• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA: No US/EU Release for Valkyria Chronicles 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giolon

Not surprising given its absence at E3, but if you still foolishly held out hope that Valkyria Chronicles 3 would see a stateside release, Gamespot brings us the official bad news today:

Fans of the series will be disappointed to know that Sega is not planning to localize the third game, Valkyria Chronicles III: Unrecorded Chronicles, for North American and European markets.

This story won't be chronicled in English anytime soon.

During a recent interview in Singapore, Sega's team manager of console sales, Hiroshi Seno, confirmed that the game would not be localized due to the PSP platform not being popular and well liked in North America and Europe. He also said that localizing the title for an English-speaking audience would require past games of the franchise to sell a particular quantity; he added that Valkyria Chronicles II did not sell enough to justify localization costs.

When asked whether the game would be out as a downloadable title on the upcoming PlayStation Vita system, Seno said the company would make a concrete decision the next time it meets with Sony. Valkyria Chronicles III sold 102,779 units in its debut week of January 24 in Japan.

Source
I knew this would happen to the series the minute they announced that the second game was a) a PSP title, b) set in a high school. SEGA shot themselves in the foot internationally in order to minorly boost domestic sales w/ otaku pandering and international VC fans paid the price. It's a shame b/c storywise, it looked like the 3rd game had mostly gotten itself back on track.

Grinchy

Banned
It's weird too, considering PSP games that are on PSN could have a long shelf life because of Vita. The only reason I still buy psp games is because I know I can download them later on Vita if I buy one.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
They should never have put the series on the PSP in the first place. It resulted in two awful sequels (relative to the first game) that were doomed outside of Japan.

SlickVic

I thought this was confirmed over the summer? Probably was something unofficial. Either way, really lousy news. VC3 and AAI2 were the last couple games I wanted to play on the PSP and DS respectively. :(

MechaX

Ushojax said:
They should never have put the series on the PSP in the first place. It resulted in two awful sequels (relative to the first game) that were doomed outside of Japan.

I thought VCIII was a definite return to form.

I do kind of wish that VCII was never created, though.

TreIII

Pft.

Well, whenever they FINALLY decide to switch back to PS3 development (which really shouldn't be an excuse with all of PS3/Vita hoopla going around), I'll be waiting.

Til then...

Sega is pretty much done with localizing PSP games.

Chances are, we will never see Valkyria Chronicles 3, Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity, or 7th Dragon 2020.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Pai Pai Master said:
I want more like VC1 so, so badly. We're never going to get it, either.

The way this series has been handled is really depressing. The first game was so damn good.

Not surprised by this news, but then again
I didn't really care for VC3 anyways, seeing as it took place during the original. I REALLY don't want to see Squad 7's faces again; their story ended with the original, and the cameos in VC2 were jsut pushing it.

I'd rather they just kill the franchise and make a new one using the battle system, but with better writing and music.

Ushojax

Hcoregamer00 said:
I called it, I hate being right about this :(

The platform choice made this inevitable. The PSP has been dead for years in the West and combined with the atrocious reaction to VC2 a third game was a nailed-on bomba. They should just move the series back to the PS3 or shuffle it over to the 3DS. In fact it would probably be better if they just took the gameplay systems and made a new series. Valkyria Chronicles is done as an IP outside of Japan.

patsu

Giolon said:
Not surprising given its absence at E3, but if you still foolishly held out hope that Valkyria Chronicles 3 would see a stateside release, Gamespot brings us the official bad news today:

I knew this would happen to the series the minute they announced that the second game was a) a PSP title, b) set in a high school. SEGA shot themselves in the foot internationally in order to minorly boost domestic sales w/ otaku pandering and international VC fans paid the price. It's a shame b/c storywise, it looked like the 3rd game had mostly gotten itself back on track.

That's why they should make it into a PSP Remaster game for PS3.

Coxy

I hope sega realize VC2 sold poorly because it was completely disasterously terrible on multiple levels and not just because it was on psp.

Valkyria Chronicles 3? I have no idea what you guys are talking about. There's only one VC game. The one for the PS3. This one *hugs copy*

;_;

Ushojax

Coxy said:
I hope sega realize VC2 sold poorly because it was completely disasterously terrible on multiple levels and not just because it was on psp.

Few games sell badly because they're terrible. How can people think a game is terrible if they've never played it? VC2 sold badly because it was a numbered sequel to a niche PS3 strategy game and was released on a dying platform. It being rubbish simply ensured anybody who bought it would have doubts about buying another VC game.

SkylineRKR

PSP games hardly sell in the west, let alone games like VC2. That VC2 killed VC in the west does not surprise me at all. That game was never destined to move copies over here.

So Sega built this Ps3 canvas engine for yak shit or something? Come on.

djplaeskool said:
Sega is pretty much done with localizing PSP games.

Chances are, we will never see Valkyria Chronicles 3, Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity, or 7th Dragon 2020.
Hopefully then Shining Blade was moved to another system and that's why it still hasn't been officially announced.

RedSwirl

And this is why the current gen is tearing Japan away from international markets.

I think back during VCII's development someone asked Sega why they went with the PSP, and it came down to them not being able to afford another console game. If that's true then VC was kinda doomed to a Japanese niche from the start.

The best we can hope for here is VCIV on the Vita and PS3 by extension. I would have at least liked to have an HD port of VCIII. Same goes for Type-0. If it get's announced that Type-0 will never be localized, that's the big warning sign we should be watching for.

LiK

SkylineRKR said:
PSP games hardly sell in the west, let alone games like VC2. That VC2 killed VC in the west does not surprise me at all. That game was never destined to move copies over here.

So Sega built this Ps3 canvas engine for yak shit or something? Come on.
Yea, what happened to VC1's engine?

Ushojax

Snuggler said:
They're probably saving it for Skies of Arcadia 2.

j7vrqx.gif

Paznos

They should have never put the series on the PSP that's what killed it in the west, pisses me off so much Thanks SEGA!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Giolon said:

Very much agree with this. The first one had tons of sequel potential and they didn't need to take such a weird u-turn.

Quixzlizx

The rage Mega Man fans feel towards Capcom is how I feel toward Sega.

Thanks for making that gorgeous Canvas engine for one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom