• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS + Android Gaming Destroying Nintendo and Sony

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I know Apple was trolling the gaming industry with their charts, but it looks like they are actually embarrassing the big boys pretty badly in terms of gaming revenue for portable systems. Not at all comparing the experiences provided by each platform, but clearly the stand-alone portable gaming machine is going the way of the dinosaur.

Is It Game Over for Nintendo and Sony?

Chart_USportableGameRevenue_MarketShare_2009-2011-resized-600.png

The chart displays the share of U.S. revenue generated for portable games from 2009 to 2011. Note that we project November and December for 2011, based on their ratio to the first 10 months of the year, as observed in 2009 and 2010. Starting on the left, for 2009, we calculate $2.7 billion in total U.S. portable game revenue. For 2010 and 2011, we estimate $2.5 billion and $3.3 billion, respectively.

The most striking trend is that iOS and Android games have tripled their market share from roughly 20% in 2009 to nearly 60% in just two years. Simultaneously, Nintendo, the once dominant player, has been crushed down to owning about one-third of market in 2011, from having controlled more than two-thirds in 2009. Combined, iOS and Android game revenue delivered $500 million, $800 million and $1.9 billion over 2009, 2010 and 2011, respectively.

As reported by Flurry earlier this year, the freemium game model is revolutionizing and expanding revenue on mobile devices. And just as smartphone game revenue has climbed aggressively, Nintendo DS and Sony PSP revenue has dropped precipitously. Over the last three years, Nintendo and Sony posted a combined $2.2 billion, $1.6 billion and $1.4 billion for 2009, 2010 and 2011, respectively.

Within the portable category, an abundance of digitally distributed free and $0.99 games, available on hardware, that is both comparably priced and more powerful than traditional portable game devices, better appeals to many consumers. As a result, the days of paying $25, or more, for a cartridge at a retail store may soon end. Further, the installed base of iOS and Android devices has not only reached critical mass, but also continues to grow at unprecedented rates. In their latest public statements regarding installed base, Apple and Google reported a total of 250 million iOS devices and 190 million Android devices activated, respectively.

Due in part to its demise in the portable game category, Nintendo is facing its first fiscal year loss since the company began reporting profits in 1981. Combined with slumping Wii sales, Nintendo is indeed struggling, even with its powerful stable of original IP led by Mario Brothers, and despite the fact that the exchange rate between the Japanese Yen and U.S. dollar is currently in its favor.

Equally concerning for Nintendo is that the battle for video game dominance is entering the living room, with entries by both Apple and Google into the TV category. Ostensibly, this new class of hardware will create a new platform upon which the digital distribution model of apps will be overlaid. Now, in addition to tablet form-factor competition, the console game industry, which currently pits Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo against each other, will additionally face competition from Apple and Google TV initiatives. Beyond 2011, if Nintendo continues to face financial hardship, it may be forced to consider difficult choices such as divesting its hardware business and distributing its content, for the first time, across non-proprietary platforms.

A Note about Methodology
For this analysis, Flurry used a combination of publicly available data, released across several reports by the NPD group, along with its own data collected from mobile devices. Flurry Analytics tracks more than 20 billion use sessions per month across more than 125,000 applications on more than 330 million unique devices per month. Nearly 40% of all app use sessions occur in games. With its coverage across applications, Flurry can reliably estimate the revenue generated per ranked position in the iTunes App Store and Android Market. With this data, Flurry calculated year-over-year revenue generated by the smartphone gaming category, and combined this with available Nintendo DS and Sony PSP software sales.

I see this is actually in the correct forum.

and yeah, bejeweled and angry birds are not a threat to battlefield and modern warfare.

apples, meet oranges.

andycapps

It does certainly seem to be trending that way. If Sony wants the PSP to do anything, they've at least got to start embracing cheaper games on their downloadable services. I don't see a majority of people wanting a console like experience on a portable system, at this time.

polyh3dron said:
I see this is actually in the correct forum.

and yeah, bejeweled and angry birds are not a threat to battlefield and modern warfare.

apples, meet oranges.

These are portable revenue numbers. Apples to apples.

