• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7's community feature - the next big thing in online Nintendo games?

fernoca

Plus on the 3DS, the main problem of the DS/Wii was already fixed: different friend codes across different games. On the 3DS, both players exchange friend codes, add them to the friends list and there. Whatever name that friend has, becomes the display name..across any game.For example, Super Street Fighter IV, you just go online and if another friend is already playing online you'll see his/her name and you create a lobby to play or join theirs.

Problem was that if the friend's playing offline you can't see him/invite him at all.

Mario Kart also solves this (apparently) by letting you invite people to join your game. The extent of that (only people online, only people playing Mario Kart); not sure.

So far, my only "thing" is still the lack of communication; so I usually ended playing 'Super' with MSN close and we both exchanging "lols" and "OMG" during matches. :p

Javier

Freezie KO said:
That is a good point I didn't think of. I just know that the friend code system has actively dissuaded me from playing anything other than random matches online with my Nintendo consoles.
But this isn't a friend code. It's more akin to a password or a secret handshake that you only need to put in once and you're automatically part of the Community.

If we ever wanted to have a tournament using the MKWii system, we would have to enter the FC for each and every NeoGAF member, hope they add you back, and we would have limited options on allowed/banned items and such. This new system fixes ALL that.

If Smash Bros 3DS has this exact same system I won't complain one bit.

shauntu

I think one point people are not considering, is that Nintendo will be pointing you to Communities on a regular basis through SpotPass (as well as highlight the Top 100 Communities on the Mario Kart Channel).

What this makes me think of, is the biweekly Challenges that we got in Mario Kart Wii, where the rules of the stage were tweaked a bit and you still had Leaderboards for each of the Challenges. Now, it will be Communities, with a lot heavier customization possible for the rule set, and where we ourselves can create Communities (public or private) to hold challenges with Leaderboards for specific scenarios...

fernoca said:
Plus on the 3DS, the main problem of the DS/Wii was already fixed: different friend codes across different games. On the 3DS, both players exchange friend codes, add them to the friends list and there. Whatever name that friend has, becomes the display name..across any game.For example, Super Street Fighter IV, you just go online and if another friend is already playing online you'll see his/her name and you create a lobby to play or join theirs.

Problem was that if the friend's playing offline you can't see him/invite him at all.

Mario Kart also solves this (apparently) by letting you invite people to join your game. The extent of that (only people online, only people playing Mario Kart); not sure.

So far, my only "thing" is still the lack of communication; so I usually ended playing 'Super' with MSN close and we both exchanging "lols" and "OMG" during matches. :p
It's still stupid how in the 3DS you have to let each other know that you added each other. If only there was a an actual add friend system so that people know that they've been added and can accept or decline. But there isn't. A messaging system would alleviate this, but then knowing Nintendo, you would only be able to message friends.

Freezie KO said:
It's not an insurmountable obstacle. But I'd rather pick up my 3DS wherever, enter in an easy to remember Community Name, and be playing. I don't particularly want to bring my 3DS to my computer, and look back and forth between them every couple digits while entering the code.

It's just another impediment towards ease of play, something Nintendo should understand by now.
You'll do it once per community. It will take you less than 1 minute to do it. This is just complaining for the sake of complaining.

You're probably sitting in front of your computer when you find out about a community you want to join, so I don't see how bringing your 3DS to your computer is such a hassle.

Friend codes on DS and Wii were garbage, but this is definitely nowhere near as bad as that. This is actually pretty good.

M3d10n

Freezie KO said:
It's not an insurmountable obstacle. But I'd rather pick up my 3DS wherever, enter in an easy to remember Community Name, and be playing. I don't particularly want to bring my 3DS to my computer, and look back and forth between them every couple digits while entering the code.

It's just another impediment towards ease of play, something Nintendo should understand by now.
Let me blow your mind: Steam's server browser doesn't have that feature. If you want to play on GAF's TF2 server, you either type the IP down or endlessly scroll over the server list.

dock

Hopefully they'll offer QR-codes for these communities. If so then that's easy to integrate into an online community or forum.

If there were some sort of link that you could click from the 3DS Browser that would be good too, similar to App Store links on the iPhone.

