• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS + Android Gaming Destroying Nintendo and Sony

jman2050

Alextended said:
Eh, you do know successfull indie dd only games existed before iOS devices were created, right?

If their kick ass game needs physical inputs I'd hope they stick to a platform that offers those rather than ride a bandwagon.

Doesn't Steam let devs self-publish?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
jman2050 said:
Doesn't Steam let devs self-publish?
I think so. But you don't even need Steam as Minecraft and other titles prove. No-name developers using no big-name portals have been successful before.

There's no need to evangelise iOS as the potential savior of indies or anything else, outlets have always existed, as nice as it is to have another.

The only new trend I see is that new garage developers now often try to charge a sum on iOS (similar to XBLIG) while previously their first efforts would likely have been free before they felt confident to try and charge for the games. That's just a difference, not a plus or a minus, they could have charged on other platforms in the past if they wanted but I guess competition stopped them. It will probably shift either way on iOS too as times change and people expect more even from their $1 titles, nevermind how piracy will likely also come to affect the bigger releases if it continues being as easy as I hear.

Anyway I'm only speaking for relative short term here, I think I'd be a fool to anticipate what will happen in more than 5 years considering how rapidly technology changes and istuff could well be old news due to some hybrid or altogether new thing.

AkuMifune

Banned
giancarlo123x said:
If I was drinking something I would have spit my drink everywhere. Android and IOS gaming to me is alright but its just a quick 5 min distraction at most. While others may like that I dont.

To 90% of the market, 5 minute distractions are all mobile gaming needs to be. Though I wonder how a DS phone would do.

Burger

Despite all sorts of reports, statistics, and even plain common sense, people still don't believe this is happening? Sony and Nintendo should be worried. How many millions did Sony loose last year? They would be smart in killing their whole portable gaming division.

Amazing.

Alexios

Burger said:
Despite all sorts of reports, statistics, and even plain common sense, people still don't believe this is happening? Sony and Nintendo should be worried. How many millions did Sony loose last year? They would be smart in killing their whole portable gaming division.

Amazing.
Why don't you post some of your own sources and explain why you think so in a rational manner that doesn't only take Apple's own benefit or garage developers' benefit in account compared to publisher benefits on other platforms instead of put down everyone who disagrees with these skewed graphs with a half baked comment?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Burger said:

Amazing.
Your post paints a very unappealing future. :(

Buzzati

Banned
I've never understood this argument. So the people that bought millions of DS's and games decided it's time to play touch-screen pick-up-and-play games?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Fusebox said:
Oh okay, I didn't realize you meant new IP.

That works well for me though, you guys buy your DS games for $40 and I buy the superior iPad version later down the track for $5. Keep up the good work dedicated-handheld-GAF!

and that isn't sustainable. If not enough people buy the DS version because they're holding off for the $1.99 iOS version, there won't be enough money in the DS version to cover the costs of the iOS version.

Its an 'eating your own tail' model that'll fail.

I like Sony's model of traditional games on a capable platform with physical controls, plus a decent minis/independent delivery model for smaller games. If they can get enough of the better iOS games onto Vita that could make for a really compelling platform.

Burger

Alextended said:
Why don't you post some of your own sources and explain why you think so in a rational manner that doesn't only take Apple's own benefit or garage developers' benefit in account compared to publisher benefits on other platforms instead of put down everyone who disagrees with these skewed graphs with a half baked comment?

You just need to look at the sales figures for modern smartphones, the price points for games on the respective App Stores to know that portable gaming as we know it is in the shit.

I had a PSP once, had about 6 games for it. I've already spent more money on my iPhone, it's quick, accessible and immediate. Best of all, it's cheap and bite sized. Oh and I don't have to cary a PSP anywhere.

Nintendo cannot charge £30 for Super Mario Land and expect that sort of price point to remain viable.

Times have changed. It's like Borders expecting business as usual in the face of everything the internet allowed consumers to do.