42% when both dedicated devices are being(or have been) replaced is not bad, & that's assuming Flurry are correct in the way they collect app data.

I have a 3DS but I don't really take it with me anywhere.
I will be buying a smartphone finally which, of course I will take everywhere.
I wish I had money for a PSP Vita but I won't after buying the phone.

There, that's what's going on here.

JCreasy

Bad_Boy said:

LMAO!

bytesized said:
I have a 3DS but I don't really take it with me anywhere.
I will be buying a smartphone finally which, of course I will take everywhere.
I wish I had money for a PSP Vita but I won't after buying the phone.

There, that's what's going on here.

This, so much.

They keep saying this, over and over again.

And then people keep buying more and more Mario and Pokemon and Zelda and Nintendogs and whathaveyou, over and over again.

No matter how much these blogs want to push that narrative, nothing will ever erode Nintendo's grip on gaming for as long as they control the most valuable thing - IPs.

Through the years the PSP is the more stable of all. What a beast.

I chuckle when people dismiss mobile gaming with "angry birds lol". Those seem to have no idea of the quality improvement of mobile gaming in such a short period of time, and the innovation that sprouts from it. Personally, I'm a believer.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
PSP is basically not selling much at all at this point.

3DS is at a rough start and PS Vita isn't out yet

Are they always going to fall on combining iOS and Android to prove a point?

MightyKAC

Sony's PSP and Nintendo's 3DS both will be important components to their existing and upcoming main gaming systems. So unless Sony stop selling PS3's or Nintendo cancels the Wii U both 3DS and the PSP won't be going anywhere.

SimleuqiR

Well, at least Sony is trying to keep a presence in the mobile gaming scene, with their platform on Android. Nintendo, not so much.

Trip Warhawkins said:

I chuckle when people dismiss mobile gaming with "angry birds lol". Those seem to have no idea of the quality improvement of mobile gaming in such a short period of time, and the innovation that sprouts from it. Personally, I'm a believer.

No matter what strides in mobile gaming there is, it will always be hindered by the touch screen input. Some games work great with that, but many will not.

If Sony or Nintendo made an app store for their games where devs could create their own games and submit then, said system would probably soar in sales.

Then again, its not really fair to say. People have an Android or iPhone, so they download games when they get bored. They dont buy them as a primary gaming machine. And to even compare sales is dumb. A phone in this day and age is more of a necessity than a PSP or 3DS.

Bad_Boy said:

HAHAH I LOVE THIS!

Trojita said:
PSP is basically not selling much at all at this point.

3DS is at a rough start and PS Vita isn't out yet

Are they always going to fall on combining iOS and Android to prove a point?

Combining them accomplishes nothing in terms of percentage points. It's an iOS game.

Look at the graph, Nintendo. I'll take my Nintendo iOS games now, Iwata.

captmcblack said:

And then people keep buying more and more Mario and Pokemon and Zelda and Nintendogs and whathaveyou, over and over again.

No matter how much these blogs want to push that narrative, nothing will ever erode Nintendo's grip on gaming for as long as they control the most valuable thing - IPs.

Yep, no matter how big Apple and Android get with portable gaming Nintendo will always be around because of their IPs and with Pokemon alone they can keep doing their own thing.

But with saying that I now do the majority of portable gaming on an iPad 2. If the 3DS could have all games be distributed digitally I'd get one right away rather than waiting for something significant I really want.

I have a 3DS. It collects dust. That would be different if there were worthwhile Virtual Console and 3D Classics games on it. Also, the resolution is terrible compared to my iPhone 4, which I use to game on every day. It's also a fucking phone, and it has much better resolution than a dedicated gaming console. smh

Nintendo needs to quit being so damn stubborn about putting their characters and games on other systems.

captmcblack said:

It's possible Nintendo could make money on its handhelds in perpetuity. But these numbers do suggest that their command of the market has shrunk a lot by every conceivable measure. They're making a lot less money from it.

MightyKAC

SimleuqiR said:
Well, at least Sony is trying to keep a presence in the mobile gaming scene, with their platform on Android. Nintendo, not so much.
Yeah, that reminds me, since Sony purchased Ericsson I wouldn't be surprised if the next revision of the Vita was a cell phone/gaming system/android platform.