I'm pretty excited by this. I expect I'll just get my ass handed to me, but I'd rather have that happen within a limited community. :)

Using QR codes would involve more steps for the person posting the code. They would have to make it, take their SD card out of the 3DS, put it in the PC, get the code and host the picture online somewhere, and then post the code or send it to friends.

Oni Link 666 said:
Using QR codes would involve more steps for the person posting the code. They would have to make it, take their SD card out of the 3DS, put it in the PC, get the code and host the picture online somewhere, and then post the code or send it to friends.
Well, it would just be another option.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If I'm reading everything right, these communities are essentially persistent - otherwise Nintendo wouldn't be able to make communities that download their ID code to you via spotpass for you to play in at your own leisure.

Yeah, people need to not freak out over the code thing; this is not a friend code in any way. It's actually quite rational to have such a code for a spawned community "server". There's going to be 20 billion copies of Mario Kart 7 in use, I would PREFER to have a truly unique code to bookmark the correct community amid all the chaff.

But this is pretty big... this would be a big online feature for any game, not just a Nintendo game. Especially since communities have their own persistent leaderboards.

Imagine if any of the current fighting games supported this, so there could be a single persistent GAF community battle room for them replete with leaderboards spanning the entire history of the room?

MisterHero

It would be nice for the individual Communities to have their own leaderboards

Even if you aren't a great player, Online Rankings would be more fun when grouped with people you know rather than the other hundreds of thousands playing the game

Kai Dracon

Oni Link 666 said:

Yeah, but only the first time. A QR code would be a big convenience for advertising one's community in a variety of forms - could be printed out on fliers even and posted on boards at game meets even, then just snapshot with a 3DS to "sign up".

That's the thing with QR codes... slightly more initial set up, but improved convenience for the intended recipients.

Shanadeus

Banned
Kaijima said:
If I'm reading everything right, these communities are essentially persistent - otherwise Nintendo wouldn't be able to make communities that download their ID code to you via spotpass for you to play in at your own leisure.

Yeah, people need to not freak out over the code thing; this is not a friend code in any way. It's actually quite rational to have such a code for a spawned community "server". There's going to be 20 billion copies of Mario Kart 7 in use, I would PREFER to have a truly unique code to bookmark the correct community amid all the chaff.

But this is pretty big... this would be a big online feature for any game, not just a Nintendo game. Especially since communities have their own persistent leaderboards.

Imagine if any of the current fighting games supported this, so there could be a single persistent GAF community battle room for them replete with leaderboards spanning the entire history of the room?
Exactly!
This is pretty revolutionary on the onlinefront, not just for Nintendo.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
braves01 said:
It sounds great to me. Obviously not as good as most online services, but any improvement over friend codes is welcome.
Actually it sounds a lot better than 99% of what xboxlive and psn games offer.

MisterHero said:
It would be nice for the individual Communities to have their own leaderboards

Even if you aren't a great player, Online Rankings would be more fun when grouped with people you know rather than the other hundreds of thousands playing the game

Unless otherwise specified by the Community creator, they will also be visible publicly, and all of them will include online leaderboards.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Mario Kart on Super Nes was the 1st game that made me like Nintendo. I was a big fan of arcade sega games so I owned a master system and missed the nes era. Then I discovered Mario Kart at a friend's and I fell in love with the game, championship, battle mode, it was perfect. I didn't play the N64 version as I had already sold the console when it launched. I came back to Mario Kart with the DS version, which I found excellent, but missing things that made me spend dozens of hours with my friends on SNES. Wii version disappointed me pretty fast.

With everything we know so far, I can almost predict the magic is back. If the battle mode delivers... oh boy.

udivision

marc^o^ said:
Mario Kart on Super Nes was the 1st game that made me like Nintendo. I was a big fan of arcade sega games so I owned a master system and missed the nes era. Then I discovered Mario Kart at a friend's and I felt in love with the game, championship, battle mode, it was perfect. I didn't play the N64 version as I had already sold the console when it launched. I came back to Mario Kart with the DS version, which I found excellent, but missing things that made me spend dozens of hours with my friends on SNES. Wii version disappointed me pretty fast.