Alexios

Burger said:
You just need to look at the sales figures for modern smartphones, the price points for games on the respective App Stores to know that portable gaming as we know it is in the shit.
Elaborate please. How does looking at the price points show handheld gaming is doomed? I guess if price point is the only factor then every non-Apple gaming is doomed, not just handhelds, because hey now you can connect your iStuff to your TVs also, huh? Oh wait, there are free games also, does that difference in price point show every gaming including Apple is doomed because free is less than even $1-10 and we ignore the millions of people that do buy shit you think is too expensive?

I had a PSP once, had about 6 games for it. I've already spent more money on my iPhone, it's quick, accessible and immediate. Best of all, it's cheap and bite sized. Oh and I don't have to cary a PSP anywhere.
Amazing. Because people were arguing absolutely nobody anywhere uses iOS, and you just proved them so wrong with well backed up hard facts. While the PSP was totally the most successful platform in the West so it not doing too well does show handheld gaming is in trouble. I have an iPad2 myself, I'm still getting a 3DS or Vita for the games I want and I've barely spent anything on the App Store. But anecdotal evidence and personal opinions don't dictate what happens to the world I'm afraid.

Nintendo cannot charge £30 for Super Mario Land and expect that sort of price point to remain viable.
Why not? It's certainly the best selling 3DS game yet and spurred hardware sales in a big way, with an opening that's the best opening for a 3D Mario game yet, in Japan for now. And why do you think that even if some day the price point isn't viable, that they can't just reduce the price point instead of give up on games and/or flock to iOS? Or do you also think that everything is going to be decided in this generation, within the next five years the dooming will have already happened for sure, so there's no time for anyone outside Apple to shift business focus to digital distribution over retail (a whole different topic that would be discussed regardless of Apple)?

Times have changed. It's like Borders expecting business as usual in the face of everything the internet allowed consumers to do.
Have they? I see all the publishers and developers still making games on all the platforms, from browser and facebook games, to phones and whatever else is out there, with most of their investments going to the consoles, handhelds and the many times over "doomed" PCs. Where's the change?

Burger

Alextended said:
Sorry, that doesn't cut it as sources or an explanation. Elaborate please. How does looking at the price points show handheld gaming is doomed? There are free games also, does that difference in price point show every gaming is doomed because free is less than eve $1-10 and we ignore the millions of people that do buy shit?

It's a trend, I can't prove anything, but the trend is that gaming on phones is on the up, and gaming on dedicated devices like PSPVita/3DS is on the wane. That's a trend.

It's not conclusive, it's not proof, it's a trend. Nintendo has the foresight to slash the price of the 3DS after lacklustre sales, Sony shouldn't even bother launching the Vita in my opinion.

As for the rest of your diatribe, I don't have time to write a feature length argument. Lets just say I started doing the same thing with Flash proponents earlier in the year before Flash was pulled off mobiles. The writing is on the wall, you can't prove anything but the trends are clear.

Burger said:

It's almost as if you don't like it, how could anyone like it, mirite?

I fuckin' love my iPhone. The camera's convenient (Though not replacing my P&S anytime soon.) the web browser works fantastically, the GPS has saved my ass a few times, I use it for playing music in my car and on the go, I occasionally use it as a video player via Netflix and video I've purchased from iTunes, and for text messaging and e-mail it's fantastic. And, of course, it's a great phone as well.

It just doesn't play games well. But that's not what I bought it for.

Alexios

Burger said:
gaming on dedicated devices like PSPVita/3DS is on the wane.
Source? It seems 3DS is on the rise rather than declining and PSVita has yet to be launched.

It's not conclusive, it's not proof, it's a trend.
A trend for what? You've yet to show what this trend does to harm handheld and other gaming.

The DS and PSP referenced in these charts being platforms on life support with their successors soon to take completely over their legacy doesn't qualify as such.