Barrett2

Real competition in this space is the kick in the pants Nintendo and Sony need to reimagine their stagnant models of portable gaming.

touchscreen-only controls can suck a donkey dick and die a horribly painful death in a fire

d-pad, buttons and slide-pad or bust

Takao

Banned
This is a dumb chart. The fact that both of those platforms are significantly older than iOS would show decline as interest in software dies down. There's also the fact that the iOS market isn't necessarily taking money from the PSP, and DS market, but rather is expanding the market overall. Lastly, it doesn't really compare the gross of the average PSP, and DS title to the average iOS release.

Sony actually has an indie store in Minis, but if that's too expensive, and too limited an audience for you (PSP + PS3), you can choose Suite, which has lower requirements, and can target smartphones alongside Vita, and potentially PS3, PCs, and TVs.

blame space said:
touch cotrols suck

They do for traditional games (which I love to play). Could be solved by an addon (there are some slick ones with even more potential out there).

It comes down to price and availability. Same reason iTunes kicked the CD's ass. Sure CDs were better, unprotected, etc. But you had to go to a store, wait for shipping, keep track of media, etc. iTunes let you pay less than CD costs, keep everything together, and get that instant gratification.

Final Fantasy on iOS sells for $15. Square gets $10 of that and doesn't have any inventory, making that a much more valuable $10. Nintendo both can and can't compete with this. They can make their own app store, sell everything digitally, and slash prices drastically while retaining current profit margins. They can't give up Gamestop, Best Buy, etc. like Apple. I don't know what the solution is, but they are definitely in trouble.

Like the poster above, people choose to spend money on a smart phone and are happy playing the games that are available. Because Nintendo has chosen this market, that cuts them deeply. Sony is affected as well, because traditional gaming customers are nearly as big a market and developers will keep shifting resources.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Takao said:
This is a dumb chart. The fact that both of those platforms are significantly older than iOS would show decline as interest in software dies down. There's also the fact that the iOS market isn't necessarily taking money from the PSP, and DS market, but rather is expanding the market overall. Lastly, it doesn't really compare the gross of the average PSP, and DS title to the average iOS release.
Quoting for a sense of reality.

devildog820 said:
Like the poster above, people choose to spend money on a smart phone and are happy playing the games that are available. Because Nintendo has chosen this market, that cuts them deeply. Sony is affected as well, because traditional gaming customers are nearly as big a market and developers will keep shifting resources.
I'd rather wait for more interventions of the Japanese government on the Yen appreciation and giving Nintendo and Sony a chance to build a handheld platform with viable software than crow from the rooftops that both companies are on the path of destruction by being stubborn. If in 3-4 years down the track where handhelds are clearly not seen as a viable income source for both companies then you can carry on.

Marty Chinn said:
No matter what strides in mobile gaming there is, it will always be hindered by the touch screen input. Some games work great with that, but many will not.
No doubt, a traditional stick fighter will never be replaced with touch, but touch will (as it has) inspire new gameplay mechanics that will eventually pave the way for new genres. I have an atari 2600 joystick with a single red button sitting next to me. Back then I wouldn't even dream of a d-pad, let alone twin sticks. Pong didn't cease to exist completely, but the way of playing it did. I think the same will happen to twin sticks multi bumper behemoths of controllers. Not tomorrow, not in 7 years, but someday.

Why is ios and android combined?
Is Nintendo really that doomed is they had revenue of $1.4 billion?

Edit: ok I see the $1.4 billion is Nintendo and Sony, but still

Somnid

I'm confused, so they have NPD numbers and we know what regions those cover (and what things they don't cover), but what does flurry's number cover?

JCreasy

Trip Warhawkins said:

You know, I was thinking about this the other day.

How amazing is Infinity Blade!? I mean, I have the amazing graphics of a console game with a superb gameplay experience. Anything unnecessary is stripped out to ensure is the game runs well, but the best part is I DON'T MISS THOSE THINGS. I don't miss tons of cinematic hoopla that gets in the way for the gameplay anyway. All I have is a sweet game that looks great.

