• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS + Android Gaming Destroying Nintendo and Sony

lol
if I can get an euro for every "Nintendo is doomed" thread, I'd be probably millionair by now.

also: everyone who claims touchscreen-only controls are comparable or even superior to d-pad and co is completly crazy in my book.
The day physical controls are gone, is the day I stop purchasing videogames altogether.
screw that shit

Codeblue

rezuth said:
If you want a reason its that the idea and format is dying. If Apple contributed or not to that is not that relevant.
Yes, this is the reason. Certainly has nothing to do with what Nintendo details in every financial meeting as the reason they're losing money.

iamaustrian said:
lol
if I can get an euro for every "Nintendo is doomed" thread, I'd be probably millionair by now.

also: everyone who claims touchscreen-only controls are comparable or even superior to d-pad and co is completly crazy in my book.
The day physical controls are gone, is the day I stop purchasing videogames altogether.
screw that shit
Nintendo is doomed=! what people are saying right now. The market has changed, and Nintendo must adapt. No, they're not doomed but if they wish to dominate as much as they have in previous years they have to adapt to the market.

rpmurphy

CoffeeJanitor said:
Nintendo is doomed=! what people are saying right now. The market has changed, and Nintendo must adapt. No, they're not doomed but if they wish to dominate as much as they have in previous years they have to adapt to the market.
"Iwata is probably bound by one or two sacrosanct rules at Nintendo –one of which is 'We build our own hardware, which the only platform on which our software runs.' As long as that rule remains in place, it doesn’t mater who is in charge or if the market has shifted to an open platform. With the ubiquity of broadband and the second screen and the huge popularity of the tablets, I think it's harder to support that kind of strategy -but until further notice, that strategy is not to be questioned [internally]." -John Taylor of Arcadia

It's lunacy. People are going way overboard in this.

Jokeropia

rezuth said:
Great! Guess thats why Nintendo is making their first year loss in 20+ years.
It's pretty misguided of you to assume any direct correlation in either direction. If Nintendo posts a FY loss, it's because the 3DS is selling well (at the new subsidized price) and the Yen/Dollar & Yen/Euro exchange rates are exceptionally unfavorable.

EVIL

mrklaw said:
You're assuming that because the device is portable, people only play out and about? That's naive.
No, its realistic. Not only because playing a large action game on a phone is unpractical, but also because you can't develop the same experience you get on a home console and sell them for $2,99 which is a very large factor in the popularity boom of the mobile game market.

I know (I am a developer) what type of games you can make for 2,99 and make a living off and those are in no way comparable to the games you play on dedicated handhelds.

This mobile market is a bubble, it will explode.

As soon as those consumers (those who want more then scrabble or angry birds, which is a pretty small market in the big pie chart of mobile users*) realize that they can't get the same experience they get when playing on a home console or a dedicated gaming handheld, Nintendo and Sony will be there to pick them up with cheaper home and handheld consoles and games at a price point that's sustainable for developers and affordable to consumers. (in the $15/20 range)

*because those who don't care, wouldn't have bought gaming handheld anyway. those are moms and dads who like the small distraction. its like browsing, checking the news. So its unfair in calculating them in this equation. are they a large part of the users, yes, the biggest, do they buy games on their phones? nope. Why would they when they download free ones.

muu

Wonder how this will play out once the full 2011 year is accounted for.

Obviously smartphone sales are continuing to rise, but 2010 Nintendo had 3DS coming right up the corner which would certainly eat into sales. Their biggest numbers also come from the holiday season, which is conveniently not included in the 2011 figures. Obviously they can't examine sales from the future, but it's as if other motives are at work to publish this kind of work right before the biggest sales periods. Smartphones have become ubiquitous enough that people will buy them throughout the year to replace aging phones, and sales numbers likely won't fluctuate nearly as much as a dedicated handheld during the holidays. Similar to stating Nintendo is doomed before every holiday season (and then seeing insane holiday sales that make up for deficits w/in the year), or more recently Japanese business journals like Sankei stating 3DS's failures w/ numbers that could be somewhat convincing, days before we learn of Mario 3DS's performance.

yurinka

Last Hearth said:
I don't accept your assertion that a game like Scribblenauts couldn't have been developed for the iOs anyway even if there were no DS. Furthermore, all I see people being hyped about the Vita is "Uncharted!" or "GOW!". To me those games are glorified ports and add nothing original, if they can be excited about that they can be equally excited over playing a direct port of Uncharted.
Yes, they are ports like Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land. And Scribblenauts too.