Burger said:
As for the rest of your diatribe, I don't have time to write a feature length argument. Lets just say I started doing the same thing with Flash proponents earlier in the year before Flash was pulled off mobiles. The writing is on the wall, you can't prove anything but the trends are clear.
And that diatribe which was nothing but common sense just easily countered the logic behind all your assumptions and all your conclusions considering that even assuming some of your assumptions were correct, nevermind the lack of evidence, that wouldn't necessarily spell doom for the platforms either. You should have used a car analogy.

StevieP

Banned
mrklaw said:
and that isn't sustainable. If not enough people buy the DS version because they're holding off for the $1.99 iOS version, there won't be enough money in the DS version to cover the costs of the iOS version.

I like Sony's model of traditional games on a capable platform with physical controls, plus a decent minis/independent delivery model for smaller games. If they can get enough of the better iOS games onto Vita that could make for a really compelling platform.

This this and more this.

I'm actually *happy* that there are more outlets for games. Hell, I wish Sega was still making consoles. And Atari. And and etc.

But if you don't think the race to the bottom barrel pricing affects development, the type of development, and the content of said development I've got an iPhone 5 to sell you.

When was the last time you saw an advertisement for an iOS game on TV? Oh, that's right, you didn't. There's a reason for it, and it has everything to do with the accepted price point not bringing in enough revenue.

I have no problem saying that Brain Age 2011 should be a $5-10 download on the 3DS - because it had damn well better not be $35. And it makes a perfect fit for that kind of input device (minus capacitive stylii of course). But a game like Uncharted GA or Mario 3D Land, as had been mentioned, cannot be sustained at any accepted iOS store price point.

Resident Evil 4 iOS cost little money to port, because the content already existed. But the original game absolutely cost a ton of money and time and only the $50 retail pricepoint could sustain it. A race to the bottom has been done before, and it didn't end well. For the sake of your $5 ports, you wouldn't want it to happen again.

Lets just say I started doing the same thing with Flash proponents earlier in the year before Flash was pulled off mobiles.

Both my mobile phone and my tablet has Flash. And it's great. Youtube HTML5 still sucks, and (as an example) I can view last night's daily show or last week's family guy episode or watch my content provider's (Rogers, in my case) live TV via their website. Your mobile should have it too. It is an inexcusable omission from any modern smart device, even if you and I both believe Flash sucks.

Firstly, I was not claiming iOS only. I mean mobile platforms such as iOS/Android/Windows Phone. When I talked about the exclusive, I meant any mobile platform that's not

I was not saying that touch screens can provide the same experience. In their current technological form, they clearly cannot. But the controller addon I held for the iPhone was pretty slick and wasn't even professionally produced.

Infinity Blade was not a special exclusive. It was neat, but not deep and was boring after a few days (at least to me). Plus, it was a new franchise and not established. The sea change will come when an established franchise publishes a first run game on the mobile platforms. That's why I used Dragon Quest as an example.

Indie games, of course, have always existed. But now they have the chance to get to a much larger market and the costs aren't nearly as prohibitive. Therefore it follows that we will see more indie devs taking risks because it won't bankrupt them.

Many people in this thread keep looking at the current state of the market and thinking it will go on forever. If you think Nintendo's management isn't afraid of the current trends, then you are misinformed. Looking to yourself and your friends and presenting that anecdotal evidence as a reason all the pundits are wrong is folly. Think about how successful the DS was and think about Brain Age. How many people bought a DS for Brain Age or other casual games like that? Now think about all those people just using their cell phone instead.

No, cell phone gaming is not the same. But it's where the market is going. I would love to play a DS/Vita game on my iPhone and just carry around a little controller extension for the serious games. That's anecdotal, of course. GAFfers and others will always want a dedicated system. The problem remains that that market is going to be relatively too small in the future.

edit: People are also arguing about the super low prices on the App Stores. That will change too. People have already showed they are willing to pay higher prices for quality apps. Prices have edged up as more and more users trust the App Stores and learn how to use them. Sure, people are gonna still buy more $0.99 games, but other games will gross much higher revenue.