THAT is the achievement of mobile gaming. They're challenging the notion of that a triple A gameplay experience even is. This is where the true innovation is happening. iOS developers are forced to deliver interesting gameplay solutions because of the hardware framework, and REAL FUN is taking place.

Kinda reminds me of the conventional wisdom of entertainment provide by cable providers. The notion was that having literally hundred of channels to choose from meant the consumer would derive value from the bundled distribution model. But once consumer realized that stripping out the channels, ads and concept of scheduling could be accomplished by just streaming what you want to watch, completely new television industries were forged. I'm perfectly happy with Netflix and iTunes at home.

Same might be said for gaming. The notion was that bigger scale, cinematic experiences with hours of dialogue and miles a of superb graphical fidelity would translate to a higher value game. But does it? The stripped down experience I have with Infinity Blade has provided an incredible amount of great gameplay time for me. I can't wait for Infinity Blade II and I don't plan on picking up Battlefield 3 or MW3 any time soon.

shortstop

iamaustrian said:
touchscreen-only controls can suck a donkey dick and die a horribly painful death in a fire

d-pad, buttons and slide-pad or bust

Amen!

I really like my iPhone 4 and am amazed by the kind of graphics it can produce, but I find myself getting bored or frustrated by games, because of the poor controls. The only games that work well imo are racing games like Real Racing. Shooters? No thanks.

Orayn

This would be bad news for Nintendo and Sony if the portable gaming market didn't grow at all. PRO-TIP: It has.

jman2050

Joe Shlabotnik said:
It's possible Nintendo could make money on its handhelds into perpetuity. But these numbers do suggest that their command of the market has shrunk a lot by every conceivable measure. They're making a lot less money from it.

This is not how percentages work.

The analysis is pretty weak. The pie charts show that Android and iOS are increasing the size of the market. The falling sales of Nintendo and Sony over 2009, 2010 and 2011 show that since so many people already own these current generation handhelds, the new customer adoption rate is decreasing in subsequent years.

Also it's wrong to compare the Android + iOS game sales to the Nintendo/Sony handheld game sales. They're different markets and the respective marketing and purchasing patterns suggest very different interested demographics.

Poor Nintendo and Sony sales in terms of historical adoption rates can be attributed to the economic conditions but not, for the most part, to the growth of iOS and Android.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
polyh3dron said:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sionyboy/randomshop/duhlines.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Was debating including this in the OP as well...but I think regardless of the data...does anyone really think the trend isn't real?

Zhengi

That chart only shows the PSP and NDS for 2011. It doesn't show the 3DS game revenue.

Edit: Also, Christmas is just right around the corner. I would imagine that most of the sales for portable devices for the year happen around this time. It's very possible that by the end of 2011, the PSP/NDS/3DS slice of the pie would be bigger than iOS and Android gaming.

Socreges

Banned
Takao said:
Zhengi said:
That chart only shows the PSP and NDS for 2011. It doesn't show the 3DS game revenue.
Exactly.

Not to mention that Flurry Analytics has a vested interest in framing things this way, discouraging people from Nintendo/Sony handhelds and encouraging people to move to iOS/Android platform gaming.

And consider the language that Flurry uses:

Due in part to its demise in the portable game category, Nintendo...

jman2050

RubxQub said:
Was debating including this in the OP as well...but I think regardless of the data...does anyone really think the trend isn't real?

Which one, the trend that mobile gaming as a whole is growing in revenue? Or the one that says it's significantly eating into Nintendo/Sony's revenues? That's a very important distinction.

EDIT - That's not even considering whether the data is valid in the first place, but for the sake of argument I'll just assume it is.

Somnid

So now that I really read the article it's really just saying "you should make phone apps and use our product because we'll make you lots of money."

Kinda funny they point out the Mario on a burning platform after Media Create reports 300,000 SM3DLs sold in the first week. At 48,000yen apiece that's roughly 18 million in revenue. Can't wait for US numbers.

Socreges

Banned
jman2050 said:
EDIT - That's not even considering whether the data is valid in the first place, but for the sake of argument I'll just assume it is.
The data is probably valid. But Flurry seems to have no regard for context. Again, this is a mobile applications company so they've got a stake in publishing a misleading study like this.

Top Bottom