• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro PSN Arc I tomorrow €4.99, Arc I-III Alundra finally coming

vireland

Okay, finally got confirmation this weekend. Arc the Lad I is going up on the European PSN for €4.99 *tomorrow*. Arc the Lad II follows in two weeks. Arc the Lad III and Alundra will be after that. Arc I - III are all €4.99 each. Don't know the pricing on Alundra yet.

It's been a long wait for these original Arc the Lad titles in Europe, but the wait is finally over, starting tomorrow. Thanks to the European fans for your support and patience! Be *sure* to complete the 50 level dungeon and save the game in Arc I before you start Arc II so you can import it, or you'll miss a very significant part of the Arc II storyline.

JJD

I already own all of then on US PSN, but I will double dip if it helps to bring more WD jewels
Dragon Force
to PSN.

RpgN

Vireland, do you know if Wild Arms 1 and 2 are coming to EU as well?

Thanks for the heads up, I'll double dip on all the games for the convenience to play them all in one account on my PSP :)

0 HP

arc the lad is pretty underrated. i don't even like srpgs that much and i wound up loving the early games on ps1. the atmosphere is great

arc110.jpg

arc113.jpg

arc16.jpg

arctheladcollectionntsc.jpg

arctheladcollectionntscback8ly.jpg

Radius

RpgN said:
Vireland, do you know if Wild Arms 1 and 2 are coming to EU as well?

Wild Arms 1 has already been confirmed on the official Playstation blog.

Finally Europe is getting some nice RPGs on PSN - will certainly get all three Arc games.

Tailzo

RpgN said:
They're the American versions, so pretty sure they're 60hz as well.
Cool, thanks. 50hz annoys me so much I can't get myself to buy PSone games anymore.

This is true for several old PAL systems. I recently bought Sonic the hedgehog for megadrive (the cart with the old console), and was surprised at how slow it was, and the music was out of synch... I'm used to playing it on the genesis collection in 60hz.

Hyuga

Banned
vireland said:
Okay, finally got confirmation this weekend. Arc the Lad I is going up on the European PSN for €4.99 *tomorrow*. Arc the Lad II follows in two weeks. Arc the Lad III and Alundra will be after that. Arc I - III are all €4.99 each. Don't know the pricing on Alundra yet.

It's been a long wait for these original Arc the Lad titles in Europe, but the wait is finally over, starting tomorrow. Thanks to the European fans for your support and patience! Be *sure* to complete the 50 level dungeon and save the game in Arc I before you start Arc II so you can import it, or you'll miss a very significant part of the Arc II storyline.
With spanish/german (etc.) subs???? :p

Great job, guys :)

zlatko

Banned
Arc the Lad games in the collection were fantastic. I loved buying WD games when I was kid, because I was always guaranteed my moneys worth. They started the epic collectors editions. I remember that Lad collection came with a pocket watch, and I still have it somewhere in a box.

Arc the Lad 2 is the best in the series by far and large. Long, tons of exploration and side quests, and one of the harder final bosses of my childhood.

Alundra goes without question as one of the best games on PS1. Definitely PS1's Zelda. Too bad they shit on it all with Alundra 2. :/

Angelcurio

I'll go a little be offtopic but, Victor, is there any chance we could see Megaman X3-X6 on the import store? Because i really doubt Capcom will put any of them on the normal store.

vireland

Angelcurio said:
I'll go a little be offtopic but, Victor, is there any chance we could see Megaman X3-X6 on the import store? Because i really doubt Capcom will put any of them on the normal store.

Seems like an unlikely scenario. I can check, but I assume that if Capcom US doesn't do it, they don't want it done.

vireland

Hyuga said:
With spanish/german (etc.) subs???? :p

Great job, guys :)

Straight up English only, sorry. Arc II and III, especially, have mountains of text and it would make no sense to localize for new languages at the price.

vireland

LiquidSolid said:
Aus and NZ releases, yay or nay? I'll assume nay cause that's how SCEE rolls.

I don't think that's happening with the EU release, but I'm not 100% sure. It's been discussed. I'll check. We've cleared it for worldwide, so there's really not a big reason why it shouldn't be there.

EDIT: Yes, AU and NZ are included in release.

Lain

I already own the Arc 1-3 published by Working Designs which I imported years ago, so no interest from me for them on PSN. Alundra, on the other hand, I might think about once it's out on Euro PSN.

Damn, I need to finish Arc 2 I got from Vic Ireland, I am so close to the end but Uncharted 3 beta interrupted me. Great game!

vireland said:
I don't think that's happening with the EU release, but I'm not 100% sure. It's been discussed. I'll check. We've cleared it for worldwide, so there's really not a big reason why it shouldn't be there.

EDIT: Yes, AU and NZ are included in release.
Oh wow, awesome. Thanks Vic. I won't be able to get them immediately (PS3's dead at the moment, Sony's sending a brand new replacement) but I'll make sure to at some point.

Oooh, I used to read about these Arc games. I had the PS2 release, a wierd strategy game thing. It'll be nice to finally get a chance to play these.

PetriP-TNT said:
Damn, I need to finish Arc 2 I got from Vic Ireland, I am so close to the end but Uncharted 3 beta interrupted me. Great game!

Same here. Finally slogged through the 50 level dungeon in Arc 1 and beat the game a few days ago. I am hoping the carry-over rewards are worth it in Arc 2 from the way Vic was talking about them. Also excited about Arc 3, as I never really gave it a chance.

