• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - October 2011

wsippel

Banned
jgkspsx said:
Excellent points all. I won't believe the things they did right aren't accidents until they implement a download queue at least. That's the single most jawdropping thing about eShop.
And it doesn't even make any sense considering there is a content push system/ background downloader, implemented on a much lower level. The eShop should only install the ticket, then hand everything over to SpotPass. That way, you could buy a couple of games, close the lid or play some game, and have everything downloaded in the background and ready to go a few minutes later.

The system could not only be used for free DLC (all it does right now) or regular background downloading, it would be perfect for preorders and subscriptions as well. You could buy a game that won't be out until a couple days or weeks later on eShop and have it automatically delivered the moment it becomes available. Or buy a subscription to an episodic game (Telltale, I'm looking at you), and the day of release, you open the lid and find the game on your menu, ready to play. Or imagine a subscription to new tables in Zen Pinball. All this stuff is possible with the infrastructure, but Nintendo completely fails to actually do anything worthwhile with it.

jgkspsx

DavidDayton said:
I don't see the pressing need for a queue system 98% of the time. Give us background downloads first!
That's because there's not enough content. But I mostly meant background transfers, yes.

I nominate wsippel for president of eShop.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
wsippel said:
Creating an account, as simple as it may be, is obviously still more tedious than just turning on a new system and entering the store without having to do anything beforehand, right? The joke is that you can tie your hardware to a real, persistent account, but you can't really do anything with that. Neither can you actually create such an account on the device itself.
I'd say creating that account there in order to retrieve my downloads and data in case of theft, hardware failure, etc, is worth the creation of an account which literally takes 2 minutes or less on all the other major services.

wsippel said:
They have, for example, a fully automatic content delivery system in place, but it's hardly used. It would be perfect for stuff like episodic games or digital magazines, yet Nintendo offers neither at this point, so that part of the infrastructure is underutilized.
Yeah, that's nice. And also something PSN currently does for PS Plus users.
The system will automatically go online and download games, demos, patches and install them for you.

wsippel said:
They have comprehensive stat tracking and even a cross game meta currency (not to mention hats - everybody loves hats!), a perfect foundation for an actually worthwhile achievement system, but it isn't used in any meaningful way.
Not really anything to do with the online infrastructure, and since the "walking for coins" thing" is a system only function that so far has little point.

wsippel said:
There is a real account system, but it's pretty much useless.
Yes, I thought linking to Club Nintendo would eventually lead to something fruitful, but no.

wsippel said:
They have a really nice notification system, but that is not really used, either (it also doesn't help that the system marks you as "offline" instead of, say, "away" once you close the lid).
Notification system? Ok, it's just them sending you messages which the other services do as well.
On PSN even you sometimes get messages from Sony, or 3rd parties with links to their demos or software on the store.

wsippel said:
It's sad, really. They have everything there to make a really amazing online system, but it's all completely disjointed and horribly underutilized.
No argument there.
Again, Nintendo's online strategy isn't ahead or unique by any stretch of the imagination.
Let's see if Wii U finally does it. They're getting closer witch each try.

Roto13

Really, Nintendo Video?

hl0Um.jpg

wsippel

Banned
dallow_bg said:
Not really anything to do with the online infrastructure, and since the "walking for coins" thing" is a system only function that so far has little point.
Achievements are about bragging rights, so it's certainly part of the online infrastructure - or would be. The stat tracking is actually used online, by the way. The stats get transmitted to Nintendo for market research purposes. It could be used for a really comprehensive gamer tag, but isn't.

Notification system? Ok, it's just them sending you messages which the other services do as well.
On PSN even you sometimes get messages from Sony, or 3rd parties with links to their demos or software on the store.
I'm not talking about messages, as there isn't even a real messaging system in place (yet). I'm talking about notifications. Mostly to do with the message LED. You receive messages even when the system is in standby, and get notified without having to open the system or anything. That in itself isn't amazing, but it makes some cool stuff possible, at least in theory (stuff like getting game invites even with the lid closed and the system in your pocket for example).