With everything we know so far, I can almost predict the magic is back. If the battle mode delivers... oh boy.
The magic came back with the Wii version. They call it "The Quest for 9999 VR"
But then again, I disliked Mario Kart till the GC version clicked with me.

watershed

Banned
This community stuff sounds great. But I am a little bit confused as to how you join. Obviously the community creator can send you the code through a forum or something. But let's say your browsing the visible communities online and want to join one, is there an option that let's you send a request to the community leader or something?

Cipherr

artwalknoon said:
This community stuff sounds great. But I am a little bit confused as to how you join. Obviously the community creator can send you the code through a forum or something. But let's say your browsing the visible communities online and want to join one, is there an option that let's you send a request to the community leader or something?

You will likely be free to join at your own will, unless the owner makes it private, in which case you wouldnt likely see the community in the list at all.

This all sounds very steam like. Extremely straight forward. You can join any public steam group you like without pinging the owner for permission. If someone wants to make an exclusive group, then they set it to private and hand out the group password(Numerical code) to people they want to join it.

Javier

The only limitation I've read so far is that a single user can only create up to 8 communities, which is fine by me since I doubt I'll create any, I only plan to join the GAF one and a couple from other groups.

So many people in this thread aren't even trying to hide the fact they've never played an online game on a Nintendo system before. So many ignorant posts I don't know whether to laugh or just feel bad...

M3d10n said:
Let me blow your mind: Steam's server browser doesn't have that feature. If you want to play on GAF's TF2 server, you either type the IP down or endlessly scroll over the server list.

But who doesn't know their IP address, and the IP address of all the servers and things they're connecting to by heart?

Dash Kappei said:
Actually it sounds a lot better than 99% of what xboxlive and psn games offer.

It's not as good for arbitrary reasons, mainly because it's Nintendo so it's simply assumed to be not as good...really the only thing missing is messaging, which is being added in November

Also people are forgetting, street pass exchanging information means, at least locally, FCs can be traded without you having to manually enter them in for each player. Imagine going to a big convention and having everyone who attended and who you talked to AUTOMATICALLY added to your friends list

rpmurphy

This is the Communities interface for getting into a game (not sure if this is only done in-game or if it can be done from the Mario Kart Channel):
3kbaV.jpg

Community codes are in the format XX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX.
On the bottom screen above your favorites list it says "Search by ???" but I can't read that part.

Kai Dracon

Striek said:
How does this differ from a clan system?

This is more like creating an open "clan" that the public can join (if the creator chooses) and automatically serves up a pre-defined game type for everyone to play.

In terms of the practical end effect it's allowing every player of the game to set up 1 to 8 custom server spawns that each have their own set of leaderboards. Then any number of people can join and play on that "server", under the rules the admin sets up, and have their performance recorded for other users of that server to see on the boards.

It's actually fairly advanced and seems to solve some legitimate problems that people have had with online games in general, in terms of organization.

An immediate example here is the "Official GAF gamertag" system. Every time a major online game comes out, a Gaffer creates a "gaftag" that everyone playing the game adds to their friends list. They then navigate through the gaftag's friends-of friends list to try and ferret out other gaffers who are playing the same game, to directly message them if/when they're online.

Now, imagine if one of these games had the ability to create the "gaf community", set it so only people on GAF have access to the private community code, and a specific game type with conditions was pre-defined to suit what people wanted to play. Everybody joins that one community, cuts out the middle man, and plays games whenever they like, with whoever else is online in the gaf community. With an automated leaderboard recording that people were there.

This is a damned cool idea.

BowieZ

Banned
rpmurphy said:
This is the Communities interface for getting into a game (not sure if this is only done in-game or if it can be done from the Mario Kart Channel):
3kbaV.jpg

Community codes are in the format XX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX.
On the bottom screen above your favorites list it says "Search by ???" but I can't read that part.
Mary from Australia represent!

Kai Dracon

Vinci said:
Wait. What the hell have they done to Nintendo? It's supposed to suck at this shit.

Mario Kart team is Nintendo's GDLK go-to source for progressive online ideas.

Top Bottom