• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

Guys, help me get into Soul Hackers. Why can't this game click with me? I love cyberpunk, and I love SMT. So why can't I get into SH?

Soul Hackers didn't click with me either. I enjoyed my time with it for the most part, but it's one of the SMT games I am the least likely to ever replay. It really hasn't aged well at all.

Awesome soundtrack, though.

cj_iwakura

After the art museum..when you fight the
dolphin boss

The story is still ramping up, and I think it gets even better. I'd stick with it, but it's your call. If by the time you run into
the Kuzunoha clan
and you still aren't feeling it, I guess that's that.

It remains one of my top five SMTs, behind only Nocturne and EP.

Chibot

lol see with the final comments, I really want to play it. I recently got Devil Summoner 2, so I just wanted to see if it was something I should play before jumping into 2.

Hoggert was right to call it a slog. But it's worth playing for the story and/or if you're an SMT nerd. The sequel is the far superior game IMO.

cj_iwakura

Hoggert was right to call it a slog. But it's worth playing for the story and/or if you're an SMT nerd. The sequel is the far superior game IMO.

Raidou 1 is the one with the serious old-school SMT ties, though.

Oh, you meant the first game by that. Yeah, the second game is more fun(especially negotiating), but the first has the best story.

vocab

I thought raidou 2 was more like smt from what I always heard.

Shit I don't even know anymore. I completely forgot the story of the first raidou game. I will say this though, beating raidou 1 basically burned me out so much. I just cannot sit down and play raidou 2. It's practically the same game.

But I love this song, and victor is always great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYEDwVQa-70

Anyway I'm approaching the end of nocturne. Just hit fifth kalpa. My party isn't the best simply because I suck at the chart, but it's whatever. I'm so spoiled with smt4 fusion. I have no idea how to make use of backwards fusions and getting the skills I want 100%. I'm blowing through the bosses just because I have such a high sustain rate and I understand how the game works. Two characters with prayer, and demi fiends fists are just made out of nuclear weapons. I gotta do puzzle boy soon. God damnit.

tumblr_mp1lzlMcMF1qdjt1ko1_1280.jpg

40detectives

Neo Member
Regards to what? DeSu3 isn't going to be happening any time soon.

Break Record is out in 3 months, that's the only news they released. I think there was a trailer as well.

Hopefully it gets a 2015 release in the west. RIP Europe.

Ugh, I thought he was refering to a American release date. Too soon I guess...

I really hope to get someday an European date though.

Joqu

Playing Strange Journey for the first time. Really enjoying it!

BUT there's this bird demon in Antlia that says there's material to be found behind a wall? I have no idea what that's hinting at. I got hidden wall search and went back to it but that didn't seem to do the trick. Google search got me no answers either, I only found this old gamefaqs thread with someone wondering the same thing.

Could anyone clear this up for me? It's really bothering me. D:

Nimby

Banned
Playing Strange Journey for the first time. Really enjoying it!

BUT there's this bird demon in Antlia that says there's material to be found behind a wall? I have no idea what that's hinting at. I got hidden wall search and went back to it but that didn't seem to do the trick. Google search got me no answers either, I only found this old gamefaqs thread with someone wondering the same thing.

Could anyone clear this up for me? It's really bothering me. D:

Some walls cannot be opened until you have the 'better version' of that app.

Nimby

Banned
Alright! An SMT Thread is awesome, easily my favorite RPG series. I'm playing DDS1 as a PS2 classic right now and it's great, despite weird conversion bugs with the audio.

The off-sync audio is definitely annoying, and I don't see them fixing these problems unfortunately.

Nimby

Banned
That's some cool fan art, snow in jamaica. :) I like the style of the Setanta one. I definitely agree with the Ayami Kojima comparison too; it's the first thing I thought of.

I've done a few pieces of SMT fan art. Can I share them too?

Nice! I especially love the first one. Demi-fiend rockin' that swag

Bladenic

Still haven't played SMT1 or 3 on iPhone or PS3.

Honestly, as much as I love SMT4, I'm a little scared of playing the earlier games in the series. Mainly due to the supposed difficulty and the fact that SMT4 spoiled me with save anywhere amongst other features.

Lame reasons I know.

Caladrius

Still haven't played SMT1 or 3 on iPhone or PS3.

Honestly, as much as I love SMT4, I'm a little scared of playing the earlier games in the series. Mainly due to the supposed difficulty and the fact that SMT4 spoiled me with save anywhere amongst other features.

Lame reasons I know.

Nocturne is still fairly accessible. The only things that were particularly bothersome for me coming from SMT4 were going back to random skill inheritance and the Magatama system. (Which to be fair, works well, but if you want to build your character effectively you need to know what to switch to and when.)