This, like SpotPass, is far more powerful than anything any stationary system offers, as those aren't "always on", and seemingly similar solutions are little more than crude hacks (like the PS Plus "solution" - that's just a scheduled download, not push content delivery). Well, Wii is, but WiiConnect24 does nothing worthwhile, either...

Futureman

Where are my GBA games Nintendo? If you don't release them soon I'm going to be forced to buy something off the e-shop, or GASP, a retail title!

no but seriously, it's almost November. Hopefully this is not a classic "release on December 31st" Nintendo deal.

zigg

Futureman said:
Where are my GBA games Nintendo? If you don't release them soon I'm going to be forced to buy something off the e-shop, or GASP, a retail title!

This is exactly why you aren't going to see them until Nintendo has flushed out their big releases for the year.

Roto13

zigg said:
Has your LL quadrant been updated lately? I haven't seen the 3D Machine in that spot for quite awhile.
Really? Huh.

*deletes Nintendo Video data and redownloads*

Ha ha, what, the lower left space is empty now.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
zigg said:
This is exactly why you aren't going to see them until Nintendo has flushed out their big releases for the year.

Indeed. I'd be pretty surprised to see the November update / GBA games before Super Mario 3D Land. But I'm sure at least some will beat Mario Kart 7 in early December.

Roto13

Well I hope the ones I'm missing show up in the lower right corner eventually. Maybe they don't have the rights to release those videos in Canada or something.

fernoca

Mine are:
Night of the Living Carrots - The Remote
Experience 3D - the 3D-Machine

Experience 3D is the balloons one, and yep..all their videos has been great and the 3D nice too; but in that one the 3D wasn't as nice as the others.

zigg

So I've been playing Roller Angels on DSiWare this week. I'm appropriately embarrassed as a grown man and all, but dang if it doesn't get fun once it gets going. (It just takes over ⅓ of the game to do so.)

NL's review is pretty spot-on, except that for me, it took a bit longer than world three before I really felt pressured.

SmokyDave

Phew, I was debating expanding on my reasons for needing an account system but Stump beat me to it and he's done a far better job. It needs to happen. That's all I'll say.

zigg said:
Yeah, Dave's comment is pretty much what got me on this kick again. I should've left it alone, haha.

My primary point was just that DSiWare has been my numero uno DD platform strictly because its exclusive content appeals to me—the denigration of that particular library with the usual "except Art Style and maybe one other game" drives me a little crazy, particularly when it's coupled with complaints about the shop system itself.

From a taste perspective, I've personally dipped my toes in iOS and XBLA and found neither particularly appealing from a content standpoint, though I probably have a good dozen or so iOS games that I was happy with primarily because they were cheap. Without the content, the niceties don't mean squat to me, at the end of the day.'

I think we can all agree that eShop's exclusive output (not counting VC, because I really don't count it as "exclusive") has basically failed to appeal to anyone, though, because it barely exists. ;)
Don't let my complaints about the shop system or its selection drive you crazy. My complaints are legitimate and you don't share them, that's all.

I have absolutely no idea how you can be satisfied with DSiware and yet find XBLA disappointing. We could not be more different as gamers go. More power to you though, takes all sorts to make the world go around.

zigg

SmokyDave said:
We could not be more different as gamers go. More power to you though, takes all sorts to make the world go around.

S'allright; I get that a lot. ;-) I've run into a very wide range of tastes myself over the past few years, trying to understand what made family, friends, my kids, etc. tick... it takes all sorts indeed.

@MUWANdo said:
We're also getting a content update for StreetPass Plaza and some other unspecified stuff.

Pokedex should have had/should be upgraded with StreetPass functionality. If it had, I bet I'd still be able to get StreetPass hits around home, which isn't exactly urban central.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

If you are reading this you are legally obliged to purcahse a copy of "Go! Go! Kokopolo" for DSiWare
....unless you already have bought a copy in which case you are now officially my best friend for life :)

END OF SPOILER!!!

jgkspsx

skullomania said:
SPOILER ALERT!!!