Alexios

devildog820 said:
Indie games, of course, have always existed. But now they have the chance to get to a much larger market and the costs aren't nearly as prohibitive. Therefore it follows that we will see more indie devs taking risks because it won't bankrupt them.
Less prohibitive than zero and larger market than potential millions depending on the appeal of the game (of course a few thousands or hundreds of thousands are more common, with many failures on top, but that's the case for iOS too)? You do know I was implying PCs as a platform that has always nurtured indie development, right? Seems that you're just a bit ignorant about some facets of the industry you're discussing. And besides, if you get a single semi success anywhere even console development costs become a non issue for someone who was previously broke. Handheld devkits and licences haven't been prohibitive in quite some time and console dev kits are getting cheaper too.

Many people in this thread keep looking at the current state of the market and thinking it will go on forever
I agree, people look at Apple making a killing and think it will continue forever and ever until they kill everything else off, nevermind evidence showing otherwise or the fact a new mass market trend could show up 5 years from now from existing or new companies.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
I'm okay with this. I'm probably never going to buy another handheld console post-Nintendo DS. Game over.

Alextended said:
Less prohibitive than zero and larger market than potential millions depending on the appeal of the game (of course a few thousands or hundreds of thousands are more common)? You do know I was implying PCs as a platform that has always nurtured indie development, right? Seems that you're just a bit ignorant about facets of the industry you're discussing.

I am only talking in the context of mobile gaming, which is a different animal in most cases. When I talk about prohibitive, I mean Nintendo's and Sony's terms for their stores. Better mobile games could come out of this, is what I was getting at.

Let's not resort to name calling. You are making good points already.

Alextended said:
I agree, people look at Apple making a killing and think it will continue forever and ever until they kill everything else off, nevermind evidence showing otherwise or the fact a new trend could show up 5 years from now.

Yup. In no way do I think Apple will dominate forever. But until the next big jump in mobile tech comes, cell phones (not just iPhones) are it.

Alexios

Why? Money is the same regardless of where it comes from. An indie dev puts out a game in hopes of making money from what he loves, and the platform being mobile or immobile doesn't affect that, only the potential success. You spoke as if iOS is the savior of indies. I simply disagreed with that as indies didn't need a savior. And yes, it's nice to have another viable platform, I never said it isn't. I don't think I name called but whatever.

Yup. In no way do I think Apple will dominate forever. But until the next big jump in mobile tech comes, cell phones (not just iPhones) are it.
Phones are what? Going by 3DS it seems its issues had nothing to do with phones as it's picking up pace in the same manner systems before it did once the pricing and games were there. Why would anyone assume Vita doesn't have the potential to do similar based on Sony's own decisions and instead Phones have to dominate everything within the next 5 years (since major business shifts can be done past that by handheld developers also if the issues mentioned here do become a real problem, it's not like they've remained static up until now, a few years ago we were discussing Nintendo similar to how Apple is discussed now, and other companies still did more than fine despite that as previous audiences for certain types of games don't disappear just because new audiences are added to the pool).

In the end, maybe some of the casual DS crowd will move to phones and tablets. But even kids will want a 3DS once games like Pokemon show up, nevermind the more serious gamer. Nintendo and other companies can still attract both casual and core gamers in their own way. If they fail or not is up to their own decisions, not phones.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Not a surprise. I've been saying for a while now that dedicated handhelds are going the way of the dodo, for better or worse.

mrklaw said:

This! Everyone read this! I keep screaming this and people still don't seem to get it. This is the bubble that's going to burst with massive fallout that will hurt both developers and consumers in the end. People don't seem to get it.

People don't understand that just because there is a surge of popularity and a rising trend that it means that it's a viable model. We see it all the time. The dot.com era, Netflix, social gaming, and now this.