¬¬

Boney

Banned
yurinka said:
Yes, they are ports like Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land. And Scribblenauts too.

¬¬
One big difference is that none of the Vita games are done by the console teams by my understanding.

Who knows how Bend will rise up to the ocassion.

oh god i'm in this thread why

drkOne

It'll be interesting to see the chart in 2012, with the Vita and 3DS.
I haven't bought any DS game this year, nothing really big has come out.
And PSP has been weaker in terms of releases as well.

Delio

Boney said:
One big difference is that none of the Vita games are done by the console teams by my understanding.

Who knows how Bend will rise up to the ocassion.

oh god i'm in this thread why

Get out of the fire man!

Mrbob

iamaustrian said:
lol

screw that shit

Your last part is one reason I'm hoping for Vita to heavily succeed. I want a device with smaller indie games that aren't encumbered by bad control schemes. Vita can do everything the Itouch/Ipad can do and more.

There are plenty of great ios games, but not everything can be done touch only. On screen touch controls only go so far.

StevieP

Banned
Copernicus said:
Maybe Nintendo can climb out of oblivion by releasing a mario kart 8 and mario 34 and metriod 6.

Mario 34?? No way man, it's more like Mario 1066 amirite?
Wait right here, I'm going to go buy Madden and Call of Duty.

Fusebox said:
Lol! Nintend0wned.

I can't remember the last time I read something like this on a board like GAF.

Scribblenauts is already 99 cents. I think that says a lot about the economics of the App Store. It just is not sustainable for any type of substantial game development and putting faith in it that it can is just foolish.

Pastry

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Scribblenauts is already 99 cents. I think that says a lot about the economics of the App Store. It just is not sustainable for any type of substantial game development and putting faith in it that it can is just foolish.
It is a veterans day sale, there are sales literally every holiday. I fail to see how this spells doom.

Fusebox

Banned
Whatcha mean 'already' Marty, the game has been out for ages man. You're seeing signs of the apocalypse in your own shadow.

StevieP said:
I can't remember the last time I read something like this on a board like GAF.
Pretty rad wasn't it, I had to dig into the vault for that one!

Fusebox said:
Whatcha mean 'already' Marty, the game has been out for ages man. You're seeing signs of the apocalypse in your own shadow.

The game hasn't even been out for a month. Less than 30 day shelf life is good for game developers?

Fusebox

Banned
Why? Its a safe bet that every GAFer with a DS has Scribblenauts, I have it, let us get our 50 extra levels for a buck.

Although I'm not a tightarse and I actually bought it for $5 when it came out.

And if a million non-DS-owning, iOS owners buy Scribblenauts for a buck, does your friend not see any profit?

KingJ2002

Going over this thread... the only way nintendo and sony can compete on the graphical quality is to release annual updates akin to mobile phones.

price wise... neither company is willing to release 5 dollar games when they are already selling their titles for 3-10 times as much with their current releases.

which i can imagine them doing without segmenting their userbase significantly.

ultimately... what needs to happen is that hand helds need to further distance themselves from smartphones. Something completely unique needs to hit a handheld console that wouldnt make sense to add to a mobile phone.

that way the markets can remain as seperate as possible.

to be honest... the only thing smartphones are missing are game pads... and the xperia play addresses just that.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
neutralgamer02 said:
I would love for there to be a $0.99 2d iphone mario game. Would sell loads. Too bad it won't happen.

Somewhere out there a Chinese developer is making your wish come true

Raonak

Banned
Sony seems to be doing stuff right, with the whole PS Suite thing, sorta embracing android. and tying it into the vita.

Top Bottom