If you are reading this you are legally obliged to purcahse a copy of "Go! Go! Kokopolo" for DSiWare
....unless you already have bought a copy in which case you are now officially my best friend for life :)

END OF SPOILER!!!
I will on the next Nintendo point card I buy, I promise.

@MUWANdo

Banned
One of the devs on the Zen Studios forum posted that Zen Pinball 3D should be dropping mid-November, so that's nice.

zigg said:
Pokedex should have had/should be upgraded with StreetPass functionality. If it had, I bet I'd still be able to get StreetPass hits around home, which isn't exactly urban central.

The Pokedex has both StreetPass and SpotPass functionality, doesn't it? If you scan every code then you'll get almost every Pokedex entry eventually via SpotPass, except for a few that have alternate forms/elemental affinities or whatever.

skullomania said:
SPOILER ALERT!!!

END OF SPOILER!!!

It's not available on the Aussie store, right?

backlot

There's no Street Pass for the Pokedex. If you want the alternate forms you have to trade for them the old fashion way.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
skullomania said:
SPOILER ALERT!!!

END OF SPOILER!!!
I guess I'm your new best friend.

Zarovitch

skullomania said:
SPOILER ALERT!!!

END OF SPOILER!!!

Ok, tonight

Roto13

Is the lower right video in Nintendo Video Dinosaur Office for everyone else? I was expecting whatever was supposed to come after that 3D Machine cartoon that I never got. :p

zigg

Roto13 said:
Is the lower right video in Nintendo Video Dinosaur Office for everyone else? I was expecting whatever was supposed to come after that 3D Machine cartoon that I never got. :p

they're dinosaurs in an office

rawwwrrrr

Futureman

can someone advise me on selling a 3DS with e-shop content?

Is it totally fine to leave everything I've purchased on the system? It's an Ambassador unit, so will they still be able to get the GBA games when they are announced? Isn't my 3DS linked to my Club Nintendo account? how will that work if I sell it?

Javier

Futureman said:
can someone advise me on selling a 3DS with e-shop content?

Is it totally fine to leave everything I've purchased on the system? It's an Ambassador unit, so will they still be able to get the GBA games when they are announced? Isn't my 3DS linked to my Club Nintendo account? how will that work if I sell it?
Yeah, downloadable games are all locked to console, so unless you format the 3DS before selling it, the new owner will still get the GBA games. There's really nothing wrong with selling a 3DS with eShop content since you're essentially selling it with a few freebies, but I would advice to un-link the Club Nintendo account before selling it just in case.

Although the best advice would be to not sell at all. The system is fairly new, and has lots of time to pick up yet.

Watch Da Birdie said:
Makes me wonder if we'll get Kirby Tilt N'Tumble. Surely they could make it work with the gyro controls, right?

Iwata: *laughs*
Could, yes. But from the people who couldn't be assed to support N64 Controller Pak or Rumble Pak, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
More upcoming Japanese DSi/3DS releases...

uxwGK.png

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

Nintendo DSi | DSiWare

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Javier said:
Although the best advice would be to not sell at all. The system is fairly new, and has lots of time to pick up yet.
Ok, this made me chuckle. . Why give him advice about this? You don't know his reasons for selling.

Javier

dallow_bg said:
Ok, this made me chuckle. . Why give him advice about this? You don't know his reasons for selling.
Because it is generally assumed that "not selling" is an option. He's free to take my advice regardless of reason.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
A Black Falcon said:
Nintendo frequently made games which stop at the end screen and require a reset there, yes.

As for hidden levels, there are five of them to find, yeah. Three worlds have one secret level each, the Pumpkin zone has two in it, and the Mario zone doesn't have any. No secret world though, but at least there are some hidden levels.

The only other "secret" I know of is the Easy mode, accessed by pressing Select at the load file screen. There isn't a Hard mode though.
Thanks!
Feels weird having a Mario game with so few secrets in it I have to say. But hey, besides some framerate issues the game looks and runs great, I didn't really experience the Game Boy as a kid besides Tetris and Mario Tennis, I'm amazed at what they were able to squeeze out of such "weak" hardware. Too bad the soundtrack (or rather the lack of it) is absolutely horrible.