I did have a rough time at points in SMT1 but I also autobattled through a lot of it. How was it for anyone else?

The best version of if… should be the PS1 version.

Zo31Mgd.png

I actually made the Taotie avatar.

Once you start getting status bullets and Zio (with it's stunning) is permanently in your party SMT1 is a wrap. The beginning can be rough though, especially if you used the older SNES patch that glitched the antique shop to not sell weapons. I remember a Jack Frost encounter wrecked me hard becuase of how likely status effects are to land in that game.

randomkid

So I've been playing Megami Tensei: Old Testament and for a 1995 remake of a 27 year old dungeon crawler, it's remarkably playable and fun. I had actually been following along a bit with Turnip's playthrough from the anniversary thread, too bad it was aborted cuz I can't really find any other ones and there were some hot tips!

The lack of a world map means you never know what you'll come across in any given room, so running into helpful skeletons or paralyzed knights or random goddesses is pretty neat. The dungeons feel gigantic too, I had been lost for days and definitely did some sequence breaking before I finally found and beat the boss of Mazurka. The encounter rate can get quite awful though in some places so it's a bummer there's no Estoma and you gotta rely on rare Exorcism Herbs, and I feel like there must be some sort of glitch going on with autobattle because low level enemies frequently get the jump on me when I use it, whereas when I fight manually my high-ass speed ensures I'm virtually always first.

Anyways, I've got a whole bunch of the next zone already mapped so I'm hoping I can bumrush through the last couple bosses, getting lost and skipping ahead to the final dungeon sure did help out my levels.

Also, the new translation is really top notch work, everyone oughtta give it a shot!

I got to the 3rd stratum boss in Kyuuyaku. My Higan FPS has been acting slower than before though so I've stalled out a bit. My only flaw with the game, aspected as it is, is that it's grindier than most classic SMTs, including SMT1. But it only gets grindy for the boss fights, so it's more of a grind wall, which can suck. Beyond that though, I'm ready to keep plugging in time to MT1.

randomkid

Yeah I can't comment on grind walls since I spent so much time lost (and following Turnip's advice I snuck ahead and bought some sweet equipment from the last dungeon way earlier than I was supposed to). The toughest boss for me was the final one, even when decked out with the best equipment that dude packs a punch.

In any case, I had a great time with it, I like how this game's got jokes too!

ZaABCWd.png
bgoWT5p.png
hU6XPKH.png

So Megami Tensei was pretty fun, but when you beat the game it immediately segues into the sequel without so much as a title screen hold, and so it's very confusing (and very mindblowing!) especially considering how Megami Tensei 2 starts, which I won't spoil too much. It's such a neat neat moment and I can't stop thinking about it and how cool it must have been for that kind of meta to occur in 1990, is there any precedent?

dUSpdqU.png
k4Rz7K6.png

Tizoc

Where do you want me to start? It has one of my favourite plots of all time (pulp +90's SMT nonsense) but the battle system...oh good mary have mercy. I still can't believe I played through it twice. From what I can remember:

Raidou's crap melee + elemental gun weakness variety
Tedious capture + combo system
Bullets BULLETS bullets
One demon summon at a time (that gets one shot by equal level bosses regardless of type//weakness)
Minor DDS/SH inherited level-up/loyalty system that determines nakama's effetiveness in battle

Loved the plot and the STG inspired bosses (even the penis demon) but damn. it was a slog. Worth it, but it intellectual quicksand 2theMAX. Please play it through to the end. The final dungeon and boss are the greatest of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Does Raidou 1 have Easy difficulty by any chance? Cuz I wanna get it next time it goes on sale solely for the kickass battle theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTuz15Sq8zc

Xenoflare

Cover art for Devil Survivor 2: Break Record

Oh my god I just want a NA release date already. I played Overclock and loved it. I bought my 3DS for SMT 4 and overclock was the first game I bought to help me with the wait.

Apparently BR's added story is as long as the original game. I have to say it's a bit overwhelming........ Or is it like OC where an extra day is slapped on?

The artist is fine, but every girl having huge boobs that make no sense gravity wise is silly.

I hate that, but it's not just that. He's just not that good. Every time I play one of the Devil Survivor games I notice all kinds of perspective, proportion, and other problems in the character art. It clashes pretty hard against the excellent backgrounds. Setting aside the sexist nonsense in DS2 for a second, I thought it was interesting that there was a marked improvement from the first game in his fine details like colour blending, but he didn't seem to care about fixing his structural problems. :/

Top Bottom