If you're ok with shorter and more simple games, then that's fine, but it's the death of higher quality, more in depth games that we'll be losing as a result of this change in handheld gaming. I don't deny that people are moving towards iOS; in fact I fully see it, and that's the problem. It just amazes me that people seem to think everything can be dramatically lowered in price with no side effects. People think they can get rid of the $30 to $60 game for a 99 cent game and still get the same experience. People want to cut their $70 cable bill to pay $8 a month for the same content. What crazy unrealistic expectations do people have?

Buzzati said:
I've never understood this argument. So the people that bought millions of DS's and games decided it's time to play touch-screen pick-up-and-play games?

In terms of the casual market, I'd guess so. But it's not a matter of "I had a DS but now I want to play touch screen bite sized games." I'd say it's more of a case of the casual DS crowd from a few years ago now have iPhones and iPads that do a whole lot more and are with them a whole lot more...which also happen to have a great game libraries.

Marty Chinn said:
This! Everyone read this! I keep screaming this and people still don't seem to get it. This is the bubble that's going to burst with massive fallout that will hurt both developers and consumers in the end. People don't seem to get it.

People don't understand that just because there is a surge of popularity and a rising trend that it means that it's a viable model. We see it all the time. The dot.com era, Netflix, social gaming, and now this.

If you're ok with shorter and more simple games, then that's fine, but it's the death of higher quality, more in depth games that we'll be losing as a result of this change in handheld gaming. I don't deny that people are moving towards iOS; in fact I fully see it, and that's the problem. It just amazes me that people seem to think everything can be dramatically lowered in price with no side effects. People think they can get rid of the $30 to $60 game for a 99 cent game and still get the same experience. People want to cut their $70 cable bill to pay $8 a month for the same content. What crazy unrealistic expectations do people have?

Meh, most people don't want that level of depth in their handheld games, and for those that do there will always be ports. They are porting FF III and IV now, in a year they will be porting FF VII and VIII and in five years they can port FFXII and FFXIII.

StevieP

Banned
Last Hearth said:
Meh, most people don't want that level of depth in their handheld games, and for those that do there will always be ports. They are porting FF III and IV now, in a year they will be porting FF VII and VIII and in five years they can port FFXII and FFXIII.

But those original games wouldn't have existed had it not been for $50(+ in some of those FF's cases) pricetag. Do you not understand what he's trying to say?

Some people may want handheld gaming to turn into a 10-minute-on-the-can timewaster, and that's fine. We've all been there. This is certainly not "most" people, though. Some people also want meatier experiences and race-to-the-bottom pricing cannot sustain those experiences in any fashion - not the least of which is development cost.

Jokeropia

Takao said:
This is a dumb chart. The fact that both of those platforms are significantly older than iOS would show decline as interest in software dies down.
This.

It really speaks for the glaring ignorance of the people pushing this nonsense that they make such fundamental mistakes.
article said:
Nintendo is indeed struggling, even with its powerful stable of original IP led by Mario Brothers, and despite the fact that the exchange rate between the Japanese Yen and U.S. dollar is currently in its favor.
Haha, what did I just say? The very unfavorable Yen to Dollar exchange rate is a primary reason to why many Japanese companies (Nintendo and Sony included) are taking a hit in the results right now. You'd fail a high-school student for a blunder like that, and these guys are supposed to be professional analysts? Baffling.

StevieP said:
But those original games wouldn't have existed had it not been for $50(+ in some of those FF's cases) pricetag. Do you not understand what he's trying to say?

Some people may want handheld gaming to turn into a 10-minute-on-the-can timewaster, and that's fine. We've all been there. This is certainly not "most" people, though. Some people also want meatier experiences and race-to-the-bottom pricing cannot sustain those experiences in any fashion - not the least of which is development cost.

You're missing my point, which is that you don't need a dedicated hand-held system/ to keep that ecosystem going. Instead of porting PSP games they can port PS2 and Xbox games, and in the future PS3 and 360 games, etc. Unless you think the home console market is dying, there will be no shortage of olders games they can port over to mobiles devices on the cheap.