Is Donkey Kong as good as MLII and also still enjoyable by today's standards? What about Metroid II? I find Metroid 1 to be unbearable (sorry but thank God for Zero Mission even tho this is one of my fave series ever), how does Metroid II compares to Super Metroid or to the GBA games?

Btw, I love how the 3DS handles the virtual console titles so far. Here's hoping PC-Engine/GBA/GG will be as godly. And about NES... I just want portable Mega Man II goodness! :D

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Dash Kappei said:
Is Donkey Kong as good as MLII and also still enjoyable by today's standards?

Donkey Kong and Link's Awakening are the two best Game Boy titles, and some would argue both are in the broad category of "best games ever."

Heck, Amirox likes Donkey Kong -- and he hates the Game Boy.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Donkey Kong is fantastic, right up there with the likes of Link's Awakening, Wario Land and Pokemon as one of the must-have titles of the Game Boy library.

Kirby's Block Ball? That's cool, very good game. It is yet another title hurt by the lack of SGB support, but even so, the game's a unique and very fun take on Breakout/Arkanoid that I liked. (As far as Kirby spinoffs on the GB go, though, it's not as good as Kirby Pinball. But Kirby Pinball would be a pretty hard one to match...)

Dash Kappei said:
Thanks!
Feels weird having a Mario game with so few secrets in it I have to say. But hey, besides some framerate issues the game looks and runs great, I didn't really experience the Game Boy as a kid besides Tetris and Mario Tennis, I'm amazed at what they were able to squeeze out of such "weak" hardware. Too bad the soundtrack (or rather the lack of it) is absolutely horrible.
That's five more hidden levels than Super Mario Land 1 had, anyway... I liked SML1, but it is pretty short. The second game is perhaps easier, thanks to its save system and lower average difficulty level in the levels, but it's a lot longer, which is great, and it has secrets to keep you going back for a while too (the five hidden levels).

Even so though, I would rank SML2 behind both Wario Land 1 and Wario Land 2, it's a very good game but those are even better, and have more content too. And WL1 has even better graphics than SML2, too.

Is Donkey Kong as good as MLII and also still enjoyable by today's standards?
Donkey Kong is an amazing game, certainly one of the top five or ten games for the original Game Boy. It's definitely a game to have. It is unfortunate that the 3DS version doesn't include an Super Game Boy mode, though -- DK'94 (that game) was the first major title released with SGB support, and the SGB border and colors look great. It's unfortunate that Nintendo has gone for the cheapest option, just like with their Wii VC N64 "support", and not bothered to support the SGB, just like how N64 VC games don't have rumble or controller pak support.

What about Metroid II? I find Metroid 1 to be unbearable (sorry but thank God for Zero Mission even tho this is one of my fave series ever), how does Metroid II compares to Super Metroid or to the GBA games?
Just like Metroid I, Metroid II doesn't have an ingame map, so if you do play it, I'd say use a map from the internet with the game... it's easy to get lost. At least the game does direct you somewhat, though -- you have to kill Metroids in order to unlock areas. It's maybe worth a play, but it's probably something worth trying first...

Btw, I love how the 3DS handles the virtual console titles so far. Here's hoping PC-Engine/GBA/GG will be as godly. And about NES... I just want portable Mega Man II goodness! :D
It would be that good if it had SGB support, at least, sure.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Nintendo said SGB features would be supported on a per-game basis at the discretion of each individual publisher, so Capcom or Konami or whoever could ostensibly emulate SGB content for their own games. Maybe, probably.

Roto13

Mario Land 2 has six secret levels, not five. One in each world, except the Pumpkin Zone has two and the Mario Zone has none.