Anyway, the perfect synthesis of JRPG and Strategy in these games. Well worth playing.

vireland

Shiloa said:
"Arc the Lad – PSOne (Import) – 100% discount until 2nd November"

Free for PS+!

Wow, that's a pretty generous perk for PS+ users in Europe. Since Sony's handling the promotion there, I wonder if they will do the same for Arc II and Arc III. Nice.

Aru

Suzzopher said:
Hey Vic, Arc the Lad is up on Euro PSN and it is the Japanese version.

Which means it's entirely in japanese ? How could they possibly sell a JRPG with no english text at all ?

Quixzlizx

Aru said:
Which means it's entirely in japanese ? How could they possibly sell a JRPG with no english text at all ?

It's just mislabeled.

Edit: Nevermind, I thought there were confirmations in the PSN release thread that the game was actually the NA version.

Spwn

Aru said:

I'm pretty sure they had no idea what the game's about. They just read it's about a lad named Arc and didn't give much more thought after that.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Spwn said:
Check the comments on the EU blog and you'll see it's no joke. Andy "assumed" that because it was branded as a "Japan import" it should be in Japanese.

Andy spins just as hard as Grace Chen. He spins any harder, Sony's dick is going to snap off.

What a snafu. More people need to enjoy Arc the Lad and Sony Europe fucked it up.

Dragon

Banned
JasonMCG said:
Is Alundra any good?

It's one of my favorite games ever. It has an engaging story with fun characters. If you like old school Zelda, you'll love the game. The jumping can be a bit frustrating sometimes with the way the 3D is done in the game, but that's really the only criticism I can levy.

Lily

Tbf that andy guy on the EU blog seems like a total idiot, 90% of his responses are "don't know" and he admits himself in this weeks replies that he has never even heard of chrono trigger and the ps1 cllassic "Croc". Throw in this mix up putting the wrong Arc the Lad version on the store and the guy is a total moron

vireland

TheSeks said:
Andy spins just as hard as Grace Chen. He spins any harder, Sony's dick is going to snap off.

What a snafu. More people need to enjoy Arc the Lad and Sony Europe fucked it up.

Yeah, we'll get it fixed, but it boggles the mind thinking about how this happened. We've been in touch with them through the whole process...

Suzzopher

vireland said:
Yeah, we'll get it fixed, but it boggles the mind thinking about how this happened. We've been in touch with them through the whole process...

SCEE are hopeless. They mess things up every single week. I've had a terrible week and was looking forward to losing some hours to a classic :(

This must affect your business too right? You need to crack some skulls.

Lionheart

This is truely the biggest failure of SCEE so far I think, what were they thinking?? I don't always agree with all the hate they get, I can understand it can take time to get releases over here and in general I'm very patient (don't care about slow releases so much, don't usually play the latest games anyway), but this... WTF?

This Andy guy seems new and I don't know if he's also the guy handling content, but in the comments he says he had never even heard of Chrono Trigger when asked about it. So, really, it doesn't surprise me if the team over there just assumed (because of the other Japanese PSN imports that had no English version) that it was only logical that Arc the Lad had to be a Japanese import as well, not even having a clue that there is an English version or that it is an RPG containing huge loads of text?

Hell, he keeps referring to the Plus section as completely separate, and I'm sure the Plus content team assumed it was going to be in English (logically) and considered it a great game to give away this month (which it is imo, never played it before, but I will definitely try it. Would have bought it, but it's a great bonus to see it free for Plus members).

Radius

Wow, even in this case SCEE found a way to rip us off. Got Arc I for free and bought Cho Aniki. Both are unplayable due to Japanese menus. I know it's not MonkeyPaw's fault but I won't even consider getting any further imports until I get the English versions of both games for the money I've paid.

Famassu

They didn't rip you off, in the case of Arc 1, they just screwed up. I'm sure they'll fix the situation soon enough. You'll just probably have to redownload the game.

That said, I'm glad I only have 0,25€ on my bank account, so I didn't buy this yet and be disappointed.

Radius said:
Wow, even in this case SCEE found a way to rip us off. Got Arc I for free and bought Cho Aniki. Both are unplayable due to Japanese menus. I know it's not MonkeyPaw's fault but I won't even consider getting any further imports until I get the English versions of both games for the money I've paid.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Cho Aniki Japanese in the US store as well?

Regardless, you'll find instructions for the game on their website - which includes the menu translation.

http://monkeypawgames.com/games/chou-aniki

vireland

Radius said:

Pretty much all the non-RPG Monkeypaw releases will have some Japanese. They put up English instructions on the monkeypaw website for those games, so they're definitely playable with the Japanese. RPGs, not so much. :)

Radius

I thought, they'd at least bother to translate the menu text in their releases. Oh well, gotta give it another chance... I hope it won't take an eternity to change the version of Arc 1. Knowing SCEE, they'll probably do exactly the same mistake with Arc 2 and 3 though ;)

vireland

Radius said:
I thought, they'd at least bother to translate the menu text in their releases. Oh well, gotta give it another chance... I hope it won't take an eternity to change the version of Arc 1. Knowing SCEE, they'll probably do exactly the same mistake with Arc 2 and 3 though ;)

The problem is that complete source does not exist in many cases, so the changes are not easily possible, and hacking the changes into the game image (which we can do) is frowned upon for whatever reason. Monkeypaw picks games that aren't too hard to play despite the Japanese menus and smattering of text. The only exception is RPGs, and we've done the WD English ones with them to solve that.

Top Bottom