Alexios

Last Hearth said:
You're missing my point, which is that you don't need a dedicated hand-held system/ to keep that ecosystem going. Instead of porting PSP games they can port PS2 and Xbox games, and in the future PS3 and 360 games, etc. Unless you think the home console market is dying, there will be no shortage of olders games they can port over to mobiles devices on the cheap.
If these devices can kill handhelds why can't they kill home systems also when they start getting their games and connecting to TVs becomes more common and they retain all the traits and price benefits that have people here convinced are killing handhelds? Makes no sense to believe they'll kill handhelds but leave consoles alone really. Makes much sense to believe all can survive especially after seeing 3DS issues had little to do with phones and everything to do with Nintendo's own reverted decisions.

jman2050

commish said:
Not a surprise. I've been saying for a while now that dedicated handhelds are going the way of the dodo, for better or worse.

Did you actually read any of this thread or did you just perform confirmation bias based on a study that's been argued to be flawed several times over by many different people?

Last Hearth said:

You can't sustain an entire market on firesale ports. I'd love to see them try just for curiosity's sake but it won't work.

Christine

Jokeropia said:
You'd fail a high-school student for a blunder like that

I only wish that were true. The sad fact is that most people are terribly ignorant of subjects to do with economics and finance. I know too many highly educated people for whom the topic is a mystery wrapped in a conundrum wrapped in apathy to believe that these topics are adequately addressed in primary education.

(Talkin' 'bout 'merrca here. Fuck Yeah!)

Alextended said:
If these devices can kill handhelds why can't they kill home systems also when they start getting their games and connecting to TVs becomes more common and they retail all the traits and price benefits that have people here convinced are killing handhelds? Makes no sense to believe they'll kill handhelds but leave consoles alone really. Makes much sense to believe all can survive especially after seeing 3DS issues had little to do with phones and everything to do with Nintendo's own reverted decisions.

No, because they are completely different markets. Playing on the big screen on your couch at home is a completely different experience from playing on the train on your way to work/school. That's like saying being able to watch movies on your iPhone/iPad is going to kill the big screen TV market.

Mrbob

Karma said:
Vita has an App store?

Yes. An indie developer of an IOS/Android game months ago said their Vita version was done, just waiting on the hardware to be released.

iOS and Vita hardware is pretty closely tied. Sony should be pushing to get these smaller games on the platform.

hyp

BocoDragon said:
I'm starting to kind of distrust the GAF discourse on this issue. It's like the most concentrated mass of people who don't want this to happen. I don't know if a mobile takeover of the market is inevitable, but I know that this place is generally where they'd stick their heads in the sand, were that to occur....
it's like a bad episode of intervention on here. =]

jman2050

Last Hearth said:
No, because they are completely different markets.

So phones and dedicated handhelds are the same market but theoretical tablets that hook up to the TV and consoles are not?

Burger

Alextended said:
Phones are what? Going by 3DS it seems its issues had nothing to do with phones as it's picking up pace in the same manner systems before it did once the pricing and games were there. Why would anyone assume Vita doesn't have the potential to do similar based on Sony's own decisions and instead Phones have to dominate everything within the next 5 years (since major business shifts can be done past that by handheld developers also if the issues mentioned here do become a real problem, it's not like they've remained static up until now, a few years ago we were discussing Nintendo similar to how Apple is discussed now, and other companies still did more than fine despite that as previous audiences for certain types of games don't disappear just because new audiences are added to the pool).

Nintendo is preparing to unleash the full force of its development and marketing artillery against Apple after profits tumbled at the Japanese giant for the first time in six years. […]

Satoru Iwata, the Nintendo president, is understood to have told his senior executives recently to regard the battle with Sony as a victory already won and to treat Apple, and its iPhone and iPad devices, as the “enemy of the future” .

UK Times Online.

So Nintendo see Apple as a major threat, but you don't?