This week we're getting Game Boy Double Dragon on 3DS, Castle Conqueror Revolution on DSiWare, and Fish Tank on WiiWare. (I'm assuming Fish Tank is exactly what it says on the can. :p)

More interestingly, they're putting those Halloween Dreamworks shorts from Nintendo Video up for sale in the eShop for $2 each. The Pig Who Cried Wolf, Night of the Living Carrots, and one more that hasn't been announced yet. (Probably won't get that third one until after it's shown up on Nintendo Video.)
@MUWANdo said:
Nintendo said SGB features would be supported on a per-game basis at the discretion of each individual publisher, so Capcom or Konami or whoever could ostensibly emulate SGB content for their own games. Maybe, probably.
Source?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
@MUWANdo said:

Never even heard Super Game Boy mentioned. It would be so strange for Nintendo not to support it themselves on titles like Donkey Kong 94.

sfog

http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=31287

NINTENDO DOWNLOAD HIGHLIGHTS NEW DIGITAL CONTENT FOR NINTENDO SYSTEMS - OCTOBER 20, 2011

Oct. 20, 2011

This week's Nintendo Download includes the following featured content:

Nintendo eShop
Double Dragon® - Join Billy as he fights enemies using punches, kicks and throws, as well as a multitude of weapons, in order to save his girlfriend, Marian. Many enemies will try to stop you from reaching the end of each stage. (For Nintendo 3DS™)

DreamWorks Animation Halloween Collection -You've seen them on Nintendo Video...now download them for keeps. "The Pig Who Cried Werewolf," "Night of the Living Carrots" and one more surprise video coming soon, all with your favorite DreamWorks Animation characters, available in the Nintendo eShop. Each video is priced at $1.99. (For Nintendo 3DS)

Nintendo eShop / Nintendo DSiWare™
Castle Conqueror - Revolution - The Empire has ruined your island's environment and has hunted down and killed its tribal people. You must stop the madness by becoming a commander and leading the fight against the evil Empire. (For Nintendo 3DS / Nintendo DSi™)

Nintendo Video™
Night of the Living Carrots Part 2 - DreamWorks Animation - B.O.B. and the gang from Monsters vs. Aliens come together on Halloween to save their town from a takeover by zombie carrots. Will B.O.B. be able to overcome his fears to save the day? (For Nintendo 3DS)

Also new this week:
• Fish Tank (WiiWare™)

To view this week's Nintendo Download in its full graphical version, please visit: www.news2know.net/nintendo/download7xU2qC00.php.

In addition to video games available at retail stores, Nintendo also offers a variety of content that people can download directly to their systems. Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo eShop for the Nintendo 3DS™ system, to the Nintendo DSi™ Shop for the Nintendo DSi system and to the Wii™ Shop Channel for the Wii console at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Thursdays.

The Nintendo eShop is a cash-based service and features games, applications and videos in both 2D and 3D. Users can add money to their virtual wallets using a credit card or by purchasing a Nintendo 3DS Prepaid Card at a retail store and entering the code from the card.

The Wii Shop Channel offers games and applications and uses Wii Points™, which can be purchased via the Wii Shop Channel. The Nintendo DSi Shop offers games and applications and uses Nintendo DSi Points™, which can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Wii Points Card™ and Nintendo DSi Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one card must be redeemed in either the Wii Shop Channel or the Nintendo DSi Shop, respectively. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that Wii, Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage some of the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wii, http://www.nintendo.com/3ds or http://www.nintendo.com/ds/systems/dsi.

Also, the 3D Pixel Racing demo has been removed from the US Wii shop.

mclem

Watch Da Birdie said:
Makes me wonder if we'll get Kirby Tilt N'Tumble. Surely they could make it work with the gyro controls, right?

Iwata: *laughs*

It'd be a bit weirdly offcentre. KTnT was built around the centre of gravity being directly below the screen, which wouldn't be the case with the 3DS.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
who the fuck would pay $2 for low quality novelty short videos, and why the fuck should we have to pay money to keep them when they were free to watch before now?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Stumpokapow said:
who the fuck would pay $2 for low quality novelty short videos, and why the fuck should we have to pay money to keep them when they were free to watch before now?

What happened to having full movies available to download? I know it was promoted as such when Nintendo was first showing off the 3DS. I guess that dream is dead.

Top Bottom