Arulan

Despite the fact that I cannot wait to play Diablo 3, there are plenty of other amazing games coming out this year to occupy one's time (Dark Souls, TESV: Skyrim, etc.).

Although a beta invite would help...

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Not surprised in the slightest bit. Given how stacked the rest of the year is, I like this better. I'll just play Torchlight II to tide me over.

Silex

Wow, was really expecting that Blizzard will make it in this year.. A little disappointing, but I guess I was naive to trust Blizzard's timeline.

Ainaurdur

Momo said:
It's okay, take your time to remove the online only bullshit :)
Basically this.

Or at least reorient your message about the game to give full disclosure in how D3 is different from the Diablo we have known in the past.

V_Arnold

Torchlight 2. Help me get through the blackest night of the gaming.
Along with my Viper practice and Zerg struggles, help me through the darkest hour.

butter_stick said:
I bet someone $10 it would be delayed.

Great news!

I bet someone $5 that it would be out in December.

I'm sad, but with November the way it is and my already giant backlog, I'm also OK with this.

MrKnives

V_Arnold said:
Torchlight 2. Help me get through the blackest night of the gaming.
Along with my Viper practice and Zerg struggles, help me through the darkest hour.

I think they heard you are trying SC2 Zerg again so they decided to give you more time.

Canova

Banned
MoxManiac said:
Blizzard can release it whenever they want, it doesn't matter, it's going to sell 10000000000x regardless.

nah I don't think so.

The last Diablo game is what, 10-12 years ago, when PC gaming was still arguably bigger than console gaming. Now PC gaming is taking a backseat to consoles, and there are many console blockbusters coming out for the rest of 2011

Zeliard

Canova said:
nah I don't think so.

The last Diablo game is what, 10-12 years ago, when PC gaming was still arguably bigger than console gaming. Now PC gaming is taking a backseat to consoles, and there are many console blockbusters coming out for the rest of 2011

You are a crazy person. Diablo is enormous and will sell enormously.

DaBuddaDa

Canova said:
they'd be crazy to rush the game in this already packed 2011 schedule
Diablo/Blizzard doesn't bow to other games, other games bow to them. They could release the same day as Call of Duty for all they cared.

Kosma

Banned
Canova said:
nah I don't think so.

Canova
learned the lesson too late

Diablo 3 will keep selling for the next 5 to 10 years.

Thinking about it, I don't buy Diablo 3 NOT being done as the reason here.

{Conspiracy time!} I am betting that it is actually WoW patch 4.3 that won't be done as early as they'd like. Diablo is a game will cannibalize their own player base in WoW, and they count on patches like these to get mass re-subs. If people know that Diablo 3's release date is so close to the release of 4.3, they might not resub. {/Conspiracy time!}

Canova

Banned
Zeliard said:
You are a crazy person. Diablo is enormous and will sell enormously.

it will, but that's not exactly what the other guy said. he said Blizzard could put it anytime they want, and it would still sell gazillion. and I argued, it wouldn't. Let see if they dared to put it against MW3 or bF3

Derrick01

Banned
Momo said:
It's okay, take your time to remove the online only bullshit :)

Yup I can wait as long as it takes to remove that, I'm in no hurry for this game. I'm also glad it was pushed back as November is insane and December's only purpose is to save for the Steam sale.

DaBuddaDa

2012 is going to be a massive year for Blizzard. We'll see Diablo III, the next WoW expansion and Heart of the Swarm all in the same year.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
They would be stupid to launch MW3 and D3 in the same quarter. Plus more time to polish it.

Kosma

Banned
Canova said:
it will, but that's not exactly what the other guy said. he said Blizzard could put it anytime they want, and it would still sell gazillion. and I argued, it wouldn't. Let see if they dared to put it against MW3 or bF3

Diablo could release on Jesus' birthday and shops would open.

Wallach

Canova said:

On PC it'll kick the shit out of both of those games. It would do so even if they all released on the same day.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
JaseC said:
So, how about those ban bets?

I recall making a bet in a recent d3 thread, a couple of weeks/month or so ago, that if the game came 2011 I'd post a picture of my hairy ass.

In a way, I guess I'm to blame for the delay.

Top Bottom