Alexios

I don't see a direct quoted source, do you? Underlining the site doesn't make it more likely. And it's one thing to see them as a so called enemy and another to believe they will kill off everything else. Nintendo certainly didn't kill off Sony and Microsoft even if they think they've won which I doubt they do. Do you?

Why not respond properly to our little discussion before moving on to other things anyway?

But hey I guess I should be thankful if that's the type of source and evidence you can come up to support your assumptions and conclusion with.

jman2050 said:
So phones and dedicated handhelds are the same market but theoretical tablets that hook up to the TV and consoles are not?

You're not seriously asserting that saying multi-purpose mobile devices will replace dedicated hand-held gaming devices is the same as saying that the same devices will replace home-theaters and large screen TVs?

That's what you're going with? Really?

kehs

Banned
Burger said:
Nintendo is preparing to unleash the full force of its development and marketing artillery against Apple after profits tumbled at the Japanese giant for the first time in six years. […]

Satoru Iwata, the Nintendo president, is understood to have told his senior executives recently to regard the battle with Sony as a victory already won and to treat Apple, and its iPhone and iPad devices, as the “enemy of the future” .

UK Times Online.

So Nintendo see Apple as a major threat, but you don't?

Threats for companies means less profits.

Threats for gaming-gaf means more "real games".

jman2050

Last Hearth said:
You're not seriously asserting that saying multi-purpose mobile devices will replace dedicated hand-held gaming devices is the same as saying that the same devices will replace home-theaters and large screen TVs?

Consoles man. Consoles

StevieP

Banned
Last Hearth said:

Nobody said anything about large screen TVs. We're talking about consoles.
You said "don't worry, there will be tons of consoles to port at bargain basement prices"

TV docks are commonplace for many tablets that aren't apple. One HDMI plug, some gamepads... and what is your tablet now?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
jman2050 said:
Did you actually read any of this thread or did you just perform confirmation bias based on a study that's been argued to be flawed several times over by many different people?

Every study known to mankind since the beginning of time is "flawed" in some way, especially in the eyes of those who do not like the study's outcome. That doesn't change the fact that the trend is moving away from dedicated handhelds.

I was going to say something...but you know what?
F*ck this debate.
It's pointless economic bickering and soothsaying based on trends by people who aren't economists.
I'm done.

*goes to play more FF Type-0*

Christine

commish said:
Every study known to mankind since the beginning of time is "flawed" in some way, especially in the eyes of those who do not like the study's outcome. That doesn't change the fact that the trend is moving away from dedicated handhelds.

That's a hilariously delusional false equivalence you've got going there.

Alexios

StevieP said:
Nobody said anything about large screen TVs. We're talking about consoles.
You said "don't worry, there will be tons of consoles to port at bargain basement prices"

TV docks are commonplace for many tablets that aren't apple. One HDMI plug, some gamepads... and what is your tablet now?
Apple too actually.

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/accessories/

I'm pretty sure you can do more than just mirroring too, like having the "action' show just on the TV and different GUI only stuff on the iPad in a game.

I mean I think it was the reason people were calling it a Nintendo Wii U killer on top of everything else some time ago so yeah I think it can do that stuff too, lol.

jman2050

commish said:
That doesn't change the fact that the trend is moving away from dedicated handhelds.

No one has yet demonstrated an actual trend. You have the disparate trends of the burgeoning smartphone game market growing in revenue and the transitional period between dedicated handhelds, but no one has actually proven a trend associating both together.

Most of the actual data we have points to the opposite, that both industries are trending on their own terms.

XOMTOR

Burger said:

So you traded access to some of the best games anywhere for the convenience of a multifunction device? Games like Crisis Core, MGS Peace Walker, the God of War games, Resistance Retribution, Little Big Planet, Grand Theft Auto, Kingdom Hearts, Killzone Liberation, Persona etc. etc. Not to mention access to the PSOne's huge library.

I'm pretty sure they can, it's Mario. It'll sell. Tons of it.

Top Bottom