• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tails playable in Sonic CD re-release

TimmiT

Besides announcing that tablets sold at Gamestop will get the game early, SEGA has revealed that Tails will be playable from the second playthrough onwards in the re-release of Sonic CD: http://blogs.sega.com/2011/11/01/sonic-cd-spins-onto-tablets-at-gamestop/

6302645105_6e06eb153f.jpg

The game will be released on XBLA, PSN, Steam and Mobile in December

qq more

Woah. Definite version of CD.

Sonic 2's spindash and physics, playable Tails, proper widescreen support, what else is there?

CoryCubed

Wonder if this means he will be playable in Sonic 4 Ep as well ? Makes since Sonic CD comes out as the "prequel" then this summer S4E2 comes out then Sonic Dimensions or whatever. Easy money for Sega.

Tizoc

jetsetfluken said:
Very cool news. Now can we get Knuckles in, and then a definitive S3&K Director's Cut on PSN/XBLA with added features too?
With a Platinum trophy/1000 points achievement too please =3

Tizoc said:
With a Platinum trophy/1000 points achievement too please =3

Well honestly I'd be happy if they just put XBLA Sonic 3 and S&K crappy Backbone ports to PSN if nothing else.
Did they...forget about them?

Since this isn't just one of those shitty Backbone ports, this will run under a different menu system.

Has it been said yet if this will have Save States?

.la1n

Ah finally some more information on the only Sonic game I care about. I love all the classics mind you but as far as non new gen sonic team / horrible backbone ports this is as good as it gets guys, someone that knows how to build an engine!

.la1n said:
Ah finally some more information on the only Sonic game I care about. I love all the classics mind you but as far as non new gen sonic team / horrible backbone ports this is as good as it gets guys, someone that knows how to build an engine!

This makes me cry because of how great it is, and also because I know it will never happen again.

Why doesn't tails ever wear those goggles in the games? They'd make him look awesome.

That Tails picture isn't even the weirdest bonus picture from CD.

That being said, fuck yeah, definitive version of Sonic CD. Taxman and Sega are fucking awesome for this.

It feels so strange with SEGA doing these ports and...... *gulp*.. improving them. First of all they ported Daytona and... Improved it..... Now they seem to be doing the same to this.. I'm scared.

Has anyone ever seen the beta special stage?
Scd_Sega_Summer_Catalogue_1992_Cropped.JPG

Might be a good time to bring it back for the motion control.

jetsetfluken said:
I mean, a Taxman-fueled digital download of Sonic 3 & Knuckles isn't so farfetched after this, no?

If they have any sense at all, then no.

Levyne

Banned
Sonic CD is the only traditional Sonic game I have not played.

How does it stack up compared to 2 and 3+K?

Right now its (for me)

3+K > 2 > 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4

Sciz

Khold said:
Sonic CD is the only traditional Sonic game I have not played.

How does it stack up compared to 2 and 3+K?
It's a fairly different beast, mostly on account of the quirky level design. It started development parallel with Sonic 2, and as such it's an alternative evolution of Sonic 1's design philosophies. If Sonic 2 is largely built on the fundamentals of Green Hill, Sonic CD takes its cues from Spring Yard.

Box of Bunnies said:
It's pretty weak, but a lot of people latched onto it because they needed something to justify their Mega CD purchase to themselves.

It's not weak, but it is different. It has a different pace, but you'll still feel like you're playing a Sonic game. And I'll have you know, I never owned the console. I just played it on my computer, so neh!

Sonic CD is a tough game to get into. Level-design is all over the place, that jump sound-effect, special stages are a bit crap.

Somehow it's my favorite game in the series next to Sonic 1.

TimmiT

Bucket-o-roadkill said:
It feels so strange with SEGA doing these ports and...... *gulp*.. improving them. First of all they ported Daytona and... Improved it..... Now they seem to be doing the same to this.. I'm scared.
This is not a port, it's a new version build with Taxman's Retro Engine. you can even play it with the Sonic 2/3&K controls and physics.

Muchi Muchi Pink said:
Why December? WHY????????????????? Tomorrow, there is nothing but burger time, curse you sega.
It would be overshadowed by Sonic Generations.

Suairyu

Banned
qq more said:
Woah. Definite version of CD.

Sonic 2's spindash and physics, playable Tails, proper widescreen support, what else is there?
60fps

Box of Bunnies said:
It's pretty weak, but a lot of people latched onto it because they needed something to justify their Mega CD purchase to themselves.
I don't think that's the reason. Like with Knuckles Chaotix, it's that so many people didn't play it that it developed a mythology about itself. That was the Sonic game that was so good that you didn't get to play etc.

Unlike Chaotix, it's actually a decent game. Unfortunately, it is not up to the standard of the Mega Drive ones.

Suairyu

Banned
qq more said:
Wait, was the original Sega CD game worse with the framerate? I haven't played it in forever.
To the best of my knowledge (though it has also been ages), they were 30fps games.

However, the new conversion does also mean a steady 60fps, so it'll have the old game beat even if it was originally 60fps.

Sapiens

qq more said:
Wait, was the original Sega CD game worse with the framerate? I haven't played it in forever.
It was 60fps with lots of slowdown.

And the bonus stages ran weird as well. I think the rotating plane ran at 20-30 fps while the upper half of the screen ran at 60.

I wonder if they will fix the scaling of the UFOs. They were hand animated and it was tough to judge their position.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wow. This is the definitive version, alright. Can't wait to get this in December. It's been quite a while since I had played Sonic CD so I'm looking forward to it.

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Haha, I just realized: Wacky Workbench is going to be a bit lot less shitastic with Tails.
Exactly what I was thinking.
KuGsj.gif

Top Bottom